Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Portsmouth | Monday 17th October 2022

Comments

• Options
    ross1 said:
    Is that Egbo’s got the Leko song now?
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    Our 14th game of last season was the 1-0 win up at Sunderland. At the time, that result felt huge.

This one feels even more important when I look at the upcoming fixtures between now and Christmas. We have the perfect chance to really kick on. Get the away form sorted and we’ll be top six sooner rather than later,

Shrews, MK, Ipswich, Burton, Port Vale, Cheltenham, Morecambe, Bristol Rovers between now and 25th Dec. 
    I was thinking something similar , if we get reasonable luck with injuries and a couple of away wins , we could be there or thereabouts when the January window opens. If we can have an half decent window, for me that just means one striker , a fullback and central defender and maybe ship a few out , then there is no reason why we can’t make a serious run to play offs this season( full disclosure I was saying we would be lucky to stay up 2 weeks ago) :)
    Mmmmm…….do we really need another central defender?
    Having another one would be nice I suppose but I wouldn’t say it’s a must have situation.
    The more cash we have for another striker the better, IMHO.
  • Options
    Scott Fraser is the best central midfielder that Charlton have had since Dale Stephens, such a class act.
    Alou Diarra? 
  • Options
    Scott Fraser isn't even the best central midfielder out of the two that played last night (different players admittedly). 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    (I mean, Cullen, but he wasn't technically ours I guess)
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Just thinking about how much Pratley instead of Fraser would have improved us last night
    Pratley & Lapslie pairing
  • Options
    Very good home performance (again). Fitness levels are improving all the time (Kirk and Stockley must have covered a marathon distance during the game) and must be retained if Garner's style of play is to continue. Improving fitness means that the squad looks stronger and there are good options coming off the bench. Could be on a good run leading up to Xmas and beyond.  
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Aribo was, Yani wasn't, less said about Gallagher the better.  

What about Poyet? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:
    Aribo was, Yani wasn't, less said about Gallagher the better.  

What about Poyet? 
    Poyet's second spell has made me completely forget his first one 
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    Our 14th game of last season was the 1-0 win up at Sunderland. At the time, that result felt huge.

This one feels even more important when I look at the upcoming fixtures between now and Christmas. We have the perfect chance to really kick on. Get the away form sorted and we’ll be top six sooner rather than later,

Shrews, MK, Ipswich, Burton, Port Vale, Cheltenham, Morecambe, Bristol Rovers between now and 25th Dec. 
    I was thinking something similar , if we get reasonable luck with injuries and a couple of away wins , we could be there or thereabouts when the January window opens. If we can have an half decent window, for me that just means one striker , a fullback and central defender and maybe ship a few out , then there is no reason why we can’t make a serious run to play offs this season( full disclosure I was saying we would be lucky to stay up 2 weeks ago) :)
    Having another one would be nice I suppose but I wouldn’t say it’s a must have situation.
    I think we definitely need one. Lavelle has shown he’s not good enough and Thomas was probably a free agent after the window for a reason. I think we’d be in a bit of trouble if Inniss or O’Connell got injured, and with Inniss record that is very possible. Ideally we can sign one player that can cover centre back and left back 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    CH4RLTON said:

I think we definitely need one. Lavelle has shown he’s not good enough and Thomas was probably a free agent after the window for a reason. I think we’d be in a bit of trouble if Inniss or O’Connell got injured, and with Inniss record that is very possible. Ideally we can sign one player that can cover centre back and left back 
    P'raps
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:

I have always believed this which is why our failure to address the depth was so crazy. In my honest opinion Dobson is the best midfeilder in the league and Fraser is up there. That is a great starting point.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Just thinking about how much Pratley instead of Fraser would have improved us last night
    If it was walking football and he didn't get sent off for a stupid foul. No good thinking of the past.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    CH4RLTON said:

