Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sport in the aftermath - What should happen? (EFL fixtures resume Tues 13th Sept - p20)

Comments

• Options
    clb74 said:
    This thread has surprised me.
    I really thought more people would of wanted to the game of football to standstill for 1  game.
    Principles and standards mate, some have em some dont. The amount of football lost through covid, yet few complained, but asking fans to sit out 1 match in respect of the monarch, you would think some of them were being asked to donate their kidney.
    Twice in two days you've decided to stick in a snide 'decency' comment. Neither the time or the place to go signalling other people's 'decency'. Knock it off.
    Yes mum.
  • Options
    Kids playing organised football on Peckham Rye this morning. Strangely, I didn’t see anyone being outraged by this blatant “lack of respect”.
  • Options
    Kids playing organised football on Peckham Rye this morning. Strangely, I didn’t see anyone being outraged by this blatant “lack of respect”.

Stopping children playing was/is wrong.

How big was the crowd on the Rye btw?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Stopping children playing was/is wrong.

How big was the crowd on the Rye btw?
    Possibly one man and his dog, or maybe just the dog. 
  • Options
    I imagine it could have been unpleasant at Celtic but I wouldn't have thought any other fans would have been disrespectful. I think the tributes and the sense of honour and unity would have actually been amazing to see at football grounds.
  • Options
    I imagine it could have been unpleasant at Celtic but I wouldn't have thought any other fans would have been disrespectful. I think the tributes and the sense of honour and unity would have actually been amazing to see at football grounds.
    And whenever the first game back is the Celtic fans may do that anyway, or the Liverpool ones msybe. Its just being postponed ( like our games). Big virtue signalling move only by FA/EFL
  • Options
    Completely wrong descision imo. Played golf this morning , watching the cricket and the F1 , but I can’t watch football at the valley and pay my respects alongside my fellow fans. 

Cricket has got it 100% right here, and the EFL and FA are so wrong. The Government didn’t tell anyone to cancel fixtures, 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Actually surprised many want games to go ahead this weekend, I'd have thought any supporter of the Royals would have wanted games to be postponed this weekend at a minimum.
    People grieve in their own way.  Some would want to be indoors, others might want to carry on.  

At least if the sport is on you have a choice whatever your thoughts are.  
    But what about people who have to work at events that aren't postponed, they won't exactly have a choice. It all smacks a bit of I want to show I care but don't inconvenience me.
    Well it’s unfortunate if you don’t have a choice but what can we do about that.  You can show you care in a number of ways, cancelling football doesn’t have to be one of them.  And by the way I’m not gonna be angry if it is cancelled I just can’t see why it should be.  
    Just to be a pedant, it's not cancelled it's postponed. I'm no royalist by any means so personally I don't care either way. I just can't understand those that are and would be going and having fun in what is an official period of mourning. Seems hypocritical to me.
    Why does mourning not have to be about going and having 'fun'. It should be a chance to celebrate someone's life, especially someone who has lived so long and had such an impact on the nation. 

Because the word mourning literally means expressing sorrow. Fun and sorrow do not go together. Some great mental gymnastics in this thread.
    Ok, but do you expect children to mourn and express sorrow. Why should children be having their matches cancelled?

I can only assume that The Queen's great grandchildren will be prevented from playing games for two weeks. They won't be outdoors kicking a ball about, surely? 
    No one has been banned from kicking a ball about, don’t be a wally.

Football has hit this spot on. The other sports have messed it up. 
    Er, yes they have.
    No, they haven’t, they can still go the park, garden or road.

I do agree that cancelling kids games is ridiculous and OTT, but was replying to JMs’ “they won’t be outdoors kicking a ball about” which obviously anyone can still do. 
  • Options

Ah, Peter Varney. 

A normal individual 

• Options

Stay classy Sheffield international 
  • Options

Ah, Sheffield International FC.

A normal football club 
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Stay classy Sheffield international 
    Arranging a friendly is classless, wow.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    Statement from Millwall about their next 2 home games 

As it stands, there is currently no obligation for a similar postponement of fixtures next week, during which Millwall are set to play at The Den on Wednesday 14th and Saturday 17th.

The club has every intention and desire to fulfill these fixtures as scheduled and believes that its supporters would like the opportunity to pay an emotional and memorable tribute to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth ll.

There are, however, considerable demands on police resources at this unprecedented time - particularly in London - and such pressures are extending into the stewarding industry. The club is conscious of the impact of these factors but is working tirelessly to overcome such hurdles in order to meet the necessary safety regulations required to host the two matches as planned.
    Whilst I really wish I was back in Blighty at the moment I am eternally grateful to be a goat farmer at the moment.
    As trying to organise policing a football match, whilst most of those who you use week in week out to do so are being used to police THE most important moment in our recent history, would be an absolute nightmare.

There are bigger things at play here.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    This thread has surprised me.
    I really thought more people would of wanted to the game of football to standstill for 1  game.

When football fans are called on to show respect for something they usually do it extremely well. I'm sure they would have done today.
    Like the Derby fan, first game of the season who ran on during the minutes applause, pulled out the corner flag and ran towards the players?
  • Options
    Watching the amazing scenes of thousands of people in London wanting to pay their respects to the Queen. It must require a lot of Police to control the crowds, so it is understandable that they might not have the resources to attend football matches as well. 
  • Options
    Watching the amazing scenes of thousands of people in London wanting to pay their respects to the Queen. It must require a lot of Police to control the crowds, so it is understandable that they might not have the resources to attend football matches as well. 
    Wasn’t just people paying respects.
    There was a protest too (no way they were going to not allow that given the nature of it) and I can see them protesting all the way through.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    aliwibble said:
    I’ve seen arguments for it being called off due to worries about crowd reactions, the mail ran a story but to be fair they’re probably just stirring as usual to get us all foaming at the mouth at Celtic and Liverpool.  But let’s assume they’re correct for a second.  

