Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Portsmouth | Monday 17th October 2022

Comments

• Options
    In the past few games we seem to have ditched 'Garner ball' ticky tacky, with Jojo whacking the ball long. Tonight we were most dangerous on the counter attack or when they gave the ball away. Then when we did pass the ball around we eventually cocked up and gave them a chance. Hmmm. We didn't make the most of our extra player when their guy got sent off, which was disappointing but otherwise a happy night for us addicks!
  • Options
    That was absolutely outstanding. Even if not one of the best, that is one of my favourite Charlton performances in years. The team played for the shirt for 96 minutes and rarely faltered once. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I called Kirk alongside Stockley as soon as the team was announced and I thought he was outstanding. What I like about Charlie is that practically every pass counts. Not only that he nearly always chooses the right pass. The ball for CBT to score was inch perfect, so many of our players pass behind the player or the player has to stop to take a touch. Near the beginning of the second half when the keeper had to make an excellent save from CBT the ball from Kirk was right into CBT's stride and that allowed him to cut inside, advance and shoot. Charlie won't be many fans MOTM but he was mine.

The centre backs are a decent pairing so let's hope they can stay fit. Fraser and Dobson have a great understanding and compliment each other well. Everyone put a shift in but I thought Egbo very poor tonight.

If we can strengthen in January we could make the play offs.
    You were doing so well there but then you had to go and spoil it with your last sentence. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    So this season, we've only won a single game, where we've scored less than 3-goals!!

Fully deserved, was never really worried about Portsmouth, they looked toothless all night... Which is again credit to us because its only the second game that Portsmouth have (1) lost, and (2) failed to score.
    It's not a coincidence.

There were a lot of things that happened in all of those games that don't/can't/won't happen at 0-0 or even 1-0.

If we could play like we do at 2-0 from the start we will win most weeks. 

Another illogical thing that's happened is we have stopped conceding which, as I predicted weeks ago, means we actually score more.
    Makes a big difference scoring first. Apart from the fact we all know what happens when we concede first it helps not having to claw your way back into a game & going ahead puts the opposition on the back foot. No coincidence that it opens the game up & allows us to take advantage of the gaps in the midfield.
  • Options
    https://www.soccerstats.com/homeaway.asp?league=england3

4th in the home table
    23rd in the away table

Pretty obvious we need to start improving our away form 
    Win at Shrewsbury, and I will start thinking that we have a genuine chance of challenging for the playoffs, as we won't go anywhere just relying on our home form. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very impressive from us tonight especially in regards to our work out of possession. Everyone worked hard and we made it very difficult for them to get at us.

The other massive plus point is that we finally looked dangerous from set pieces. Kudos to the coaches for addressing it as you could tell we have clearly put the work in there. Without them that's another 1 goal scored and it makes such a difference to be able to score goals like that. Our goals scored from open play is up there at there with the best in the division so it's vital to our season that we continue to be dangerous from set plays.

Hope we see a repeat performabce over 90 minutes away from home now as a win in our next match will give us great momentum and help keep us close to being in the mix.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Fair play Cowley... Isnt whinging about refereeing decisions
    Yep. The interviewer desperately trying to get him to bite - "was there a foul for the first goal?", "Should you have had a penalty?" - but Cowley was having none of it.

Good to hear that. The answers of course were no and he should have been called offside anyway.

Shout out to Morrison who had an absolute mare tonight. From looking at Portsmouths league position and the fact he seems to be playing every game I was beginning to think we missed a trick not trying to get him but not after tonight. I pray Inniss can stay fit as he is in full on beast mode at the moment and him an O'Connell are starting to look like a very good pairing.
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    It feels like it’s taken this long to gel as a team and now they are performing…
    Which you when you strip it back, it could be understood. Real shame we lost Miles, I still think we miss that touch of tenacity up top but Stockley worked hard last night!
  • Options
    Fair play Cowley... Isnt whinging about refereeing decisions

Doesnt care about the foul on Morrison or "penalty" appeal, just what actually happened
    Well it wasn't a foul (i think Inniss just got up early) and to be fair i'm sure he'd probably care a lot more about the penalty if the guy hadn't been a yard offside in the first place.
    No I agree... It didnt look too dissimilar to the initial header before Bauer's goal at Wembley - I noticed for a corner not long after the goal last night (which swung in from the other side), that Morrison (?) blocked off Inniss and stopped him from jumping.

Is probably what he was trying for the goal, but just failed
  • Options
    I called Kirk alongside Stockley as soon as the team was announced and I thought he was outstanding. What I like about Charlie is that practically every pass counts. Not only that he nearly always chooses the right pass. The ball for CBT to score was inch perfect, so many of our players pass behind the player or the player has to stop to take a touch. Near the beginning of the second half when the keeper had to make an excellent save from CBT the ball from Kirk was right into CBT's stride and that allowed him to cut inside, advance and shoot. Charlie won't be many fans MOTM but he was mine.

The centre backs are a decent pairing so let's hope they can stay fit. Fraser and Dobson have a great understanding and compliment each other well. Everyone put a shift in but I thought Egbo very poor tonight.

If we can strengthen in January we could make the play offs.
    agree with this, decent partnerships all over the pitch tonight - the 2 CB's were very solid, and the 2 in Midfield were outstanding, plenty of comments on Fraser already but I said exactly the same to my mate during the game about how much he was getting stuck in - he's the player now we all hoped he would be.

