Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sport in the aftermath - What should happen? (EFL fixtures resume Tues 13th Sept - p20)

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2022
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    There are an awful lot of people on this thread seemingly knowing what The Queen would and would not have wanted.
    Fair point Bob, I’m guilty of that. Just think although done with completely the right intentions, but it’s the wrong call for a number of reasons.  And it gets really silly when kids football matches get cancelled so they just have a training session at exactly the same time and place instead. 
    I believe the FA/EFL have made the right call - but I would not agree with stopping children's football. As I said in an earlier post, that's my opinion and I respect those that would not agree with me - but either way it is for the relevant authorities to decide what they feel is appropriate rather than what The Queen may have wanted (which would have likely been no fuss, no inconvenience as that was her style). A woman of the stature of Her Majesty can't get away with no fuss!!
    Sorry, but I think there can still be plenty of fuss, and the EFL have made the wrong call.

Matches continued to be played after the death of King George VI in ‘52, and I believe the minutes silence and the singing of Abide With Me would have provided solace for many, and a moment of togetherness that wouldn’t have been available to millions otherwise. The same tribute a week or two later would have been less emotional, I suspect. 
    Perhaps surprisingly, there was a full fixtures list on the day of Winston Churchill’s funeral. 
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    When a Queen of 96 dies then have one days mourning plus the Funeral day but celebrate her life and put on all sports I noticed the Queen's favourite sport of Horse racing is going ahead on Sunday.  That footage of the Queen is brilliant with her race manager when one of her horses won a big race; I have never seen her so excited.

Grief is natural despite the timeline being different for all of us and the last thing this country needs is so many people who have lost income and desperately trying to get customers back to lose out yet again. If you haven't suffered financially over the last two years then lucky old you(I haven't either) but some have and events need to go ahead and no more than two days should be affected and that Includes the Monday of the funeral. 

Personally even that is too much. I don't need to grieve or see how anyone that doesn't know her does and I'm sure many many millions are the same.

Just celebrate her life and or/mourn if you want to, no need for empty gestures of cancelling things on her behalf.

Which is what I basically said !
    I'm trying to suggest the two days, tomorrow and Monday week to make a compromise to the folk who want to mourn for a couple of weeks when I believe the service and a good wake which we did for my cousin who died at 68 two weeks ago where I did my bit to celebrate a good life as that's what my cousin would have wanted; other than living another 30 years I would imagine.

Going from tears to laughter was a lovely way of remembering such a great guy and so cathartic for his twin sister and the rest of the family and friends as the stories were told and the drink flowed and laughter shared and a few more tears to prove we are human.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    But how many police officers were required to ensure law and order, now days we have upwards of 150 officers on duty with some in riot gear and others on horses, I went to football matches in the 50's and do not recall morethan a couple  of dozen polieman around the valley. If you look at the television from Buckhouse police are required for crowd control etc, so they can not police football matches at the same time.    
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    For me it really highlights how out of touch with society the whole thing is.
    Yeah a monarch of 70 years passing is out of touch for a few matches to be called off 
    I just don't see the correlation to sport. Did we call games off after 7/7? I cant remember.

Will all the shops be closed? Will the pubs be closed? Whats the cut off point here of what we can and cant enjoy due to paying respect.

Our televised match (with Chelsea IIRC) was called off after 9/11. I think we lost the TV fee too. Security was a factor though.

7/7 was in July…
    We played Port Vale at home on the 12/09/01 in the League Cup.

The Chelsea game was moved as Chelsea should have been playing in the Uefa Cup that week but UEFA called off most games that week in their comps (but not the ones on 11/9)  that game got rearranged onto the date of our game with Chelsea
  • Options
    Well played Chuks... Another week to avoid the 0-0-10 or whatever it is now.
  • Options
    Will sandguard hit the valley with a hendrix god saved the queen?

I believe it is a possibility that he may be considering 

• Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Actually surprised many want games to go ahead this weekend, I'd have thought any supporter of the Royals would have wanted games to be postponed this weekend at a minimum.
    People grieve in their own way.  Some would want to be indoors, others might want to carry on.  

At least if the sport is on you have a choice whatever your thoughts are.  
    But what about people who have to work at events that aren't postponed, they won't exactly have a choice. It all smacks a bit of I want to show I care but don't inconvenience me.
    Well it’s unfortunate if you don’t have a choice but what can we do about that.  You can show you care in a number of ways, cancelling football doesn’t have to be one of them.  And by the way I’m not gonna be angry if it is cancelled I just can’t see why it should be.  
    Just to be a pedant, it's not cancelled it's postponed. I'm no royalist by any means so personally I don't care either way. I just can't understand those that are and would be going and having fun in what is an official period of mourning. Seems hypocritical to me.
    Why does mourning not have to be about going and having 'fun'. It should be a chance to celebrate someone's life, especially someone who has lived so long and had such an impact on the nation. 

