Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Qatar World Cup - Non Football Related Thread

Comments

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Redhenry said:
    Qatar Bans Beer Sales at World Cup Stadiums

By Tariq Panja

(New York Times) -- The about-face on alcohol, in violation of a multimillion-dollar FIFA sponsorship agreement, signaled soccer’s governing body may no longer be in full control of its showcase event.

DOHA, Qatar — Beer is out at the World Cup.

In an abrupt and stunning about-face, Qatari officials have decided that the only alcohol that will be on sale to fans at stadiums during the monthlong World Cup that begins on Sunday will be nonalcoholic.

The decision on beer sales was confirmed on Friday morning by a World Cup official familiar with the change in plans. The official asked not to be named because they were not authorized to speak with the news media, and because Qatar was still preparing its official announcement on Friday morning.

The move is the latest and most dramatic change to an evolving alcohol plan that has for months increased tensions between FIFA, soccer’s global governing body, and Qatar, a conservative Muslim nation where the sale of alcohol is tightly controlled. But it also will complicate FIFA’s $75 million sponsorship agreement with Budweiser; infuriate fans already chafing at restrictions; and once again leave organizers scrambling to adjust — this time only 48 hours before the tournament’s opening game.

But it also suggested that FIFA, which has faced years of blistering criticism for its decision to bring its showpiece championship to Qatar, may no longer be in full control of major decisions related to its event.

The ban on alcohol sales to fans at stadiums — beer will still be available in luxury suites reserved for FIFA officials and other wealthy guests — comes a week after an earlier edict that dozens of red beer tents bearing Budweiser’s branding be moved to more discrete locations at the World Cup’s eight stadiums, away from where most of the crowds attending games would pass.

Qatar has grappled with the subject of alcohol every since the tiny Gulf nation was awarded World Cup hosting rights in 2010. Alcohol is available in the country, but sales are strictly controlled; most visitors, even before the World Cup, were only permitted to buy beer and other alcoholic beverages in upscale hotel bars and at unusually high prices.

World Cup organizers declined to comment on the new plan for alcohol on Friday. Representatives for Budweiser, who had said last week that they were blindsided to Qatar’s earlier changes to their sales strategy for the World Cup, did not immediately reply to requests for comment.

Last week, Qatari organizers tried to play down the rising tension over beer sales, a fixture of World Cups for generations, by saying operational plans were still being finalized, and that changes were still being made in “the location of certain fan areas.” Its statement also noted that “pouring times and the number of pouring destinations” remained the same at all eight stadiums.

Budweiser, which pays FIFA the $75 million for each four-year World Cup cycle, had said it was working with organizers “to relocate the concession outlets to locations as directed.”

Friday’s newest plan means the brewer’s red tents now may not be visible at all around stadiums; unbranded white replacements are being considered. Refrigerators in the company’s famous red colors are likely to be replaced by blue ones, the color associated with Budweiser’s nonalcoholic brand, Budweiser Zero.

I thought the 'no beer in stadiums, only in hospitality suites' had been known for weeks. It was to me anyway. Not sure this is the revelation that news outlets seem to think it is.
    That was how I understood it as well, but you could drink in the out perimeter - but now I don't think you can. That's the bit banned.  
    "Friday’s newest plan means the brewer’s red tents now may not be visible at all around stadiums; unbranded white replacements are being considered. Refrigerators in the company’s famous red colors are likely to be replaced by blue ones, the color associated with Budweiser’s nonalcoholic brand, Budweiser Zero."

I assume perimeter drinking is still permitted just no advertisement allowed from Budweiser. 

This is basically a rehash of the plan we knew last weekend but from a new paper. 
    Apparently it is going to be no drink even within the perimeter.. I still think this might change. but lets see
    Yes seems that is going to be the case now, all becoming a bit of a farce.

To be honest, the 'no beer' isn't even the issue, i'm sure people will survive 2-3 hours without a drink especially when it's Budweiser, but it's just the complete joke of them forcing through a change 48 hours before the tournament starts. Something which they've had about 10 years to do, and they do it now. Pricks.
    Having said that now, a lot of media outlets have changed the wording to 'concourse' they won't be selling, which is what I thought it was anyway! 

Pretty sure we won't find out until the first game... 
    Yeah i'm not going out there until the USA game so we'll know by then what's going on.
  • Options
    No alcohol in the stadium perimeter on religious grounds. Unless you’vw got the money to pay 20 grand for a ticket, then help yourself!

