Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread [+post p12]: Walsall v Charlton Athletic | Tues 23rd Aug 2022 (League Cup 2nd Round)

1121314151618»

Comments

• Options
    I worked with a Richard Head.
    Of course we called him Dick.
    The members of the public couldn’t help but chuckle. Especially by the time he made Detective & he had to wear a name badge.
    Great icebreaker.

Anyway. Why does every Bill Clarke get called Nobby? My Uncle being one 🤔
    I take no offence at people calling me Dick … after all, I am the man they named twice 🤣 ( if you know, you know )
  • Options
    As it was a boring but successful victory this is a welcome tangent.

I worked with a woman who's maiden name was Ruth Smith which is fairly run of the mill but she married a Tommy Tyler so looked down on everyone as a Ruth Tyler.
  • Options
    Are we formally known as Adrichards then?
  • Options
    Watching the replay, it's inconclusive whether there was a handball or not. Certainly no reaction from the Charlton players

What WOULD clear things up is it someone in the away end had filmed the incident, but nobody seems to have done so!
  • Options
    I worked with a Richard Head.
    Of course we called him Dick.
    The members of the public couldn’t help but chuckle. Especially by the time he made Detective & he had to wear a name badge.
    Great icebreaker.

Anyway. Why does every Bill Clarke get called Nobby? My Uncle being one 🤔
    British army slang but origin may come from clarks, the job that is, being slightly posh to working class people so they were "nobs" or nobbily fingers from writing letter.

• Options
    Watching the replay, it's inconclusive whether there was a handball or not. Certainly no reaction from the Charlton players

What WOULD clear things up is it someone in the away end had filmed the incident, but nobody seems to have done so!
    Best case it hits his shoulder, but then when he is screaming at the referee he is pointing at the middle of his chest. Seems an admission of guilt to me 
  • Options
    To the best of my knowledge 'young' ( 40 and under) 'Richards' tend to shorten their name to Rick rather than Dick but nothing wrong with Dick as an abbreviated name for Richard in my opinion.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    To the best of my knowledge 'young' ( 40 and under) 'Richards' tend to shorten their name to Rick rather than Dick but nothing wrong with Dick as an abbreviated name for Richard in my opinion.

As a 'young' fellow myself the only Richards I know shorten it to Rich.
  • Options
    I am a Dickie and I don’t take offense.
    i would rather be known as Billericay Dickie, than Billericay Richard!
    My given name is Dickie
    I come from Billericay
    And I'm doing very well
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    We don’t need the distraction of a big tie at this stage of the season. A small, unattractive club will do nicely to further fine tune the squad
    The next round isn't until November.

Anyone who doesn't want a big team needs their head tested imo
    Anybody who supports charlton needs their head tested.

I take it you’d like a big club and the main topic of discussion for players and fans for the next two months or so will be about that fcking game. It would be a distraction, pure and simple.

Isn't that a bit like arguing against a holiday, a special night out, or a birthday party. Heaven forbid, people might look back and say what a great time they had and not talk instead about ordinary everyday routines. Let's live a humdrum life so as to avoid unnecessary distractions. F**k that. You're reminding me of lockdown.
  • Options
    November is ages away, it's not as if players will be protecting themselves until then, just so though they can play Arsenal's reserves. 

After all if that was the case, all players with the chance to go to the Qatar World Cup would be going through the motions for 3 months
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    LenGlover said:

As a 'young' fellow myself the only Richards I know shorten it to Rich.
    Absolutely right.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:
    seth plum said:

Whoever calls Chinn ‘Dicky’ is a dick.

Dicky is a traditional nickname for Richard. 

I thought everybody knew that? :smile:

Dicky Attenborough and Dicky Mountbatten were used as terms of endearment. Where saying someone is a Richard could be taken as an insult if you are a Londoner 🙄

Maybe in Cockney rhyming slang, sure we all know what a 'Richard the Third' is. 
    Surely that's not the inference here though.

But plenty of blokes christened 'Richard', use the monica Dick themselves, several people I know personally - and even former Charlton players, for example: Dick Plumb, Dick Tydeman, etc. It's just the traditional familiar nickname for Richard.

