Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sport in the aftermath - What should happen? (EFL fixtures resume Tues 13th Sept - p20)

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Funerals cancelled. the funerals of ordinary citizens. Just listened to a woman on a radio phone-in describing how she was called yesterday by the crematorium where her mother was to be buried today. They said "we suppose you know why we are calling". She had no idea. When they told her, they were, she said "very matter-of -fact" in tone, and claimed that all crematoria are taking the same action. She had relatives flying in from the US, hotels booked etc.

Two questions

1. While we cannot presume to know our late Queen's mind, is there a single person on here who wants to suggest she would have been happy with this?

2. Who, exactly, needs to "get a grip" about random cancellations?
    Our friends buried their mother today at Falconwood.

Edit - ignore me I got the wrong end of the stick.
  • Options
    Chelsea v Liverpool & Man United v Leeds are both now off at the weekend as well as Crystal Palace v Brighton
  • Options
    Chelsea v Liverpool & Man United v Leeds are both now off at the weekend as well as Crystal Palace v Brighton
    Palace vs Brighton on Saturday was called off due to the rail strikes that won't now happen, so theoretically could have been reinstalled, though I imagine Brighton will be very happy to not play it without their new manager in place yet
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Funerals cancelled. the funerals of ordinary citizens. Just listened to a woman on a radio phone-in describing how she was called yesterday by the crematorium where her mother was to be buried today. They said "we suppose you know why we are calling". She had no idea. When they told her, they were, she said "very matter-of -fact" in tone, and claimed that all crematoria are taking the same action. She had relatives flying in from the US, hotels booked etc.

Two questions

1. While we cannot presume to know our late Queen's mind, is there a single person on here who wants to suggest she would have been happy with this?

No, sounds interesting. Falconwood was operating normally today? If so I’ll pass that on to the radio prog. The poor woman was led to believe it was a nationwide decision. She was intelligent and lucid. No chance that she misheard what her crematorium told her.

EDIT: I think I misheard. This poor lady's funeral is on the same day as the now announced Royal funeral. It remains an absolutely shameful decision. When I think of the logistics that went into my own late Mum's relatively simple funeral at Falconwood (led brilliantly by a Lifer btw), I think I would never forgive the people who made this decision.
  • Options

On Twitter today.
    I walked past 3 Lancashire police vans in Westminster today 
  • Options

Spurs manager Conte also said he had been to Buckingham Palace to pay his respects. "On Friday I went to Buckingham Palace because I think for sure we will remember this for the rest of our lives."

"I want to give condolences from me, from the club, from the players to the Royal Family. Then football has to go ahead and we will do it, but I think the Premier League made an important decision to stop football and show respect for the death of the Queen."

• Options

Two questions

No, sounds interesting. Falconwood was operating normally today? If so I’ll pass that on to the radio prog. The poor woman was led to believe it was a nationwide decision. She was intelligent and lucid. No chance that she misheard what her crematorium told her.

EDIT: I think I misheard. This poor lady's funeral is on the same day as the now announced Royal funeral. It remains an absolutely shameful decision. When I think of the logistics that went into my own late Mum's relatively simple funeral at Falconwood (led brilliantly by a Lifer btw), I think I would never forgive the people who made this decision.
    Do funerals normally take place on bank holidays? I understand the practical and personal issue the postponement causes but it also means other people don’t have to work.
    Well that’s a take I didnt expect, not from you anyway.

I daresay funerals dont take place on “bank” holidays, but they are in the calendar for all to see. Unlike this one. Then of course, people do have to work on those holidays. NHS, fire service, etc, not to mention all those poor souls who have to man the tills at retail outlets that stay open on Bank holidays.

But if you really want to stick to that line you might at least agree that the State should endeavour to make an out-of -pocket payment to all those affected. Or perhaps even better that the King sends condolences to all those affected. I will bet a lot of money that no one in the relevant positions has given that second thought.
  • Options
    sllences across most games tonight - i hope the media do not pick up on any nonsense 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It is even a greater pity that some patients who have been scheduled for operations/tests/investigations on Monday will now have further delays due to the bank holiday - thanks King
  • Options

Two questions

Do funerals normally take place on bank holidays? I understand the practical and personal issue the postponement causes but it also means other people don’t have to work.

