Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sport in the aftermath - What should happen? (EFL fixtures resume Tues 13th Sept - p20)

Comments

• Options
    2 minute silence and a belting out of God Save the queen would have been perfect IMO - all games all over the country doing it at the same time . Think the FA/EFL have dropped a clanger here. 
    Agreed. National Anthem and 2 minute silence. I do not think she would have wanted this. Some of the smaller clubs will be out of pocket now so will the FA/EFL reimburse them ? 
  • Options
    To be honest i started out thinking it was the right call to postpone, but I've now completely changed my mind the more I've thought about it and listened to the arguments.

Think the PL and FA probably acted with best intentions this morning but they have misjudged the mood here.

Wonder if there is a possibility of this decision being reversed?

• Options
    My little boy has just started football (and is loving it), and his training session tomorrow morning has been cancelled.

Meanwhile, I can go and play cricket in the afternoon. Look forward to explaining that one to him.
  • Options
    Ben18 said:
    My little boy has just started football (and is loving it), and his training session tomorrow morning has been cancelled.

Meanwhile, I can go and play cricket in the afternoon. Look forward to explaining that one to him.
    Just stay indoors mate. 
  • Options
    Ben18 said:

Or don’t go and do something nice with him?
    Cheers for the parenting advice
  • Options
    Ben18 said:
    Ben18 said:

Or don’t go and do something nice with him?
    Cheers for the parenting advice
    No worries 
  • Options
    Had an email earlier from the organisers of the classic car show in Edenbridge that mine's booked into on Sunday to say it's still going ahead. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    EFL in strange decision shock…
  • Options
    Bonkers I’m off to the Oval all day and my wife and kids can’t go to Charlton. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Croydon said:
    Gribbo said:
    Croydon said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Presumably those of you who agree with this decison and see it as a mark of rememberence and respect will be standing in silence for 90 minutes on Saturday?

Or will you just be cracking on with something else? 

We're going up London, where to exactly is to be sorted out this evening, but won't be standing for 90 minutes silence anywhere though mate. Might have some moments of reflection at some point, but feel it's important we make the effort to go out of our way to pay our respects.
    That's great mate. I just don't see why that respect cannot be shown during the other twenty two and a half hours on Saturday, or on any other day/time? 

Theatres remain open, both codes of rugby are still playing. The sport she patronised the most is only having two days off - racing re-commences on Sunday.     
    Can do that too at the next fixture
    So do you think everything should be cancelled this weekend, or just football?
    Everything. Either while the Queen lays in state, or during the official period of mourning (if they're not over the same time period). I wouldn't expect it to be more than 2 games as far as football is concerned.

I just think this is such an unprecedented occurance, it needs to be marked accordingly.

Where would you draw the line out of interest? Should Oxford Street shops close? What about pubs and nightclubs?
    It's not really for me to draw the line.

Ive explained where I am regarding sporting events, and as far as Oxford Street is concerned I'd expect the big department stores up town to maybe dress windows in honour of the Queen, or something along those lines, but it's up to them. 
    I know it's not up to you, was just interested to see where you personally thought tnr line should be drawn.

I don't understand why pottering around the shops is deemed acceptable but attending a football match isn't. 
  • Options
    Now things have got really out of hand. I went to the charity shop to get some new underwear (well new for me at least). They are all closed!
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    My missus and I start our NCT classes at the end of September- I kid you not I’ve just had an email saying despite the passing, the classes will continue to take place.  Not that I expected them to be canceled, I just think this is a ott to even need to send an email out 
  • Options
    Assuming non league is on then I will be heading to watch Beckenham tomorrow.  Wanted to anyway so our game being cancelled works out ok
    Off. AAjr was going to that. 
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    Vincenzo said:
    Premier League have said it’s nothing to do with policing. Can’t see the justification for it in that case. 
    it is called respect. the head of state of our country has died and it respect of the individual and the role they had as head of our state,
    So why aren’t the pubs closed?
  • Options
    Royal mail and South Eastern crew of union rep ive got your back, decided to withdraw from schedualed strikes.

