Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023

Comments

• Options
    Ref was definitely really weak but Spain were much the better side.

Gutting though.
  • Options
    Proper Charlton corner at the end there
  • Options
    Spain played very well, on the whole deserved it. 
  • Options
    Comprehensively outplayed….poor performance all round except Earpes
  • Options
    Another England team to be proud of, it's only a matter of time until the men's, or women's team win a World Cup imo. Spain deserved winners today though.
  • Options
    Spain much better and deserved the win but they quickly realised that they could manipulate the referee who was awful.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2023
    Spain better team on the day. Ref was shit. England did well to get to the final & have rode their luck. Stanway didn’t look fit. I love Hemp’s work rate but is not clinical with her finishing. Russo good finisher but lacks control.

Need a better right back / right midfield than Bronze. Manager made mistake of picking 352 knowing Bronze’s weaknesses as a player. Maybe should have started with 4 at the back & played James from the start. Easy to say that with hindsight. 
  • Options
    Well Done Spain
  • Options
    A feeling of déjà vu, seeing a Spanish team completely controlling midfield.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ref was definitely really weak but Spain were much the better side.

Gutting though.
    Agree. There was a few times the Spanish forward could have been booked whilst on a yellow, especially very late when she kicked the ball away when the ref had blown her whistle a few times. Also a strange free kick just before when Spain won a free kick, when the England player had got to the ball but the Spanish player put her foot in and got stepped on. Easier to see in replay than real time.

Spain were much stronger first half. England huffed and puffed, but no end product. 

A very good tournament though so much to be proud of. 
  • Options
    More importantly  Millwall are one down at Norwich.

Can you listen to Mary Earps.
    Make that 2-0.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Spain were the better team on the day and England rarely threatened. Throughly deserved IMO.

England got a couple rounds further than I was expecting really with the injuries and retirements since the Euros. 
  • Options
    Very disappointed, more in the performance than the result. Hardly put any decent moves together and the Spanish played it around much more smoothly. Well done to England on another strong tournament though.
  • Options
    Other than against China and some of Denmark, I don’t think we have played particularly well this tournament. 

But tournament football is all about progressing, not about looking easy on the eye and we successfully did that despite being second best against Nigeria for example. 

Proud of the team, just too many below par performances in the final game - Stanway, Toone, Walsh and Bronze - you cannot afford so many in the same match. 

Here’s to the next tournament 
  • Options
    Bronze looks a huge ego. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I know she has been in running for world player of year before and played for the biggest clubs, but I fail to see what Bronze brings to the team other than an aerial threat at set pieces 
    Stand by this from earlier in tournament 
  • Options
    At the start of the tournament we didn't think we'd get anywhere near the final with all the injuries we had. A fantastic tournament shouldn't be ignored just because we were second best all round in the final. 

England did what underdogs are supposed to do, kept it tight and tried to nick something late on. It just didn't work out. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2023
    A lot of credit goes to our manager IMO. I don't think there was much she could have done. Spain didn't suit us, they pressed us with energy and stamina like no other team can do. But she tried different things to make something happen. A lot of our players need that extra second and make rash decisions when they are hurried. It was perfectly demonstrated in the first half where Bright was deep and got the ball in our box. Against every other side she would have had time to bring it out but in this game a spanish player was bombing towards her.

I do get your point about Bronze MrOneLung. There was a time not so long ago when she seemed to be playing opponents on her own at times but the qulaity has increased around her and she doesn't stand out so much. You then see the limitations in her game more which can be her composure and distribution. But she is still a top player who had a very poor game today admittedly.
  • Options
    Spain could emulate the men's side and win WC and Euro's.
    Bonmati makes the game look so easy and Spain allow the ball to glide.
    Deserved winners if you like good passing with nous.
    Losing to Japan in group game helped them reboot. 

England got away with Lucy Bronze's barge in the back against Nigeria in the last 16 when a penalty wasn't given.

When Lucy ran into the midfield cul de sac, no way against Spain could we keep getting away with mistakes. 
    Lucy Bronze has won every trophy( No WC) going so hard to be critical but...

The thought of thinking about a team in 18th place in the 3rd tier is 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

• Options
    Does anyone know a good therapist?

Asking for an England and Charlton supporting friend.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I think when Bronze cut infield which led to their goal, the pass was on for her earlier with no risk but the ref was in the way. The outlet was too isolated, due to Spain's play, and it was hard to build moves. I don't think we can be too critical of Bronze for that. She was trying to make something happen.
  • Options
    Didn’t realise how good Spain are before the game…..fitter, faster and dominated in every department 
  • Options
    I blame Prince William
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Bronze looks a huge ego. 
    How so? Did she say something in particular?