Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sport in the aftermath - What should happen? (EFL fixtures resume Tues 13th Sept - p20)

Comments

• Options
    Really can’t see the point of cancelling kids’ games. Far more beneficial to have a minute’s silence before kick-off, with parents/coaches having explained beforehand exactly why they are being asked to show respect. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Apperently games will commence on Tuesday according to some clubs like Reading and Gillingham. But clubs that will struggle with police and match day security resources are advised to contact the EFL. 

My guess is that it is likely to affect London clubs?

Will that affect us being in London? Or the is match generally low key enough that a big security presence isn't required (since it's FGR and not a London Derby or something)

Probably comes down to the that weather the game is on or off. 
  • Options
    Apperently games will commence on Tuesday according to some clubs like Reading and Gillingham. But clubs that will struggle with police and match day security resources are advised to contact the EFL. 

Will that affect us being in London? Or the is match generally low key enough that a big security presence isn't required (since it's FGR and not a London Derby or something)

You would think that a midweek game between Charlton and Forest Green wouldn’t require much police presence, but I’m often astonished at the number of police that get deployed to our games so who knows.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    This thread has surprised me.
    I really thought more people would of wanted to the game of football to standstill for 1  game.
    Principles and standards mate, some have em some dont. The amount of football lost through covid, yet few complained, but asking fans to sit out 1 match in respect of the monarch, you would think some of them were being asked to donate their kidney.
    Didn’t you mention you had to go into work on another post?  Some have principles and standards mate, some don’t.. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:

You would think that a midweek game between Charlton and Forest Green wouldn’t require much police presence, but I’m often astonished at the number of police that get deployed to our games so who knows.
    Indeed especially when you see a line of coppers on horseback lining up floyd road.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    clb74 said:
    I really thought more people would of wanted to the game of football to standstill for 1  game.
    Principles and standards mate, some have em some dont. The amount of football lost through covid, yet few complained, but asking fans to sit out 1 match in respect of the monarch, you would think some of them were being asked to donate their kidney.
    Didn’t you mention you had to go into work on another post?  Some have principles and standards mate, some don’t.. 
    Dont usually reply to you but will come out of retirement this once just for you. Yes it would be difficult for me to go and get back today as there is engineering works between Basingstoke and Woking which would have meant i would have to have left at HT to see the match, but i would have probably done it, if the game was on I would be on my way now instead of wasting my time on you. Some of us do 200 mile round trips to see our club dont just live round the corner.

I have 3 days off next week which includes the FGR game but am happy to support any EFL decision if they decide to postpone the game. I lose a lot of money and costs me a fair packet to follow Charlton so postpoing games on my day off usually means using up a days leave when it is played.

It is something that occurs often as i am on a 5 week shift cycle and about 3 times of year i go about 36 hours without sleep to support Charlton.

So thanks decent principles and standards. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Dont usually reply to you but will come out of retirement this once just for you. Yes it would be difficult for me to go and get back today as there is engineering works between Basingstoke and Woking which would have meant i would have to have left at HT to see the match, but i would have probably done it, if the game was on I would be on my way now instead of wasting my time on you. Some of us do 200 mile round trips to see our club dont just live round the corner.

I have 3 days off next week which includes the FGR game but am happy to support any EFL decision if they decide to postpone the game. I lose a lot of money and costs me a fair packet to follow Charlton so postpoing games on my day off usually means ussing up a days leave when it is played.

It is something that occurs often as i am on a 5 week shift cycle and about 3 times of year i go about 36 hours without sleep to support Charlton.

So thanks decent principles and standards. 
    It’s absolutely fine you go to work pal, as will I.  

The only issue is you being the “principles and standards” police.  Turn it in, this thread has been good natured until then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mid Antrim 150 in Northern Ireland - a grass roots motorcycle road race - cancelled today due to threats because they were going ahead, and nails and diesel spread on the track :|

• Options
    I will be rather bored without the football today.
    That is personal to me and I will cope by anticipating the U21game on Monday home to Colchester at 2pm, and the FGR game on Tuesday Evening.

• Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Actually surprised many want games to go ahead this weekend, I'd have thought any supporter of the Royals would have wanted games to be postponed this weekend at a minimum.
    People grieve in their own way.  Some would want to be indoors, others might want to carry on.  