If someone’s writing a book on all this it might be called “How Not To Do Sportswashing”.
    Not sure why they just wouldn't put it in to a certain area, and have for non-Muslims like they do for the pork rooms here in Dubai
  • Options
    What an utterly miserable world cup.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    No alcohol in the stadium perimeter on religious grounds. Unless you’vw got the money to pay 20 grand for a ticket, then help yourself!

If someone’s writing a book on all this it might be called “How Not To Do Sportswashing”.
    Not sure why they just wouldn't put it in to a certain area, and have for non-Muslims like they do for the pork rooms here in Dubai
    'Pork Rooms', is that another name for  brothel?
    Plenty of them... 
  • Options
    Japan and South Korea weren't footballing countries and had a great tournament. South Korea can probably be considered a footballing country these days. If the world cup was only to be played at footballing countries it will only be played in Europe and South America. It was great to have it in South Africa.

However, you should be bothered by the other stuff  in Qatar.
    That’s utter nonsense. Both had professional football leagues and both had played in previous world cups. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Plenty of them... 
    so the sale of women is fine but if you want a low alcoholic beverage well that's unforgivable. 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Plenty of them... 
    so the sale of women is fine but if you want a low alcoholic beverage well that's unforgivable. 
    Ahhh but I bet they aren’t Qatari women so it doesn’t count 🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Redhenry said:

By Tariq Panja

(New York Times) -- The about-face on alcohol, in violation of a multimillion-dollar FIFA sponsorship agreement, signaled soccer’s governing body may no longer be in full control of its showcase event.

In an abrupt and stunning about-face, Qatari officials have decided that the only alcohol that will be on sale to fans at stadiums during the monthlong World Cup that begins on Sunday will be nonalcoholic.

The decision on beer sales was confirmed on Friday morning by a World Cup official familiar with the change in plans. The official asked not to be named because they were not authorized to speak with the news media, and because Qatar was still preparing its official announcement on Friday morning.

The move is the latest and most dramatic change to an evolving alcohol plan that has for months increased tensions between FIFA, soccer’s global governing body, and Qatar, a conservative Muslim nation where the sale of alcohol is tightly controlled. But it also will complicate FIFA’s $75 million sponsorship agreement with Budweiser; infuriate fans already chafing at restrictions; and once again leave organizers scrambling to adjust — this time only 48 hours before the tournament’s opening game.

But it also suggested that FIFA, which has faced years of blistering criticism for its decision to bring its showpiece championship to Qatar, may no longer be in full control of major decisions related to its event.

The ban on alcohol sales to fans at stadiums — beer will still be available in luxury suites reserved for FIFA officials and other wealthy guests — comes a week after an earlier edict that dozens of red beer tents bearing Budweiser’s branding be moved to more discrete locations at the World Cup’s eight stadiums, away from where most of the crowds attending games would pass.

Qatar has grappled with the subject of alcohol every since the tiny Gulf nation was awarded World Cup hosting rights in 2010. Alcohol is available in the country, but sales are strictly controlled; most visitors, even before the World Cup, were only permitted to buy beer and other alcoholic beverages in upscale hotel bars and at unusually high prices.

World Cup organizers declined to comment on the new plan for alcohol on Friday. Representatives for Budweiser, who had said last week that they were blindsided to Qatar’s earlier changes to their sales strategy for the World Cup, did not immediately reply to requests for comment.

Last week, Qatari organizers tried to play down the rising tension over beer sales, a fixture of World Cups for generations, by saying operational plans were still being finalized, and that changes were still being made in “the location of certain fan areas.” Its statement also noted that “pouring times and the number of pouring destinations” remained the same at all eight stadiums.

Budweiser, which pays FIFA the $75 million for each four-year World Cup cycle, had said it was working with organizers “to relocate the concession outlets to locations as directed.”

Friday’s newest plan means the brewer’s red tents now may not be visible at all around stadiums; unbranded white replacements are being considered. Refrigerators in the company’s famous red colors are likely to be replaced by blue ones, the color associated with Budweiser’s nonalcoholic brand, Budweiser Zero.

I thought the 'no beer in stadiums, only in hospitality suites' had been known for weeks. It was to me anyway. Not sure this is the revelation that news outlets seem to think it is.
    That was how I understood it as well, but you could drink in the out perimeter - but now I don't think you can. That's the bit banned.  
    "Friday’s newest plan means the brewer’s red tents now may not be visible at all around stadiums; unbranded white replacements are being considered. Refrigerators in the company’s famous red colors are likely to be replaced by blue ones, the color associated with Budweiser’s nonalcoholic brand, Budweiser Zero."

I assume perimeter drinking is still permitted just no advertisement allowed from Budweiser. 

