Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Portsmouth | Monday 17th October 2022

Comments

• Options
    Scott Fraser is the best central midfielder that Charlton have had since Dale Stephens, such a class act.
    Absolutely agree, class.
  • Options
    I thought Lincoln set up incredibly negatively against us for a home side playing a bottom half side which we were. We have to deal with these sides. Portsmouth are very ordinary but thought they coud beat us by outplaying us. We need to have a paln for the teams trying to frustrate us.
  • Options
    Any Plymouth fans tuning in last night trying to work out how we pummelled them earlier in the season will have seen it wasn't a fluke
  • Options
    LStig said:
    Pompey came out unprepared. Rather than wearing a proper kit they turned up in what looked like some old training bibs. They got what they deserved - a mauling. Well played Charlton; better in every department. It's so nice to be able to say that. 
    That kit is a disgrace. They should have worn blue shirts, just like we should always wear red if we can. 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Wollacott: very little to do
    Egbo:  decent but no the force he was last Tuesday
    Inniss: he owes Dobson big time Gave him non stop hospital passes and cost him a booking, distribution is dreadful, instinctively useful in both boxes, scarily awful with the ball at his feet, the goal was a clear foul on Morrison
    O'Connell: best game so far by a distance, pulling back Scarlett(?) when he wrongly thought he was offside was moronic and competent officials would have sent him off, he's experienced enough to play to the effing whistle
    Sessegnon: our best option at leftback but he's not fully fit yet is he
    J R-S:  quick and sporadically exciting but he's getting found out as a one trick pony - absolutely no right foot and halfway decent fullbacks nullify him
    Dobson: the foundation on which the whole team and system is built, Inniss clearly hates him, adding incisive passing to his armoury too, lose him and we'll suffer
    Fraser: lasted a bit longer last night, good attacking play, all his legwork is done by Dobbo 
    C B-T:  terrified pompey last night, for an hour or so
    Stockley: indispensible in both boxes and with close support his hold up play is valuable
    Kirk: another one who has increased his output, a bit
    Morgan: hamstrung by the idiot who put him on the left
    Payne: hamstrung by the idiot who put him on the right

Referee: I thought that was due to be Whitestone, club's review says Busby, which might explain the awful decisions - Inniss all over Morrison holding him down, O'Connell's blatant tug on the striker who wasn't offside, booking Dobbo when Mingi jumped into him and dived over his leg.  The hopeless embarrassment credited us with a goal that 99 times out of a 100 would be chalked off and O'Connell's tug back would normally give a penalty and possibly a red card so Charlton gained twice over.  Danny Cowley's conduct in light of those refereeing standards does him enormous credit.

Garner's version of events around team discipline, training etc etc has changed right around in barely a week.  His persistence with left footers on the right and vice versa with no variation, not even just temporarily in games is short sighted.  Oppositions will too easily work out and nullify one footed wonders if they never have the option of going outside and crossing

Exeter got done over again on Saturday and Pompey haven't offered much over the last coupla weeks.  We've played both of them at good times and hopefully that's helped play a few more at Charlton into better confidence and form.
    The absence of both Thomas and Lavelle from the bench is troubling.  Neither's very good but they're all the defensive cover we have.

To say JRS has been found out, the ease he cut in and released the shot that could score one goal to win a game tells me it’s not so easy to nullify. 

Knowing what he is going to do and actually nullifying him are two separate matters.
  • Options
    cafc_se7 said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    Wollacott: very little to do
    Egbo:  decent but no the force he was last Tuesday
    Inniss: he owes Dobson big time Gave him non stop hospital passes and cost him a booking, distribution is dreadful, instinctively useful in both boxes, scarily awful with the ball at his feet, the goal was a clear foul on Morrison
    O'Connell: best game so far by a distance, pulling back Scarlett(?) when he wrongly thought he was offside was moronic and competent officials would have sent him off, he's experienced enough to play to the effing whistle
    Sessegnon: our best option at leftback but he's not fully fit yet is he
    J R-S:  quick and sporadically exciting but he's getting found out as a one trick pony - absolutely no right foot and halfway decent fullbacks nullify him
    Dobson: the foundation on which the whole team and system is built, Inniss clearly hates him, adding incisive passing to his armoury too, lose him and we'll suffer
    Fraser: lasted a bit longer last night, good attacking play, all his legwork is done by Dobbo 
    C B-T:  terrified pompey last night, for an hour or so
    Stockley: indispensible in both boxes and with close support his hold up play is valuable
    Kirk: another one who has increased his output, a bit
    Morgan: hamstrung by the idiot who put him on the left
    Payne: hamstrung by the idiot who put him on the right

