Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Oxford United | Saturday 1st October 2022 - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic vs Oxford United
Saturday 1st October 2022 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Robert Madley

Introduction
Charlton return to the Valley this Saturday in desperate need of a win - Form has nose dived in recent weeks, and whilst we've only suffered three defeats this season, the inability to turn draws into victories is what'll see this season petter out into a year of nothingness once again - Oxford United equally appear to be struggling in the early stages are the visitors this weekend.

The Opposition
Name: Oxford United (19th) | Manager: Karl Robinson
Ground: Kassam Stadium
Previous Result: Oxford United 1-2 Milton Keynes

Its not unusual for Oxford to make a slow start to their League One campaigns and then get better as the year progresses - Two years ago saw Karl Robinson's side in a potential relegation battle for the season, when they found themselves sitting in the 21st as late as the 5th December (albeit that campaign didnt start until September) - Its not how you start though, its how you finish, and if you have the players with the right mindset, anything is possible... Of course that particular season saw Oxford pipping the Addicks to the final spot of the Play-Offs on Goal Difference, before losing in the Semi-Finals.

Oxford of course as well have become a bogey team for the Addicks, achieving the double over us last term was nothing special however their last trip to the Valley resulted in 0-4 victory which in all honesty should have, and could have been a lot worse for the hosts - The Addicks last win against this side coming (again) two years ago; Conor Washington and Andrew Shinnie with goals before half-time to end the contest early... This is a fixture that has seen the likes of debuts from Diego Poyet, and penalty heartache for Ronnie Schwartz... strap yourself in, its gonna be one hell of a ride!! - Maybe...

Charlton Team News
The trip to Barnsley didnt just see Mandela Egbo earning his first start of the season, yet it also saw the return of fellow Full-Back: Steven Sessegnon - Despite having been absent since before the Plymouth game, you could argue that some of our defensive fragilities have been as a result of that left hand side; Sessegnon may not be left-footed but we looked more assured than what we have done, so hopefully we'll see the Fulham loanee returning to the line up this Saturday.

Elsewhere and goals clearly remain an issue - No doubt deckchairs will be once again re-arranged in an attempt to solve the issue.

Wollacott
Clare - Inniss - O'Connell
Egbo - Morgan - Dobson - Sessegnon
Fraser
Stockley - Rak-Sakyi

Substitutes Bench: MacGillivray - Lavelle - Clayden - Payne - Kirk - Leaburn - Blackett-Taylor

Prediction
This isn't exactly going to be some mind blowing Mystic Meg style prediction here... Fully expecting the players to once again provide a frustrating afternoon for the Addicks faithful as they continue to show their lack of composure in front of goal - Defensively we could be more sound, but the left hand side is still an issue amongst the team.

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Don't see us winning, don't see us losing 1-1, thanks for the write up. 
  • Options
    2-1 to Oxford.
  • Options
    I remember this game last season sadly.
  • Options
    great preview as ever FA .. two so far under performing clubs but at least Oxford have won a couple recently. They are a point behind us having played a game less. Like us they have trouble scoring but have a slightly better defence

Big sigh .. I can see another draw coming over the horizon irrespective of what team Garner conjures up this week .. whatever that team is, Payne should be starting

CAFC 1 v Oxford United 1
  • Options
    COYR
  • Options
    Over for the next few games assuming the MIckey Mouse Booking system issues my tickets....they've taken payment.....progress the Saangard way.....of course, he knows best.....whats that old saying? If it aint broken, then dont fix it.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Another loss.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    First time im not confident of a decent display. I think the football is better but the playing staff cant seem to get a full grasp on it. 

Need a win though so hopefully can dig something out but gotta feeling we will limp along to a draw.

1-1  Egbo
  • Options
    A team with Egbo, Sess, Rak Saki, Dobbo and Fraser will always have a chance of a result in L1.

Is T Thomas about for CB?  Need some pace there.

They have had a poor start.  We are due a result.  3-1 Charlton.  Good vibes back.  Continually boring apathy vibes melt away for a week.  Aneke on the bench.
  • Options
    Is the rock star in attendance for the game?  If so, I expect he’ll have a bumpy ride from some sections of the crowd were we to go behind.  

