Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Results of match day attendance survey: TOO EXPENSIVE

124»

Comments

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    I refer the gentleman to the answer I gave a moment ago.
    Which is what, exactly?

"So what if I bend the rules. Everyone does it and I if I want to do something then why shouldn't I?"
    Ok answer me this: where’s the harm in it?

A big part of why I do it through catv is that the club receives some of it, it’s not an illegal stream.

so where’s the harm in it?
    That's not the point, is it. You're now asking a different question.

People on this thread were saying they were doing nothing "wrong" and then trying to justify themselves.

Despite what you or I may think as to whether it's right or not, people in the UK aren't supposed to be able to buy streams of 3pm games on a Saturday. If you do then that's your choice and I'm not condemning it, but all I'm saying is that you can't pretend you're doing nothing "wrong". 
    The club is quite happy people in the UK are paying to access the stream via VPN. The people unhappy would be the EFL, but frankly who cares about them?

I don’t personally think the model stacks up financially, but that’s another discussion.
    Absobloodyexactly
  • Options
    Now Ryan Reynolds has got involved I suspect we might say some more debate on this.

National league North and South clubs have zero TV coverage, not even highlights, can't stream and can't even release youtube/Web site highlights until 12.01 on Monday morning.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Now Ryan Reynolds has got involved I suspect we might say some more debate on this.

National league North and South clubs have zero TV coverage, not even highlights, can't stream and can't even release youtube/Web site highlights until 12.01 on Monday morning.
    Tom Cruise will be Steve Evans’ in the dramatisation!
  • Options
    Ricky Gervais will be Thomas obvs!
  • Options
    The biggest issue for the club now @Athletico Charlton is that perception is reality - the general belief is that the prices being charged by CAFC are too high for L1 football so maybe that does become an easy excuse for some. It also becomes increasingly difficult for the club to build any kind of momentum towards Fill The Valley with that barrier in place.

Incidentally I passed on my ST freebie for last Sat to a CL poster who asked on here!
    What’s this season ticket freebie thing @Weegie Addick , and how can I access it? 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    The biggest issue for the club now @Athletico Charlton is that perception is reality - the general belief is that the prices being charged by CAFC are too high for L1 football so maybe that does become an easy excuse for some. It also becomes increasingly difficult for the club to build any kind of momentum towards Fill The Valley with that barrier in place.

Incidentally I passed on my ST freebie for last Sat to a CL poster who asked on here!
    What’s this season ticket freebie thing @Weegie Addick , and how can I access it? 
    I got an email from the club a couple of days before the Cambridge home match with a freebie ticket for me to pass on. I tried hard to give it away to a few non ST friends but for various reasons they couldn’t attend at such short notice so I offered it to someone on here. 

I’m assuming it was one of the four free tickets in the ST holder package but have not seen 100% confirmation on that anywhere from the club. 

So all I can advise is to wait for the club email and hope. 
  • Options
    It may make sense for the club to lower prices very soon, and in the announcement include a soundbite about the reason being due to the cost of living crisis, and caring for supporters being able to afford tickets. That way they save face when reducing the high prices; and have an opportunity to come out of it with some decent national PR if they're the first club to lower prices citing this reasoning.

I haven't done any maths on it, it's just a casual thought.

Conversely with high inflation prices ought to go up to cover costs. But until wage inflation catches up - unlikely any time soon - people's disposal income, by any measure available, is about to take a hammering.
  • Options
    What's VPN?  :#
  • Options
    Visible Pair ( of) Nickers

( As some on here might refer to those of us who can't attend every match in person)

:smile:
  • Options
    What's VPN?  :#
    Like a VPL but different.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i do think the pricing is wrong but the single biggest reason that crowds are down on last year is because the football was so kin shit and even a lot of long standing fans have just about had enough of it - only us who are infected with the charlton virus so badly are still going
  • Options
    Looking at the Wycombe website, a nice gesture is allowing child STs to be used by adults for midweek "school night" games

New for this season, Wanderers recognise that midweek games aren’t always ideal for under-18s due to the late finish of the game, and will allow adults to watch the match using a child or junior season ticket for evening midweek league fixtures with no additional charge throughout 2022/23.
    To take full advantage of this opportunity, simply arrive at the turnstile on the day of the game, show your child or junior season ticket, and display the barcode as usual. Fans of any age will be able to access the stadium with the child or junior season ticket for any home midweek evening League game during the 2022/23 season. This offer does not apply to matches played on weekends or bank holidays, or to any premium packages.
    Now that’s the way to do it…very generous & easily workable & no extra cost for staff but more being put into the shop,kiosks,bars & would create more atmosphere & more potential season tickets or at least some returning supporters 
  • Options
    It may make sense for the club to lower prices very soon, and in the announcement include a soundbite about the reason being due to the cost of living crisis, and caring for supporters being able to afford tickets. That way they save face when reducing the high prices; and have an opportunity to come out of it with some decent national PR if they're the first club to lower prices citing this reasoning.

