Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Qatar World Cup - Non Football Related Thread

Comments

• Options
    When do you arrive @cafctom and how long you out there for?

Apart from @Chris_from_Sidcup @DubaiCAFC and @QatarNapsy is anyone else going out there? 

• Options

Apart from @Chris_from_Sidcup @DubaiCAFC and @QatarNapsy is anyone else going out there? 

I arrive Sunday night mate. And I’ll be there until the day after England vs Wales - so 10 days in total. 
  • Options

Yeah, I'm giving it a @swerve
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    I’m part of the England supporters club Facebook group, and a Qatar based England fan has done a brilliant job of keeping people informed of the goings on in Doha - mostly related to things you can expect once you get out there - activities, transport, customs etc. 

He’s put together a list of 69 different outlets in downtown Doha that serve alcohol to fans (all at fairly reasonable prices, happy hour deals etc). With the exchange rate you’re maybe looking at London prices for a beer or slightly higher in a lot of places. The Fan Zone is where it’s most expensive.

Again, shame to see the mainstream media haven’t been willing to add this sort of balance to their stories today saying it’s a ‘dry tournament’ and that ‘alcohol has been completely banned’ etc. 

The only real change (and I can understand it’s an inconvenient one for some) is that you can’t drink right next door to the stadium. 
    @cafctom sent you a PM
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    all these associations can do one - just don’t go if you are that bothered. That will send the strongest message. 

If you are going, then you accept the laws and lifestyle of the country. 

I don’t go on holiday to Turkey then berate them for slowly turning into a dictatorship. 

all these associations can do one - just don’t go if you are that bothered. That will send the strongest message. 

If you are going, then you accept the laws and lifestyle of the country. 

I don’t go on holiday to Turkey then berate them for slowly turning into a dictatorship. 

I agree entirely. Imposing Western values on an Islamic country is ridiculous and dare I say it, the height of arrogance. It's quite ironic that revisionists who say the Christian missionaries of centuries ago were so terrible for sharing the gospel to indigenous tribes should then say that atheist "values" should be forced on non Western countries. 

When in Rome ... 

Anyone who can't see that a country (like UK) that relentlessly promotes both LGBTQI rights/actions AND Islam is heading for huge conflict is a complete idiot. To my mind the Qatar world cup highlights this coming cultural conflict perfectly. As much as I believe that every person with ssa should be treated with absolute respect and dignity I also agree that a country that retains its faith cannot be told to change that faith and laws based on that faith because foreign atheists with no such values say so. I hope we have seen the last of the deaths of workers associated with this enterprise and that LGBT fans can enjoy the football they go to see in Qatar and all fans can respect the laws of the land they are visiting. 

But that's exactly what we did - the anti-gay laws in a lot of the Middle East were imposed by the West, mainly us I believe, when we used to run the area.

Really? Can you prove this? In the catechism of The Church it stresses that SSA persons should be treated with dignity and respect at all times. In my discussions with Sunni Muslims they say "Mohammed teaches that gays should face death penalty". That is a direct Koranic teaching of Islam and in the Hadiths.  I know we in The West want to destroy ourselves and convince ourselves that we are the most evil people that ever lived but it simply isn't true. We are in for a m a s s I v e shock if we continue this idiocy a moment longer. 

:D brilliant!  
    I don't have the article to hand and I haven't done any research to confirm it so, no, I can't prove it but I read it in a reputable newspaper.  Just because the Koran says 'death to homosexuals' doesn't mean a Muslim country has to have had it enshrined in its laws from the off so it's not unreasonable for this to have happened.

Of course, once it's on the statutes it's going to be difficult to remove seeing as the holy book says it should be so.
  • Options
    There’s been more penalties if you include misses.

In their most recent warm up games, in reverse order:

Albania 0-1 Qatar (one penalty, scored)
    Qatar 2-1 Panama (two penalties, one scored, one missed)
    Qatar 1-0 Honduras (no penalty)
    Qatar 2-0 Guatemala (two penalties, two scored)
    Chile 2-2 Qatar (one penalty, missed)

Five games, six penalties awarded.
    Ah yes, let’s cheat but cheat before it matters just to draw attention to the fact we are cheating.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    There’s been more penalties if you include misses.

