Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match (+post p15) Thread: Colchester Utd v Charlton | Papa Johns | Tue 4th Oct 2022 7:45pm

Comments

• Options
    I got bored and turned the stream off at half time, you can’t get too upset by what is effectively a mid-season friendly but it does highlight just how useless we are
  • Options
    Dear God I can't believe what I've just seen. In control the first half, 2nd half not good but under no real pressure, Payne penalty saved, missed the follow up and we concede 2 goals in last 6 minutes or so...this team can't kill a team off...and as usual we bloody concede. So glad that for some reason the live stream was free, I would've been so pissed off if I'd paid a tenner for that!
  • Options
    I blame Southbank for this. He started this thread. 
  • Options
    We are such a soft touch. No leaders or hard men in the team. We'd struggle in div 2 with these wasters and that's where we are heading in the next couple of years.
    Could have done with Pearce on the pitch.

I half joked that he would have enjoyed the battle with Akinde, but we really needed a Pearce or Pratley out there to gee things up 
  • Options
    We couldn't win a raffle, could we?
  • Options
    I know this is a pretty meaningless game in a meaningless cup but blooming heck, that second half display was appalling.

To be comprehensively outplayed for large periods of the second half is a joke.

We may all moan about Stockley but tonight we saw that if he and Leaburn get injured we are absolutely and utterly f****d. 

McGrandles and Payne are absolutely useless. 

And can someone tell Garner that Ness is not a full back.

This is the first time I've thought this but Garner must be on borrowed time now if that is the best he can get out of this team. 

We are in the biggest hole I can remember in watching for over 50 years.
  • Options
    Struggling to see any positives at all tonight against a lower league team who are near the bottom of L2. Defeats will become habitual. Don't care about this cup but just want to see some decent performances or at least some effort and desire. Bleak outlook.
  • Options
    They ran out of steam, a worry that when Colchester still had a lot of running in their legs.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    aliwibble said:
    FT Colchester Utd 2 - Charlton 1.
    We'll carry on the postmatch from here.
    Do us all a favour, close and delete the thread and let us pretend none of this happened.
    Nah, this way it help keeps the wrist-slashing in one place, and we can use it as a communal therapy session for the poor sods that actually went to the game when they get back later.
  • Options
    I think we would have been better bringing Jonny Williams back instead of Payne. Felt sorry for Thomas had good game until then think it might have been his fitness levels at end though looked do one trying to chase the big fella. 
    so the 433 possession football wins again total control of the game but boring as shit creating little. and we still lost. 
    442 please until you get players that can play the system. 
    Leaburn and Stockley up front and put foster caskey in the team for a bloody league game. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Looked tired with 15 to go. And from that time on Colchester looked physically much stronger. 
    But ultimately we didn’t look good enough. So many passes went slightly astray. So many tackles weren’t won. It all looked laborious. 
    The one positive was Thomas who looks like a proper player. BUT, is the reason he’s never made the fact that he’s slow? Or was he just knackered at the end, not having played 90 minutes for a very long time? He’s two footed though, so is worth trying at LCB surely?
    I’m losing faith in Payne who’s energetic, but easily knocked off the ball, and isn’t clinical enough with his passing. 
    Ness was also a bit disappointing, when moved to right back, at least. 
    JFC and Morgan were both quite good in spells, but always seem to be playing above themselves somehow.
    McGrangles doesn’t grab the game by the scruff of the neck like Dobson can on occasions.
    CBT didn’t really grab his opportunity, unfortunately.  
    Jaiyesimi looked promising before getting injured, and we looked worse when he went off. 
    We could have done with Henry today, perhaps. 
    But again, a sign of our decline that we couldn’t finish off a struggling League Two team, which we should have done, even with our B team. 
    The doldrums continue. 
  • Options
    I think we would have been better bringing Jonny Williams back instead of Payne. Felt sorry for Thomas had good game until then think it might have been his fitness levels at end though looked do one trying to chase the big fella. 
    so the 433 possession football wins again total control of the game but boring as shit creating little. and we still lost. 
    442 please until you get players that can play the system. 
    Leaburn and Stockley up front and put foster caskey in the team for a bloody league game. 

Think Payne is a better player coming off the bench for the last 20 mins . 
  • Options
    We couldn't win a raffle, could we?
    Could Thomas afford a ticket. 
  • Options
    And I've just realised Colchester are 22nd in League 2 and have only won one game all season in the league.

Lord how bad must we be.
    And it was not their first team.
  • Options
    Colchester 23rd in div 2. Says it all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought we looked alright in the first half, albeit not taking chances as ever. That penalty miss was like a bad omen. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but we might win more games if we had a proper striker.
  • Options
    I did suggest that our formation was 460, as in reality for much of the time that's what it was, rather than 433. Yes we had runners from midfield, but not on a consistent basis, and of the so called front 3 CBT was anonymous AND lethargic, DJ went off injured, while Payne did little to suggest he should be starting in the league.

Morgan and JFC played well, and I'm sure would have been even better if they had proper strikers or at least movement ahead of them.

A real shame for Thomas that, as he played well but ran out of legs at the end, the lack of match fitness telling. Chin had a decent game. Anderson was lively off the bench.
  • Options
    I've watched every game this season apart from Saturday and tonight, but I just stopped bothering. Saturday I fixed my car and tonight I had a bath, both seemed to be more exciting. 

I have continued to check the thread as I still feel a connection with you guys on CL. As for the team it's just a bit meh. 
  • Options
    Totally in control, then suddenly, totally out of control. 

How the feck did that happen ? 

Oh, yes. Pen won by our "captain" who, of course , stepped up for his reward/name on the scoresheet. Said straightaway that he was going to miss...and think I heard that echoed all around the South East. 

If I never see JP in a red shirt again, it'll be too soon. Runs around like he's working his socks off but achieves virtually nothing. Oh, and he has the captain's arm band ! 

Terrell ran out of steam which was always going to happen with no 90 mins in his legs but BG kept him on ....

The positives ( yes, there were a few ) for me were young Chin, Albie ( yes !) and JFC..the latter with several sublime long passes. 

But, sadly, the negatives won the day. 

And so it continues.....
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    I can't believe Thomas got done by a 33 stone Akinde, for pace.

What do you seriously expect of our 64 year old owner , he should have picked his son instead 
  • Options
    Saw this comment from Jac_52 on the scores thread

Ness: 6 - 7 for the first half 5 for the second. He has shown he isn't a right back but is a very promising centre back. Would have been better to bring on Clayden and switch chin to the right instead of moving him out there for lavelle

Which was a good point, as it was an obvious opportunity to move Chin onto his correct side, and have a left footer on the left. Chin was good, but did cut inside a lot
    And then bring Lavelle on for Thomas sometime in the second half before he ran out of legs.