Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match (+post p15) Thread: Colchester Utd v Charlton | Papa Johns | Tue 4th Oct 2022 7:45pm

Comments

• Options
    cabbles said:
    Croydon said:
    Leuth said:
    I see Twitter folks are suggesting Garner should be fired. This is our ressies in the Pizza Cup! Shows how mad we've been driven 
    I don't think he should get the sack but it's weird how he seems to be completely immune to criticism from a big chunk of the fanbase 

Let’s see, but I expect if results continue in the same vein it won’t be long before he’s in the firing line 
    Very good, I see what you did there 👏😉
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Croydon said:
    Leuth said:
    I see Twitter folks are suggesting Garner should be fired. This is our ressies in the Pizza Cup! Shows how mad we've been driven 
    I don't think he should get the sack but it's weird how he seems to be completely immune to criticism from a big chunk of the fanbase 
    I think most people still want to give him time given the fact he’s obviously had zero playing budget to work with this summer and it’s relatively early days.  He also comes across as intelligent in his interviews and let’s face it, he’s inherited a basket case of a club.  

I do however have my doubts given the size of the task and that there’s not much of a record to go on if you look at his time at Bristol Rovers.  

Little things like the insistence on a possession based game out from the back, his comments about watching every game last season then opting to play Stockley in a three in this possession based style - that’s poor imo.  

Let’s see, but I expect if results continue in the same vein it won’t be long before he’s in the firing line 
    What choice has he got?

If he starts with Leaburn and Stockley they have to play 90 minutes every week.  

It's a symptom not the actual problem.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    HandG said:

Mcgrandles, was playing apparently.

I thought McGrandles looked really tidy, just kept
    posession well, moved the play on and generally did his job…..
    Ive been a harsh critic of his but I agree with the above, thought he looked a lot fitter and kept things moving well.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Garners tactical changes weren't very clever tonight. 

He takes Clare off at ht. Why not move Chin to his right side and bring on clayden? Instead he brings on lavelle and moves Ness to right back.

One thing is for sure. Ness is not a right back.

If he'd made the obvious change he could have then brought lavelle on later on and replaced a clearly tiring Thomas.

He's not covering himself in glory at the moment that's for sure.

More square pegs in round holes.

I've been saying it for some time now - coaching badges aren't worth a light.
    Must have missed that
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If we had won it would have been ‘the perfect tonic’ to give the squad a lift. The tonic is off at the minute and we need that to change bloody quickly. Squad underperforming again. Not saying that are promotion contending, but they are failing to deliver!
  • Options
    HandG said:

Fair.

Just didn't seem to notice him personally, but do think he's still some way off proper match fitness. 
  • Options
    If we had won it would have been ‘the perfect tonic’ to give the squad a lift. The tonic is off at the minute and we need that to change bloody quickly. Squad underperforming again. Not saying that are promotion contending, but they are failing to deliver!
    They play like they have all been on the gin, most of the time.  
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    Croydon said:
    Leuth said:
    I think most people still want to give him time given the fact he’s obviously had zero playing budget to work with this summer and it’s relatively early days.  He also comes across as intelligent in his interviews and let’s face it, he’s inherited a basket case of a club.  

I do however have my doubts given the size of the task and that there’s not much of a record to go on if you look at his time at Bristol Rovers.  

Little things like the insistence on a possession based game out from the back, his comments about watching every game last season then opting to play Stockley in a three in this possession based style - that’s poor imo.  

What choice has he got?

If he starts with Leaburn and Stockley they have to play 90 minutes every week.  

It's a symptom not the actual problem.
    Yeah, and I guess he didn’t know or hoped Aneke may be available.  

I always thought he was adamant this would be his preferred style regardless though.  A bit like Jackson and his fixation on 3-5-2
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    mendonca said:
    Make Akinde look like Drogba for that final goal.

Our senior CBs all look a bloody clone of one another this season. 
    Apart from the last five minutes I thought Thomas looked an upgrade on our other CBs. He’s composed, is two footed, and can pick a pass. He can also play LCB, which is a big bonus. 
    Pearce said he had an excellent game, and didn’t put a foot wrong, but that was before Terrell failed to stop Akinde getting the winner. 
    So either he should have been subbed after 80 mins as he was knackered, or they’ve brought in a very fit player with a massive weakness (lack of pace). 
    Very much hope it’s the former.

And I agree with the comments above, it’s all quite dull and pedestrian. I’d like to see us mixing it up more so we’re less predictable; for example by occasionally launching some long balls into the box and fighting for the second ball. Getting more players into the box is key. 
    Another bugbear is our inability to launch a long throw into the box, an excellent tactic in L1. All of those players should be able to do that, but none of the seem to be able to. It’s a pretty simple technique.