This is basically a rehash of the plan we knew last weekend but from a new paper. 
    I think u will find this is new news, why would the NY Times print it. Always one!
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    IdleHans said:
    Serves FIFA right for having it in Qatar. Serves Budweiser right for sponsoring the Qatari world cup and giving money to FIFA.
    Bet FIFA are feeling awful

• Options
    edited November 2022
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Redhenry said:

By Tariq Panja

Apparently it is going to be no drink even within the perimeter.. I still think this might change. but lets see
    Yes seems that is going to be the case now, all becoming a bit of a farce.

To be honest, the 'no beer' isn't even the issue, i'm sure people will survive 2-3 hours without a drink especially when it's Budweiser, but it's just the complete joke of them forcing through a change 48 hours before the tournament starts. Something which they've had about 10 years to do, and they do it now. Pricks.
    I’ve gone 64 years without drinking the cat piss that is Budweiser, not doing it for three hours wouldn’t be an imposition.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Plenty of them... 
    I'm guessing this is linked to the human rights issues out there. Classy.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Plenty of them... 
    Ahhh but I bet they aren’t Qatari women so it doesn’t count 🤷‍♀️
    I think you meant “in Qatar, they are women so they don’t count“.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Serves FIFA right for having it in Qatar. Serves Budweiser right for sponsoring the Qatari world cup and giving money to FIFA.

They might not feel so great if they have to give Budweiser  their $75 million back. 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

They might not feel so great if they have to give Budweiser  their $75 million back. 
    Will they notice it?
  • Options
    Budweiser are probably glad of the attention. A few thousand unsold pints of their peewater won't make much difference 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    After much thought, I have decicded to set up in direct competition with the Fake World Cup in Qatar by extracting my old Subbuteo teams from the loft and putting them on a pitch laid carefully in a sand pit installed at vast expense in a greenhouse in the garden.

It looks pretty rubbish to be honest but no labourers were killed in the construction process due to being forced to work in inhumane conditions or undertake manual work outside in excessive heat (unlikely in the UK in November - even in the greenhouse). What's more, gay people are very welcome and if anyone wants to take some snapshots or selfies they will not be cautioned by Mrs G or threatened  by any quasi-facist militia from the local bowling club.

I  have also obtained exclusive marketing rights to blu-tak some slightly crumpled old pictures of David Beckham on the glass walls of the greenhouse for added atmosphere.  Warm tins of Budweiser (official greenhouse sponsors) will be on sale between 6.30 pm and 6.32 pm on Saturdays for the special price of £10.99. Warm coca-cola will also be available and Under-16s will qualify for a special 10% discount if they are already clinically obese.

I did ask Mr Sepp Blatter , formerly of the FA,  to open the event but apparently he is too busy drinking vintage champagne and snorting exotic substances in a six star hotel in the middle east to worry about modest grass roots football events like mine.

I even have some broken Airfix models to replicate Qatar Airways of course- they are the worst airline in the world, by some distance - including those early Chinese airlines from the 1990s with no pilots and Monarch who were really really bad.

Tickets from only £1,345-00 which includes accommodation in an old shipping container in a nearby pub car park and one complimentary bottle of Ambre Solaire sun tan lotion.

Just pm me for details of the full rip off.

A well-composed response to the Qatar world cup. Lost it a bit with the curious "fascist militia at the local bowls club". I know it's de rigeur to hate ourselves and especially our elderly in this age but my experience of local bowls clubs is very positive and seeing elderly people staying active is really good. 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    South Korea, 2002
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    all these associations can do one - just don’t go if you are that bothered. That will send the strongest message. 

If you are going, then you accept the laws and lifestyle of the country. 

I don’t go on holiday to Turkey then berate them for slowly turning into a dictatorship. 

all these associations can do one - just don’t go if you are that bothered. That will send the strongest message. 

I don’t go on holiday to Turkey then berate them for slowly turning into a dictatorship. 

I agree entirely. Imposing Western values on an Islamic country is ridiculous and dare I say it, the height of arrogance. It's quite ironic that revisionists who say the Christian missionaries of centuries ago were so terrible for sharing the gospel to indigenous tribes should then say that atheist "values" should be forced on non Western countries. 

When in Rome ... 

Anyone who can't see that a country (like UK) that relentlessly promotes both LGBTQI rights/actions AND Islam is heading for huge conflict is a complete idiot. To my mind the Qatar world cup highlights this coming cultural conflict perfectly. As much as I believe that every person with ssa should be treated with absolute respect and dignity I also agree that a country that retains its faith cannot be told to change that faith and laws based on that faith because foreign atheists with no such values say so. I hope we have seen the last of the deaths of workers associated with this enterprise and that LGBT fans can enjoy the football they go to see in Qatar and all fans can respect the laws of the land they are visiting. 

