Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sport in the aftermath - What should happen? (EFL fixtures resume Tues 13th Sept - p20)

Comments

• Options
    clb74 said:

Stay classy Sheffield international 
    Arranging a friendly is classless, wow.  
    No.
    My classy reference was in regards to the because the Queen died.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:

Stay classy Sheffield international 
    Arranging a friendly is classless, wow.  
    No.
    My classy reference was in regards to the because the Queen died.
    Okay fair dos, on second look it does come across slightly sarcastic.  
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Given the restricted policing issue, what are the chances of us playing on Tues and next Saturday?
    All depends on what the safety certificate at Charlton and Fleetwood says re the minimum of Police and Stewarding required
    And who you’re playing.
    The amount of staff needed for the games will have already been predetermined based on the opposition and intelligence, requested and booked.
    If they can’t be guaranteed because they are being moved elsewhere then you have a problem.
    The policing of the funeral ‘could’ require requests from bordering forces for mutual aid. Doesn’t happen often.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Given the restricted policing issue, what are the chances of us playing on Tues and next Saturday?
    All depends on what the safety certificate at Charlton and Fleetwood says re the minimum of Police and Stewarding required
    And who you’re playing.
    The amount of staff needed for the games will have already been predetermined based on the opposition and intelligence, requested and booked.
    If they can’t be guaranteed because they are being moved elsewhere then you have a problem.
    The policing of the funeral ‘could’ require requests from bordering forces for mutual aid. Doesn’t happen often.

• Options
    From a security and policing standpoint, it's hard to imagine that  a game at Fleetwood next Saturday would cause an issue, but any home game in or near London might be at risk.
  • Options
    Yeah, but I'm bored, why can't I have my football match, it's so unfair?
    I know there isn't enough police available today, but you wouldn't have needed any at football games.
    ALL football fans are respectful, they don't abuse people, they don't disrespect the minute's silence (ok we stopped doing it and had to applaud instead), but let's ignore that.
    Ok we sing songs about incest and how every club we play is a shithole and we have to all be kept apart but we really are ALL respectful.
  • Options
    I'd be very surprosed if the FGR game is called off. They don't travel in big numbers so doubt they will bring more than 200 (if that). The actual home crowd will be around 6/7k.

Pretty sure we have had a number of games where there have been zero police inside the stadium and the bare minimum outside.

I've already said that the games today ahould have gone ahead and I stand by that. If they start postponing the midweek games that will be overkill of the highest order.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Vincenzo said:
    The cricket is on at The Oval but you can only buy two drinks at the bar at a time because three drinks would be DISRESPECTFUL. 
    Obviously every single spectator doesn’t have principles and standards..
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Actually surprised many want games to go ahead this weekend, I'd have thought any supporter of the Royals would have wanted games to be postponed this weekend at a minimum.
    People grieve in their own way.  Some would want to be indoors, others might want to carry on.  

At least if the sport is on you have a choice whatever your thoughts are.  
    But what about people who have to work at events that aren't postponed, they won't exactly have a choice. It all smacks a bit of I want to show I care but don't inconvenience me.
    Well it’s unfortunate if you don’t have a choice but what can we do about that.  You can show you care in a number of ways, cancelling football doesn’t have to be one of them.  And by the way I’m not gonna be angry if it is cancelled I just can’t see why it should be.  
    Just to be a pedant, it's not cancelled it's postponed. I'm no royalist by any means so personally I don't care either way. I just can't understand those that are and would be going and having fun in what is an official period of mourning. Seems hypocritical to me.
    Why does mourning not have to be about going and having 'fun'. It should be a chance to celebrate someone's life, especially someone who has lived so long and had such an impact on the nation. 

Because the word mourning literally means expressing sorrow. Fun and sorrow do not go together. Some great mental gymnastics in this thread.
    Ok, but do you expect children to mourn and express sorrow. Why should children be having their matches cancelled?

I can only assume that The Queen's great grandchildren will be prevented from playing games for two weeks. They won't be outdoors kicking a ball about, surely? 
    No one has been banned from kicking a ball about, don’t be a wally.

Football has hit this spot on. The other sports have messed it up. 
    Er, yes they have.
    No, they haven’t, they can still go the park, garden or road.

I do agree that cancelling kids games is ridiculous and OTT, but was replying to JMs’ “they won’t be outdoors kicking a ball about” which obviously anyone can still do. 
    You said "No one has been banned from kicking a ball about".  Every player who wanted to go to play an organised game of football in this country and many such players in Scotland have been banned from doing that.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    I’ve seen arguments for it being called off due to worries about crowd reactions, the mail ran a story but to be fair they’re probably just stirring as usual to get us all foaming at the mouth at Celtic and Liverpool.  But let’s assume they’re correct for a second.  

