Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tyreece Campbell (p8. May 2024 - signs new 2yr deal +1yr option)

Comments

• Options
    Great stuff ! 

Onwards & upwards, Tyreece.
  • Options
    He was poor last season, hopefully Jones can get his form back
  • Options
    edited May 14
    Slightly harsh to describe him as poor last season, he had up's and down's agreed, but showed some great aptitude and promise for the future, so sure Nathan has seen enough and TC got his due rewards with a 2 + 1 year contract...poor, not for me...
  • Options
    Slightly harsh to describe him as poor last season, he had up's and down's agreed, but showed some great aptitude and promise for the future, so sure Nathan has seen enough and TC got his due rewards with a 2 + 1 year contract...poor, not for me...
    Tries to beat too many players and should look for the quick 1-2 pass instead. 
    L1 “men” players are too much for him right now, so he should use his speed to better effect. 

Hopefully NJ can get this trained in to him. 
  • Options
    Tries to beat too many players and should look for the quick 1-2 pass instead. 
    L1 “men” players are too much for him right now, so he should use his speed to better effect. 

Hopefully NJ can get this trained in to him. 
    OK...but still feel "poor" is not apt, and maybe finding someone for a quick 1-2 pass as you said needs someone to make themselves available, anyway sure NJ has seen enough, and wouldn't have given the new contract without confidence that TC can deliver...
  • Options
    I feel quite ambivalent. I’d love to see him do well but just not sure….like a lot of young players he’s very inconsistent. On balance I’d have given him a year, but now he’s signed up he really needs to have a good season now for us or as a loan
  • Options
    Stats only paint a small picture, but according to the BBC he got as many assists as CBT for us last season.

The potential is still very much there, just needs the right Manager to coax it out of him
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    TC's natural position is the same one that CBT favours, on the left of a front 3, cutting inside onto his right foot, as opposed to being on the right and being expected to provide a cross. The previous season, Rak-Sakyi did the same on the other side, playing on the right and often cutting in on his left.

Indeed I sometimes wonder if Alfie May was the case of the right player at the wrong time, in that we had a 433 setup, then brought in a player who didn't really suit it, and didn't replace Rak-Sakyi on the right either. 
  • Options
    Agree, had some good games under Holden, got some assists and scored a cracking goal v Reading.

Had some bad performances under Appleton but better under Jones.

I don't think that was coincidence.
    I thought he was on the verge of really establishing himself in the first part of the season. Lord knows what Appleton said to him, and maybe it is just coincidence, but he looked absolutely ruined while the Dementor was managing us.

Hopefully he can get a good pre-season under him and start to kick on again because there is definitely plenty in there to work with.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    fenaddick said:
    Croydon said:
    NabySarr said:
    Think NJ is growing to like him a lot. Get him a new contract please.
    2 good cameos off the bench. Still think if I was him I wouldn’t be signing for us. He needs to find a team playing 4-3-3, shouldn’t just settle for appearances off the bench for us. Hope we can keep him but I think it would be a poor move from TC to stay if I’m being honest 
    A side aiming for promotion needs better than Campbell on the bench imo. 
    Have to see the bigger picture and there are 2 major positives to having Campbell around next year. 1 is that Jones clearly improves players and makes teams more than a sum of it's parts, Campbell has a high ceiling and if anyone can get him up there it's Jones. The 2nd is almost more important, it shows our young players that it's ok to have a bad run of form and we won't cut our losses straight away. The successes of players like Gomez are important but so are the trickier journeys.
    The only thing that matters next season is promotion. If we sign Campbell again it should be a with a view to loan him out to prove himself regularly while we sign better to get us back to the championship. 
    Agree that promotion is the only KPI next season.

The question is "Can TC help to achieve that aim?"

I think he can.  He has skill, pace and creates goals.

He's young and still learning but that also means that he doesn't count towards the 23? man squad limit so is a "bonus player".  I doubt the 8-8-8 squad idea is going to be the plan under Jones but if it is TC is clearly in the Academy 8.

Do we have better wingers at the moment?  No we don't.  In fact, all we have is a 33 year old loanee who's shown nothing so far in his two short appearances and even younger players like Rylah (another great prospect IMHO but not ready yet and currently injured). 

Should we buy/loan better wingers?  Yeah, of course, if we can find them but that is easier said than done.

Meanwhile we have a decent winger on our books we can develop.   Not sure a loan at a lower level develops him or helps us get promotion.

Sure his form took a big dip under Appleton but the whole club took a big dip under Appleton.  Let's see what he does under Jones.
    Depends on the formation, wingers might not be important for us. If we're going 352, there's no real point in having any more than one winger plus a striker/attacking midfielder who can play down the wing. If we're switching formation, it will be an interesting summer of transfers but I'd be a bit concerned because there's a lot of players in our squad who wouldn't really fit in anymore. 
    We played 352 because that’s what Appleton and Scott left us with .  I hope we can be more flexible next season.  We are a little hamstrung that May probably can’t play effectively in any other system 
  • Options
    Out of interest, but if TC was on the released list at say Oxford or Northampton and we announced him this summer on a 2-3 year deal, would you be pleased with that signing? 
  • Options
    Out of interest, but if TC was on the released list at say Oxford or Northampton and we announced him this summer on a 2-3 year deal, would you be pleased with that signing? 
    Based purely on the stats last season, probably not honestly. But that doesn't account for the context (Appleton being the main point there.) A young attacking player with potential probably isn't what I'd put top of the shopping list but he does seem like a "Jones player" a la Ramsay or Small.
  • Options
    Has potential to be good if he can become a little more stoic and resilient to bad performances. 

If he can do as the best players do and each game forget the errors he made, whilst also learning from them he will be a good L1/Championship winger. 
  • Options
    That's a false analogy.

He wasn't on our released list.

Oxford and Northampton had decent seasons.

But if a young player with 4 goals and 6 assists in a poor side became available for free then some would positive and some not, it was ever thus.

• Options
    That's a false analogy.

He wasn't on our released list.

Oxford and Northampton had decent seasons.

But if a young player with 4 goals and 6 assists in a poor side became available for free then some would positive and some not, it was ever thus.
     In answer to AFKA's question and taking into account your comment around his goals and assists - If I had never seen the player I would be excited.

However having seen him I am less excited by his contract extension, but still look forward to seeing how he can progress. We all can see he's technically good and fast. It's simply his ability to lose confidence that is a concern.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

There was a lot of excitement about signing Scott Fraser. There was hardly any excitement about signing Corey Blackett-Taylor. Fans get it wrong all the time when it comes to new signings.

There was a lot of celebrating when we signed Charlie Kirk.
  • Options
    There's fans getting it wrong and there's it simply not working out.
  • Options

There was a lot of excitement about signing Scott Fraser. There was hardly any excitement about signing Corey Blackett-Taylor. Fans get it wrong all the time when it comes to new signings.

There was a lot of celebrating when we signed Charlie Kirk.
    Innis was going to be a cheat code at this level remember
  • Options

Something tells me his YouTube clip would look amazing so that would be posted and people would be delighted.  It wouldn't have featured any of the time Apples was with us.
  • Options
    edited May 15
    I hope to be proved wrong but I really don't rate him.
  • Options
    Can't see him being offered a 2+1 contract to just loan him out...
  • Options
    edited May 15
    It’s good to have young players in the squad who can have a positive impact off the bench but if TC is going to have a long term future he needs to improve on his consistency and start making more of an impression as a starter.