Since when did we give in to a minority of idiots?  I’m no monarchist that’s for sure, but that’s what anyone booing would be, an idiot.  
    Since we stopped routinely having minute's silences and having minute's applauses instead. While I'm sure the vast majority of fans would observe it impeccably, it only takes a handful of pissed-up dickheads rocking up late and making a row, and nearby fans reacting angrily to that to disrupt the whole thing. And that's before we get to more organised disruption - I'd hope that anti-monarchist/anti-nationalist elements in certain fanbases would have the decency to not try to use it to make a political point, but I wouldn't bet my reputation on it, and I assume that the football authorities have made the same calculation. Given the decision had to be made less than 24 hours after there was any inkling that the Queen was ill, let alone that she had died, in order to allow clubs and fans to change their travel plans, I'm not going to give them a kicking for possibly getting it wrong. The postponements also allow more time to make a considered decision about what kind of tribute is appropriate at matches, and make everyone aware of it before the game.
    Exactly. There is no way anyone can guarantee that there wouldn't have been an unsavoury incident somewhere.
    The Valley is one of the best as are Charlton fans.

Yet first game of the season a Derby fan ran on the pitch during the minute's applause, removed the corner flag and then ran on again like a crazed loon.

Imagine if that was broadcast around the world showing what scum we have in this country?

Charlton fans abusing the people of Wycombe all day long a couple of weeks ago, punching a hole in the roof of a bus and throwing the plastic bits at people on the bus, trying to provoke rows with Wycombe supporters who were probably about 80 years old.

There is no way you can rely on every football fan to show respect and to postpone the games was undoubtedly correct.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    I’ve seen arguments for it being called off due to worries about crowd reactions, the mail ran a story but to be fair they’re probably just stirring as usual to get us all foaming at the mouth at Celtic and Liverpool.  But let’s assume they’re correct for a second.  

Since when did we give in to a minority of idiots?  I’m no monarchist that’s for sure, but that’s what anyone booing would be, an idiot.  
    Since we stopped routinely having minute's silences and having minute's applauses instead. While I'm sure the vast majority of fans would observe it impeccably, it only takes a handful of pissed-up dickheads rocking up late and making a row, and nearby fans reacting angrily to that to disrupt the whole thing. And that's before we get to more organised disruption - I'd hope that anti-monarchist/anti-nationalist elements in certain fanbases would have the decency to not try to use it to make a political point, but I wouldn't bet my reputation on it, and I assume that the football authorities have made the same calculation. Given the decision had to be made less than 24 hours after there was any inkling that the Queen was ill, let alone that she had died, in order to allow clubs and fans to change their travel plans, I'm not going to give them a kicking for possibly getting it wrong. The postponements also allow more time to make a considered decision about what kind of tribute is appropriate at matches, and make everyone aware of it before the game.
    Exactly. There is no way anyone can guarantee that there wouldn't have been an unsavoury incident somewhere.

Yet first game of the season a Derby fan ran on the pitch during the minute's applause, removed the corner flag and then ran on again like a crazed loony.

Imagine if that was broadcast around the world showing what scum we have in this country?

Charlton fans abusing the people of Wycombe all day long acouple of weeks ago, punching a hole in the roof of a bus and throwing the plastic bits at people on the bus, trying to provoke rows with Wycombe supporters who were probably about 80 years old.

There is no way you can rely on every football fan to show respect and to postpone the games were undoubtedly correct.
    I think both this and Aliwibble’s post make some sense, however I can’t agree with postponing stuff and letting idiots win.  
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

Yet first game of the season a Derby fan ran on the pitch during the minute's applause, removed the corner flag and then ran on again like a crazed loony.

Charlton fans abusing the people of Wycombe all day long acouple of weeks ago, punching a hole in the roof of a bus and throwing the plastic bits at people on the bus, trying to provoke rows with Wycombe supporters who were probably about 80 years old.

There is no way you can rely on every football fan to show respect and to postpone the games were undoubtedly correct.
    I think both this and Aliwibble’s post make some sense, however I can’t agree with postponing stuff and letting idiots win.  
    The alternative was risking the idiots/scum being a huge embarrassment to this country, broadcast around the world and quite possibly never forgotten, depending upon the severity.
    Personally, I'm pleased we took the guaranteed safe option and not risk the country's reputation relying on good behaviour from people that never show good behaviour and wouldn't even understand the meaning of respect.
  • Options
    Given the restricted policing issue, what are the chances of us playing on Tues and next Saturday?
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

The alternative was risking the idiots/scum being a huge embarrassment to this country, broadcast around the world and quite possibly never forgotten, depending upon the severity.
    Personally, I'm pleased we took the guaranteed safe option and not risk the country's reputation relying on good behaviour from people that never show good behaviour and wouldn't even understand the meaning of respect.
    You’re emphasising the negative too much IMO.  We could’ve shown the world how to do a send off for someone who majority means a lot to the nation.  Yes we can do it in a few weeks but the negative will also be there in a few weeks.  

Look at the teams at home this weekend (Arsenal, West Ham, Leicester, Southampton, Man City, Birmingham, Sheff Utd, Charlton, Ipswich) the respect shown and the GSTQ renditions would’ve been huge.  
  • Options
    Given the restricted policing issue, what are the chances of us playing on Tues and next Saturday?
    All depends on what the safety certificate at Charlton and Fleetwood says re the minimum of Police and Stewarding required