Lucas Ness is good enough to step up if necessary.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Fraser had an excellent game. He is really starting to find the form we knew was there. Can't see how Pratley with all due respect to him would have improved us. Fantastic delivery for two of our goals FFS!
  • Options
    Minor point….we still have not scored from a corner this season despite TV commentary suggesting otherwise.
    The goal was from open play……take another look.
    Still counts as from a corner. Just that there was an extra touch. 
    In the same way you can score from a free kick with a header back across the goal and someone converting. 
    I think stats take that view?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Minor point….we still have not scored from a corner this season despite TV commentary suggesting otherwise.
    The goal was from open play……take another look.
    Still counts as from a corner. Just that there was an extra touch. 
    In the same way you can score from a free kick with a header back across the goal and someone converting. 
    I think stats take that view?
    I think that is a reasonable view. It was part of the corner move.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I think the full backs don't have to be anything more than strong defensively when we have CBT and JRS in the wide positions. CBT was excellent and JRS was good but he is in the mode of trying to do a little too much himself.
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Wollacott: very little to do
    Egbo:  decent but no the force he was last Tuesday
    Inniss: he owes Dobson big time Gave him non stop hospital passes and cost him a booking, distribution is dreadful, instinctively useful in both boxes, scarily awful with the ball at his feet, the goal was a clear foul on Morrison
    O'Connell: best game so far by a distance, pulling back Scarlett(?) when he wrongly thought he was offside was moronic and competent officials would have sent him off, he's experienced enough to play to the effing whistle
    Sessegnon: our best option at leftback but he's not fully fit yet is he
    J R-S:  quick and sporadically exciting but he's getting found out as a one trick pony - absolutely no right foot and halfway decent fullbacks nullify him
    Dobson: the foundation on which the whole team and system is built, Inniss clearly hates him, adding incisive passing to his armoury too, lose him and we'll suffer
    Fraser: lasted a bit longer last night, good attacking play, all his legwork is done by Dobbo 
    C B-T:  terrified pompey last night, for an hour or so
    Stockley: indispensible in both boxes and with close support his hold up play is valuable
    Kirk: another one who has increased his output, a bit
    Morgan: hamstrung by the idiot who put him on the left
    Payne: hamstrung by the idiot who put him on the right

Referee: I thought that was due to be Whitestone, club's review says Busby, which might explain the awful decisions - Inniss all over Morrison holding him down, O'Connell's blatant tug on the striker who wasn't offside, booking Dobbo when Mingi jumped into him and dived over his leg.  The hopeless embarrassment credited us with a goal that 99 times out of a 100 would be chalked off and O'Connell's tug back would normally give a penalty and possibly a red card so Charlton gained twice over.  Danny Cowley's conduct in light of those refereeing standards does him enormous credit.

Garner's version of events around team discipline, training etc etc has changed right around in barely a week.  His persistence with left footers on the right and vice versa with no variation, not even just temporarily in games is short sighted.  Oppositions will too easily work out and nullify one footed wonders if they never have the option of going outside and crossing

Exeter got done over again on Saturday and Pompey haven't offered much over the last coupla weeks.  We've played both of them at good times and hopefully that's helped play a few more at Charlton into better confidence and form.
    The absence of both Thomas and Lavelle from the bench is troubling.  Neither's very good but they're all the defensive cover we have.

You do realise we had a really comfortable win, right?
  • Options
    Mingi looked quite decent yesterday! Apart from him, every Pompey player was built up to be some kind of world beater but looked crap.

• Options
    ross1 said:
    as I said way up the page, the last ten minutes could have been managed better against ten men .. we also had three unnecessary bookings .. Garner says we must learn from that, I am sure the players will have learnt .. the home form is good now for the away form .. Lincoln wh we got a hard won point are no way as bad as many on here think, they won at Ipswich last weekend for example .. Shrewsbury are one of those tough little clubs who always are out to prove something, Saturday will be a great test of our durability and ability to start winning away from the Valley against tough opponents  :)