Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Portsmouth | Monday 17th October 2022 - 8pm KO | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic vs Portsmouth
Monday 17th October 2022 - 8pm Kick-Off
Referee: Dean Whitestone

Introduction
Time to throw out the red carpet, the SKY cameras have decided to pop down to our corner of South East London - It'll be a whirlwind of an hour Addicks fans, what with finding out our FA Cup opponents shortly before kick-off - Yet this Monday the focus will be firmly on the League with Portsmouth the visitors this time around. Given our impressive run against South Coast sides, this could be our last opportunity to win a game at the Valley this season!!

The Opposition
Name: Portsmouth (5th) | Manager: Danny Cowley
Ground: Fratton Park
Previous Result: Portsmouth 1-1 Fleetwood Town

As one of the oldest ties that Charlton fans have witnessed, its ironic that in recent years, the meetings between these two have been more favourable for the side in red - Various Pompey Managers have tried, and like a Charlton side facing Millwall, have mostly failed in spectacular fashion - Thankfully our opposing fans haven't had to wait quite as long for a win against us, the last coming in February 2021 with the visitors running out 3-1 winners.

This term and Pompey once again look set to be Play-Off challengers - A number of players were moved on or released in the summer, meaning there was another rebuild on the South Coast... Ex-Addicks; Michael Morrison in defence, and Joe Pigott in attack will be looking to end our hopes of back to back wins - However the Portsmouth machine has once again stalled in recent weeks, there has been just the two points won in the last three games, albeit two of those games came against Plymouth and Ipswich... The latter consigning our opponents to a first defeat of the season, perhaps we can hand them another and so start our own charge.

Charlton Team News
It was a bit of a fairy-tale seeing Chuks Aneke back on the bench for Tuesday night, so it was perhaps written in the script that he'd come on, and within minutes help secure the all three important points for us - Many Charlton fans will be aware of his fragilities, and will be reluctant to see him starting too many matches - However 4-4-2 is a formation that has suited us in recent weeks, and with Miles Leaburn now potentially carrying a knock (ankle?), we'll surely either see a change back to 4-3-3, or we'll see Aneke risked from the start.

Elsewhere, and once again none of our wingers have really cemented one of the wide roles in the side - All seem to show why they're playing at this particular level, with Charlie Kirk once again unable to capitalise on a starting role - Corey Blackett-Taylor on the other hand took his opportunity on Tuesday with an assist, so will surely come back into the side in his stead.

Wollacott
Egbo - Inniss - O'Connell - Sessegnon
Kirk - Dobson - Fraser - Blackett-Taylor
Stockley - Rak-Sakyi

Substitutes Bench: MacGillivray - Clare - Thomas - Payne - Morgan - McGrandles - Aneke

Comments

• Options
    Unless DJ plays next to Stockley I just can’t see us going 4-4-2 (to start) if Miles is injured - but I can’t hazard a guess how we will line up in his absence either.

Portsmouth like last year look dangerous, and had a really fast start to the season, but it looks like they have stuttered a bit - so feels like a good time for us to play them, with our recent win, and especially with how well we have done under the lights at home this season.

I am going to go for a confident 3 - 1. 

• Options
    Wouldn't surprise me to see Morgan played in the hole if Leaburn is out. 

TV cameras plus home game equals defeat sadly....
  • Options
    'Given our impressive run against South Coast sides'

Who, other than Plymouth? 🙄

Portsmouth - I saw us draw with them at home last season. Did we win away?
    Bournemouth, Southampton, Brighton - we haven't played for ages.
    Eastbourne Borough and Dover- have we ever played them?

Our other two wins this season were not against south coast teams.
  • Options
    A must win.
  • Options
    0-6
  • Options
    'Given our impressive run against South Coast sides'

Who, other than Plymouth? 🙄

Portsmouth - I saw us draw with them at home last season. Did we win away?
    Bournemouth, Southampton, Brighton - we haven't played for ages.
    Eastbourne Borough and Dover- have we ever played them?

