Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sport in the aftermath - What should happen? (EFL fixtures resume Tues 13th Sept - p20)

Comments

• Options
    RedPanda said:
    I believe it's a police issue as well, the Met have basically cancelled all leave next week. So that'll surely impact midweek games.

I guess us vs Forest Green could slip through the net as it's so low key but other fixtures will fall - eg. no way the police are putting men aside for Millwall v QPR 
    Police issues are clearly a factor which would affect high profile sport more than say theatres or cinemas, but tonally it would seem odd to cancel sport but let people go and watch musicals in the West End, so it'll be interesting what else gets cancelled. 
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    I believe it's a police issue as well, the Met have basically cancelled all leave next week. So that'll surely impact midweek games.

I guess us vs Forest Green could slip through the net as it's so low key but other fixtures will fall - eg. no way the police are putting men aside for Millwall v QPR 
    If they’ve cancelled all leave there should be plenty of police available to get the games on!
  • Options
    philcafc said:
    I would be very surprised if any games go ahead this weekend. Probably the following weekend as well as I would imagine that will be when the funeral takes place.

This is not good.

I don't know why people feel overly pressurised to turn away from reality.

I highly doubt the Queen would want that to happen. 

She is and was a mature, clever, delicate, caring elderly lady
  • Options
    Selfishly I couldnt go tomorrow as working at 7pm and engineering works between basingstoke and woking meant I couldnt back in time. I guess we will have to wait to hear about Tuesday.

Never the less right decision.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I would have prefered to have the games go ahead and show some respect there. But on the other hand the authorities are going to be stretched to the limits as it is. Plus I'm sure that Wolves fans are happy at the postponement as they're due to play the scouser c***s this weekend who I'm sure would let their feelings known.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Virtually everything is being postponed !!

Even the Canterbury Duck Race

Pub landlords must be rubbing their hands with glee….
  • Options
    Personally think that Elizabeth Windsor, (as a third person) would expect racing, football, cricket and golf etc, to be rescheduled over a couple of days, in order to pay respects to a figurehead such as a King or Queen, especially one who carried out their duties and responsibilities to such an impeccable standard, as our Queen did.
  • Options
    Personally feel that a more impressive mark of respect would be to keep games on and have minutes silence, allowing those who want to sing the national anthem to do so.
    Agreed. I was hoping to pay tribute at the game.
  • Options
    I assume all football will be off now until the funeral? Or is there a sliding scale of mourning based on which day we’re on?
  • Options
    The policing makes a very valid point with the amount of people flocking to the capital over the next week. 

Will make it very difficult for the police to effectively deal with football crowds around the country and on the trains. 
  • Options
    Personally feel that a more impressive mark of respect would be to keep games on and have minutes silence, allowing those who want to sing the national anthem to do so.
    Agreed. I was hoping to pay tribute at the game.
    This can all still happen at the next game back
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think they are getting it badly wrong but must remember it’s the sporting bodies that are calling things off, not the monarchy, government, clubs etc 

In fact using these sporting events is a fantastic way of collectively showing respect as a gathering, not suppressing it.  
    this is what makes me think that next weekend everything will go ahead with suitable tributes made across the country. I'm pretty sure the funeral will be the 19th.
  • Options
    ridiculous decision., one positive is that it gives our injured players more to to gain fitness before the next match and sign an out of contract striker - nor really!
  • Options
    Personally I can accept this decision and understand it.
    I would’ve liked to go to the football tomorrow but as we only have to wait until Tuesday I can handle it.
    There is a large fixture list on Tuesday and therefore that provides the opportunity for a lot of people to come together anyway.
    I hope that at the Valley we do things right, the appropriate words are spoken and listened to, and we have a time of silence, not applause.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    For me it really highlights how out of touch with society the whole thing is.
    Yeah a monarch of 70 years passing is out of touch for a few matches to be called off 
    I just don't see the correlation to sport. Did we call games off after 7/7? I cant remember.

Will all the shops be closed? Will the pubs be closed? Whats the cut off point here of what we can and cant enjoy due to paying respect.

I find it strange and that opinion is pretty much universally echoed in my work place today. Might be largely a generational thing?
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Yeah a monarch of 70 years passing is out of touch for a few matches to be called off 
    I just don't see the correlation to sport. Did we call games off after 7/7? I cant remember.

Will all the shops be closed? Will the pubs be closed? Whats the cut off point here of what we can and cant enjoy due to paying respect.

Similar to how I see it.  I accept it and although I would like to have gone tomorrow, will respect it.  But I do agree, what’s the cut off point?  Exactly as you say, you can make the argument it would be just as much a mark of respect to close other businesses.  I’m not sure why sporting events and occasions are singled out as such 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Nothing says respect like singing songs about opposition fans being incestuous. Weird.
  • Options
    Lurker said:
    Croydon said:

I find it strange and that opinion is pretty much universally echoed in my work place today. Might be largely a generational thing?
    don't think so as I remember the Queen's coronation, but then I'm not a royalist