Since when did we give in to a minority of idiots?  I’m no monarchist that’s for sure, but that’s what anyone booing would be, an idiot.  
    Since we stopped routinely having minute's silences and having minute's applauses instead. While I'm sure the vast majority of fans would observe it impeccably, it only takes a handful of pissed-up dickheads rocking up late and making a row, and nearby fans reacting angrily to that to disrupt the whole thing. And that's before we get to more organised disruption - I'd hope that anti-monarchist/anti-nationalist elements in certain fanbases would have the decency to not try to use it to make a political point, but I wouldn't bet my reputation on it, and I assume that the football authorities have made the same calculation. Given the decision had to be made less than 24 hours after there was any inkling that the Queen was ill, let alone that she had died, in order to allow clubs and fans to change their travel plans, I'm not going to give them a kicking for possibly getting it wrong. The postponements also allow more time to make a considered decision about what kind of tribute is appropriate at matches, and make everyone aware of it before the game.
    You are aware they can do their disruption at the game where the minute silence or whatever does actually occur?  Postponing these games hasn't stopped that possibility.
  • Options
    I know there isn't enough police available today, but you wouldn't have needed any at football games.
    ALL football fans are respectful, they don't abuse people, they don't disrespect the minute's silence (ok we stopped doing it and had to applaud instead), but let's ignore that.
    Ok we sing songs about incest and how every club we play is a shithole and we have to all be kept apart but we really are ALL respectful.
    But the games weren't called off because of a lack of police being available.  If the Met had said they can't give us the coppers we need for our game, therefore that specific game needs to be called off, fair dos.  They didn't.  And I'm not quite sure how many plod would be needed for all the girls' U8s games, I suspect not too many, but they were called off, too.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    You OK hun?
    I'm not sure he's living his best life.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    You OK hun?
    I'm not sure he's living his best life.
    I'm absolutely fine. 
    I'm not whinging because football was cancelled for one game after The Queen died.
    Some people need to get a grip.
  • Options
    The idiot Debbie Hewitt who is in charge of the FA should resign. Totally embarrassing decision. Out of touch MBA no mark. 
  • Options
    I did what I do on a Saturday when I don't go to a Charlton game and that is to go to the pub and have too many pints. Today should have been an occasion where we were allowed to go to a sporting event and pay our respects to a remarkable person, whether or not you agree with the monarchy or not, and not to have that taken away by a body which is and has been out of touch with those they should be representing for far too long.
  • Options
    So we should crack on as normal?
    Put the football to one side.
    On the day of the funeral hundreds of thousands maybe millions of people will be losing a days money because of the funeral.
    So should we let the Queens funeral pass by so no one loses any money
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2022
    God I hope we don't have a bad snow or rain storm on a Saturday any time this winter...  You're alright Jack (frost)
  • Options
    If the midweeks and next weekend's matches are also cancelled, the fans will commune in garages and start a new wave of punk rock
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    On the day of the funeral hundreds of thousands maybe millions of people will be losing a days money because of the funeral.
    Great point, at the Cambridge match a few weeks ago i couldn't get home as the last train to Basingstoke left waterloo @17.00. Had to spend the night in Woolwich at a cost of £147, wonder if the RMT will refund me that. I could of course driven and saved a bit of that, but spending 5 hours on the M25 in total plus the A2 bit, no thanks.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I think we will be alright on tuesday night,
    From what I understand the coffin will travel from Scotland to London overnight (Tues-Wed) and it's not exactly a London derby or high profile game.

Afcw are confident their game will go ahead as are LO and Gills. Even Mill seem to think there is a chance (Championship on Wed night) I see 7 or 8k Max for us in terms of attendance.
  • Options
    I'd like to thank our Prague correspondent for telling the UK how they should be organising their football. 
  • Options
    It's nice to see the death of the Queen has brought us closer together.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    As always, it’s somewhere in the middle.  I’m not sure how this thread has descended into one upmanship re; principles and standards.  If the Queen’s death brought you to tears and you feel that a prolonged period of mourning and sporting events should be cancelled as a mark of respect then so be it.  If she was someone that you had a respect for, but don’t feel the need for football to be stopped, equally acceptable.  

I’m in the latter camp.  I can see how much she means to people.  The response on here has been quite emphatic in that respect.  But to some people, this won’t mean anything.  How you can state that one view over the other is better is beyond me.