Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sport in the aftermath - What should happen? (EFL fixtures resume Tues 13th Sept - p20)

Comments

• Options
    Croydon said:
    For me it really highlights how out of touch with society the whole thing is.
    Yeah a monarch of 70 years passing is out of touch for a few matches to be called off 
    I just don't see the correlation to sport. Did we call games off after 7/7? I cant remember.

Will all the shops be closed? Will the pubs be closed? Whats the cut off point here of what we can and cant enjoy due to paying respect.

unfortunately football requires a heavy amount of policing you also have 2 clubs in celtic and liverpool whos fans ( a small proportion ) are lets be honest going to be political etc there has already been videos of mickys singing derrogatory songs and the "green brigade" of celtic putting offensive graffiti up. so will stir things up tomorrow. 

a huge amount of people will be travelling to the capital for the next 2 weeks so you cant just call off london games. 
  • Options
    Who is reimbersing my train fare from Chesterfield?

• Options
    So the Test match is on in London tomorrow, and London Irish will be playing tomorrow (at Brentford's ground incidentally).

All making the football decision a bit of an outlier
    I'm very confident that the cricket and rugby fans won't require heavy policing, won't be causing trouble and won't be singing offensive songs.
  • Options
    I also suspect that the Queen wouldn’t have wanted people to miss out on going to matches. 
  • Options
    i personally am more upset over our monarch dying then me missing exeter at home followed by a pub to watch spurs city but then each to there own etc 
    Can’t you be upset about both Ry surely it’s possible?
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    When I said earlier in this thread that I won’t be angry if it’s all called off, I lied.  Golf, Cricket and rugby all resuming tomorrow.  FA, plonkers.
    Seen a load of comedians saying gigs are ongoing etc too.

Does seem strange it's all a bit inconsistent.
  • Options
    i personally am more upset over our monarch dying then me missing exeter at home followed by a pub to watch spurs city but then each to there own etc 
    Can’t you be upset about both Ry surely it’s possible?
    i can but for me its the right thing to do, i do however completely agree that it should be sports or no sports across the board, the policing issue is only really prevalent for London although for balance the Notting hill carnival and a lot of london matches went on on the same weekend all requiring police presence. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Who is reimbersing my train fare from Chesterfield?

@w@willieduff

• Options
    Well, what's happened, has happened. 

When football returns next week, presumably, there should be well worked organised celebrations for the life she lived.

Everyone at each ground can unite together and sing her national anthem, watch the relatable videos and celebrate. 

• Options
    But we knew the EFL are morons, it’s not a surprise!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    There are an awful lot of people on this thread seemingly knowing what The Queen would and would not have wanted.
    She did have 96 years to convey that
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Well, what's happened, has happened. 

When football returns next week, presumably, there should be well worked organised celebrations for the life she lived.

Everyone at each ground can unite together and sing her national anthem, watch the relatable videos and celebrate. 
    That’s a nice idea, but there’s a risk of overdoing the video part after the blanket coverage of recent days. They sang Abide With Me in ‘52, although that song is seldom sung these days.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    There are an awful lot of people on this thread seemingly knowing what The Queen would and would not have wanted.
    No there hasn’t, there’s been a load guessing that she wouldn’t of wanted it all cancelled.  Aren’t we allowed to guess now?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Fair point Bob, I’m guilty of that. Just think although done with completely the right intentions, but it’s the wrong call for a number of reasons.  And it gets really silly when kids football matches get cancelled so they just have a training session at exactly the same time and place instead. 
    I believe the FA/EFL have made the right call - but I would not agree with stopping children's football. As I said in an earlier post, that's my opinion and I respect those that would not agree with me - but either way it is for the relevant authorities to decide what they feel is appropriate rather than what The Queen may have wanted (which would have likely been no fuss, no inconvenience as that was her style). A woman of the stature of Her Majesty can't get away with no fuss!!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    When a Queen of 96 dies then have one days mourning plus the Funeral day but celebrate her life and put on all sports I noticed the Queen's favourite sport of Horse racing is going ahead on Sunday.  That footage of the Queen is brilliant with her race manager when one of her horses won a big race; I have never seen her so excited.

Grief is natural despite the timeline being different for all of us and the last thing this country needs is so many people who have lost income and desperately trying to get customers back to lose out yet again. If you haven't suffered financially over the last two years then lucky old you(I haven't either) but some have and events need to go ahead and no more than two days should be affected and that Includes the Monday of the funeral. 

• Options
    /soapboxsam said:
    When a Queen of 96 dies then have one days mourning plus the Funeral day but celebrate her life and put on all sports I noticed the Queen's favourite sport of Horse racing is going ahead on Sunday.  That footage of the Queen is brilliant with her race manager when one of her horses won a big race; I have never seen her so excited.

Grief is natural despite the timeline being different for all of us and the last thing this country needs is so many people who have lost income and desperately trying to get customers back to lose out yet again. If you haven't suffered financially over the last two years then lucky old you(I haven't either) but some have and events need to go ahead and no more than two days should be affected and that Includes the Monday of the funeral. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-9lNdksU-c
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    She did have 96 years to convey that
    What did she tell you? 
  • Options

Personally even that is too much. I don't need to grieve or see how anyone that doesn't know her does and I'm sure many many millions are the same.

Just celebrate her life and or/mourn if you want to, no need for empty gestures of cancelling things on her behalf.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    I reckon the FA, EFL and Premier League will be sitting there now feeling pretty embarrassed - especially after other sports have made it clear they’re continuing.

The scenes from those football matches would have been played around the world. 
    Agreed and it could've been done well. A 2 minutes silence at all games, the National anthem played etc, especially as the first games back they'll do most of that anyway.

I can see why they've been called off and to be honest it wasn't unexpected, but i think it should've been a government decision for all sports across the board. As now we're left with well why couldn't we play if they are.

The cancellation of kids football is bizarre though, my mates kids under 8s team have had their game called off. That's crazy.
  • Options
    Ben18 said:
    My little boy has just started football (and is loving it), and his training session tomorrow morning has been cancelled.

Meanwhile, I can go and play cricket in the afternoon. Look forward to explaining that one to him.
    Or don’t go and do something nice with him?
    He didn’t say he would go, only that he can go. 
  • Options
    I emailed the EFL regarding Tuesday and they sent a reply saying a decision hasn't been made. 

I can see it all being called of for the next 2 weeks 
    It would make no sense cancelling Tuesday's games when other sports have already resumed. 
    On that basis, given it’s the FA and EFL, expect them to be called off. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Croydon said:
    For me it really highlights how out of touch with society the whole thing is.
    Yeah a monarch of 70 years passing is out of touch for a few matches to be called off 
    I just don't see the correlation to sport. Did we call games off after 7/7? I cant remember.

Will all the shops be closed? Will the pubs be closed? Whats the cut off point here of what we can and cant enjoy due to paying respect.

Our televised match (with Chelsea IIRC) was called off after 9/11. I think we lost the TV fee too. Security was a factor though.

7/7 was in July…