I daresay funerals dont take place on “bank” holidays, but they are in the calendar for all to see. Unlike this one. Then of course, people do have to work on those holidays. NHS, fire service, etc, not to mention all those poor souls who have to man the tills at retail outlets that stay open on Bank holidays.

But if you really want to stick to that line you might at least agree that the State should endeavour to make an out-of -pocket payment to all those affected. Or perhaps even better that the King sends condolences to all those affected. I will bet a lot of money that no one in the relevant positions has given that second thought.
    It is even a greater pity that some patients who have been scheduled for operations/tests/investigations on Monday will now have further delays due to the bank holiday - thanks King
    Should we not start a different thread?
    No relevance to sport.

• Options
    edited September 2022

Two questions

You don’t think it’s a consideration if people are being asked to work a bank holiday? Supposing they are particularly anxious to watch the Queen’s funeral, which I imagine some people will be. I just think there are two sides to it, but you’re only looking at one. Why make it a bank holiday at all if people have to work?

The others you mention all work bank holidays and will understand that is part of their job.

• Options
    Also bank holiday means schools are closed so staff with kids are going to need to sort out childcare if you expect them to work.
  • Options
    edited September 2022

Two questions

EDIT: Seeing Prague's edit does change things. The poor lady's funeral is now a Bank Holiday. But you would still expect them to honour the arrangement. As you say, the logistics of funeral arrangement are difficult enough.
  • Options
    Wow. You're all class.
  • Options

Two questions

You don’t think it’s a consideration if people are being asked to work a bank holiday? Supposing they are particularly anxious to watch the Queen’s funeral, which I imagine some people will be. I just think there are two sides to it, but you’re only looking at one. Why make it a bank holiday at all if people have to work?

The others you mention all work bank holidays and will understand that is part of their job.

Completely agree. 

@PragueAddick; you're wrong here, as Airman has explained. So just leave it there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bit rich there nation got football stopped for a good few years. 
    Completely fair banner though 
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Two questions

Completely agree. 

@PragueAddick; you're wrong here, as Airman has explained. So just leave it there.
    I'm quite happy to leave it there. Fortunately I  don't have to witness the mass hysteria up close and personal, See y'all on Tuesday
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Two questions

Completely agree. 

I'm quite happy to leave it there. Fortunately I  don't have to witness the mass hysteria up close and personal, See y'all on Tuesday
    I haven't seen any "mass hysteria" at all. Or any hysteria of any kind. Far from it.

Even some of the news crews desperately trying to create an "angle" and shoving microphones into peoples faces in the queue or as they leave Westminster Hall seem to have been met with solemn and dignified responses in the main, from what I've seen.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

Two questions

Completely agree. 

I haven't seen any "mass hysteria" at all. Or any hysteria of any kind. Far from it.

Even some of the news crews desperately trying to create an "angle" and shoving microphones into peoples faces in the queue or as they leave Westminster Hall seem to have been met with solemn and dignified responses in the main, from what I've seen.
    Lucky you. 

I don't make a habit of watching BBC TV news any more. I just happened to land on it last night after finishing something pre-recorded.

They showed the moment when the cavalcade including the hearse arrived at Buckingham Palace. As it did a twirl around, and at relatively high speed,  people cheered and *whooped* as if it was an F1 car on a victory lap. That was the moment I said to myself I'm done with this. Definitely not my idea of dignified. 

And that really is my last word on this. I won't undignify this thread by introducing the issue of the protest arrests. That can wait until Tuesday as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    I prefer the clapping to silence. Especially for a 96 year old where I believe it should be more about a celebration of a great life.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

Two questions

Completely agree. 

Lucky you. 

I don't make a habit of watching BBC TV news any more. I just happened to land on it last night after finishing something pre-recorded.

They showed the moment when the cavalcade including the hearse arrived at Buckingham Palace. As it did a twirl around, and at relatively high speed,  people cheered and *whooped* as if it was an F1 car on a victory lap. That was the moment I said to myself I'm done with this. Definitely not my idea of dignified. 

And that really is my last word on this. I won't undignify this thread by introducing the issue of the protest arrests. That can wait until Tuesday as far as I'm concerned.
    Oh thats really good of you....
  • Options
    I prefer the clapping to silence. Especially for a 96 year old where I believe it should be more about a celebration of a great life.
    There is a time for clapping, but yesterday wasn't that time, it seemed to me to be inappropriate for such a solemn occasion.
  • Options
    It's all been amazing.
    The country has never seen anything like this before.