Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Results of match day attendance survey: TOO EXPENSIVE

Comments

• Options
    WSS said:
    Blockchain and NFT passes for streaming would solve this issue...
    I could go off you @WSS 🤣
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    The £23 seats are awful
    Apart from terrible view and lack of legroom, there's a good number of idiots down there whose proximity makes spending another £6 to go elsewhere money well spent. Except then it's £29 and when you can stream for a tenner it's not a hard choice. I will still go, but my overall spend on tickets and in-ground purchases will be less than in previous seasons.
    But? In the UK?
    I assume that you're changing your IP address.
    Why on earth wouldn't you ?
    Well, as @IdleHans says himself above, it's dishonest but I am not going to judge on that.

Another reason is that it's expensive for the picture quality imo.

Thirdly, we've been crap for ages and although I would still go to most, if not all, home matches if I still lived in the south east of England, spending my Saturday afternoons on the sofa often makes me generally grumpy.

Out of curiosity then @Fanny Fanackapan, you say 'why wouldn't you' which seems odd because you do go to the matches, don't you?
    Dishonest ? Really ? I don't regard myself as a dishonest person but if I'm unable to support, in person, the club I've supported for longer than you've been alive, then maybe, using the means available, I should be open to criticism....

I'd ask you to consider the situation your lovely parents found themselves in a few years ago, and one which your Addick brothers in the UK might also be in eventually.

In the days when we'd get to as many games away from home per season as possible ( as well as just about 100% of home games, being season ticket holders) we'd invariably see your Mum & Dad in attendance too- a heartwarming sight - and would exchange a few words with them en route to our seats. 

We'd also be at most Reserves' matches at Welling, and they were there too. You may well recall those days...

However, as age & perhaps, health issues, made it less possible for them to travel away, and then to home games, their presence was sorely missed by those of us who know them. And I feel sure that they miss those days too.

THIS is the position we are beginning to lurch towards, especially with regard to away games further north than the Midlands...partly due to energy levels decreasing plus the cost of travel /overnight stays. 

Now, your dear parents may feel at odds with our thoughts, but if by paying £10 to stream a match we're unable to attend ( for various reasons) then we'll continue to do so. Our weekly "fix" of watching our beloved team is often the difference between feeling bereft & feeling as close as is possible to actually "being there" which I trust you will understand. 

Until the method that we, and I believe many others, are currently utilising becomes illegal, then we shall continue to enjoy our football EVERY week throughout the season. End of.

Maybe "respect your elders" is something you might consider & remember that one day, you too will be a wrinkly.....
    I said nothing disrespectful. You seem to have taken my comments too personally. I was just surprised as I didn't know that you now can't get to matches.
    I'm sorry to hear about your ill health.

Thanks for the kind words about my parents. Actually I think that they accept the ways things are and don't miss it really. Sure, like anyone else of that age they must wish they were younger again but they are quite pragmatic about it.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    It's dishonest because you're lying about your location in order to access the service (assuming where talking about games where you're streaming weekend games via VPN rather than the standard midweek streams).  Is there a law against it? Well technically I suppose someone could make an argument that it's fraud by misrepresentation, but I doubt there's a police force in the country that'd bother. I'd say a bigger risk is a civil case by the EFL / Sky / ITV against the club for infringing the broadcast rights by streaming to fans in the UK when they shouldn't, but as the EFL get a cut I doubt they would, and even if they did they'd probably go after clubs with bigger fanbases first.
    Apparently 

VPNs are illegal (or their use is restricted) in:

• China (heavily restricted)
    • North Korea (illegal)
    • Iraq (illegal)
    • Belarus (illegal)
    • UAE (legal with restrictions)
    • Egypt (legal with restrictions)
    • Turkey (legal with restrictions)
    • Russia (legal with restrictions)
    https://cybernews.com/what-is-vpn/are-vpns-legal/

If this is the case then why is restriction even attempted?
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    The £23 seats are awful
    Apart from terrible view and lack of legroom, there's a good number of idiots down there whose proximity makes spending another £6 to go elsewhere money well spent. Except then it's £29 and when you can stream for a tenner it's not a hard choice. I will still go, but my overall spend on tickets and in-ground purchases will be less than in previous seasons.
    But? In the UK?
    I assume that you're changing your IP address.
    Why on earth wouldn't you ?
    Well, as @IdleHans says himself above, it's dishonest but I am not going to judge on that.

Another reason is that it's expensive for the picture quality imo.

Thirdly, we've been crap for ages and although I would still go to most, if not all, home matches if I still lived in the south east of England, spending my Saturday afternoons on the sofa often makes me generally grumpy.

Out of curiosity then @Fanny Fanackapan, you say 'why wouldn't you' which seems odd because you do go to the matches, don't you?
    Dishonest ? Really ? I don't regard myself as a dishonest person but if I'm unable to support, in person, the club I've supported for longer than you've been alive, then maybe, using the means available, I should be open to criticism....

