Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Portsmouth | Monday 17th October 2022

Comments

• Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Very impressive from us tonight especially in regards to our work out of possession. Everyone worked hard and we made it very difficult for them to get at us.

The other massive plus point is that we finally looked dangerous from set pieces. Kudos to the coaches for addressing it as you could tell we have clearly put the work in there. Without them that's another 1 goal scored and it makes such a difference to be able to score goals like that. Our goals scored from open play is up there at there with the best in the division so it's vital to our season that we continue to be dangerous from set plays.

Hope we see a repeat performabce over 90 minutes away from home now as a win in our next match will give us great momentum and help keep us close to being in the mix.
    It begs the question why we were so poor on set pieces up until now.
    Did we really have no strategy for 1/3 of the season?
    See the giant extension lead thread.
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Wollacott: very little to do Fair.
    Egbo:  decent but no the force he was last Tuesday Fair
    Inniss: he owes Dobson big time Gave him non stop hospital passes and cost him a booking, distribution is dreadful, instinctively useful in both boxes, scarily awful with the ball at his feet, the goal was a clear foul on Morrison Disagree, he gave Dobson maybe two bad passes. 
    O'Connell: best game so far by a distance, pulling back Scarlett(?) when he wrongly thought he was offside was moronic and competent officials would have sent him off, he's experienced enough to play to the effing whistle He didn't incorrectly think he was offside, the man was offside.
    Sessegnon: our best option at leftback but he's not fully fit yet is he Fair
    J R-S:  quick and sporadically exciting but he's getting found out as a one trick pony - absolutely no right foot and halfway decent fullbacks nullify him Fair
    Dobson: the foundation on which the whole team and system is built, Inniss clearly hates him, adding incisive passing to his armoury too, lose him and we'll suffer Incorrect, his own passing was poor, Fraser was cleaner tackling and better passing.
    Fraser: lasted a bit longer last night, good attacking play, all his legwork is done by Dobbo Incorrect, he was non stop last night. Covered every blade.
    C B-T:  terrified pompey last night, for an hour or so Fair
    Stockley: indispensible in both boxes and with close support his hold up play is valuable Disagree. He's not that good, but whilst Leaburn is out, he's our only option.
    Kirk: another one who has increased his output, a bit Constant effort all night. 
    Morgan: hamstrung by the idiot who put him on the left He came on behind Stockley.
    Payne: hamstrung by the idiot who put him on the right Cut in from the right to get shots off and run into the box. Scored from the right last game.

I know it's not fun being a Charlton fan at times, but jeez, try to enjoy the rare good moments a bit. 

• Options
    Inniss' passing was excellent all night and even contributed to some JRS attacks. Thunderc...Billy Mix will see whatever the hell he wants to see. It's thrilling, almost
  • Options
    'all his legwork is done by Dobbo' just astonishing calumny too yeah
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Inniss' passing was excellent all night and even contributed to some JRS attacks. Thunderc...Billy Mix will see whatever the hell he wants to see. It's thrilling, almost
    His short passing to the midfielders was often erratic and easily cut out. If it was excellent all night, he wouldn't have held his hands up and apologised 2/3 times to Dobbo!
  • Options
    Like twice, yeah. 'Non-stop hospital passes'? Nah.
  • Options
    Worst pass of the game was played BY Dobson btw, first-time no-look ball to their winger that all but resulted in a one-on-one
  • Options
    Myself and Richard Cawley looked back at the game this evening - you can hear it below

londonnewsonline.co.uk/the-slp-verdic…
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Wollacott: very little to do
    Egbo:  decent but no the force he was last Tuesday
    Inniss: he owes Dobson big time Gave him non stop hospital passes and cost him a booking, distribution is dreadful, instinctively useful in both boxes, scarily awful with the ball at his feet, the goal was a clear foul on Morrison
    O'Connell: best game so far by a distance, pulling back Scarlett(?) when he wrongly thought he was offside was moronic and competent officials would have sent him off, he's experienced enough to play to the effing whistle
    Sessegnon: our best option at leftback but he's not fully fit yet is he
    J R-S:  quick and sporadically exciting but he's getting found out as a one trick pony - absolutely no right foot and halfway decent fullbacks nullify him
    Dobson: the foundation on which the whole team and system is built, Inniss clearly hates him, adding incisive passing to his armoury too, lose him and we'll suffer
    Fraser: lasted a bit longer last night, good attacking play, all his legwork is done by Dobbo 
    C B-T:  terrified pompey last night, for an hour or so
    Stockley: indispensible in both boxes and with close support his hold up play is valuable
    Kirk: another one who has increased his output, a bit
    Morgan: hamstrung by the idiot who put him on the left
    Payne: hamstrung by the idiot who put him on the right

Referee: I thought that was due to be Whitestone, club's review says Busby, which might explain the awful decisions - Inniss all over Morrison holding him down, O'Connell's blatant tug on the striker who wasn't offside, booking Dobbo when Mingi jumped into him and dived over his leg.  The hopeless embarrassment credited us with a goal that 99 times out of a 100 would be chalked off and O'Connell's tug back would normally give a penalty and possibly a red card so Charlton gained twice over.  Danny Cowley's conduct in light of those refereeing standards does him enormous credit.