In their most recent warm up games, in reverse order:

Albania 0-1 Qatar (one penalty, scored)
    Qatar 2-1 Panama (two penalties, one scored, one missed)
    Qatar 1-0 Honduras (no penalty)
    Qatar 2-0 Guatemala (two penalties, two scored)
    Chile 2-2 Qatar (one penalty, missed)

Five games, six penalties awarded.

Merry Christmas to those refs. They can treat themselves to "some bling" and fast cars 
  • Options

The 0% Beer Monster @Stewart is going over next week.
  • Options
    This new ruling could result in thousands of fans drinking in designated fan zones away from the stadiums then tens of thousands turning up minutes before kick off. Recipe for disaster imo
    Most of the stadiums only hold 40,000 and there is huge open space around each of them. 

Once you take out the corporate etc, there won’t be ‘tens of thousands’ going to the ground all at once. In fact what was the England fan allocation for each game? 5-10k?

Not everyone that goes is a raging bald headed piss head. South Korea doesn’t have a big drinking culture and their stadiums where bigger. No problems whatsoever.
    They have a massive drinking culture, have you been there?
  • Options
    This new ruling could result in thousands of fans drinking in designated fan zones away from the stadiums then tens of thousands turning up minutes before kick off. Recipe for disaster imo
    Most of the stadiums only hold 40,000 and there is huge open space around each of them. 

Once you take out the corporate etc, there won’t be ‘tens of thousands’ going to the ground all at once. In fact what was the England fan allocation for each game? 5-10k?

Not everyone that goes is a raging bald headed piss head. South Korea doesn’t have a big drinking culture and their stadiums where bigger. No problems whatsoever.
    As do the Japanese, and right through society. 
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    When the world Cup ends, what will be the purpose of the stadiums?

Will they at least be used for something? Something that will benefit or help a cause?

They don't like football and it's culture. 

Thousands of people died just so that Qatar can host a tournament of 4 weeks worth of football. 
    Same as every World Cup. White elephants. See Brazil and South Africa. 
  • Options
    Knew the moment Blatter was replaced that FIFA had done nothing but re-arrange the deckchairs.

BBC News - World Cup 2022: Fifa president Gianni Infantino accuses West of 'hypocrisy' 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    If there was any doubt what a twat Infantino is he's proving it at the Press Conference. Plenty of offensive and out of touch comments.
    Just seen a clip. Unbelievable. Europeans should be apologising for the next 3,000 years over what they have been doing for the past 3,000 years? Really?

I dunno about you lot, but I wasn't alive 3,000 years ago and so have absolutely nothing to apologise for . 

FIFA on the other hand - an organisation based in the most secretive of European countries, coincidence? - have plenty to be apologising for. The sanctimonious c***!
    The excuses people are making for this world cup are very tiresome. 
  • Options
    "Sepp Blatter wanted to give the World Cup to Russia and then the US because he thought this would win him a Nobel Peace Prize. Infantino seems to be suffering from a similar case of oleaginous bald Swiss saviour complex. Here is a man so laughably blind to his own hypocrisy it feels at times like a brilliantly realised piece of performance art."
  • Options

As do the Japanese, and right through society. 
    No surprises there, Japanese beer is amazing!
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Off_it said:
    If there was any doubt what a twat Infantino is he's proving it at the Press Conference. Plenty of offensive and out of touch comments.
    Just seen a clip. Unbelievable. Europeans should be apologising for the next 3,000 years over what they have been doing for the past 3,000 years? Really?

I dunno about you lot, but I wasn't alive 3,000 years ago and so have absolutely nothing to apologise for . 

FIFA on the other hand - an organisation based in the most secretive of European countries, coincidence? - have plenty to be apologising for. The sanctimonious c***!
    The excuses people are making for this world cup are very tiresome. 
    We don’t have to make excuses. 
    You can disagree with the decision to hold it there, whilst looking forward to the tournament.  I for one can’t wait for first game tomorrow. 
    You're not the president of FIFA. 🤨
  • Options
    Off_it said:

@Redmidland what you got to say for yourself :-) 
    Twunt!!!!!  :D:D
  • Options
    I do find it absurd that FIFA/Infantino gives off all this spill about us (Europe) of hypocrisy when even the basic thing of banning alcohol in and around the stadiums is only aimed at the so called average fan where as in the corporate areas they can drink as much as they like.