I'd ask you to consider the situation your lovely parents found themselves in a few years ago, and one which your Addick brothers in the UK might also be in eventually.

In the days when we'd get to as many games away from home per season as possible ( as well as just about 100% of home games, being season ticket holders) we'd invariably see your Mum & Dad in attendance too- a heartwarming sight - and would exchange a few words with them en route to our seats. 

We'd also be at most Reserves' matches at Welling, and they were there too. You may well recall those days...

However, as age & perhaps, health issues, made it less possible for them to travel away, and then to home games, their presence was sorely missed by those of us who know them. And I feel sure that they miss those days too.

THIS is the position we are beginning to lurch towards, especially with regard to away games further north than the Midlands...partly due to energy levels decreasing plus the cost of travel /overnight stays. 

Now, your dear parents may feel at odds with our thoughts, but if by paying £10 to stream a match we're unable to attend ( for various reasons) then we'll continue to do so. Our weekly "fix" of watching our beloved team is often the difference between feeling bereft & feeling as close as is possible to actually "being there" which I trust you will understand. 

Until the method that we, and I believe many others, are currently utilising becomes illegal, then we shall continue to enjoy our football EVERY week throughout the season. End of.

Maybe "respect your elders" is something you might consider & remember that one day, you too will be a wrinkly.....
    I said nothing disrespectful. You seem to have taken my comments too personally. I was just surprised as I didn't know that you now can't get to matches.
    I'm sorry to hear about your ill health.

Thanks for the kind words about my parents. Actually I think that they accept the ways things are and don't miss it really. Sure, like anyone else of that age they must wish they were younger again but they are quite pragmatic about it.
    No you weren't disrespectful but needed to put you in the picture as far as some of the more elderly of fans are concerned. 

Age doesn't necessarily mean ill health & thankfully we're both doing OK. We CAN get to matches but choose not to as far as the furthest away ones are concerned partly due to the cost which I'm sure is a factor for fans of all ages & will increasingly be so in the light of the current economy. 

I can't honestly imagine a time when I won't want to watch our team play but who knows what's down the line....

Watching sport, either by attending or via tv/live streams, is our main "hobby" if you like whether it's football, cricket, athletics or anything else that takes our fancy and I don't believe this will change any time soon...so we enjoy it whilst we can, howsoever we can. 

Hope that makes sense...
  • Options
    I know some on here probably don't have this problem but any more that 20 quid for a ticket is too much for me. I used to get in as an under 18 well after my 18th birthday but time has caught up with me. I won't be seeing my club this season, it's a shame but it's due to my own bad decisions. Even so what with the the cost of "living" as it is I would say there is quite a few who also have problems. 

There are a few who can afford but imo we used to be or are a lower/working class club so no wonder there has been such small crowds. Nice one sandgarrd. 
  • Options
    I know some on here probably don't have this problem but any more that 20 quid for a ticket is too much for me. I used to get in as an under 18 well after my 18th birthday but time has caught up with me. I won't be seeing my club this season, it's a shame but it's due to my own bad decisions. Even so what with the the cost of "living" as it is I would say there is quite a few who also have problems. 

There are a few who can afford but imo we used to be or are a lower/working class club so no wonder there has been such small crowds. Nice one sandgarrd. 

Doubtful I would say unless you've got into debt through gambling, heavy drinking or drug-taking.

For the majority of fans struggling to pay, the bad decisions are the government's (and those who continue to vote blindly for them), and the decisions of the football family generally who have driven prices up. Then we have the current consequences of (imo) the mistake of drastic Covid restrictions. - sorry if I risk driving this thread political but sometimes it can't be helped.

Anyone who budgets sensibly should be able to afford to see a football match. It should be affordable to those on the minimum wage, the unemployed and to youngers with the small cash they earn doing small jobs. If that sounds daft to some Lifers then I think that you've been anesthetized by the society we live in.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Remember the up roar when Forest charged us £20 for a championship game?

That ticket would now cost almost £40 now.  
  • Options
    There’s nothing wrong with using a vpn to change your virtual location provided you use one of the legitimate providers, they have your details when you sign up, it’s a legitimate privacy method for many things.
    And a way to watch games when you can’t get there, you pay for the vpn service and you pay for the stream, certainly not cheating the club.
  • Options
    There’s nothing wrong with using a vpn to change your virtual location provided you use one of the legitimate providers, they have your details when you sign up, it’s a legitimate privacy method for many things.
    And a way to watch games when you can’t get there, you pay for the vpn service and you pay for the stream, certainly not cheating the club.
    Or when you can get there but are offered a cheaper alternative, or in the case of IPTV a free alternative

• Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Or when you can get there but are offered a cheaper alternative, or in the case of IPTV a free alternative

I suppose but personally I only watch the stream because I can’t go.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnnyH2 said:

Ditto, EA.

But there are numerous REAL reasons why Addicks cannot attend games in person. 

Shouldn't have to justify it.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:

Ditto, EA.

But there are numerous REAL reasons why Addicks cannot attend games in person. 