Referee: I thought that was due to be Whitestone, club's review says Busby, which might explain the awful decisions - Inniss all over Morrison holding him down, O'Connell's blatant tug on the striker who wasn't offside, booking Dobbo when Mingi jumped into him and dived over his leg.  The hopeless embarrassment credited us with a goal that 99 times out of a 100 would be chalked off and O'Connell's tug back would normally give a penalty and possibly a red card so Charlton gained twice over.  Danny Cowley's conduct in light of those refereeing standards does him enormous credit.

Garner's version of events around team discipline, training etc etc has changed right around in barely a week.  His persistence with left footers on the right and vice versa with no variation, not even just temporarily in games is short sighted.  Oppositions will too easily work out and nullify one footed wonders if they never have the option of going outside and crossing

Exeter got done over again on Saturday and Pompey haven't offered much over the last coupla weeks.  We've played both of them at good times and hopefully that's helped play a few more at Charlton into better confidence and form.
    The absence of both Thomas and Lavelle from the bench is troubling.  Neither's very good but they're all the defensive cover we have.

To say JRS has been found out, the ease he cut in and released the shot that could score one goal to win a game tells me it’s not so easy to nullify. 

Knowing what he is going to do and actually nullifying him are two separate matters.
    Not a dig, for the record, just an observation.
  • Options
    What we saw was CBT coming in from the left and getting a shot off twice. That has been too regular for us not to maximise what we could potentially get from it IMO. I suspect we are currently working on it as CBT is getting better when the finish is required.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Only disappointment was the Covered End missing the chance to sing cheerio to the Pompey fans who were leaving after O'Connell's goal. Thought it would be bread and butter after singing that 30 seconds earlier for the red card!
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Two things need to happen IMO. Firstly, Garner needs to get us to the next window within a reasonable distance of the play offs and then we have to address the glaring holes in that window. I think there are signs Garner might be able to do this but less so in terms of us addressing the glaring holes which is going to be essential. I have always felt, and have said as much that we could be as little as a couple of players short. Of course more would be better, but I think in this League, two of the right players in the right positions could make a massive difference. Pompey are supposed to be one of the better teams FFS!
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I don’t know if the new substitution rules are anything to do with it, but is it that Garner is getting better in that aspect of management? 
    Now I know the new rules have been in all season, but in a lot of games so far this season towards the end I have frequently thought they all look knackered, or x is dead on his feet, or y is shot. 
    However last night the sprightliness of the team lasted the whole game.
    I think you are right he is getting better, in the Exeter game he also used his subs very well. It might also just be that we now have better players available to bring on now that we have a few players back from injuries
  • Options
    There's a link between players returning, the bench strength and usage of subs. 
  • Options
    couldnt make the game last night as 2 swampies made my 15 min journey from dartford into a 2 hour ordeal. 

best ive seen us for a long time was a nice change to see us win on the box. 

i agree seems team is gelling a bit will take stock at end of the month 
  • Options
    Well I've just got back from Teneriffe after 2 weeks, I could be persuaded to stay out there Mr Sandgaard for a small fee
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    seth plum said:
    I don’t know if the new substitution rules are anything to do with it, but is it that Garner is getting better in that aspect of management? 
    Now I know the new rules have been in all season, but in a lot of games so far this season towards the end I have frequently thought they all look knackered, or x is dead on his feet, or y is shot. 
    However last night the sprightliness of the team lasted the whole game.
    I think you are right he is getting better, in the Exeter game he also used his subs very well. It might also just be that we now have better players available to bring on now that we have a few players back from injuries
    It's easier to make subs when your winning.  Stretched games also really suit Aneke and Payne especially.