Our other two wins this season were not against south coast teams.
    We beat them away last season.

Just googled and our previous 19 fixtures have been:
    Charlton won 12
    Drawn 2
    Portsmouth won 5

It’s a pretty good record against them. And of course, we beat them 1-0 in one our most famous victories and important matches of our history.

We don’t have much to cling onto as a club with successes against others, let’s at least acknowledge we usually do well against Pompey.
  • Options
    Dean Whitestone is injured so will not referee the game unfortunately it has been given to John Busby who was the referee a few weeks ago against Forest Green. Thought he was shocking that night and didn't let the game flow at all
  • Options
    “We always win at Fratton…”

Oh this one is at home!

Forget the above. 1-1 draw.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Have Sky Sports for first time ever, so might duck this one. 
    Pray we can keep the momentum going (although one win perhaps doesn’t qualify as momentum?). Just having Chuks on the bench gives us a big lift. And CBT’s cameo perhaps shows that he hasn’t thrown in the towel as one or two were suggesting.
    Won’t predict a result until we know if Miles is available. His rate of improvement is remarkable. 

Oh. Not available. That’s a real shame. 
  • Options
    I think it would’ve been a tough game even if Leaburn were fit.  I think it would be a big risk to start Aneke, so looks like we’ll have to go back to 4-3-3 and that’s been very hard to watch this season. 

I think a draw would be a decent result given the circumstances.

After seeing Payne and CBT come off the bench on Tues, I think they’re both players that are better making an impact coming on, so I wouldn’t start either.  Probably have to go back to 

Wollacott

Egbo Inniss O’Connell Sessegnon 

Morgan Dobson Fraser

JRS Stockley Kirk 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One win for us in our last 5 home league games against Portsmouth 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    One win in 6 come final whistle…🥺😫
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Yes, we have a better record at Fratton Park.  At home, not so good 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Not sure if this has been mentioned.
    Amazingly, should we win, we will move up to tenth and only two points off a playoff spot…..doesn’t seem possible given our current form but there you go, it’s an implausible fact!
    However, given our inexplicably awful record playing in front of live TV cameras, like you dear reader, I ain’t holding my breath. 
  • Options
    Odds have us very slight favourites but with Leaburn out I don't think this makes sense. 
    2.6/3.4/2.7

More tempted by the away odds and hope I lose
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    This piece of info is ‘always’ trotted out when we play Pompey……..usually by myself.
    So here goes with my latest contribution in keeping the tradition alive…..……”they are the team we have played more than any other in our history.”
    I shall of course be posting a similar missive next time we play them.🙄
  • Options
    3-1.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    This piece of info is ‘always’ trotted out when we play Pompey……..usually by myself.
    So here goes with my latest contribution in keeping the tradition alive…..……”they are the team we have played more than any other in our history.”
    I shall of course be posting a similar missive next time we play them.🙄
    Middlesbrough used to be 2nd, not sure if that's still the case.
  • Options
    It is pretty obvious that JRS can't play as a striker. We have to go back to 4-3-3 and change to two up front when the Aneke zone comes into play. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    I think it would’ve been a tough game even if Leaburn were fit.  I think it would be a big risk to start Aneke, so looks like we’ll have to go back to 4-3-3 and that’s been very hard to watch this season. 

I think a draw would be a decent result given the circumstances.

