Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Own up, who left??

Comments

• Options
    Can't really blame anybody for leaving when you go 4-2 down in the 94th minute!
  • Options
    I did after they scored the 3rd. Wanted to make sure I would get the train before the mass of Ipswich fans. When 8 realised that had scored thought I was justified in leaving early for the first time in over a seasob. While the platform people saying 4 -4 thought they were taking the piss
    Well done to those who stayed 9 mins longer than me. May be I should leave early more often.
  • Options
    Was going out to a party and always planned to leave straight on final whistle to beat them to London bound trains.  When the fourth went in thought, sod it, might as well get going now.  Heard our third just outside ground but was a muted cheer.  Fourth went in half way up Floyd road and scenes as everyone realised what had happened.  Wish I hadn’t been going out and had stayed but still a great feeling at the station 
  • Options
    I left at 2-3. First time I have gone early in 42 years. I left because I had to meet a mate and family in town and didn't want to be late. Am pissed off tbh, all the shit we have to sit through. Anyway lesson learned, people can look after themselves now!
  • Options
    Never left a Charlton game early in over 30 years now (2-0 Millwall, Upton Park, October 1992) and that yesterday is the reason why you see it through to the bitter end. 

From the Garner sending off to the start of injury time they deserved a point, so if they had have lost that they at least deserved a round of applause for just that alone 
  • Options
    I just can't leave a game early. To me its like leaving before the end of a play. I have to see the full theatre. The result, yes, but also the joy and misery, the reactions of the players and the crowd are all part of the event, even the atmosphere on the train home.

It's tight this year but I believe Garner has enough about him to get us to the play offs. 
  • Options
    I stayed to the end  - mainly with the intention of letting the referee know what a great job he'd done...
    It was insane, going mental and cuddling complete strangers.  My 13 y/o son said he felt euphoric.  I told him that very occasionally you get days like this down at the Valley. 
    There were still quite a few Ipswich fans in the Jimmy Seed, presumably just stunned by what they'd witnessed. 
    As good as that Cardiff night game a few years back. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    Never left a Charlton game early in over 30 years now (2-0 Millwall, Upton Park, October 1992) 
    What game , I don’t recall us ever having late injury time drama in our favour against the scum
    March 1992 we beat them 1-0 and John Hendrie scored 5 or so mins from the end of normal time .
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Never left a Charlton game early in over 30 years now (2-0 Millwall, Upton Park, October 1992) 
    What game , I don’t recall us ever having late injury time drama in our favour against the scum
    March 1992 we beat them 1-0 and John Hendrie scored 5 or so mins from the end of normal time .
    Read it again
  • Options
    I unplugged the HDMI lead from the tele. Took the laptop to my desk, turned off the sound but carried on watching for some reason. So pleased I did. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    Read it again
    your first game (we lost 0-2 against millwall) ?
    I was thinking you’d left and missed some action 30 years ago and weren’t gonna make that mistake again .

also had you down as someone who’d been going longer than that , you appear more mature than your age (unless you were a late starter)

• Options
    I started in 93 so just missed that win over Millwall, but just looked up the hendry bloke who scored the winner. Very short career and hardly any goals but managed to score 2 in a Rare derby win for Spurs over Arsenal, and our only goal in a even much, much rarer win over the scum. Seems like a wasted career for a big game player!

• Options
    edited October 2022
    I never leave before the end, except yesterday and it was an easy decision to make. The players heads all dropped at 3-2 and they let another one in quickly after. A one goal deficit and I’d had stayed to the bitter end. At 2 goals behind and time added on just about used up then there was no point watching a team that looked like they have thrown the towel in. The 3 thousand Ipswich fans were staying put still and that gave those of us wanting to get a train without queuing outside the station for half an hour a window of opportunity. Outside in Floyd Road it was obvious about half the Charlton crowd had reached the same conclusion. I suspect, however, it was the sight of those of us that got off our arses to walk that may well have been the catalyst for the players to have one last go and once they’d got a goal another effort after that - to those that stayed, no need to thank us, you are welcome. 
  • Options
    Left on their 4th, heard our 3rd go in from the gents, heard our 4th outside turnstiles. Charged back in through open NWD gates to catch celebrations and final whistle. Will never leave again.
  • Options

And you  was where? can hardly take the piss can you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Who am I taking the piss out of 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    I couldn’t get to game due to prior family arrangements so did the next best thing and watched it live on Charlton TV (the whole of the game ) 
  • Options
    Thanks for posting this guinessaddick.  Doesn’t matter how many times I watch it!
  • Options
    Acab said:
    I left Huddersfield game at 1-5 in 1957. With 60,000
    for those interested I Just received an email from my Norwich city supporting brother in law.
    He did a follow-up on the 1957 game and discovered that in the Huddersfield side were: 

Sandy Kennon – NCFC legend from 1959 Cup run and all-round contributor to Norfolk life for next 40 years (cricketer for Ingham and NCCC, light opera singer and bookmaker in Stalham!!) – met him a couple of times and found him a very nice man; sadly, suffered from Alzheimer’s in later years

Ray Wilson – World Cup 1966 etc

Ken Taylor – Yorkshire and England cricketer and, after retiring from professional sport, Art teacher at Gresham’s for 30 years

Bill McGarry – later manager of Ipswich

Not star-studded but an interesting collection of characters!

• Options
    I left at 2-4 with 90 seconds left.
    It's virtually impossible to score 2 in 90 seconds.

Fortunately, the ref played a minimum 9 mins added as opposed to 6.
    I heard the 3rd goal in Harvey Gardens & 4th in Pound Park.

I was dead chuffed & not too fussed, because you know you can see the goals within the hour. 
  • Options
    I started in 93 so just missed that win over Millwall, but just looked up the hendry bloke who scored the winner. Very short career and hardly any goals but managed to score 2 in a Rare derby win for Spurs over Arsenal, and our only goal in a even much, much rarer win over the scum. Seems like a wasted career for a big game player!

I was at that game. As soon as it left his boot you knew it was going in. Wish that had been recorded on video somewhere.
  • Options
    Acab said:
    I left Huddersfield game at 1-5 in 1957. With 60,000
    for those interested I Just received an email from my Norwich city supporting brother in law.
    He did a follow-up on the 1957 game and discovered that in the Huddersfield side were: 

Sandy Kennon – NCFC legend from 1959 Cup run and all-round contributor to Norfolk life for next 40 years (cricketer for Ingham and NCCC, light opera singer and bookmaker in Stalham!!) – met him a couple of times and found him a very nice man; sadly, suffered from Alzheimer’s in later years

Ray Wilson – World Cup 1966 etc

Ken Taylor – Yorkshire and England cricketer and, after retiring from professional sport, Art teacher at Gresham’s for 30 years

Bill McGarry – later manager of Ipswich

Not star-studded but an interesting collection of characters!

The Huddersfield Manager that day- none other than Bill Shankly!!
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/6WiPY_bWPoY

Goal build up from 11.30 a thing of pure beauty and ecstasy
  • Options
    I left at 2-4 with 90 seconds left.
    It's virtually impossible to score 2 in 90 seconds.

Fortunately, the ref played a minimum 9 mins added as opposed to 6.
    I heard the 3rd goal in Harvey Gardens & 4th in Pound Park.

I was dead chuffed & not too fussed, because you know you can see the goals within the hour. 
    I left about the same time as you. Despite seeing the goals, that’s nothing to actually being in the ground at the time.