Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Results of match day attendance survey: TOO EXPENSIVE

Comments

• Options
    IdleHans said:
    The £23 seats are awful
    Apart from terrible view and lack of legroom, there's a good number of idiots down there whose proximity makes spending another £6 to go elsewhere money well spent. Except then it's £29 and when you can stream for a tenner it's not a hard choice. I will still go, but my overall spend on tickets and in-ground purchases will be less than in previous seasons.
    But? In the UK?
    I assume that you're changing your IP address.
    Why on earth wouldn't you ?
  • Options
    Some really good data there, nothing earth shatteringly surprising for most of us, so just hope the club listens.
  • Options
    To clarify, ticket prices on the whole are too high
     On that I agree with the majority.

My observation was that there are more affordable options and it is easy to buy in them (lower North) and walk upstairs to better seats (might not be right but it is possible and done regularly imo).

Limited capacity maybe but not full so far this season (upper or lower North).

There are also loads of freebies from season ticket holders available.

I suspect many on here saying they won't go because of price actually wouldn't go if it was £15-20.

Not seen a single post or thread asking for a season ticket holders free ticket, yet this site has a history of having supported fans whom have asked this sort of thing before.

Overall though, of course a L1 club coming off the back of it's worst season for ages should not have tickets priced at +£30, especially when cost of living means discretionary spend is under so much pressure for everyone.
  • Options
    If you have a lower North ticket, can you get into upper North, then? 

Serious question. Didn't know that. Just thought Upper North and NW quadrant were connected. 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    The £23 seats are awful
    Apart from terrible view and lack of legroom, there's a good number of idiots down there whose proximity makes spending another £6 to go elsewhere money well spent. Except then it's £29 and when you can stream for a tenner it's not a hard choice. I will still go, but my overall spend on tickets and in-ground purchases will be less than in previous seasons.
    But? In the UK?
    I was thinking more of the midweek games. Obviously I'm far too honest to stream a Saturday game using a VPN, even if I did know how to do it.
  • Options
    I didn't buy a season ticket this season for a number of reasons. Recently bought a house that is a bit of a renovation project and spending the majority of my spare time (and money) on that, an unwell member of my partners family meaning we are spending a significant about of time traveling back and forward to Bath to see them, a young niece that I'm helping out with. All of this meant that I couldn't go as much as I wanted for the back end of last season and with the football offered up it felt like I was going because I had the ST rather than because I wanted to. So I planned to go game by game as and when I could make it this season.

I've actually been able to make a couple of games this season but have chosen not to (Other than QPR in the carabao because I was taking my partners dad who is QPR) because i dont want to spend that money on a ticket which is clearly overpriced even for the shit seats plus travel costs. I'd rather spend it on a bag of plaster and spend it skimming a wall even in 30+ degree heat. 
  • Options
    All that said, my Plymouth ticket in the west upper was definitely worth it. If only every week were like that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    if the Lass and I came up from Dorset for the Exeter game it would cost us £140 in travel and ticket costs. - too much
  • Options

Serious question. Didn't know that. Just thought Upper North and NW quadrant were connected. 
    Yep 26 quid and walk up 

or free as many people I saw Sat Jibed in … 
  • Options

Yep 26 quid and walk up 

or free as many people I saw Sat Jibed in … 
    I have pm'd you.
  • Options
    My very rough guesstimate is that the club is probably down about £25k per game on ticket revenue compared to what they would have got at last season’s prices through non-attendance of match purchasers due to cost. It’s hard to see that they are making that up from actual match sales at the higher prices (bearing in mind the lower Covered End match price is unchanged). 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    The £23 seats are awful
    But? In the UK?
    Well, as @IdleHans says himself above, it's dishonest but I am not going to judge on that.

Another reason is that it's expensive for the picture quality imo.

Thirdly, we've been crap for ages and although I would still go to most, if not all, home matches if I still lived in the south east of England, spending my Saturday afternoons on the sofa often makes me generally grumpy.

Out of curiosity then @Fanny Fanackapan, you say 'why wouldn't you' which seems odd because you do go to the matches, don't you?
  • Options
    To clarify, ticket prices on the whole are too high
     On that I agree with the majority.

My observation was that there are more affordable options and it is easy to buy in them (lower North) and walk upstairs to better seats (might not be right but it is possible and done regularly imo).

Limited capacity maybe but not full so far this season (upper or lower North).

There are also loads of freebies from season ticket holders available.

I suspect many on here saying they won't go because of price actually wouldn't go if it was £15-20.

Not seen a single post or thread asking for a season ticket holders free ticket, yet this site has a history of having supported fans whom have asked this sort of thing before.

Overall though, of course a L1 club coming off the back of it's worst season for ages should not have tickets priced at +£30, especially when cost of living means discretionary spend is under so much pressure for everyone.
    The Lower North has a limited capacity of 3000 ish, so once 3000 people have bought tickets for that area, anyone else won't be able to buy a ticket at that price anyway.