After seeing Payne and CBT come off the bench on Tues, I think they’re both players that are better making an impact coming on, so I wouldn’t start either.  Probably have to go back to 

Wollacott

Egbo Inniss O’Connell Sessegnon 

Morgan Dobson Fraser

JRS Stockley Kirk 
    I agree the back four, but IMO we are going to need hard grafters in midfield.
    I would play Clair instead of Morgan, Dobson, Fraser and CBT.
    Stockley up front and give R-S a free role in and around Stockley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2022
    I'd give Fraser a free role in an around stockley if that is the plan. It probably means Morgan in midfield and we just have to hope it is one of his better games.
  • Options
    Might just nick this, 1-0, Aneke 90 + 7
  • Options
    2-2 we come back from being 2-1 down in the last 10 - you guessed it, Aneke heroics again…Stockley with a pen earlier, Morrison hauls down Rak-Sakyi
  • Options
    Charlton Athletic vs Portsmouth
    Monday 17th October 2022 - 8pm Kick-Off
    Referee: Dean Whitestone

Introduction
    Time to throw out the red carpet, the SKY cameras have decided to pop down to our corner of South East London - It'll be a whirlwind of an hour Addicks fans, what with finding out our FA Cup opponents shortly before kick-off - Yet this Monday the focus will be firmly on the League with Portsmouth the visitors this time around. Given our impressive run against South Coast sides, this could be our last opportunity to win a game at the Valley this season!!

The Opposition
    Name: Portsmouth (5th) | Manager: Danny Cowley
    Ground: Fratton Park
    Previous Result: Portsmouth 1-1 Fleetwood Town

As one of the oldest ties that Charlton fans have witnessed, its ironic that in recent years, the meetings between these two have been more favourable for the side in red - Various Pompey Managers have tried, and like a Charlton side facing Millwall, have mostly failed in spectacular fashion - Thankfully our opposing fans haven't had to wait quite as long for a win against us, the last coming in February 2021 with the visitors running out 3-1 winners.

This term and Pompey once again look set to be Play-Off challengers - A number of players were moved on or released in the summer, meaning there was another rebuild on the South Coast... Ex-Addicks; Michael Morrison in defence, and Joe Pigott in attack will be looking to end our hopes of back to back wins - However the Portsmouth machine has once again stalled in recent weeks, there has been just the two points won in the last three games, albeit two of those games came against Plymouth and Ipswich... The latter consigning our opponents to a first defeat of the season, perhaps we can hand them another and so start our own charge.

Charlton Team News
    It was a bit of a fairy-tale seeing Chuks Aneke back on the bench for Tuesday night, so it was perhaps written in the script that he'd come on, and within minutes help secure the all three important points for us - Many Charlton fans will be aware of his fragilities, and will be reluctant to see him starting too many matches - However 4-4-2 is a formation that has suited us in recent weeks, and with Miles Leaburn now potentially carrying a knock (ankle?), we'll surely either see a change back to 4-3-3, or we'll see Aneke risked from the start.

Elsewhere, and once again none of our wingers have really cemented one of the wide roles in the side - All seem to show why they're playing at this particular level, with Charlie Kirk once again unable to capitalise on a starting role - Corey Blackett-Taylor on the other hand took his opportunity on Tuesday with an assist, so will surely come back into the side in his stead.

Wollacott
    Egbo - Inniss - O'Connell - Sessegnon
    Kirk - Dobson - Fraser - Blackett-Taylor
    Stockley - Rak-Sakyi

Substitutes Bench: MacGillivray - Clare - Thomas - Payne - Morgan - McGrandles - Aneke
    I like that: Stockley/JRS up front - complementary styles, could pay off.
  • Options
    2-2 we come back from being 2-1 down in the last 10 - you guessed it, Aneke heroics again…Stockley with a pen earlier, Morrison hauls down Rak-Sakyi
    Maybe I'm weird but this kind of super-specific prediction annoys me. I suppose if you like annoying me, keep it up
  • Options
    'you guessed it' no, YOU guessed it 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Maybe I'm weird but this kind of super-specific prediction annoys me. I suppose if you like annoying me, keep it up
    No intention to annoy you, Leuth, but if I ever do a footie bet it is more likely to be 2-1 Fraser 1st goal scorer than just 2-1. I never win, so just ignore my super specific bull crap 😉