Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023

Comments

• Options
    brave effort, but the truth is they were outplayed (but certainly not outfought) by a superior team
  • Options
    They should be proud considering the numerous set back. Spain are a very good side, and their dominance was just 1 too many for the girls. 

A fully fit England would win that trophy.
  • Options
    Things that stood out for me were to do with control and speed.

Controlling the ball on receiving a pass was not good - tended to take at least 2 touches to get it under control, by which time it had been taken by a Spanish player.

Spain managed to surround key players when they had the ball and quickly dispossessed them.

Speed.  my god they were a few mph faster to everything, and literally overtook our wingers and forwards more often than not, and then - see above - took the ball off them.  
  • Options
    Thoughts from this World Cup: 

Best free Kick: Marta Cox for the 30 yard rocket against France for Panama.

Best counter attacking : Japan 4 Spain 0 in a masterclass of speed and skill. 

Best team performance:
    Japan v Spain 4-0
    England v China 6-1
    Spain v England 1-0

Best individual Goals:
    Caicedo v Germany
    James v China
    Paralluelo v Sweden
    Toone v Australia
    Kerr v England

Most consistent keeper:
    Earps
    Best individual keeper performance:
    Musovic for Sweden v USA 

Best England player over 7 matches:
    Greenwood who excelled in a back 3 with her great left foot.

Surprise Performer for England.
    Jess Carter who is normally a reserve for Chelsea made some vital last ditch tackles.

Best individual performance for England:
    James v China

Best penalty: Chole Kelly with Rocket against Nigeria.

WTF have I done moment:
    James v Nigeria with step on Arse
    Chinese keeper when running past the ball and Leaving Kelly with an open goal !

There are more but these are still fresh in the memory.
  • Options
    I thought before the tournament with the disruption in the squad, The Quarter Finals was the likely end for England, Semi Finals at a push so they have exceeded expectations and when the dust settles, making a final will be seen as a massive success on the back of winning the Euros.  I think the way played will help also as they were excellent in the final so it is hard to have too many regrets.

Women's football is still growing in this country and the league is getting stronger. I saw a lot of talk of equity from pannelists but I see women's football, globally and indeed in this country, as being on pathways and upward ones at that. That isn't a bad thing and maybe instead of trying to be the same, the women's game could try not to fall into the same traps the mens game has. 

In terms of the England team, it will be interesting to see where we are at the next World Cup. I would expect them to be even better. As for Weigman, maybe her next job will be the men's job. I wouldn't look at that as a step up, rather more as a new challenge. I think a modern international manager needs to be adept at fitting all the pieces together to make things work and she seems the best at this I have seen
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Sarina Weigman will honour her contract and stay until 2025. The Olympics should be her gig for the GB team.

I don't see a cross over to the men's game for Weigman as at 50+ she has no experience of a group of male footballers.
    She has two daughters and one plays for a Dutch team.
    The tactics would be no problem.

There will be a female manager in League 2 no doubt but this will be a female that has worked in boys/youth/ men's football and can cope in that different environment. Then, no reason why they can't rise up the Division's.
    Strong personality with thick skin will be mandatory.
  • Options
    Now that the excitement and drama of the World Cup is done and dusted there is still one issue to be resolved.

Should Spain’s football president Luis Rubiales resign his position for kissing Jenni Hermoso on the lips during the after-match presentations?

He has flatly refused to resign claiming he is the victim of a witch hunt by “false feminists” and that the kiss was consensual.  But many disagree and 22 of the Spanish team and 50 other players besides say they will not play for Spain again until he goes.

Rubiales is currently heading Spains bid to host the men’s World Cup in 2030 with neighbouring Portugal,  Morocco and perhaps Ukraine.

• Options
    edited August 2023
    There is the manager coach or the manager who sees all the parts needed to be a success and facilitates that. I suspect the first woman to genuinely break through will be from the latter category. Absolutely no reason why a woman can't. If you asked me who I would prefer managing the men's team, Southgate or Weigman, I wouldn't even have to spend any time thinking about the answer.

He is a decent bloke who isn't a terrible manager but is too afraid to lose and allows sentiment to impact on decisions. She is decent and respected too by her players and coaching team but seems to instinctively know what has to be done and sets about doing it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That’s a pretty clear statement from Jenni Hermoso.
    Pretty much called Luis Rubiales a liar (and most people suspected that anyway.)

Can’t see how Luis Rubiales can survive this.
    He’s spearheading the Spanish bid to host the World Cup at the mo, but this is a really bad look, so there’s no way they’ll want him involved now.

• Options
    Now that the excitement and drama of the World Cup is done and dusted there is still one issue to be resolved.

Should Spain’s football president Luis Rubiales resign his position for kissing Jenni Hermoso on the lips during the after-match presentations?

He has flatly refused to resign claiming he is the victim of a witch hunt by “false feminists” and that the kiss was consensual.  But many disagree and 22 of the Spanish team and 50 other players besides say they will not play for Spain again until he goes.

Rubiales is currently heading Spains bid to host the men’s World Cup in 2030 with neighbouring Portugal,  Morocco and perhaps Ukraine.

The Spanish women should be celebrating winning the World Cup for the first time but instead this has overshadowed their skill.

