Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Qatar World Cup - Non Football Related Thread

Comments

• Options
    cafctom said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    cafctom said:
    There are happy hours in bars all over Doha that can be booked for daytime drinking. 

I’m going to be in ‘The Red Lion’ prior to England/USA. 
    Thanks for the update Tom. Which hotel?
    I’m staying in an apartment in a block near the West Bay - near the FanZone I think. 
    You just there for the USA game?
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    cafctom said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    cafctom said:
    There are happy hours in bars all over Doha that can be booked for daytime drinking. 

I’m staying in an apartment in a block near the West Bay - near the FanZone I think. 
    You just there for the USA game?
    No mate - there for 10 days / fifteen games. Drop me a message if you want to meet up at any point. 
  • Options

If Carlsberg did piss-ups. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:

As for the ‘fake’ fans clips. Yeah, it’s a bit cringe but all major tournaments have their own quirky (often corporate) things about them that we wouldn’t necessarily expect down The Valley or in club football. 

There are a lot of fans travelling over from India who will be adopting teams to support. 
    Why can't you just accept having the world cup in Qatar is ludicrous 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    cafctom said:

As for the ‘fake’ fans clips. Yeah, it’s a bit cringe but all major tournaments have their own quirky (often corporate) things about them that we wouldn’t necessarily expect down The Valley or in club football. 

There are a lot of fans travelling over from India who will be adopting teams to support. 
    Why can't you just accept having the world cup in Qatar is ludicrous 
    Apologies - didn’t realise we wasn’t allowed to discuss anything in here. 

If I see something (ie - a news headline) that is clearly misleading, and I’ve got a bit of informed knowledge to argue against it (or even just an opinion - god forbid) then I don’t see what’s wrong with that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have a great trip @cafctom

would love you and others to provide regular updates on how it’s going. I’m sure the vast majority of other posters would equally be interested 
    Agree, keep posting and have a great time! 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    cafctom said:

I've heard there's a bar in the Marriott - Champions Bar - which is supposed to be quite decent and good for watching sport. A mate has been to Doha 3-4 times on work trips and has been there a few times.

It's also in West Bay.

@QatarNapsy - is this a decent place or is my mate talking nonsense? Would we need to book to go there during the day?
  • Options
    I think one thing is guaranteed, it’s going to be a hooligan free month of football. Qatari plastic chairs said to be giving off a huge sigh of relief. 
  • Options
    Qatar/UAE has always been expensive for beer (unless you find the sneaky knock-off off-licenses) but let’s remember, thanks to truss etc., I paid £14 for a fucking tin of Heineken in a bar in NYC last week…
  • Options
    £14 sounds like a bargain if it does that. Drink and date all in one!
  • Options
    Each to their own feller
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Qatar/UAE has always been expensive for beer (unless you find the sneaky knock-off off-licenses) but let’s remember, thanks to truss etc., I paid £14 for a fucking tin of Heineken in a bar in NYC last week…
    Fumbluff said:
    If the rate you got was say around 1.18 then that drink cost you $16.52

what was the highest rate last 6month or so - around 1.31?

if so that tin would have cost you £12.61 so not much difference in The grand scheme of things 
  • Options
    Was in Las Vegas last month and a round of 4-5 drinks was costing 60-70 quid minimum. 
  • Options
    After much thought, I have decicded to set up in direct competition with the Fake World Cup in Qatar by extracting my old Subbuteo teams from the loft and putting them on a pitch laid carefully in a sand pit installed at vast expense in a greenhouse in the garden.

It looks pretty rubbish to be honest but no labourers were killed in the construction process due to being forced to work in inhumane conditions or undertake manual work outside in excessive heat (unlikely in the UK in November - even in the greenhouse). What's more, gay people are very welcome and if anyone wants to take some snapshots or selfies they will not be cautioned by Mrs G or threatened  by any quasi-facist militia from the local bowling club.

I  have also obtained exclusive marketing rights to blu-tak some slightly crumpled old pictures of David Beckham on the glass walls of the greenhouse for added atmosphere.  Warm tins of Budweiser (official greenhouse sponsors) will be on sale between 6.30 pm and 6.32 pm on Saturdays for the special price of £10.99. Warm coca-cola will also be available and Under-16s will qualify for a special 10% discount if they are already clinically obese.

I did ask Mr Sepp Blatter , formerly of the FA,  to open the event but apparently he is too busy drinking vintage champagne and snorting exotic substances in a six star hotel in the middle east to worry about modest grass roots football events like mine.

I even have some broken Airfix models to replicate Qatar Airways of course- they are the worst airline in the world, by some distance - including those early Chinese airlines from the 1990s with no pilots and Monarch who were really really bad.

Tickets from only £1,345-00 which includes accommodation in an old shipping container in a nearby pub car park and one complimentary bottle of Ambre Solaire sun tan lotion.

Just pm me for details of the full rip off.

Where do I get press accreditation?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Now you can buy blue ticks on twitter, I can’t wait till the summer transfer thread. The school kids will have a field day.
  • Options
    Now you can buy blue ticks on twitter, I can’t wait till the summer transfer thread. The school kids will have a field day.
    The guy has over 400k followers.

Just put my life savings on draw HT/Qatar FT.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    That story originates from a well known fake news site apparently 
  • Options
    Ecadour?
  • Options
    edited November 2022

@QatarNapsy is this just at the fan park?

I assume people will still be able to get a drink during the day in hotel bars?
    Definately not a country law, so guess it may just be specific to certain fan zones.
    Hotels for sure will be serving all day.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    cafctom said:

I've heard there's a bar in the Marriott - Champions Bar - which is supposed to be quite decent and good for watching sport. A mate has been to Doha 3-4 times on work trips and has been there a few times.

It's also in West Bay.

@QatarNapsy - is this a decent place or is my mate talking nonsense? Would we need to book to go there during the day?
    Yeah Champions is pretty good, but loads of bars around west Bay to choose from. This will give you more of an idea...https://lifeonthewedge.net/2022/10/30/the-best-sports-bars-and-places-to-drink-during-fifa-world-cup-qatar-2022/