Maybe Richard Chin, whether he likes it or not, is known as Dickie Chin by his team mates at Charlton.
    Anyway, whatever.  :smile:

Someone should tell Seth that no offence is meant to Richard Chin in being called Dicky whether by team mates or fans. Ask Chalky White, Nobby Clarke, Jumper Cross, or my  mate Big Willie.

'Seth, loosen up you Plum.'
    I don't think 'Dicky' is offensive, just rather a uninspired adaptation of Richard.
    Well, I don't know about uninspired ........ it was always generally the default shortening of Richard and it's been around a long time: Dick Whittington, Dick Turpin, Dickie Valentine, Dickie Henderson, Dick Cheney, Dick Van Dyke, Dickie Chin. :smile:

A bit like people    named Robert being traditionally called Bob. Or a Henry being called Harry.  @Harry Irving  

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    seth plum said:
    Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:
    seth plum said:

Dicky Attenborough and Dicky Mountbatten were used as terms of endearment. Where saying someone is a Richard could be taken as an insult if you are a Londoner 🙄

But plenty of blokes christened 'Richard', use the monica Dick themselves, several people I know personally - and even former Charlton players, for example: Dick Plumb, Dick Tydeman, etc. It's just the traditional familiar nickname for Richard.

Maybe Richard Chin, whether he likes it or not, is known as Dickie Chin by his team mates at Charlton.

Someone should tell Seth that no offence is meant to Richard Chin in being called Dicky whether by team mates or fans. Ask Chalky White, Nobby Clarke, Jumper Cross, or my  mate Big Willie.

I don't think 'Dicky' is offensive, just rather a uninspired adaptation of Richard.
    Well, I don't know about uninspired ........ it was always generally the default shortening of Richard and it's been around a long time: Dick Whittington, Dick Turpin, Dickie Valentine, Dickie Henderson, Dick Cheney, Dick Van Dyke, Dickie Chin. :smile:

A bit like people    named Robert being traditionally called Bob. Or a Henry being called Harry.  @Harry Irving  

Or ‘Nigel’ being called ‘Spotty Virgin’.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bloody impressive from Morgan, to be playing nearly every game and closing down like that.

Top levels of fitness from him

Feels like he's one of the first names picked by Garner at the moment.
    Good that the club highlighted Morgan's work before the goal. Indeed impressive workrate and fitness, but then I remember his physical break through was in 2020 when he came back after the summer much leaner.
  • Options
    Spurs away is top of the list for me. Want to see that stadium
    Ever been to City airport?  It reminded me of that.
  • Options

Henry Richard "Dick" Head (3 April 1887 – 20 December 1940 in Adelaide, South Australia), was an Australian rules football player who played 143 games with West Adelaide in the South Australian Football League (SAFL).

Richard Head
    Richard Headjpg
    Personal information
    Full nameHenry Richard Head
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    seth plum said:
    Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:
    seth plum said:

I don't think 'Dicky' is offensive, just rather  a uninspired adaptation of Richard.
    As you appear to be rather opinionated (your right) and particular, on numerous matters, I'm inspired to point out it is  'an uninspired' adaptation.
    Otherwise I wouldn't give a monkey's.  B)
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    What a quality pass from Leaburn!
  • Options
    Major said:
    seth plum said:
    Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:
    seth plum said:

I don't think 'Dicky' is offensive, just rather  a uninspired adaptation of Richard.
    As you appear to be rather opinionated (your right) and particular, on numerous matters, I'm inspired to point out it is  'an uninspired' adaptation.
    Otherwise I wouldn't give a monkey's.  B)
    I am most certainly opinionated.
    The word ‘Dicky’ reminds me of that (uncool) Rugby Song #The hairs on her dicky dido#.

• Options
    Leuth said:
    He's started 3 games this season. In one he assisted, in the next he ran QPR ragged, in the next he got the winner. He makes things happen, gets stuck in, has the technical ability. This is why it annoys me so much when he gets constantly written off.
    Spot on.  I agree with comments about consistency but he has never had a run of games playing in his preferred position.  As Morgan is proving , that’s entirely beneficial to a player .  
  • Options
    Major said:
    Scoham said:
    What a quality pass from Leaburn!
    This is an excellent bit of commentary too. 
  • Options
    My comment on the disallowed Warsaw goal is that initially a goal but the striker gave it away with his ham performance of injustice (he needs better acting lessons).

As for Richard/Dick - My name is Marion but people call me John Wayne.