Because the word mourning literally means expressing sorrow. Fun and sorrow do not go together. Some great mental gymnastics in this thread.
    Ok, but do you expect children to mourn and express sorrow. Why should children be having their matches cancelled?

I can only assume that The Queen's great grandchildren will be prevented from playing games for two weeks. They won't be outdoors kicking a ball about, surely? 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    There are an awful lot of people on this thread seemingly knowing what The Queen would and would not have wanted.
    Fair point Bob, I’m guilty of that. Just think although done with completely the right intentions, but it’s the wrong call for a number of reasons.  And it gets really silly when kids football matches get cancelled so they just have a training session at exactly the same time and place instead. 
    I believe the FA/EFL have made the right call - but I would not agree with stopping children's football. As I said in an earlier post, that's my opinion and I respect those that would not agree with me - but either way it is for the relevant authorities to decide what they feel is appropriate rather than what The Queen may have wanted (which would have likely been no fuss, no inconvenience as that was her style). A woman of the stature of Her Majesty can't get away with no fuss!!
    Sorry, but I think there can still be plenty of fuss, and the EFL have made the wrong call.

Matches continued to be played after the death of King George VI in ‘52, and I believe the minutes silence and the singing of Abide With Me would have provided solace for many, and a moment of togetherness that wouldn’t have been available to millions otherwise. The same tribute a week or two later would have been less emotional, I suspect. 
    Perhaps surprisingly, there was a full fixtures list on the day of Winston Churchill’s funeral. 
    I'm sorry but is this not a bit different? 
    King George the VI had been on the throne 16 years? 
    What most of us have just witnessed will probably never happen again and even at 96 the Queen continued her duties to the end
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great to read a post from you once again, Grapevine.

You've been sorely missed. 
  • Options
    I would have loved to have been in a big crowd tomorrow marking the death of the Queen. 
  • Options
    I think cancelling kids games is a few steps too far.

• Options
    And let's not forget horse racing suspended  a couple of meetings halfway through on news of the Queens passing followed by 2 days of no racing out of respect.
    Cricket was suspended today as I believe a golf tournament.
  • Options
    I'm supposed to be at The Goodwood Revival next weekend. Would imagine it will still go ahead if the funeral is on Monday but can't see they'll have any other option but to cancel if it's Saturday. They and local businesses will lose an absolute fortune if it is cancelled, thousands of people from across the world are due to attend and all the hotels anywhere near the place have been booked up for months.
    They’ve announced that after consultation with the UK government, the event will go ahead with special moments throughout the weekend to remember the late Queen. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's just fake. Carrying on was very much what E2 stood for. 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Actually surprised many want games to go ahead this weekend, I'd have thought any supporter of the Royals would have wanted games to be postponed this weekend at a minimum.
    People grieve in their own way.  Some would want to be indoors, others might want to carry on.  

But what about people who have to work at events that aren't postponed, they won't exactly have a choice. It all smacks a bit of I want to show I care but don't inconvenience me.
    Well it’s unfortunate if you don’t have a choice but what can we do about that.  You can show you care in a number of ways, cancelling football doesn’t have to be one of them.  And by the way I’m not gonna be angry if it is cancelled I just can’t see why it should be.  
    Just to be a pedant, it's not cancelled it's postponed. I'm no royalist by any means so personally I don't care either way. I just can't understand those that are and would be going and having fun in what is an official period of mourning. Seems hypocritical to me.
    Why does mourning not have to be about going and having 'fun'. It should be a chance to celebrate someone's life, especially someone who has lived so long and had such an impact on the nation. 

Because the word mourning literally means expressing sorrow. Fun and sorrow do not go together. Some great mental gymnastics in this thread.
    Ok, but do you expect children to mourn and express sorrow. Why should children be having their matches cancelled?

I can only assume that The Queen's great grandchildren will be prevented from playing games for two weeks. They won't be outdoors kicking a ball about, surely? 
    No one has been banned from kicking a ball about, don’t be a wally.

Football has hit this spot on. The other sports have messed it up. 
    So for the first time ever the EFL and PL have got it right? I don't think so.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:

No one has been banned from kicking a ball about, don’t be a wally.

Football has hit this spot on. The other sports have messed it up. 

How is stopping kids football spot on?  No way the queen wanted young kids stopped exercising. I kind of get EFL/PL but below that. No.
  • Options
    This thread has surprised me.
    I really thought more people would of wanted to the game of football to standstill for 1  game.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    This thread has surprised me.
    I really thought more people would of wanted to the game of football to standstill for 1  game.
    I think there some people who think that it is the right thing to do, but like yourself it has surprised me just how few.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Not sure why, but it does seem appropriate, and feels right, to postpone todays games as a sign of respect.