Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sport in the aftermath - What should happen? (EFL fixtures resume Tues 13th Sept - p20)

Comments

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Presumably those of you who agree with this decison and see it as a mark of rememberence and respect will be standing in silence for 90 minutes on Saturday?

Or will you just be cracking on with something else? 

We're going up London, where to exactly is to be sorted out this evening, but won't be standing for 90 minutes silence anywhere though mate. Might have some moments of reflection at some point, but feel it's important we make the effort to go out of our way to pay our respects.
    You could have done all that with the football still on.
    Never said we couldn’t, but you're obviously missing the point 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Presumably those of you who agree with this decison and see it as a mark of rememberence and respect will be standing in silence for 90 minutes on Saturday?

We're going up London, where to exactly is to be sorted out this evening, but won't be standing for 90 minutes silence anywhere though mate. Might have some moments of reflection at some point, but feel it's important we make the effort to go out of our way to pay our respects.
    You could have done all that with the football still on.
    Never said we couldn’t, but you're obviously missing the point 
    Not at all.  

You said everything should be cancelled, how about trains which I’m assuming you’re taking to London?  Also bars and restaurants?
  • Options
    Assuming non league is on then I will be heading to watch Beckenham tomorrow.  Wanted to anyway so our game being cancelled works out ok
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Croydon said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

That's great mate. I just don't see why that respect cannot be shown during the other twenty two and a half hours on Saturday, or on any other day/time? 

Theatres remain open, both codes of rugby are still playing. The sport she patronised the most is only having two days off - racing re-commences on Sunday.     
    Can do that too at the next fixture
    So do you think everything should be cancelled this weekend, or just football?
    Everything. Either while the Queen lays in state, or during the official period of mourning (if they're not over the same time period). I wouldn't expect it to be more than 2 games as far as football is concerned.

I just think this is such an unprecedented occurance, it needs to be marked accordingly.

Where would you draw the line out of interest? Should Oxford Street shops close? What about pubs and nightclubs?
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

That's great mate. I just don't see why that respect cannot be shown during the other twenty two and a half hours on Saturday, or on any other day/time? 

Theatres remain open, both codes of rugby are still playing. The sport she patronised the most is only having two days off - racing re-commences on Sunday.     
    I think you misread what I wrote Rob. You can show respect at any time is the point.  

I was, of course, being flippant with my remark about standing around for 90 minutes doing nothing. But we will have to agree to disagree over certain things being taboo when the monarch dies and others being allowed to crack on regardless. 

To me, you are either in deep mourning, or you ain't.   
  • Options
    Assuming non league is on then I will be heading to watch Beckenham tomorrow.  Wanted to anyway so our game being cancelled works out ok
    All non league off
  • Options
    Premier League have said it’s nothing to do with policing. Can’t see the justification for it in that case. 
  • Options
    Really disappointed re grass roots football. Kids are all at school today and tomorrow was the long awaited first game of the season. It makes no sense, I cannot believe the Queen would have wanted this? It would have been better for them to have a minutes slience, wear black armbands and for parents and coaches to be able to talk about it.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Gribbo said:
    Croydon said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

Everything. Either while the Queen lays in state, or during the official period of mourning (if they're not over the same time period). I wouldn't expect it to be more than 2 games as far as football is concerned.

I just think this is such an unprecedented occurance, it needs to be marked accordingly.

Where would you draw the line out of interest? Should Oxford Street shops close? What about pubs and nightclubs?
    It's not really for me to draw the line.

Ive explained where I am regarding sporting events, and as far as Oxford Street is concerned I'd expect the big department stores up town to maybe dress windows in honour of the Queen, or something along those lines, but it's up to them. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Vincenzo said:
    Premier League have said it’s nothing to do with policing. Can’t see the justification for it in that case. 

Me either.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Croydon said:
    Gribbo said:
    Croydon said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

It's not really for me to draw the line.

Ive explained where I am regarding sporting events, and as far as Oxford Street is concerned I'd expect the big department stores up town to maybe dress windows in honour of the Queen, or something along those lines, but it's up to them. 
    I'm with you Gribbo.
    But for me it is a shame.
    For someone who has just served her country for 70 years things should of been more clear cut.
    The different organisations, associations should of already known what was going to happen 
  • Options

I equally wonder how those cope over the three months of summer when there is no competitive Football on at all - Got visions of Football fans around the country just standing at their windows, sighing, and going... "Only X number of weeks till I can go out again" ;)
    We watch golf or cricket.

But we cant do that as they have been cancelled too. 

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

I think you misread what I wrote Rob. You can show respect at any time is the point.  

I was, of course, being flippant with my remark about standing around for 90 minutes doing nothing. But we will have to agree to disagree over certain things being taboo when the monarch dies and others being allowed to crack on regardless. 

Can't see why you're coming up with extremes of going into "deep" mourning, and carrying on regardless.

It's just the token postponement of possibly 2 games and other sporting event over a short period of time. We've not got to walk around in black and keep slapping the tops of our heads or nothing. 
  • Options
    postponing one weekend of sport is a proportionate response, shops in the past stayed open but where draped in mourning colours 
    for example as people do need to carry on most of daily life.
  • Options
    On a side note, the Bank of England have cancelled their meeting scheduled for next Thursday where they would be deciding on another interest rate rise. The meeting is now scheduled for the 22nd. 

So.....if the BOE thinks nothing can happen for at least a week I'm assuming we can all take next week off. Yes ? Or does work/ sport just stop for certain things ?
  • Options
    All cricket on 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    msomerton said:
    postponing one weekend of sport is a proportionate response, shops in the past stayed open but where draped in mourning colours 
    Seem to remember Harrods doing their windows in black drapes with portrait photos of Di, when she passed away. 

Would've thought Harvey Nics, Fortnum and Mason and Selfridges etc to do something similar. Not sure what relationship Harrods has had with the Queen though
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    msomerton said:
    Except go to football. Why football? Why not, I dunno, pole dancing?  It’s random. It’s nothing to do with respect. It’s virtue signalling that benefits absolutely no one. 
    I didn’t wanna say it but that’s exactly what it is.  
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

Can't see why you're coming up with extremes of going into "deep" mourning, and carrying on regardless.

It's just the token postponement of possibly 2 games and other sporting event over a short period of time. We've not got to walk around in black and keep slapping the tops of our heads or nothing. 
    As I said, theatres are open, rugby games are going ahead, her own favourite sport is restarting on Sunday.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
  • Options
    Those attending rugby, cricket and theatre don't need to be made to bend the forelock
  • Options
    2 minute silence and a belting out of God Save the queen would have been perfect IMO - all games all over the country doing it at the same time . Think the FA/EFL have dropped a clanger here. 
    Not a chance the Scousers would have kept quiet for 2 minutes 
  • Options
    My mates have been massively mugged off now the test is restarting tomorrow 
  • Options
    So the Test match is on in London tomorrow, and London Irish will be playing tomorrow (at Brentford's ground incidentally).

All making the football decision a bit of an outlier
  • Options
    I wonder if the train companies and hotels etc will honour away fans tickets for the rearranged games ?