Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sport in the aftermath - What should happen? (EFL fixtures resume Tues 13th Sept - p20)

Comments

• Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Nothing says respect like singing songs about opposition fans being incestuous. Weird.
    So what you think these types will have a weekend off being obnoxious in memory of the queen?!
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Nothing says respect like singing songs about opposition fans being incestuous. Weird.
    So what you think these types will have a weekend off being obnoxious in memory of the queen?!
    Absolutely not but it's just more of the hypocrisy around regarding this stuff. Either the monarchy is an important part of British culture or it isn't. There can't be a halfway house.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Absolutely not but it's just more of the hypocrisy around regarding this stuff. Either the monarchy is an important part of British culture or it isn't. There can't be a halfway house.
    Are we going about the national mourning in a half hearted way though?
    As valley gary and a few others have said the footballs off but other things carry on.
    We can still do quite a number of things.
    Am I right in thinking unless a public holiday is called for the funeral businesses can carry on  as normal?
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    It is an important part of British culture.  But how that leads to cancelling a weekends sport is a mystery to me.  There’s a million ways to show respect without cancelling things.  
  • Options
    Absolute joke that kids football is off - so they’ll end up sitting indoors bored on their phones instead…
    Isn't that more on the parents though than the government/FA?

If they can't find a single other thing for their children to do. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Presumably those of you who agree with this decison and see it as a mark of rememberence and respect will be standing in silence for 90 minutes on Saturday?

Or will you just be cracking on with something else? 

I equally wonder how those cope over the three months of summer when there is no competitive Football on at all - Got visions of Football fans around the country just standing at their windows, sighing, and going... "Only X number of weeks till I can go out again" ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Absolute joke that kids football is off - so they’ll end up sitting indoors bored on their phones instead…
    Isn't that more on the parents though than the government/FA?

If they can't find a single other thing for their children to do. 
    Of course I can find other things for them to do but it’s the first game of the season, the kids have been looking forward to it etc. They could do a minute’s silence etc, while still seeing their friends and getting exercise outdoors. Think it’s a terrible decision given everything that’s happened the past couple of years. 
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Rugby League and the Great North Run are still going ahead.

I presume these events are very disrespectful 
    As AFKA says... Its not the Government who have cancelled the events

Its up to each individual Organisation to make their own decisions
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Presumably those of you who agree with this decison and see it as a mark of rememberence and respect will be standing in silence for 90 minutes on Saturday?

We're going up London, where to exactly is to be sorted out this evening, but won't be standing for 90 minutes silence anywhere though mate. Might have some moments of reflection at some point, but feel it's important we make the effort to go out of our way to pay our respects.
    That's great mate. I just don't see why that respect cannot be shown during the other twenty two and a half hours on Saturday, or on any other day/time? 

Theatres remain open, both codes of rugby are still playing. The sport she patronised the most is only having two days off - racing re-commences on Sunday.     
  • Options

Actually, having been notified of HM‘s allegiance, I hope all football ever is cancelled.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Naturally disappointed the match is posponed tomorrow BUT imo this is the right decision. 

The Queen dedicated 70 years to serve Britain.  A small ask to give up a weekend of my sport to recognise her unique and outstanding contribution as our ambassador throughout her long reign.

God bless her. RIP
    I just don’t get the correlation and I say that as a huge monarchist. 

If we are to ‘stop normal life’ as a mark of respect then shops, pubs, restaurants etc should also be closed as well as cancelling sport. Parkrun is going ahead tomorrow, racing is going ahead on Sunday. 

It all ends up an inconsistent mish mash and in complete contrast to the steadfast ‘carry on’ approach the Queen so wonderfully embodied. 
    Don't agree. 

The idea is to postpone planned public events as a mark of respect to the Queen.

As far as i can see, no one is suggesting people should stay indoors and not go to the pub or Lidls, or to work (as someone else suggested earlier).

I can't see the thinking behind linking the postponement of large sporting events, to everyone having to stand for 90 minutes silence or closing pubs and shops. That really is totally unconnected. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

We're going up London, where to exactly is to be sorted out this evening, but won't be standing for 90 minutes silence anywhere though mate. Might have some moments of reflection at some point, but feel it's important we make the effort to go out of our way to pay our respects.
    That's great mate. I just don't see why that respect cannot be shown during the other twenty two and a half hours on Saturday, or on any other day/time? 

Theatres remain open, both codes of rugby are still playing. The sport she patronised the most is only having two days off - racing re-commences on Sunday.     
    Can do that too at the next fixture
  • Options
    My mates old man works for sky and has lost two days of pay as a result. I'm sure there will be 10's of thousands out of pocket as a result
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

Can do that too at the next fixture
    So do you think everything should be cancelled this weekend, or just football?
  • Options
    I got 6 kids to keep busy ( 4 sons and two mates) mrs away for her 40th in Devon (not sure she should be having fun)
    was taking 5 of em to Charlton and the 16 year old is playing adults cricket (still on atm)
    Little shits footy training is on tomorrow morning
    Peter Kay's footy match is off Sunday morning both at the same ground .
    Boffin has adult cricket Sunday as well 

it's all too random 

I always think everyone should choose how they'd like to pay their own respects but understand this is what's happening , so we get on with it .

• Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Rugby League and the Great North Run are still going ahead.

I presume these events are very disrespectful 
    As AFKA says... Its not the Government who have cancelled the events

Its up to each individual Organisation to make their own decisions
    Thanks was aware of that.

You can add some Rugby Union games going ahead, and possibly the Test Match