Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Coalville Town | Saturday 5th November 2022 - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic vs Coalville Town
Saturday 5th November 2022 - 3pm Kick-Off
FA Cup First Round

Shepshed Dynamo | Macclesfield | AFC Sudbury | Notts County | Charlton Athletic

All those teams have a common theme in this years version of the FA Cup, which is now into its 142nd year - Its a competition that commenced back on Friday 5th August 2022, just 83-days after Liverpool lifted last seasons trophy... 416 teams entering at the Extra Preliminary Round, 732 teams in total - Of course not all teams expect to get close to Wembley on Saturday 3rd June 2023 - For many like Coalville, even Charlton, we'll each be happy with their own personal targets.

Its David vs Goliath... the Tortoise vs the Hare... One way or another, there will be fireworks this coming Saturday!!

The Opposition
Name: Coalville Town - Manager: Adam Stevens
Ground: Owen Street Sports Ground
League: Southern Premier League Division Central

So the natural question... Who are Coalville Town

Well the beginning is probably the best place to start... The club was established in 1926 as Ravenstone Miner Athletic, and didnt become Coalville until 1995 - This FA Cup campaign wont even go down as their greatest, as in 2004-05 they reached the First Round for the first time in their history losing at Second Division side: Wycombe Wanderers 1-0 - That year they started their run at the very first stage of the Qualifying Rounds, whereas this time round they were able to bypass the first two stages, only entering the competition at the First Qualifying Round.

Naturally Coalville also have a league campaign to think about, and came within 90mins of climbing to the National League North / South for the first time in their history last season - Losing to Peterborough Sports in the Southern League Division Central (bit of a mouthful) Play-Off Final - They have once again started strongly in the League this term, once again sitting in the Play-Off spots, and are more used to facing the likes of Needham Market, a side that our own Ryan Viggars represented on loan this season... Not that there will be anything to separate the two sides come Saturday afternoon - Now of course the odds are heavily stacked against the Ravens, but it is worth remembering they defeated Notts County at Meadow Lane to reach this point of the competition

The 3-2 win (a tie where Coalville were never behind) is just the second game that Notts have lost this season, in all competitions!!

Fun Fact: Charlton have faced 21 Non-League sides in the FA Cup, Windsor & Eton FC the first in 1925, losing 4-2 at the Valley... Now those with better access to records may be able to prove me wrong. But it appears that when Coalville visit on Saturday, they will potentially become the lowest League side we have ever faced in any competition.

Charlton Team News
Now I doubt it'll surprise many if there are wholesale changes to the Addicks team on Saturday - The FA Cup can throw up a number of surprises regardless of squad strength (Northwich Victoria flashbacks intensify), however we should no doubt expect to see another mixture of Senior players who need the minutes (Lavelle and Thomas could be given more game together at centre-back). Whilst there will be equal opportunity for youth prospects to show that its pointless looking to the Transfer Market in January, when we already have options within the hierarchy of the Academy.

Both Ryan Inniss and Sean Clare should be serving one game suspensions for this tie - So our options at Full-Back will be rather limited.

MacGillivray
Chin - Lavelle - Thomas - Dench
Henry - Forster-Caskey - McGrandles
Payne - Stockley - Campbell

Substitutes Bench: Kone - Mitchell - Morgan - Anderson - Rylah - Kirk - Kanu - Casey

Comments

• Options
    Any non Charlton fan who doesn’t want Coalville to win either has no soul or bears a grudge.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I'd like to see us play something close to a first team. Not sure the midfield from last night will all start again - Dobson and Fraser have both had a rest, would expect at least one of them to come back in
    I'd prefer to keep them back for the Stevenage game next Tuesday - Difficult one as we dont want them to get rusty, having had a week and a half off - But no offence to Coalville, dont really want to risk a player getting injured because of a mistimed tackle
  • Options
    expect blood and thunder, kamikaze, Rugby rucks and cavalry charges from Coalville as they are watched by half the town's population dahn sarf for a day out ..
    I'd like to see our team as strong as possible as we could do with a good cup run as a change from the ups and downs of League One fare .. whoever is selected they'll need to be right up for it .. as said above, Coalville will be taking no prisoners

CAFC 3 v Coalville Town 1

• Options
    I’m expecting a fairly strong team which has been the theme for league and fa cups during TS’s reign.  Aside from the ones who struggle with the Tuesday/Saturday schedule.

We win, 3-1
  • Options
    i think and hope we'll put out a stronger team than FA's. Also expect Aneke on the bench incase things going wrong.
  • Options
    I expect Garner to name a team capable of beating Coalville. The away side will have the crowd advantage despite it being our home tie, but the players should have enough quality about them to overcome the boost that will give them and emerge victorious. I think it'll be a cheap Saturday afternoon goal fest.

We win, 7-2
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Latest from my friend at Coalville 1600 sold and counting!
  • Options
    FA Cup First Round

All those teams have a common theme in this years version of the FA Cup, which is now into its 142nd year - 
    152nd year, no?
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    FA Cup First Round

All those teams have a common theme in this years version of the FA Cup, which is now into its 142nd year - 
    152nd year, no?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022–23_FA_Cup

There was no competition from 1916-1919 and 1940-1945
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Thanks, just that I was very impressed (misled 😉) when they celebrated 150 years of the FA Cup recently. Anyway, good preview.
  • Options
    Fair play to Coalville fans, thats a cracking following! 

However....I hope we send them home all sad :smiley: Wont begrudge them a goal aslong as we are way in front!

4-1 Charlton. Fair few first teamers playing and we push towards the 3rd round and a potential premier league team at home and some wonga coming in.
  • Options
    Suspect Aneke will almost certainly be on the bench.

Garner will want him up his sleeve if we look like being on the end of one of our usual cup upsets.
  • Options
    Suspect Aneke will almost certainly be on the bench.

Garner will want him up his sleeve if we look like being on the end of one of our usual cup upsets.
    Aneke off the bench against tiring part timers, could be carnage! 
  • Options
    Gonna be a disappointment for them when they get to the Valley and realize they're over 50% of the total attendance.
  • Options
    0-9 to the miners (guessing the clues in the name like)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I want Aneke nowhere near the side on Saturday. Coalville will be so up for this game that i'm sure they'll be a lot of industrial challenges flying about
  • Options
    Out of interest would people expect a stronger team against Stevenage during the week than Saturday?
  • Options
    Out of interest would people expect a stronger team against Stevenage during the week than Saturday?
    One game at a time.

Put out your best team you can & win the tie. Yes, rest a few players but with the current injuries & suspensions we have we will already be playing 2 or 3 "youngsters". Its a perfect game to play Kirk, Payne, Macgrandels, JFC, Henry, Chin. I agree with keeping Aneke on the bench....but he'll still score more than Stockley will. 

Although I do feel that this is epic banana skin time, you usually find the non League side tire after 70 mins & our better players should be able to take advantage.....even if its only in the 99th minute 🙂.

4-1.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

Is that our official CAFC FA Cup promotional video?
  • Options
    Think we will be fairly strong all things considered. Stockley needs a goal or two to give him a boost. We also don’t want too many players going too long without a game and although we are playing on Tuesday, we also have the league just a few days after that so a week to prepare with most of the players who will play in the league will be more ideal.

Coalville will put up a good fight but they will inevitably tire. We will go on and score maybe another 3 and make the scoreline more respectable for us but a bit harsh on them.

Charlton Athletic 5-0 Coalville Town
    Stockley
    Campbell
    Kanu
    Payne
    Aneke
  • Options
    It'll be Northwich all over again. 0-1 and we have Clare sent off for a mindless foul.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!