Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Match Thread (+POST-MATCH p13): Stevenage v Charlton Athletic | Tues 8 Nov 2022 (League Cup 3rd Rd)

Comments

• I’m sure I saw it before 11.30pm
    still can’t work out what their keeper was up to
    it was hit with the venom of a Martin Sandgaard strike and the keeper didn’t even move as he stood planted and was beaten at the near post from about 15 yards out 
  • Brilliant. Well done for taking the  proper cups seriously Garner. It's what it's about.
  • seth plum said:
    I got the 10.47 Thameslink from Stevenage, as did hundreds of our fans, finally got home to Lee at 4am.

Wow, what happened?
  • Good play from Fraser, JRS and Aneke for the goal. All looking to move forwards and attack with intent.
  • We were truly awful for 80 minutes, had all the possession but zero urgency and no creativity. Subs made a difference but Garner should have changed it earlier. We looked like a completely different team after 80mins, credit to JFC who is a class act and immediately improved us. Finished off by 5 top quality pens, their keeper got nowhere near any of them.

Waited almost an hour for my train home as the northbound line was a nightmare, but into the next round! Hoping for a big prem team, its been far to long since we've had a proper glamour cup tie...
  • @seth plum that’s around the same time I got back from Morecombe away on Tuesday night last season.  At least they got the win for you and all the others that travelled 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    What’s that new shite song that no one knows the words to?
    From what I could make out

Follow follow follow, Charlton Athletic are the team to follow 
    we got innis and egbo 
    albie and Dobbo 
    And Fraser the Scottish pirlo 
    Shoot me now 
    Cant get out my head today either. 
  • Sponsored links:

• We were truly awful for 80 minutes, had all the possession but zero urgency and no creativity. Subs made a difference but Garner should have changed it earlier. We looked like a completely different team after 80mins, credit to JFC who is a class act and immediately improved us. Finished off by 5 top quality pens, their keeper got nowhere near any of them.

Waited almost an hour for my train home as the northbound line was a nightmare, but into the next round! Hoping for a big prem team, its been far to long since we've had a proper glamour cup tie...
    When you bring on 5 subs that all are in the best xi it’s got to help! 
  • Fumbluff said:
    And why does Garner even need to mention those stripy Nigel virgins. 
    Literally nobody wants to play them, I’m hopeful the Geordies destroy them…

The reason we don't want to play the team that is on the Surrey/London boarder in the League cup is the 4-1 defeat by their reserve team on a depressing night on and off the pitch.

Any non League 1 team will do.

• What are the 4th round dates?
  • Fumbluff said:

The reason we don't want to play the team that is on the Surrey/London boarder in the League cup is the 4-1 defeat by their reserve team on a depressing night on and off the pitch.

Although Guy Luzon was "a rabbit in the headlights" that night. It's already obvious that Garner would not be. Garner does his homework, and he's showing more and more that he's done his homework on us, the fans, and our history. 

Anyway Newcastle will stuff them. As Garner says, any draw that gets us excited, is a a good one.
  • MK Dons or Burnley it is then :)
  • edited November 2022
    What are the 4th round dates?
    The Carabao Cup fourth-round fixtures will be scheduled for the week commencing Mon 19 December.
  • seth plum said:
    I got the 10.47 Thameslink from Stevenage, as did hundreds of our fans, finally got home to Lee at 4am.

Wow, what happened?
    He went to Bagleys on the way back then stopped off for a kebab.
  • RedChaser said:
    What are the 4th round dates?
    The Carabao Cup fourth-round fixtures will be scheduled for the week commencing Mon 19 December.
    Hopefully an early Xmas present.
  • Fumbluff said:

Although Guy Luzon was "a rabbit in the headlights" that night. It's already obvious that Garner would not be. Garner does his homework, and he's showing more and more that he's done his homework on us, the fans, and our history. 