Garner's version of events around team discipline, training etc etc has changed right around in barely a week.  His persistence with left footers on the right and vice versa with no variation, not even just temporarily in games is short sighted.  Oppositions will too easily work out and nullify one footed wonders if they never have the option of going outside and crossing

Exeter got done over again on Saturday and Pompey haven't offered much over the last coupla weeks.  We've played both of them at good times and hopefully that's helped play a few more at Charlton into better confidence and form.
    The absence of both Thomas and Lavelle from the bench is troubling.  Neither's very good but they're all the defensive cover we have.

Utter drivel. Sounds like you were unhappy we won last night.
    I think we've found the person who hacked my account....
    No probem Golfie, you will ALWAYS be the ORIGINAL CL miserable so and so!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Like twice, yeah. 'Non-stop hospital passes'? Nah.
    All good. Allowed to share your own opinions. Am not using @Billy_Mix's post as a centrepiece thesis  :D;)
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I think I’m still pissed from Saturday cos I didn’t think Kirk was any good, better than previous nut that’s not much , slide rule pass to CBT apart I thought he did his usual nothingness…

Great result and a good display however Kirk did very little and apart from one shot that stung the keeper hands neither did Rak Saki. Just goes to show how dominant we were with two passengers in our team.
    Winner of the Wind Up of The Year Award.

edit - since read the post by Billy Mix, sorry @eaststandmike I need that award back.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Very impressive from us tonight especially in regards to our work out of possession. Everyone worked hard and we made it very difficult for them to get at us.

The other massive plus point is that we finally looked dangerous from set pieces. Kudos to the coaches for addressing it as you could tell we have clearly put the work in there. Without them that's another 1 goal scored and it makes such a difference to be able to score goals like that. Our goals scored from open play is up there at there with the best in the division so it's vital to our season that we continue to be dangerous from set plays.

Hope we see a repeat performabce over 90 minutes away from home now as a win in our next match will give us great momentum and help keep us close to being in the mix.
    Absolutely begs the question. Let's ignore current success and focus on past failures.
    What the hell is the matter with you?
  • Options
    I suspect a big factor is Inniss is probably in a better place physically which allows him to be more effective in his defence bullying game.
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:

Exeter got done over again on Saturday and Pompey haven't offered much over the last coupla weeks.  We've played both of them at good times and hopefully that's helped play a few more at Charlton into better confidence and form.

Did somebody say, let the good times roll…?
  • Options
    Major said:
    Jac_52 said:

Absolutely begs the question. Let's ignore current success and focus on past failures.
    I'd say he's raised a really valid discussion point.
    What's your problem?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Garnerball said that it would take time for his style of play to take effect. This coupled with a consistent team selection has  settled team that are now gelling. Let’s see how we perform against Salop and if we win that match convincingly or just the 3 points it should confirm that we’ve now turned that corner and about to board HMS Pisstheleague. 🥸
  • Options
    I suspect a big factor is Inniss is probably in a better place physically which allows him to be more effective in his defence bullying game.
    Or, after that tackle at Wimbledon got shown around opposition changing rooms a few times could it be that winding him up or getting on his bad side was probably felt to be not such a great idea ? 
  • Options
    Two things need to happen IMO. Firstly, Garner needs to get us to the next window within a reasonable distance of the play offs and then we have to address the glaring holes in that window. I think there are signs Garner might be able to do this but less so in terms of us addressing the glaring holes which is going to be essential. I have always felt, and have said as much that we could be as little as a couple of players short. Of course more would be better, but I think in this League, two of the right players in the right positions could make a massive difference. Pompey are supposed to be one of the better teams FFS!
    Cardboard or hardboard is usually quite good for holes in windows. 
  • Options
    Two things need to happen IMO. Firstly, Garner needs to get us to the next window within a reasonable distance of the play offs and then we have to address the glaring holes in that window. I think there are signs Garner might be able to do this but less so in terms of us addressing the glaring holes which is going to be essential. I have always felt, and have said as much that we could be as little as a couple of players short. Of course more would be better, but I think in this League, two of the right players in the right positions could make a massive difference. Pompey are supposed to be one of the better teams FFS!
    Cardboard or hardboard is usually quite good for holes in windows. 
    A brick would be more effective…allegedly 
  • Options

Yeah, but other than that, what’s Corey ever done for us?
  • Options
    What point you trying to make @Addick Addict?
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    What did we learn from Monday night ?
    That without good partnerships all over the pitch we are a bang average League 1 side.

BUT when we have good relationships all over the pitch we are a better than average League 1 side: Inniss + O'Connell, Fraser + Dobson plus the bonus against Pompey that I don't think anyone picked up on because Rak Sakyi took on his players he was double marked whereas Corey Blackett-Taylor who was excellent had more space to slaughter his marker. Excellent pass from Kirk in a central position in a fast transition for a one on one goal by CBT.

Until we pick up wins away from home we remain a mid table team. 

Trouble with CL is, we lose at Shrewsbury and you don't see 'mustard' written but an avalanche of 'dog shit' by the limited vocabulary brigade. Try Horse vomit or humongous Elephant dung just to be different.

After the taming of the Shrews I hope it's pass the Coleman's. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Major said:
    Jac_52 said:

Compared to you, not much at all.
    Try and say something interesting rather than nearly all your posts having a dig at someone.