Shouldn't have to justify it.
    Certainly is, and doesn’t need to be justified to anyone, it’s clearly their problem.
  • Options
    Using the VPN is not really justifiable. We know it’s a back door exploitation of the service. 

The EFL should however amend the broadcast deal to allow it as simply time has moved on and amidst very real economic pressures it’s an income stream that could be explored more if clubs fail to realise they need to reduce match ticket prices. 
  • Options
    Using the VPN is not really justifiable. We know it’s a back door exploitation of the service. 

The EFL should however amend the broadcast deal to allow it as simply time has moved on and amidst very real economic pressures it’s an income stream that could be explored more if clubs fail to realise they need to reduce match ticket prices. 
    I didn't go to the game on Saturday, I listened to it on my £7 a month subscription.  If I could have legally streamed it night well have done and the club would have had an extra tenner.
  • Options

Exploiting Charlton tv?
     I pay for the stream of a game I wouldn’t be going to anyway? So it’s £10 gained by the club. You could argue the club are exploiting it by accepting my money but they aren’t aware.
    Doesn’t need justifying.
    Agreed

I don't agree with illegal streams where the club isn't getting any revenue IF there is a legitimate way of actually buying a stream (unlike with the EFL Cup for example), but in this case the club is getting an extra £10 (or however it's split). For example I can't go to Bolton on Saturday as I'm out in the evening, so the choice is paying £10 to watch the stream or not watching at all.
  • Options
    the cost of watching all CAFC home games on TV is£230 a season, or (presumably) £460 home and away .. is there a 'season ticket' for CAFC TV .. if not, that cost is far too high
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Some of the mental gymnastics going on in this thread are amazing.

Everyone knows the live stream is only supposed to be available to those overseas for 3pm staurday games. You may think that's right or wrong, but that's where we are currently.
    I don't get your point either. Everyone knows what's going on, do you seriously think the club would employ Minto, Curbs and Brownie JUST for overseas supporters? We're not Man U with hundreds of thousands of overseas fans.

Are you saying that it would be better if everyone in the UK stopped buying £10 passes to watch a game?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:

Everyone knows the live stream is only supposed to be available to those overseas for 3pm staurday games. You may think that's right or wrong, but that's where we are currently.
    I don't get your point either. Everyone knows what's going on, do you seriously think the club would employ Minto, Curbs and Brownie JUST for overseas supporters? We're not Man U with hundreds of thousands of overseas fans.

Are you saying that it would be better if everyone in the UK stopped buying £10 passes to watch a game?
    Yes, because Sandgaard's a bit mad. He thought we'd be challenging for The Premier League by now and have swathes of the population in Asia watching us.

Why then do they block people in the UK or is this not the club's choice?
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Yes, because Sandgaard's a bit mad. He thought we'd be challenging for The Premier League by now and have swathes of the population in Asia watching us.

Why then do they block people in the UK or is this not the club's choice?
    It’s EFL regulations, definitely not the club.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I refer the gentleman to the answer I gave a moment ago.
  • Options
    Which is what, exactly?

"So what if I bend the rules. Everyone does it and I if I want to do something then why shouldn't I?"
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Which is what, exactly?

"So what if I bend the rules. Everyone does it and I if I want to do something then why shouldn't I?"
    Ok answer me this: where’s the harm in it?

A big part of why I do it through catv is that the club receives some of it, it’s not an illegal stream.

so where’s the harm in it?
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Off_it said:
    Which is what, exactly?

A big part of why I do it through catv is that the club receives some of it, it’s not an illegal stream.

That's not the point, is it. You're now asking a different question.

People on this thread were saying they were doing nothing "wrong" and then trying to justify themselves.

Despite what you or I may think as to whether it's right or not, people in the UK aren't supposed to be able to buy streams of 3pm games on a Saturday. If you do then that's your choice and I'm not condemning it, but all I'm saying is that you can't pretend you're doing nothing "wrong". 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Which is what, exactly?

People on this thread were saying they were doing nothing "wrong" and then trying to justify themselves.

Despite what you or I may think as to whether it's right or not, people in the UK aren't supposed to be able to buy streams of 3pm games on a Saturday. If you do then that's your choice and I'm not condemning it, but all I'm saying is that you can't pretend you're doing nothing "wrong". 
    The club is quite happy people in the UK are paying to access the stream via VPN. The people unhappy would be the EFL, but frankly who cares about them?

I don’t personally think the model stacks up financially, but that’s another discussion.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Which is what, exactly?

Depends what “wrong” is…
    vpn’s are completely legal apart from using them to commit criminal acts (terrorism etc) this is only against efl guidlines, and they’re such an abortion of an organisation they get no respect from me.
    Plus the club gets my money even though I can’t attend.
    Only thing “wrong” is pissing on the efl’s chips: should hand out a reward for that!
  • Options
    The point I’m really trying to make is there’s quite a lot of misunderstanding of vpns, they’re primarily a privacy tool.