• Options
    BREAKING: The Spanish football federation is calling on Luis Rubiales to resign following the kiss controversy with Jenni Hermoso

trib.al/ASZVgyn

📺 Sky 501, Virgin 602, Freeview 233 and YouTube
  • Options
    Pretty much called Luis Rubiales a liar (and most people suspected that anyway.)

He’s spearheading the Spanish bid to host the World Cup at the mo, but this is a really bad look, so there’s no way they’ll want him involved now.

FIFA have suspended him haven't they, so not sure how he can be involved?
  • Options

While I'm generally as cynical as anyone else about FIFA as an organisation, it does seem from their reaction so far that the Spanish FA is going to have to choose between their president and their world cup bid. At present they seem to be continuing with a stand-in taking the decisions. Can't imagine the Portuguese FA will be thrilled about continuing to put money into the bid if their co-hosts aren't willing to prioritise the bid over their internal politics.
  • Options

True, but I posted my comment three days ago when he was still very much leading the bid.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    The Spanish FA have issued a statement asking him to resign. Given that last Friday they gave him a standing ovation, and issued a statement formally explaining the evidence that Jenni Hermosa lied, their current stance is pretty lame to put it mildly, and their attempts to silence the player mean that Rubiales resigning probably won't be enough now.
    Really, the system needs cleaning out now. Their handling of this situation has been atrocious, and today's statement clashes so badly with everything they did last week that frankly it would be laughable if the situation hadn't become so polarised.
  • Options
    The response has been shambolic and pretty spineless, waiting to see which way the public opinion would go until it was clear they couldn't back him. 

I'm hoping it doesn't affect the Spain/Portugal WC bid as I really want to live in a country when a World Cup is on there. On other hand could be good for a UK bid although I'm not sure if they're going for 2030 as well.
  • Options
    If Spain had lost the final, none of this would have happened...
  • Options
    Might have happened to *checks* Mark Bullingham! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    From Guillem Balagué’s Twitter 

Some explosive words from Luis Rubiales uncle who workedbwith him in the Spanish FA in an interview with @josemariaolmo in @elconfidencial

😒 "Rubiales' mother is suffering, but so are those of the 25 people he kicked out of the Federation having done anytRubiales' mother is suffering, but so are those of the 25 people Luis kicked out of the Federation without committing any irregularity"

🤨 "The rest of the Rubiales family are absolutely positioned with an idea of dignity, defending Jenni, understanding her, and reproaching the embarrassing behavior of this president"

😞 "I never imagined that it would end in such a grotesque way. I knew that sooner or later he was going to fall, he is not big enough to be president of the FA, he did not want to be president anyway"

😐 "He has used the FA as a tool, for his personal good, to satisfy his ego, and to fight with those ghosts that he sees everywhere. He is a proud, arrogant person and his great enemy is himself. He has fallen because his pride and arrogance"

☹️ "He is a man obsessed with power, with luxury, with money, even with women. I think he needs a program of social re-education and re-education in his relationship with women"

🤔 Rubiales, according to Juan, wanted to get his dad paid by the FA, organised a party with women paid by the federation, travelled to NY to visit his girlfriend (also paid by the FA) and committed other serious offences
  • Options
    She is a special person.
    Proud to have her as our manager 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
  • Options
    Mad they didn't get rid of him a year ago when the team all decided to strike because they hated him, then did after they won the World Cup because someone else did something?

All feels really backwards!
  • Options
    It is backwards.
    Because their federation didn’t listen to them before.
    It took them winning the World Cup despite not liking their manager & then the head of their federation to make a total arse of himself in front of the whole world to realise the women were right all along.

Who’d have thunk it 🤷‍♀️🙄

• Options
    It is backwards.
    Because their federation didn’t listen to them before.
    It took them winning the World Cup despite not liking their manager & then the head of their federation to make a total arse of himself in front of the whole world to realise the women were right all along.

Who’d have thunk it 🤷‍♀️🙄

But were they right about the manager?

He has to be given some of the credit for their win, the team selections and subs, and the tactics. Yes they have some great players, but that doesn't automatically produce a great team
  • Options
    The Spanish national team play similar to Barcelona and it's a possession game with slick passing on a good day. 
    They had a good day in the final but a bad day day against Japan when they conceded 4 despite 77% possession.

It does sound a paradox as he managed the winners but his position was untenable after he didn't support the players and the coaches.
  • Options
    Royal Spanish Football Federation president Luis Rubiales announced that he will resign.  He also will resign from his position as vice president of UEFA.

Better late than never.

Let’s see if this is the start of something significant in Spain for women’s football. 
    Now we can concentrate on the world champions 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
  • Options
    Eventually resigned because of the effect it was having on those close to him. Could've probably saved all that by doing it 3 weeks ago.

Rubiales said he spoke to his family and listened to the advice of friends.

"My father, my daughters, I spoke with them - they know it's not a question about me - and some friends very close to me said to me 'Luis, you need to focus on your dignity and to continue your life because if not, you are going to damage people you love and the sport you love'," Rubiales said.

"This was a question of not only me. An attitude towards me can affect third parties [that are] very important. It was the intelligent thing that I had to do."