Everything is easier, everything looks better, no decisions are wrong when your winning.
  • Options
    Late to the party as indeed I was last night. I missed the first 30 mins so can only really judge the second half. With the caveat that it was very clearly league 1 football with the odd bit of brilliance thrown in, that was a pretty complete performance. Portsmouth were surprisingly poor without being complete rubbish. We looked well organised and a number of players stepped up. We need CBT to turn up like that every game. Nelson and Sess have really improved us at full back and that’s the first time I’ve been properly impressed by Fraser. Kirk still has a lot to do before I’ll reverse my opinion of him as a dud but even I can’t deny his key contributions last night. More of the same please lads moving forward and pray we avoid injuries. I was annoyed that we picked up three stupid and totally avoidable bookings when we were 3-0 up and coasting against ten men. They could come back to haunt us. But promising signs on the pitch at least. Let’s hope that the soap opera off the pitch doesn’t derail what could be a better few months than we could have envisaged a few weeks ago. Onwards and hopefully upwards. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well I've just got back from Teneriffe after 2 weeks, I could be persuaded to stay out there Mr Sandgaard for a small fee
    Will an IOU from TS suffice??
  • Options
    edited October 2022
  • Options
    Enjoyed last night but let’s be totally honest, the change to 442 has been the big factor in our upturn - I know we were seeing the game out but that last 15 was a reminder of how blunt we are when playing 1 up top - taking all our pace off didn’t help either - the whole fanbase and league knew stockley couldn’t play up top on his own - we are far more dangerous on the turnover now as have more bodies up the pitch when we win it back - the passing it round the back and out wide etc etc never gets anywhere so this is the way to go - we finally go out all guns blazing with some ammunition in our locker - we will still concede a lot but should score a few now - that’ll do me 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    as I said way up the page, the last ten minutes could have been managed better against ten men .. we also had three unnecessary bookings .. Garner says we must learn from that, I am sure the players will have learnt .. the home form is good now for the away form .. Lincoln wh we got a hard won point are no way as bad as many on here think, they won at Ipswich last weekend for example .. Shrewsbury are one of those tough little clubs who always are out to prove something, Saturday will be a great test of our durability and ability to start winning away from the Valley against tough opponents  :)
    Agreed. I genuinely feel we play much better when on the front foot. Because we weren't really going for the 4th goal, we got a bit sloppy and aimless, not really knowing what to do. A minor complaint of course, but notable that Garner himself brought it up without prompting.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Having watched on TV tonight, I think that was one of the most all round performances I've seen in many a season. 
    Not 1 player didn't play their part, including the subs. Rik-Saki is so skillful and will improve with time, hopefully with us this season.
    Kirk and Fraser best games for us by a mile, CBT excellent, Stockley worked so hard, but Innis and O'Conell stood out for me.
    Dobson and Wolly safe and sound and confident.
    Finally Egbo and Sess....they must play every week! Superb.
    Loved that tonight....excellent all round.
    This.
    Minor negative was Clare, who was far too casual, gave the ball away a couple of times and his team mates saved his bacon by preventing Pompey from scoring.

I've never liked Clare at the back.
    Yes he plays well some games, but he's sloppy and casual just as often.
    A defender needs to be solid every game, not just half the time.

NB Kirk played in yesterday's position (or similar) at Lincoln last season and absolutely stank the place out, barely touched the ball and looked like he was hiding.

I'm hopeful but not getting too optimistic.
  • Options
    Will an IOU from TS suffice??
    No cash only I'm afraid
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Very impressive from us tonight especially in regards to our work out of possession. Everyone worked hard and we made it very difficult for them to get at us.

The other massive plus point is that we finally looked dangerous from set pieces. Kudos to the coaches for addressing it as you could tell we have clearly put the work in there. Without them that's another 1 goal scored and it makes such a difference to be able to score goals like that. Our goals scored from open play is up there at there with the best in the division so it's vital to our season that we continue to be dangerous from set plays.

Hope we see a repeat performabce over 90 minutes away from home now as a win in our next match will give us great momentum and help keep us close to being in the mix.
    It begs the question why we were so poor on set pieces up until now.
    Did we really have no strategy for 1/3 of the season?