Anyone else notice that CBT didn’t once try his trick of pushing the ball past a defender and skinning him for pace? He should have had a field day against L2 defenders. It’s been one of the only rays of light this season, so it’s worrying that even that is fading. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Form has dropped off a cliff since closing of the transfer window - is it a coincidence ? 
    No coincidence. Players know that the Owner is looking to save money & they are pissed off that they joined a club under false pretences. Realise they are playing in a mid table team (at best) and even the manager said that top 6 would be an over achievement. If the Owner wont support the manager & the manager doesn't think the team is good enough to get promoted then there isn't likely to be any motivation to do well is there. 

It all starts at the top. 
    Is that an accurate reflection of what motivates footballers? Are you really saying that they can’t be bothered to play if they don’t think that promotion is on the cards? That they have no pride in their own performances?
    Surely they want to progress their careers, and they won’t do that by playing in an underperforming Charlton team that doesn’t put in a shift. Scouts will be watching our matches, and the players will presumably all want to catch their eye, as the way the club is at the moment some, at least, won’t want to hang around with us any longer than they have to. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I thought Garner said he takes the cup games seriously & wants to win every one.

Seeing as we have Stevenage in the next round of the League Cup and they just won their 11th home game in a row I think that cup run will be ending soon too.  
    Mad to think people were happy to not get a big side. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    mendonca said:
    Make Akinde look like Drogba for that final goal.

Our senior CBs all look a bloody clone of one another this season. 
    Apart from the last five minutes I thought Thomas looked an upgrade on our other CBs. He’s composed, is two footed, and can pick a pass. He can also play LCB, which is a big bonus. 
    Pearce said he had an excellent game, and didn’t put a foot wrong, but that was before Terrell failed to stop Akinde getting the winner. 
    So either he should have been subbed after 80 mins as he was knackered, or they’ve brought in a very fit player with a massive weakness (lack of pace). 
    Very much hope it’s the former.

And I agree with the comments above, it’s all quite dull and pedestrian. I’d like to see us mixing it up more so we’re less predictable; for example by occasionally launching some long balls into the box and fighting for the second ball. Getting more players into the box is key. 
    Another bugbear is our inability to launch a long throw into the box, an excellent tactic in L1. All of those players should be able to do that, but none of the seem to be able to. It’s a pretty simple technique.
    Ah - the throw in. Not just long throws, but any throw. For as long as I can remember, no matter who has been managing the team, throw ins have been a mess. 75% of players just stand there, what movement there is, is predictable. Quick throws seem to be an anathema, there can be other players in great positions as the closest player to the ball picks it up. Then he just drops it for the designated taker to pick up, while the opposition mark everyone else. Frustrating.        
  • Options
    HandG said:

Fair.

Just didn't seem to notice him personally, but do think he's still some way off proper match fitness. 
    Also there's more to being a CM than just knocking the ball about with 10 yard passes. Tackling, forward passing, pressing etc

Our problem is that none of our midfield can do this consistently. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Form has dropped off a cliff since closing of the transfer window - is it a coincidence ? 
    No coincidence. Players know that the Owner is looking to save money & they are pissed off that they joined a club under false pretences. Realise they are playing in a mid table team (at best) and even the manager said that top 6 would be an over achievement. If the Owner wont support the manager & the manager doesn't think the team is good enough to get promoted then there isn't likely to be any motivation to do well is there. 

It all starts at the top. 
    Is that an accurate reflection of what motivates footballers? Are you really saying that they can’t be bothered to play if they don’t think that promotion is on the cards? That they have no pride in their own performances?
    Surely they want to progress their careers, and they won’t do that by playing in an underperforming Charlton team that doesn’t put in a shift. Scouts will be watching our matches, and the players will presumably all want to catch their eye, as the way the club is at the moment some, at least, won’t want to hang around with us any longer than they have to. 
    Good points, but that would require a level of drive and determination that seems woefully lacking in the squad at the moment
  • Options
    The term shit is thrown about willy nllly but I feel sums up quite succinctly the state of our club, both on and off the pitch.

Shit

• Options
    Isn't this the group stage though, where the first 2 teams go through once they have all played? I know we lost, but we are still second. Next up is Brighton, let's hope the next run out is more positive than this one.
  • Options
    Just watched the highlights and the only thing of note was that Morgan's goal celebration was so muted and miserable he looks like he's scored an own goal.
  • Options
    HandG said:

Fair.

Just didn't seem to notice him personally, but do think he's still some way off proper match fitness.  being anything like good enough

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    HandG said:

Fair.

Also there's more to being a CM than just knocking the ball about with 10 yard passes. Tackling, forward passing, pressing etc

Our problem is that none of our midfield can do this consistently. 
    It's the problem with our whole team.  None, absolutely none, of them are good or even half decent at everything you need a player in that position to be good at.

I accept that is league 1 players that is often the case, else they wouldn't be league 1 players but that's why it's so important to get the right players in.  Not necessarily better, but better fits.

This is a collection of half decent, at worst, players that you can't perm a half decent team from.  No matter which way you shake it up.

Adkins said that last summer, it's still true.