Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match (+post p15) Thread: Colchester Utd v Charlton | Papa Johns | Tue 4th Oct 2022 7:45pm

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Dear God I can't believe what I've just seen. In control the first half, 2nd half not good but under no real pressure, Payne penalty saved, missed the follow up and we concede 2 goals in last 6 minutes or so...this team can't kill a team off...and as usual we bloody concede. So glad that for some reason the live stream was free, I would've been so pissed off if I'd paid a tenner for that!
    The live stream was free……how come?
    Cost me a tenner an hour or so before kick off! 🤔🤔🤔
  • Options
    I thought the assistant manager, Marshall, calls the shots in these games? As a development opportunity?
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    And this was a team including Payne, Morgan, McGrandles, CBT, Mansfield and JFC.  The options people talk about when they try to say ‘we should try this’

The talent just isn’t there.  It doesn’t matter if it’s Leaburn, Kirk, Stockley, Aneke, whoever.  We’ve assembled a very poor squad, all over.  
    This…or a manager who doesn’t know how to play a team to the best of its strengths,(there is some strength there,surely) ok yes it’s been done to death about not been given the tools etc etc but come on,surely he must be able to find a fuckin plan b or c to take that into account,thats what a manager is for aint it too adapt…losing patience with it all the shit is rolling from the top downwards…can we climb back up out of it…Fuck knows…
  • Options
    When we signed Payne, all I remember was his ‘goals reel’ being full of penalties he scored for Swindon … 
  • Options
    I know it’s a Micky mouse competition, but to me it does emphasis that Garner is totally out of his depth.
  • Options
    We now have a way of playing and it’s good to see its being produced by the club from top to bottom , never score more than one and always let in a goal … consistent as well .
    With 5000 passes from defence to midfield in between….
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I see Twitter folks are suggesting Garner should be fired. This is our ressies in the Pizza Cup! Shows how mad we've been driven 
    I don't think he should get the sack but it's weird how he seems to be completely immune to criticism from a big chunk of the fanbase 
  • Options
    I know he's trying to keep morale up etc, but to me Marshall sounds a bit complacent in this interview. I don't recall us dominating the first 60 minutes and creating loads of good chances, and the 15 passes before the goal weren't what created the goal, it was a bit of individual excellence by Morgan.

• Options
    I forgot this was on, and then when I checked just before half time we were 1 up. Checked the stream and it was free. So off I go, and from that moment on we were bang average. So sorry everyone, it was my fault.

On the bright side we're still in it, so not everything is bad. There is still a chance of glory.  😁
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    I see Twitter folks are suggesting Garner should be fired. This is our ressies in the Pizza Cup! Shows how mad we've been driven 
    Garners tactical changes weren't very clever tonight. 

He takes Clare off at ht. Why not move Chin to his right side and bring on clayden? Instead he brings on lavelle and moves Ness to right back.

One thing is for sure. Ness is not a right back.

If he'd made the obvious change he could have then brought lavelle on later on and replaced a clearly tiring Thomas.

He's not covering himself in glory at the moment that's for sure.

More square pegs in round holes.

I've been saying it for some time now - coaching badges aren't worth a light.
  • Options
    We completely dominated the game for 70 odd minutes, to dictate the tempo control possession create more chances need to be more clinical. 

Ultimately turning point was missed pen but also the fact that Colchester changed tactics with the Akinde sub direct counter caused all sorts of problems basically bullied us knowing they had the physical edge.  

The performance was alright, Just some very questionable decisions in game management towards end of the game. Defending on that corner was criminal. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    And I've just realised Colchester are 22nd in League 2 and have only won one game all season in the league.

Lord how bad must we be.
    It wasn’t even their first choice team. 
    Or ours
  • Options
    I know he's trying to keep morale up etc, but to me Marshall sounds a bit complacent in this interview. I don't recall us dominating the first 60 minutes and creating loads of good chances, and the 15 passes before the goal weren't what created the goal, it was a bit of individual excellence by Morgan.

My key takeaway, LOTS.OF.POSITIVES

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Leuth said:
    I don't think he should get the sack but it's weird how he seems to be completely immune to criticism from a big chunk of the fanbase 
    They realise Sandgaard is pretty indefensible these days so the white Knight yearning needs to switch focus and Garner fits the bill nicely.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Dear God I can't believe what I've just seen. In control the first half, 2nd half not good but under no real pressure, Payne penalty saved, missed the follow up and we concede 2 goals in last 6 minutes or so...this team can't kill a team off...and as usual we bloody concede. So glad that for some reason the live stream was free, I would've been so pissed off if I'd paid a tenner for that!
    The live stream was free……how come?
    Cost me a tenner an hour or so before kick off! 🤔🤔🤔
    I don't know how it happened @SoundAsa£, I logged on to listen to Terry's commentary on my phone about 5 mins after the game started and the match was on the screen! So I sat and watched it on my phone.
  • Options
    clive said:
    HEAD-TO-HEAD

Charlton and Colchester have squared off on 38 previous occasions with the Addicks winning seven, the U’s seven and the remaining four encounters resulting in draws.