At least if the sport is on you have a choice whatever your thoughts are.  
    But what about people who have to work at events that aren't postponed, they won't exactly have a choice. It all smacks a bit of I want to show I care but don't inconvenience me.
    Well it’s unfortunate if you don’t have a choice but what can we do about that.  You can show you care in a number of ways, cancelling football doesn’t have to be one of them.  And by the way I’m not gonna be angry if it is cancelled I just can’t see why it should be.  
    Just to be a pedant, it's not cancelled it's postponed. I'm no royalist by any means so personally I don't care either way. I just can't understand those that are and would be going and having fun in what is an official period of mourning. Seems hypocritical to me.
    Why does mourning not have to be about going and having 'fun'. It should be a chance to celebrate someone's life, especially someone who has lived so long and had such an impact on the nation. 

Because the word mourning literally means expressing sorrow. Fun and sorrow do not go together. Some great mental gymnastics in this thread.
    Ok, but do you expect children to mourn and express sorrow. Why should children be having their matches cancelled?

I can only assume that The Queen's great grandchildren will be prevented from playing games for two weeks. They won't be outdoors kicking a ball about, surely? 
    No one has been banned from kicking a ball about, don’t be a wally.

Football has hit this spot on. The other sports have messed it up. 
    Er, yes they have.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I will be rather bored without the football today.
    That is personal to me and I will cope by anticipating the U21game on Monday home to Colchester at 2pm, and the FGR game on Tuesday Evening.

The proclamation and accession of the new King is being televised, this is history in the making and the first time it will have been seen by the nation.
  • Options
    I hope some enterprising tabloid journalist tracks down the heads of the FA and FAPL, and puffed up FAPL club CEO’s like Christian Purslow at Villa (salary £1.25m p.a for a part-time job) this afternoon at 15.00 to enquire if they are sitting in their “living rooms” with a cup of tea quietly contemplating the loss of the Queen, as they apparently expect everyone else to do like it is 1952. Trouble is in Purslow’s case they’d probably have to pop over to Monaco or somewhere like that. 
  • Options
    I hope some enterprising tabloid journalist tracks down the heads of the FA and FAPL, and puffed up FAPL club CEO’s like Christian Purslow at Villa (salary £1.25m p.a for a part-time job) this afternoon at 15.00 to enquire if they are sitting in their “living rooms” with a cup of tea quietly contemplating the loss of the Queen, as they apparently expect everyone else to do like it is 1952. Trouble is in Purslow’s case they’d probably have to pop over to Monaco or somewhere like that. 
    Football carried on in 1952
  • Options
    Had this been this time last year under Adkins, we’d have been unanimous, call it off! 
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Football carried on in 1952
    Well that makes it even more ridiculous then, but what I rather referred to was that in those days people had a much narrower range of activities in the first place, and might genuinely have felt some communal comfort sitting quietly at home perhaps inviting their neighbours round for a cuppa. 

Question for those who support the cancellation. What exactly will you do instead? And how will whatever you do show greater respect for the Queen’s passing than going to the Valley and respecting in silence for a minute with 15k of your fellow Addicks?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2022
    I think it would have been a good opportunity to show our respects collectively as a significant group of people and football fans all over the country to do the same. The game may help some take their mind off things for a couple of hours. When my dad died I tried to take my mind off things for a few hours. What is wrong with that? Why should we have thought police telling us how to grieve? I am deeply sad we have lost our beloved Queen and I will remain sad about it for a while but I will watch any football that is on over the next couple of weeks and don't feel that is disrespectful in any way.
  • Options
    watching the cricket now, football have made the wrong call.

what a fitting tribute to see these scenes replicated at every football stadium today
    This!
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    There was a full fixtures list in 1952, three days after the death George VI. Minutes silence. Abide With Me. Perfectly fitting tribute. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Football working class sport cancelled, all the other sports, cricket, rugby, horse racing middle class, carry on.

There is no horse racing today and there wasn't any yesterday either. In fact, a friend of mine had a horse running in the 7.05 at Chelmsford on Thursday but quite rightly the meeting was abandoned, after just four races, upon the news of the Queen's passing and prior to his horse's race. There were certainly no moans from that owner and there were no complaints from the spectators either. Football went ahead that night and to be fair to West Ham fans they acted with dignity. 

So, horse racing, the sport closest to the Queen's heart, won't have taken place for more than two days which is why I do not believe that class has anything to do with the decision making.  I just think that the EFL and PL have just totally misread the situation. The directive to have no football isn't right for several reasons as much because there are people who are on zero hours contracts that aren't going to have been paid. Those that wish to stay at home, go to the pub or to Buckingham Palace to express their admiration are still free to do so. Lovers of football and even more bizarrely kids are told they cannot. What better way to teach them the importance of the Queen to us than to have a minutes silence before training and/or a match?