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

I agree entirely. Imposing Western values on an Islamic country is ridiculous and dare I say it, the height of arrogance. It's quite ironic that revisionists who say the Christian missionaries of centuries ago were so terrible for sharing the gospel to indigenous tribes should then say that atheist "values" should be forced on non Western countries. 

When in Rome ... 

Anyone who can't see that a country (like UK) that relentlessly promotes both LGBTQI rights/actions AND Islam is heading for huge conflict is a complete idiot. To my mind the Qatar world cup highlights this coming cultural conflict perfectly. As much as I believe that every person with ssa should be treated with absolute respect and dignity I also agree that a country that retains its faith cannot be told to change that faith and laws based on that faith because foreign atheists with no such values say so. I hope we have seen the last of the deaths of workers associated with this enterprise and that LGBT fans can enjoy the football they go to see in Qatar and all fans can respect the laws of the land they are visiting. 

No such thing as Atheist values.

Also, this is very much worth remembering, nobody is born religious or 'with faith'.
  • Options
    After much thought, I have decicded to set up in direct competition with the Fake World Cup in Qatar by extracting my old Subbuteo teams from the loft and putting them on a pitch laid carefully in a sand pit installed at vast expense in a greenhouse in the garden.

It looks pretty rubbish to be honest but no labourers were killed in the construction process due to being forced to work in inhumane conditions or undertake manual work outside in excessive heat (unlikely in the UK in November - even in the greenhouse). What's more, gay people are very welcome and if anyone wants to take some snapshots or selfies they will not be cautioned by Mrs G or threatened  by any quasi-facist militia from the local bowling club.

I  have also obtained exclusive marketing rights to blu-tak some slightly crumpled old pictures of David Beckham on the glass walls of the greenhouse for added atmosphere.  Warm tins of Budweiser (official greenhouse sponsors) will be on sale between 6.30 pm and 6.32 pm on Saturdays for the special price of £10.99. Warm coca-cola will also be available and Under-16s will qualify for a special 10% discount if they are already clinically obese.

I did ask Mr Sepp Blatter , formerly of the FA,  to open the event but apparently he is too busy drinking vintage champagne and snorting exotic substances in a six star hotel in the middle east to worry about modest grass roots football events like mine.

I even have some broken Airfix models to replicate Qatar Airways of course- they are the worst airline in the world, by some distance - including those early Chinese airlines from the 1990s with no pilots and Monarch who were really really bad.

Tickets from only £1,345-00 which includes accommodation in an old shipping container in a nearby pub car park and one complimentary bottle of Ambre Solaire sun tan lotion.

Just pm me for details of the full rip off.

A well-composed response to the Qatar world cup. Lost it a bit with the curious "fascist militia at the local bowls club". I know it's de rigeur to hate ourselves and especially our elderly in this age but my experience of local bowls clubs is very positive and seeing elderly people staying active is really good. 
    So the only bit you found troubling in my post was a potentially.unfair portrayal of English bowls clubs ?
  • Options
    Curious if FIFA can find a more ridiculous place to host the World Cup going forward. The whole thing is laughable and wrong on so many levels.

Obviously money had nothing to do with the choice.
  • Options
    Curious if FIFA can find a more ridiculous place to host the World Cup going forward. The whole thing is laughable and wrong on so many levels.

Are the martians putting in a bid? I'll compromise and have it on the moon. About time a proper sport was played there instead of golf. 
  • Options

Are the martians putting in a bid? I'll compromise and have it on the moon. About time a proper sport was played there instead of golf. 
    Sounds like a good idea. They have a massive football culture like Qatar.
  • Options
    updated version from NY Times

By Tariq Panja

(New York Times) -- The about-face on alcohol could violate a
    multimillion-dollar FIFA sponsorship agreement, and signaled that soccer’s
    governing body may no longer be in full control of its showcase event.

DOHA, Qatar — Beer is out at World Cup stadiums.

In an abrupt about-face, Qatari officials have decided that the only drinks
    that will be on sale to fans at games during the monthlong World Cup will be
    nonalcoholic.

The decision, which came two days before the tournament’s opening match on
    Sunday, was confirmed on Friday by FIFA, the tournament’s owner.