What happened in the other 20 fixtures were they abandoned.  

Edited now!

Quite shocking really considering the relative sizes of the clubs, that we have an equal number of wins in the fixture. You'd expect us to be well ahead
    For that sort of comparison, I give you our results v The Scum.
  • Options
    never have I been less interested in a Charlton game
    And yet you’re on the match thread;)
    Unless there's a "not the match thread" thread, where else is he going to tell you he's not interested?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Make Akinde look like Drogba for that final goal.

Our senior CBs all look a bloody clone of one another this season. 
  • Options
    RoanRedNY said:
    Ignoring the match for a moment, which is a bit dull, I have extracted minutes of great entertainment out of the fact that Coxe is up against Dick Chinn, and I am just hoping he doesn’t choke.
    #EasilyAmused
  • Options
    Watched the first half proper, missed the last 15 or so of the second. 

Sure it was a young team but then, Clare, CBT, Payne, Mcgrandles are supposed to be first team proper with plenty of people getting all excited over Payne and Mcgrandles when they came in, Morgan and Lavelle have made plenty of first team appearances already this season (and last!) Soto call it an out and out reserve side is pushing it a little IMO. 
    Even so, if that is our bunch of back ups and hopefuls I'd expect them to do away with a bottom of league two teams second string..

"players weren't motivated" "only the pizza cup" "management would have told them to take it easy" etc etc. I don't buy any excuse like that, if anything, that's fing worse. We're crying out for a win, anywhere and anyhow and a shite league two team should have been the perfect opportunity to get some belief and confidence back. 

Anyway....

First half good performance, bit not a lot of end product, nice passing and some lovely movement for the goal.
    Morgan, won't be calling for him to go straight back in the league side yet as it's just as likely to be Albie Morgan false dawn no. 72.
    Payne, isn't living up to the hype much and wondering if we really were competing with Derby for him.
    Thomas looked good until the end when he tired. I'd have in the side next to O'Connell as he at least has a bit of a left foot.
    Mcgrandles, was playing apparently.

JFC. Seriously. Just except you messed up and let us play him in the league, with Morgan's inconsistencies and Mcgrandles being anonymous we really need his all round play alongside Dobson and Fraser. I mean, not playing him doesn't just make for non footballing sense but business sense as well.. kept him on to sell him but couldn't,now won't play him because wages, but who in their right mind is going to put a bid in for him when he's played about 7 cup games all season.... At least get him in the shop window some more (and improve out midfield at the same time)

All in all, missed opportunity to get a much needed win. Silly.

• Options
    If you haven't got 8 minutes 19 seconds to spare for Scott Marshall's interview I've listed some of his points below.  

Young team
    Better for the experience in long run
    Difficult
    All hurting
    Pick up pieces
    Lots of positives
    Minutes under belt
    Should have been out of sight
    Great goal
    Good build up
    Should have had 2 or 3 more
    Keeper made good saves
    Wrong side of post
    making sure we do the right things
    (They had) big physicality coming on
    Came unstuck
    It's a team game
    Tired legs
    Young heads
    Went wrong
    Dust ourselves down
    Sucker punch
    Take their chances when they're there.  (note use of their, they're, there - could this be the subliminal message?)
    Colchester have got a new manager
    They're desperate to go on a run

... So are we mate.

No need to thank me, you're welcome. 

Football clichemongous 👍
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    If you haven't got 8 minutes 19 seconds to spare for Scott Marshall's interview I've listed some of his points below.  

Young team
    Better for the experience in long run
    Difficult
    All hurting
    Pick up pieces
    Lots of positives
    Minutes under belt
    Should have been out of sight
    Great goal
    Good build up
    Should have had 2 or 3 more
    Keeper made good saves
    Wrong side of post
    making sure we do the right things
    (They had) big physicality coming on
    Came unstuck
    It's a team game
    Tired legs
    Young heads
    Went wrong
    Dust ourselves down
    Sucker punch
    Take their chances when they're there.  (note use of their, they're, there - could this be the subliminal message?)
    Colchester have got a new manager
    They're desperate to go on a run

... So are we mate.

No need to thank me, you're welcome. 

As I moved through that I found myself saying it to the tune of Billy Joel’s ‘We didn’t start the fire’
    With a video of the last 15 years of charlton moments playing in the background 
  • Options
    A game we dominated and somehow contrived to lose. Against a team that has won a single match all season. They didn't even bother to press very hard when we made the usual thirty passes in our own half without going anywhere, they knew there was little danger.

Everything is so bloody slow and predictable. I am stupidly annoyed about last night, I know it is a nothing game, but week in week out we are subjected to this dull, uninspiring drivel.      
    I was watching the European stuff last night and just turned over - bored - I’m afraid this new breed of coach is killing the spectacle and garner is right up there in it - predictable, formatted shit