0-2 Oxford, the problems continue and pressure mounts on TS 
  • Options
    Something has gotta come good soon, and now is that time, reckon we will stuff this lot with a good old fashioned thumping 4-0…
    Someone wake me up at full time 😉😴
  • Options
    Hopefully the bad run ends,2-1 ,coyr.
  • Options
    Hoping to see Payne, Kirk and Leaburn all starting and Morgan, CBT and Stockley dropped to the bench. 

Predicting Garner to not do that and then moan about our final ball/end product after selecting 3 players that have shown time and time again they have none. Oxford are a bit of a bogey team for us with Robinson as manager so I’m predicting a 2-1 defeat 
  • Options
    A bit of a shake up for me with Garner going to Sandgaard and getting JFC included in the league games, persoanlly, think he´d make a big difference to the 433 as with hit and miss Morgan and Mcmaybegood still well short of fitness (and tbh, looking like a strong breeze would knock him over) think we're crying out for the well rounded midfield ability of JFC. 

Wollacott
         Egbo O'Connell Thomas Sessegnon
                    JFC  Dobson  Payne
                      JRS Leaburn Kirk 

Think we'll win but a "paper over the cracks" performance.

1-0

• Options
    Against all evidence, I’m expecting some improvement. 2-1
  • Options
    A bit of a shake up for me with Garner going to Sandgaard and getting JFC included in the league games, persoanlly, think he´d make a big difference to the 433 as with hit and miss Morgan and Mcmaybegood still well short of fitness (and tbh, looking like a strong breeze would knock him over) think we're crying out for the well rounded midfield ability of JFC. 

Wollacott
         Egbo O'Connell Thomas Sessegnon
                    JFC  Dobson  Payne
                      JRS Leaburn Kirk 

Think we'll win but a "paper over the cracks" performance.

1-0

That would be my team but Inniss instead of Thomas. Would have Fraser instead of JFC as well but would love to see JFC involved at least from the bench. Really don’t see Terrell Thomas being the answer. Probably isn’t match fit and no good club at this level wanted to sign him so he probably isn’t that good
  • Options
    I have literally no idea of the outcome of this one, could be 4-0 to 0-4 with all options in between.

Just feel the law of average says that something must fall for Stockley sooner or later, so I fancy he will score.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hoping as always for improvement not expecting it. Can see us conceding early and could then become difficult afternoon. Rarely do I predict a defeat but sadly head is ruling heart now. 0-1.
  • Options
    could win 3-0, could lose 3-0, got no idea but looking forward to it - probably be wondering why after half hour but there you go - the ever replenishing optimism of a football fan when all the logic suggests it will probably be another dismal and depressing afternoon  
  • Options
    I left on 62 mins last season v Oxford (earliest ever).
    Hoping tomorrow I'll be celebrating at the end.
    Quite honestly nothing would surprise me tomorrow.
    (Apart from Aneke being on the bench).
  • Options
    First time back to the Valley Since the Middlesborough game 30 months ago..... due to the pandemic,opthalmic shingles, and a new knee cap 12 weeks ago. My son went to the last midweek game and was shocked by the price of a walk up ticket, over £30. He was shall I say not impressed either by the price or the performance. Hopefully its a decent game with a good performance, but as long as the lads put a shift in It will be good to see some faces and the Valley. Been too long!

• Options
    Not expecting anything. Felt all the hope leave me at the FGR game. Sad times.
  • Options
    Although it is getting beaten out of me game, by game, I still think there is something about this current team and set up that may click. For me (and I am sure there are many reasons for it) under Adkins, Bowyer and Jackson when we hit our bad/rough patches I just couldn't see how that was going to change.

This is not to dress up the issues, because there is plenty of them, but on the whole the way we move the ball and the positions we look to get players in makes me feel like there is enough there that things *may* improve. 

But that being said I am very very fearful. 
  • Options
    Heart says win, but head says another draw. I think head will win the day! 1-1 draw.
  • Options
    It’s unlikely but I’d say 2 wins will get our season back on track