I haven't done any maths on it, it's just a casual thought.

Conversely with high inflation prices ought to go up to cover costs. But until wage inflation catches up - unlikely any time soon - people's disposal income, by any measure available, is about to take a hammering.
    Far too sensible, should happen, hope it will, probably won't.
  • Options
    Using the VPN is not really justifiable. We know it’s a back door exploitation of the service. 

The EFL should however amend the broadcast deal to allow it as simply time has moved on and amidst very real economic pressures it’s an income stream that could be explored more if clubs fail to realise they need to reduce match ticket prices. 
    Exploiting Charlton tv?
     I pay for the stream of a game I wouldn’t be going to anyway? So it’s £10 gained by the club. You could argue the club are exploiting it by accepting my money but they aren’t aware.
    Doesn’t need justifying.
    You have ignored my second point that the EFL needs to change its stance. 

It remains however an exploitation of the VPN back door and my point is those that choose to do that know full well what they are doing. In that respect it can’t really be justified. 

I agree it’s extra revenue however and am not ‘anti’ it. 

Illegal streams are a different issue altogether and those that use them really are financially hurting the game. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Which is what, exactly?

"So what if I bend the rules. Everyone does it and I if I want to do something then why shouldn't I?"

A big part of why I do it through catv is that the club receives some of it, it’s not an illegal stream.

People on this thread were saying they were doing nothing "wrong" and then trying to justify themselves.

Despite what you or I may think as to whether it's right or not, people in the UK aren't supposed to be able to buy streams of 3pm games on a Saturday. If you do then that's your choice and I'm not condemning it, but all I'm saying is that you can't pretend you're doing nothing "wrong". 
    The club is quite happy people in the UK are paying to access the stream via VPN. The people unhappy would be the EFL, but frankly who cares about them?

I don’t personally think the model stacks up financially, but that’s another discussion.
    Not sure the EFL would be that bothered. Obviously they sell the rights to TV companies, who sell advertising around their coverage. The clubs get a share of the money paid to the EFL.The broadcasters get their revenue from the ads.  Everybody’s happy. 
    So who loses if someone watches a stream of a 3pm Saturday match when they’re not supposed to?
    Well, there’s always been a concern that showing matches on TV at 3pm on Saturdays would reduce attendances. Hence, as part of their deal with the EFL, broadcasters agree not to show those matches live, and don’t allow them to be streamed in the UK.
    You can see that if they showed them on TV then attendances would be reduced, and that would mean a loss of income for the clubs, as access is through subscription or pay per view, where the money is paid to the broadcaster, not to the clubs. With streaming, the revenue goes directly to the clubs. (That’s something that clubs get increasingly excited about, as it’s a potential model for the future). 
    The clubs may lose some revenue from ticket sales, but they would presumably make up much of that, or more, by selling the £10 streams to fans, many of whom may not have gone to the game anyway. In fact season ticket holders are effectively paying twice when they purchase a stream if they're unable, or don’t want to, attend. (One downside of course is that for £10 a whole family that might have bought tickets can watch the match). 
    So EV en if they knew how many people were watching in the UK, the TV companies and the EFL wouldn’t really care, because it doesn’t affect them in any detrimental way, revenue-wise. 
    And clubs already know how their revenue is affected by VPN shielded streaming. I’m pretty sure if they thought they were losing out financially they’d make much more of an effort to stamp it out, or at least discourage it. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Which is what, exactly?

Depends what “wrong” is…
    vpn’s are completely legal apart from using them to commit criminal acts (terrorism etc) this is only against efl guidlines, and they’re such an abortion of an organisation they get no respect from me.
    Plus the club gets my money even though I can’t attend.
    Only thing “wrong” is pissing on the efl’s chips: should hand out a reward for that!
    Also against the CAFCTV T and Cs. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Which is what, exactly?

Depends what “wrong” is…
    vpn’s are completely legal apart from using them to commit criminal acts (terrorism etc) this is only against efl guidlines, and they’re such an abortion of an organisation they get no respect from me.
    Plus the club gets my money even though I can’t attend.
    Only thing “wrong” is pissing on the efl’s chips: should hand out a reward for that!
    Also against the CAFCTV T and Cs. 
    I’m sure the club would agree that’s a moot point.
  • Options
    Now that the survey reveals that the ticket prices are too expensive, how has the club reacted to this new revelation? 🧐

As for Charlton TV streaming, I use it all the time and now can’t be bothered to attend matches (although I might go to the odd match this year and of course Wembley!) 🥸
  • Options
    Quell surprise, people want to pay less for inferior product/service shocker.

Its a game changer I tell ya.