Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Gillingham Match Thread (+post match p12) | Papa Johns | Wed 31 Aug 2022 7pm

Comments

• Options
    Stig said:
    Mostly good, but we did have a few sloppy moments. Not getting carried away though, because Gills were appalling.
    Not carried away about our kids' performance?
  • Options
    What was impressive was the switch and flexibility with the systems and how comfortable the young players were .. the future is really positive and BG and his team deserve so much credit and so does TS for getting the right nan when a lot of fans were to quick to say “ cheap option “ Ben who “

the 4222 looked very good with Payne and DJ impossible to mark or pick up 
  • Options
    Did anyone else see the peregrine falcon (I think?) fly over just as it was getting dark? 
  • Options
    rananegra said:
    Did anyone else see the peregrine falcon (I think?) fly over just as it was getting dark? 

Like this one 😲
  • Options
    I was impressed just how many of the first team squad showed up to show their support, real unity and should be applauded. I would like to introduce one or two of them to Gok Wan for a make over, I am a judgemental old fcuker when it comes to fashion, but that’s an unnecessary aside. Main point being 👏👏👏👏 to all those that could have been enjoying a night off 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Enjoyed that. Some really good young players coming through. My wife posed the question after the game, “Is Ben Garner the club’s best signing of the summer?”.
    Yes, yes he is. Not that there aren't still deficiencies/issues on and off the pitch and depending on what happens today my expectations are of close but no promotion this season, but when you look at how the team functions like an actual team (even in a loss) and the way even the youth/reserves seem to be finding a footing and playing a consistent style I don't think it's hyperbole to say that current evidence says he's the best coach we've had since SCP.
  • Options
    I hadn't realised that Scott Marshall played 25 games for Arsenal in the 90s. I don't recall him at all as a player but he seems to have got a lot of coaching/managerial experience. 
  • Options
    The Pepperoni Trophy is much more enjoyable when it's basically our U23's playing
  • Options
    What was impressive was the switch and flexibility with the systems and how comfortable the young players were .. the future is really positive and BG and his team deserve so much credit and so does TS for getting the right nan when a lot of fans were to quick to say “ cheap option “ Ben who “

What like a Mary Poppins type to look after the youngsters?
  • Options
    I know that for some calling an appearance in this kind of game as playing for the Charlton Athletic first team is inappropriate.
    That may be a technical debate, but as last week at Walsall, and last night at home we can see that these matches provide a pretty good bridge or pathway for players to progress and be taken seriously.
    I believe the football staff have managed everything very well.
  • Options
    The quadruple is still on track.

• Options
    I can see him walk, but not talk!
  • Options
    I liked this competition last year and enjoyed last night. It give's us a chance to see the youngsters coming through and also allow Garner to try out players in differing roles.

Allowing Payne and DJ to roam made it near impossible for the Gills to pick up their runs.

Shocked when I heard that it was Henry's 19th birthday...thought he was two or three years older.

Very encouraging number of good centre halves progressing through the ranks.
  • Options

Was it a choice of these two?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Two more assists for Payne last night is good as well, I haven't been impressed with his cameos when I've seen him come on but maybe he'd be better as a starter. Wonder how long until he gets his chance as a starter in a League game
  • Options
    Two more assists for Payne last night is good as well, I haven't been impressed with his cameos when I've seen him come on but maybe he'd be better as a starter. Wonder how long until he gets his chance as a starter in a League game
    Instead of Albie?
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Instead of Kirk, or if JRS needs resting 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Really selfish of JFC taking a free kick from a position better suited for a right footer, let alone Henry!
  • Options
    Senior man syndrome.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Really selfish of JFC taking a free kick from a position better suited to a right footer, let alone Henry!
    I noticed that too. I think it’s good, you’ve got to earn your stripes - especially when that was likely JFC’s last game 
  • Options
    He definitely did that 35 seconds later. Can show who plays for the team or themselves. 
  • Options
    Where has Harris O’Connor been hiding?
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    Where has Harris O’Connor been hiding?
    Rangers, only came back in the last year or two. Was in our academy before spending a few years in Scotland.