Anyway Newcastle will stuff them. As Garner says, any draw that gets us excited, is a a good one.
    Luzon was a disgrace not a rabbit in the headlights. We went into that game in some form and he dropped all our best players to the bench. Local derby and he didn't get it. Worst manager we have had (and I include the smiling moron/laundry basket man who's name I can't even recall!)
  • Sponsored links:

• You know what...looking across the league and  3 cup competitions combined, and setting aside the performances, we actually are rather in the habit of winning football matches. 

the glaring exception in the last two months is of course losing abjectly at home to the bottom of the league side, which naturally was my first game at the Valley for six months.  :s

And while the U21s have sagged a bit in the last couple of months (maybe the best young players haven't been available), the U18 results are positively fearsome. 

If I were an optimist I would suggest that is evidence that the manager is instilling a good mentality and approach which is applied right though the club. I hesitate to suggest that this says anything about other aspects of the club, but I think these are reasons to be cheerful
    Indeed. 12 wins 8 draws and 5 defeats this season in all competitions. Some against lower and non league clubs of course and some on penalties, but nevertheless a 48% win ratio. Very acceptable given all the injuries and key failures in the transfer window up front and at left back. If it were not for the MK result we would all be a lot happier.
  • edited November 2022
    Fumbluff said:

Luzon ……..,,,,,,,,,Worst manager we have had (and I include the smiling moron/laundry basket man who's name I can't even recall!)
    Fromage Fraye (can’t beat a bit of word association) 😉.
  • their GK didn't move for Chuks goal, glad he didn't... but very poor of him
  • edited November 2022
    There was no ‘riot’ on the train. There was banging on the door and somebody broke the communication  with the driver glass by a door.
    CCTV will reveal the truth I presume. The train was stationary for about two hours, with upset, angry and genuinely ill people (need for insulin was one) on it, about 400 of us.
    I need more rest right now, but the ‘taxi’ they called texted me and my group it was on it’s way, but that was from Gatwick. We were the last to be collected because there was over an hour from the text from the Regal Cars cabs which couldn’t find us at first.
    I have their text on my phone.
    On the so called riot, about 20 Transport Police had to get a train 300 meters out of London Bridge to our train, not one arrest was made, or anybody ‘dealt with’, to a man and woman the police were shocked and sympathetic.
    Some people had much worse onward journeys to make than me, to Wales for example, Brighton, Redhill etc etc etc
  • Sounds horrendous Seth.
  • seth plum said:

OMG I listened to the audio , went to sleep at half time to wake up just before Aneke scores.Then too much awake for what followed.
    Salutations to a the true fans
  • redbuttle said:
    seth plum said:

Our train to Peterborough was delayed by an hour..Never mind. Shit performance up until the subs came on.Have to say to respond to comments that Stevenage is a shit hole.  We went to old town and it was really nice. Oh and in response to one of the comments from the London platform. We are definitely Charlton fans. COYRs
    Yes, the old town was ok. Very much a zoned town, with the old town, then the 60s "town centre", then the more modern retail parks.

Hurried back to the station, so was able to get the 22:17 Thameslink to London.
  • clive said:
    Wollacott didn't get near the other 4 penalties, or indeed the one during the game!
  • Southbank said:
    You know what...looking across the league and  3 cup competitions combined, and setting aside the performances, we actually are rather in the habit of winning football matches. 

the glaring exception in the last two months is of course losing abjectly at home to the bottom of the league side, which naturally was my first game at the Valley for six months.  :s

And while the U21s have sagged a bit in the last couple of months (maybe the best young players haven't been available), the U18 results are positively fearsome. 

If I were an optimist I would suggest that is evidence that the manager is instilling a good mentality and approach which is applied right though the club. I hesitate to suggest that this says anything about other aspects of the club, but I think these are reasons to be cheerful
    Indeed. 12 wins 8 draws and 5 defeats this season in all competitions. Some against lower and non league clubs of course and some on penalties, but nevertheless a 48% win ratio. Very acceptable given all the injuries and key failures in the transfer window up front and at left back. If it were not for the MK result we would all be a lot happier.
    Of all the problems we have at the club, the manager is not one of them. I would even go so far as saying that Garner will be in the Championship within a season or two, though (sadly) most likely not as manager of Charlton.