They are working because of the sad news. They did the right thing to withdraw from the strike!
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Why would anyone be offended by Barnsley v Port Vale? 

Why is it respectful to cancel it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I emailed the EFL regarding Tuesday and they sent a reply saying a decision hasn't been made. 

I can see it all being called of for the next 2 weeks 
  • Options
    When I said earlier in this thread that I won’t be angry if it’s all called off, I lied.  Golf, Cricket and rugby all resuming tomorrow.  FA, plonkers.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Why would anyone be offended by interested in Barnsley v Port Vale? 

Why is it respectful to cancel it?
    Fixed for you
  • Options
    I emailed the EFL regarding Tuesday and they sent a reply saying a decision hasn't been made. 

I can see it all being called of for the next 2 weeks 
    It would make no sense cancelling Tuesday's games when other sports have already resumed. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Gribbo said:
    Croydon said:
    Gribbo said:
    Croydon said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Presumably those of you who agree with this decison and see it as a mark of rememberence and respect will be standing in silence for 90 minutes on Saturday?

We're going up London, where to exactly is to be sorted out this evening, but won't be standing for 90 minutes silence anywhere though mate. Might have some moments of reflection at some point, but feel it's important we make the effort to go out of our way to pay our respects.
    That's great mate. I just don't see why that respect cannot be shown during the other twenty two and a half hours on Saturday, or on any other day/time? 

Theatres remain open, both codes of rugby are still playing. The sport she patronised the most is only having two days off - racing re-commences on Sunday.     
    Everything. Either while the Queen lays in state, or during the official period of mourning (if they're not over the same time period). I wouldn't expect it to be more than 2 games as far as football is concerned.

I just think this is such an unprecedented occurance, it needs to be marked accordingly.

Where would you draw the line out of interest? Should Oxford Street shops close? What about pubs and nightclubs?

Ive explained where I am regarding sporting events, and as far as Oxford Street is concerned I'd expect the big department stores up town to maybe dress windows in honour of the Queen, or something along those lines, but it's up to them. 
    I know it's not up to you, was just interested to see where you personally thought tnr line should be drawn.

I don't understand why pottering around the shops is deemed acceptable but attending a football match isn't. 
    Yeah I know its not up to me too, but I don't want to sound like I'm listing demands, so just covering myself.

Still struggling to see how you can't differentiate between postponing sporting events and closing pubs and shops etc.

If a family experienced a loss but had a holiday booked for the following week, would it be understandable to you that the holiday was cancelled (or rearranged where possible), but they'd still go down the pub with friends or other relatives to have a chat about recent events?
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Gribbo said:
    Croydon said:
    Gribbo said:
    Croydon said:
    Gribbo said:
    Croydon said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

Yeah I know its not up to me too, but I don't want to sound like I'm listing demands, so just covering myself.

Still struggling to see how you can't differentiate between postponing sporting events and closing pubs and shops etc.

If a family experienced a loss but had a holiday booked for the following week, would it be understandable to you that the holiday was cancelled (or rearranged where possible), but they'd still go down the pub with friends or other relatives to have a chat about recent events?
    Well yes in that instance because that's their own family member. The difference is they have the choice to go on that holiday or not, whereas we are having this choice made for us.

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Gribbo said:
    Croydon said:
    Gribbo said:
    Croydon said:
    Gribbo said:
    Croydon said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

Well yes in that instance because that's their own family member. The difference is they have the choice to go on that holiday or not, whereas we are having this choice made for us.

Yeah but the concept is the same
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    I reckon the FA, EFL and Premier League will be sitting there now feeling pretty embarrassed - especially after other sports have made it clear they’re continuing.

The scenes from those football matches would have been played around the world. 
    They wanted to be seen to do the right thing but then cricket and a few other sporting bodies, said fuck it we go again tomorrow, they will absolutely be sitting there head in hands.  
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    I reckon the FA, EFL and Premier League will be sitting there now feeling pretty embarrassed - especially after other sports have made it clear they’re continuing.

The scenes from those football matches would have been played around the world. 
    Should of all been sorted out before hand tom.