Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Portsmouth | Monday 17th October 2022 - 8pm KO | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    _MrDick said:
    I’ve been to four games at the Valley thus season. Derby, Plymouth, Cambridge and Exeter. So, I haven’t see us lose. Sadly, work prevents me from attending tomorrow so I’m predicting a lose 😭
    Because we lost every home game you didn’t go to this season ?
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Anyway, the match will finish 4-3 to Portsmouth. After we score in the 5th minute through an angled finish from Scott Fraser through the defender's legs, they will race into a 3-1 lead after 24 minutes, during which time Inniss and Egbo will also receive cautions. An own-goal in the 37th minute will bring it back to 3-2, before a poor miss from JRS in the 44th. Portsmouth will extend their lead with 21 minutes remaining through a free-kick conceded through handball, and an 89th minute strike from, you guessed it, Conor McGrandles, latching onto a loose ball from 17 yards out, will lead to a frantic period of injury time, during which EOC and Dobson will be booked, but no further goals will accrue. We go home somewhat entertained but disappointed, and Fraser wins Player Marks with a total of 7.38
    No way Fraser deserved that. His lack of tracking back will have led to one, and arguably two, of the first three goals, and he will get no credit for the goal because it will get a slight nick, making any chat around goal of the season cause a barney on here. Mainly gets this mark because Ronnie scores him 10. Referee will be a total clown and should be called out on every thread, foul will be given against Stockley every time the ball goes forward, and you missed Aneke's yellow for someone bouncing off him as he stood still. Still, your review left me less glum than any of those I've read after many of the games this year. 
  • Options
    Live on TV...........enough said
  • Options
    Every game is live on tv these days…
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    With the same lineup that beat Exeter I’d fancy us to nick this (not bothered about previous home record against them, nor are the players). 
    Without him I think it swings in Pompey’s favour, but we’ll see. The defence has definitely improved recently. 
    As for the penalty that Aneke ‘gave away’, well, without the previous foul in the build up, there’s no way the ref gives that.
    Will probably watch the match on Sky to save to rail round trip. 
    Huge game. Three points would be massive!
  • Options
    win this and we're two points from the play offs and the good ship HMS piss the league could re start its engines
    lose this and 4 points from relegation 

draw at best more than likely a defeat 
  • Options
    Don't fancy our chances without Leaburn, so I've backed Pompey.
    You can thank me later when celebrating our fantastic win. 
  • Options
    Don't fancy our chances without Leaburn, so I've backed Pompey.
    You can thank me later when celebrating our fantastic win. 
    Draw it is then
  • Options
    You know what I meant, when we are the full-blown TV coverage game live on Sky we never turn up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You know what I meant, when we are the full-blown TV coverage game live on Sky we never turn up.
    TBF, I can’t remember there being too many of our games live on Sky in recent seasons, probably because if it was a home game I’d be there anyway. Pompey away last season and the play off game at Wembley. There must have been more but which other ones have there been ? 
  • Options
    TBF, I can’t remember there being too many of our games live on Sky in recent seasons, probably because if it was a home game I’d be there anyway. Pompey away last season and the play off game at Wembley. There must have been more but which other ones have there been ? 
    Not got a clue and have not got the will to look into it but as a generalisation it is a given just like the sun rising and setting that we do not perform well in front of the Sky cameras for a number of years.
  • Options
    Donny away in 20/21 won 1-0. 19/20 we was on numerous times and I dont think we won any of them, i remmember Sheff Wed, Hull, Millwall and Cardiff at home, Derby, Swansea away. 

Forest away might have been on tv, if so then we at least won that one, but i can't remember if it was or not.
  • Options
    Normally great games against Pompey. Strikers are an issue, reckon a 1-1 draw.
  • Options
    Donny away in 20/21 won 1-0. 19/20 we was on numerous times and I dont think we won any of them, i remmember Sheff Wed, Hull, Millwall and Cardiff at home, Derby, Swansea away. 

Forest away might have been on tv, if so then we at least won that one, but i can't remember if it was or not.
    Forest away wasn’t on to from memory.

was Portsmouth away last season on TV? 
  • Options
    Didn’t we beat Pompey at home in the play off season, 5.30 ko live on Sky ?
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    100% record against teams that begin with P and end in H.
  • Options
    As U-turns are all the rage at the moment, I expect Garner to stick Inniss up front and play long ball  ;)
  • Options
    As U-turns are all the rage at the moment, I expect Garner to stick Inniss up front and play long ball  ;)
    Given the number of U turns we could be back to Stockley.
  • Options
    Kanu starts for the u21's this afternoon but no Campbell. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Going to the match but not confident. Enjoyed the Exeter match but that could have gone either way. Think we'll struggle without Leaburn. I don't see JRS as a striker. 

Someone who reckons he's itk on Twitter (with his 35 followers) says he's heard Aneke starts tonight. Can't see that. Surely too risky. 
  • Options
    For me this is a really important game tonight. 

Crowley has been a bit teapot lately about us but Garner hasn’t responded or Rosen to it.  I like that.  Take the clippings from the papers and show the players.  Get that fire in their bellies ahead of the game and answer in the best way possible!

as for the match we had a decent win last week and this is a chance to add to a bit of momentum.  A good performance, against a good team, could really kickstart our season off and send a little warning out.

an abject performance could lead to ugly scenes

as I say, this is a really important game tonight!  Can’t wait 

• Options
    Hopefully TC getting a match day with the 1st team tonight.
  • Options
    If we play CBT or Payne as a forward, expect to catch a few balls in the North Upper if you happen to sit there.
  • Options
    With Kanu not making it into the squad tonight I'll guess....

The 442, Rak-Sakyi up alongside Stockley, Kirk and CBT on the wings, Tyreece Campbell on the bench. 

A meh, 1-0, which is fine.
  • Options
    With Kanu not making it into the squad tonight I'll guess....

The 442, Rak-Sakyi up alongside Stockley, Kirk and CBT on the wings, Tyreece Campbell on the bench. 

A meh, 1-0, which is fine.
    A win, in these circumstances, would be 'meh' and 'fine'?

Yesterday, one of the best EPL games I've ever seen took place. It finished in a 1-0 home win. Meh
  • Options
    I'd be happy with a meh win. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I can't see us winning this, but these are the types of games where we tend to get results. Looking forward to getting back down to The Valley for the first time since FGR. Hoping for a better game than that one.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    I'd be happy with a meh win. 
    Against a team who've lost once this season THERE IS NO SUCH THING 
  • Options
    the question is how many of us will make it for the game?