“Following discussions between host country authorities and FIFA, a decision
    has been made to focus the sale of alcoholic beverages on the FIFA Fan
    Festival, other fan destinations and licensed venues,” FIFA announced. The
    decision, it said, would mean “removing sales points of beer from Qatar’s FIFA
    World Cup 2022 stadium perimeters.”

The ban on beer is the latest and most dramatic change to an evolving alcohol
    plan that has for months increased tensions between FIFA, soccer’s global
    governing body, and Qatar, a conservative Muslim nation where the sale of
    alcohol is tightly controlled. But it also will complicate FIFA’s $75 million
    sponsorship agreement with Budweiser; infuriate fans already chafing at
    restrictions, costs and inconveniences around the event; and once again leave
    organizers scrambling to adjust in the final hours before the tournament
    begins.

But it also suggested that FIFA, which has faced years of blistering criticism
    for its decision to bring its showpiece championship to Qatar, may no longer
    be in full control of major decisions related to its event. A decade ago, for
    example, the soccer body pressured Brazil for just the opposite outcome:
    leaning on the Brazilian government to change a law in order to allow beer to
    be sold in stadiums, a practice that had been banned in Brazil since 2003.

In Qatar, FIFA has instead bowed to the demands of the host country. That
    raised the possibility that other promises that run counter to local laws and
    customs — including issues like press freedom, street protests and the rights
    of LGBTQ+ visitors — were not as rock-solid as Qatar and FIFA have said.

The Football Supporters’ Association, a fan advocacy group based in Britain,
    criticized the decision.

“Some fans like a beer at a game and some don’t, but the real issue is the
    last minute U-turn which speaks to a wider problem — the total lack of
    communication and clarity from the organizing committee toward supporters,”
    the group said in a statement.

“If they can change their minds on this at a moment’s notice, with no
    explanation, supporters will have understandable concerns about whether they
    will fulfill other promises relating to accommodation, transport or cultural
    issues.”

The ban on alcohol consumption seemed to apply only to fans attending games.
    Beer and other drinks, including an official FIFA Champagne and an array of
    sommelier-selected wines, will still be available in stadium luxury suites
    reserved for FIFA officials and other wealthy guests.

The decision to ban beer comes a week after an earlier edict that dozens of
    red beer tents bearing Budweiser’s branding be moved to more discreet
    locations at the World Cup’s eight stadiums, away from where most of the
    crowds attending games would pass.

World Cup staff members were told the move followed security advice. But the
    belief that the change had originated with Sheikh Jassim bin Hamad bin Khalifa
    al-Thani — the brother of Qatar’s ruling emir and the royal most active in the
    day-to-day planning of the tournament — suggested it was nonnegotiable.

One official involved in the process said FIFA officials agreed because they
    were concerned that if they did not they risked seeing Budweiser’s concessions
    being shut down entirely.

Qatar has grappled with the subject of alcohol ever since the tiny Gulf nation
    was awarded World Cup hosting rights in 2010. Alcohol is available in the
    country, but sales are strictly controlled. Most visitors, even before the
    World Cup, were permitted to buy beer and other alcoholic beverages only in
    upscale hotel bars and at unusually high prices.

World Cup organizers appeared eager to mollify Budweiser and its corporate
    parent, the Belgium-based multinational Anheuser-Busch InBev, saying,
    “tournament organizers appreciate AB InBev’s understanding and continuous
    support to our joint commitment to cater for everyone.”

Representatives for Budweiser, who had suggested last week that they were
    blindsided by Qatar’s earlier changes to their sales strategy for the World
    Cup, did not immediately reply to requests for comment.

The company’s only public statement was a wry one from its Twitter account,
    which wrote, “Well, this is awkward….” The tweet was deleted about 90 minutes
    later, and just before FIFA’s statement was released.

Last week, Qatari organizers tried to play down the rising tension over beer
    sales, a fixture of World Cups for generations, by saying that operational
    plans were still being finalized, and that changes were still being made in
    “the location of certain fan areas.” Its statement also noted that “pouring
    times and the number of pouring destinations” remained the same at all eight
    stadiums.

Budweiser, which pays FIFA the $75 million for each four-year World Cup cycle,
    had said it was working with organizers “to relocate the concession outlets to
    locations as directed.”

The newest plan means that the brewer’s red tents now may not be visible at
    all around stadiums; unbranded white replacements are being considered.
    Refrigerators in the company’s famous red colors are likely to be replaced by
    blue ones, the color associated with Budweiser’s nonalcoholic brand, Budweiser
    Zero.

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

When in Rome ... 

But that's exactly what we did - the anti-gay laws in a lot of the Middle East were imposed by the West, mainly us I believe, when we used to run the area.