They couldn't handle our pace out wide and the 2 proper full backs make such a difference.

Really feel for Clare and he's suffering from being a steady 7/10 everywhere he plays - he'll get his chance again no doubt and I really rate him, great player to have to come on.

Stockley also put in a real shift I thought

Our best performance for many weeks, nice to keep a clean sheet as well.

• Options
    Why can’t we play like that every game.
    well done the lads and manager, good football, great game, big win!
    COYRedssssss
  • Options
    Being up to 12.30 on a Monday is definitely taking away the winning high this morning!
  • Options
    We will definitely miss Miles Leaburn over the period he is out But the second goal doesn't happen as Charlie Kirk wouldn't have been central to make the excellent pass for Corey Blackett-Taylor to run on to. Plus either Kirk or CBT would've been on the bench.

Inniss was excellent last night but how do we get more than 15 games a season out of Ryan ?

Scott Fraser's best game at the Valley since he was wearing a MK Dons shirt.

Love George Dobson's action man performance's; Our POTY is back to his best.

Promotion form at home. Relegation form away. Shrewsbury away could be the catalyst for the rest of our season if we can win and momentum can kick us out of the apathy that has enveloped the club.

Players staying fit will be paramount over a long season. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Good game, once we got our first was pretty much all us.

Pompey, didn't think looked to dissimilar to us, liked to play it short out from the back into the middle, around then launch long/ out wide and early cross, difference is they dint have a CBT/ JRS to run it forward or a striker that looked like scoring all night. They most definitely didn't live up to some of the hype.

We were excellent once we got going, set piece goals, counter attacks, direct, patient build up, proper mixed it up. Our short passing has adapted to the two man midfield now which has to be Dobson and Fraser - both quality. Outballs pinged to the left seem to just automatically find blackett-taylor perfect for launching those counters.

Formation wise we've stumbled across something that works and now are playing to suit players rather than forcing them into a popular one that doesn't suit. I'd say it was a bit closer to 4411 than 442, Kirk I've wanted to see given a go in that pocket in the middle and thought he had what must have been his best game for us. 

Keep the team and keep the form going, let's have a 2019 season where the football and playoff chase can keep us distracted from the off field stuff.

Back to back home wins, 7 goals scored, 2 conceded, 6 points.

Lovely.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2022
    That was a very fluid 4-4-2 last night. Burnley had the patent under Sean Dyche when 4-4-2 in possession and 4-4-1-1 out of possession. Stockley put in a massive shift and he spent large parts of that game not as the most advanced forward.

I wanted to see Charlie tried as a number 8 last season in a more central role but he received some of the lowest marks on record when tried for one match in an away fixture.

Playing the number 10 role last night kirk did the great assist for CBT run and goal.

The problem is we can't have a number 9 and 10 not scoring so Jayden and Charlie are going to have to find their scoring boots or in JS's case his scoring head as well !
  • Options
    Well were did those last two home performances come from,one minute I am walking out of the Valley after a crap draw vowing to not bother,then we get games like Exeter and Portsmouth.Last night was excellent,all round effort with no little skill.Solid midfield ,always looked dangerous on the attack,and what is there to say about the defence.Innis looked like a man who is just not going to get beaten,on the floor in the air,he was superb,and my mom.Somehow,we have to keep him fit as the defence as a unit ,now looks very tight.15 points off the top,with 31 games left,who knows,a good run could get us in the mix.(yes I know I can dream,but that was promotion form last night)

• Options
    Well were did those last two home performances come from,one minute I am walking out of the Valley after a crap draw vowing to not bother,then we get games like Exeter and Portsmouth.Last night was excellent,all round effort with no little skill.Solid midfield ,always looked dangerous on the attack,and what is there to say about the defence.Innis looked like a man who is just not going to get beaten,on the floor in the air,he was superb,and my mom.Somehow,we have to keep him fit as the defence as a unit ,now looks very tight.15 points off the top,with 31 games left,who knows,a good run could get us in the mix.(yes I know I can dream,but that was promotion form last night)

I’ve thought Innis has put a few good shifts in of late but has tended to not keep it going for the whole game for one reason or another, possibly because he’s been asked to be the playmaker with that if in doubt pass it back to the last man no-plan B gameplan we’ve had to endure. Last night he was definitely on form, maybe because of the early goal and the buy-in to do more that can come with jt but also because everybody was up for it, pushing the game forward and wanting to win the ball. Often a liability, Innis could be the bedrock for a successful season a la Pearce led if he can keep that performance up.
  • Options
    Great game. Great atmosphere. Maybe Garner is getting it right! We shall see. Certainly more balance with Egbo and Sessignon in the team and Inniss and O’Connell could be developing into a good partnership. I thought Inniss had a very good game last night. At the start of the game I thought we looked light in the middle of the park with just Dobson and Fraser but that got better as the game went on. I thought Fraser had a strong game. Starting to see what he brings. Our wide play flourished last night. Cory and Kirk had good games and Rak-Sakyi was a live-wire all night. 
    Maybe the grass roots of a revival are showing but we shall see. I’m still a bit dubious. And, I thought Woolacott had a solid game. Best one from him for a while.
  • Options
    I think I’m still pissed from Saturday cos I didn’t think Kirk was any good, better than previous nut that’s not much , slide rule pass to CBT apart I thought he did his usual nothingness…