Besides it's like saying that First Class on trains is good value because you can buy Standard tickets then go and sit in First anyway
    Don't you get a fine for doing that though? I'm quite sure that you do in France at any rate. What about in the UK? If not, then I'll do that next time I am over😉
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I know that streaming a 3pm Saturday kick off is once again against the rules, but I'd say there's a good chance that TS turns a Nelsonian eye to the hordes of Charlton fans tuning in from far flung locations. £10 less VAT is better than nothing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IdleHans said:
    The £23 seats are awful
    But? In the UK?
    Well, as @IdleHans says himself above, it's dishonest but I am not going to judge on that.

Thirdly, we've been crap for ages and although I would still go to most, if not all, home matches if I still lived in the south east of England, spending my Saturday afternoons on the sofa often makes me generally grumpy.

Out of curiosity then @Fanny Fanackapan, you say 'why wouldn't you' which seems odd because you do go to the matches, don't you?
    Dishonest ? Really ? I don't regard myself as a dishonest person but if I'm unable to support, in person, the club I've supported for longer than you've been alive, then maybe, using the means available, I should be open to criticism....

I'd ask you to consider the situation your lovely parents found themselves in a few years ago, and one which your Addick brothers in the UK might also be in eventually.

In the days when we'd get to as many games away from home per season as possible ( as well as just about 100% of home games, being season ticket holders) we'd invariably see your Mum & Dad in attendance too- a heartwarming sight - and would exchange a few words with them en route to our seats. 

We'd also be at most Reserves' matches at Welling, and they were there too. You may well recall those days...

However, as age & perhaps, health issues, made it less possible for them to travel away, and then to home games, their presence was sorely missed by those of us who know them. And I feel sure that they miss those days too.

THIS is the position we are beginning to lurch towards, especially with regard to away games further north than the Midlands...partly due to energy levels decreasing plus the cost of travel /overnight stays. 

Now, your dear parents may feel at odds with our thoughts, but if by paying £10 to stream a match we're unable to attend ( for various reasons) then we'll continue to do so. Our weekly "fix" of watching our beloved team is often the difference between feeling bereft & feeling as close as is possible to actually "being there" which I trust you will understand. 

Until the method that we, and I believe many others, are currently utilising becomes illegal, then we shall continue to enjoy our football EVERY week throughout the season. End of.

Maybe "respect your elders" is something you might consider & remember that one day, you too will be a wrinkly.....
    Well said Fanny. For many reasons there are alot of us that cant attend as many games as we would like and the stream is the only way we can watch and also contribute financially to the club we love. I personally have missed a game since it started. That more money the club have had than it would have had from me without it. I personally have said before I would have absolutely no objection to paying the same price for the stream as I would a ticket. I just dont get the argument about the stream cutting crowd numbers
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    IdleHans said:
    The £23 seats are awful
    But? In the UK?

Dishonest ? Really ? I don't regard myself as a dishonest person but if I'm unable to support, in person, the club I've supported for longer than you've been alive, then maybe, using the means available, I should be open to criticism....

I'd ask you to consider the situation your lovely parents found themselves in a few years ago, and one which your Addick brothers in the UK might also be in eventually.

In the days when we'd get to as many games away from home per season as possible ( as well as just about 100% of home games, being season ticket holders) we'd invariably see your Mum & Dad in attendance too- a heartwarming sight - and would exchange a few words with them en route to our seats. 

We'd also be at most Reserves' matches at Welling, and they were there too. You may well recall those days...

However, as age & perhaps, health issues, made it less possible for them to travel away, and then to home games, their presence was sorely missed by those of us who know them. And I feel sure that they miss those days too.

THIS is the position we are beginning to lurch towards, especially with regard to away games further north than the Midlands...partly due to energy levels decreasing plus the cost of travel /overnight stays. 

Now, your dear parents may feel at odds with our thoughts, but if by paying £10 to stream a match we're unable to attend ( for various reasons) then we'll continue to do so. Our weekly "fix" of watching our beloved team is often the difference between feeling bereft & feeling as close as is possible to actually "being there" which I trust you will understand. 

Until the method that we, and I believe many others, are currently utilising becomes illegal, then we shall continue to enjoy our football EVERY week throughout the season. End of.

Maybe "respect your elders" is something you might consider & remember that one day, you too will be a wrinkly.....
    Well said Fanny. For many reasons there are alot of us that cant attend as many games as we would like and the stream is the only way we can watch and also contribute financially to the club we love. I personally have missed a game since it started. That more money the club have had than it would have had from me without it. I personally have said before I would have absolutely no objection to paying the same price for the stream as I would a ticket. I just dont get the argument about the stream cutting crowd numbers
    But would you buy the £29 stream and sit on the sofa or pay £23 and sit on a little hard chair at the back of the room?
  • Options
    No, I would pay the bullseye for IPTV
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    The £23 seats are awful
    But? In the UK?

...it's dishonest however you try and spin it I am afraid.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    The £23 seats are awful
    But? In the UK?

Why is it dishonest ? Is there a.law against it ?
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    The £23 seats are awful
    But? In the UK?

Depends what games you’re talking about, midweek games can be legally streamed in the UK.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I doubt it is troubling the club as they have to make a calculation as to how many of those buying the stream would attend the game if they couldn't.  I suspect people buying the streams has a net positive financial effect. You can be a fair way from the Valley but still be in the UK.

What is probably more of an issue is IPTV which is stealing from the club.