Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread (+POST-MATCH p13): Stevenage v Charlton Athletic | Tues 8 Nov 2022 (League Cup 3rd Rd)

1161718192022»

Comments

• Options
    Only London team left in it
  • Options
    One team in London, there’s only one team in London…
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Spare a thought for the poor natives of Surrey. Their local team lost on penalties Iin Newxastle. Their Sussex rivals won away. Their favoured London team lost to City. 
    How will they cope if United lose tomorrow?
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Southbank said:
    You know what...looking across the league and  3 cup competitions combined, and setting aside the performances, we actually are rather in the habit of winning football matches. 

the glaring exception in the last two months is of course losing abjectly at home to the bottom of the league side, which naturally was my first game at the Valley for six months.  :s

And while the U21s have sagged a bit in the last couple of months (maybe the best young players haven't been available), the U18 results are positively fearsome. 

If I were an optimist I would suggest that is evidence that the manager is instilling a good mentality and approach which is applied right though the club. I hesitate to suggest that this says anything about other aspects of the club, but I think these are reasons to be cheerful
    Indeed. 12 wins 8 draws and 5 defeats this season in all competitions. Some against lower and non league clubs of course and some on penalties, but nevertheless a 48% win ratio. Very acceptable given all the injuries and key failures in the transfer window up front and at left back. If it were not for the MK result we would all be a lot happier.
    Of all the problems we have at the club, the manager is not one of them. I would even go so far as saying that Garner will be in the Championship within a season or two, though (sadly) most likely not as manager of Charlton.

As it's a results business when Chairman and Owners are looking for Managers/Head coaches then the very least Ben Garner will need to achieve is a play off place as all the managers like Howe and Potter etc have achieved promotions and both the above took clubs from the lowest divisions to the top in England and Sweden respectively.

I feel Ben Garner is still learning and the harsh reality of Possession without shots on target are meaningless. We had to wait for super sub Chuks Aneke to draw us level but I agree that Ben Garner is a likeable and passionate coach who wasn't backed enough by the owner though it isn't our money but Thomas Sandgaard must've a twin as the guy who wanted European football in 5 years has gone AWOL. Blowing League 1 out of the water was said to sell season tickets and it worked; selling season tickets not blowing League 1out of the water !

The bottom line is Garner won't get a Championship gig if he isn't successful with Charlton; despite how attractive you try to play.

That's how the football business works.

As mentioned above, his record in all competitions is won 12, drawn 8, lost 5. Our record in the last eight games is won 6, drawn 1, lost 1.

I think that’s better than any of us realised.

We are in the top half, chasing the top six with a run of “easier” games between now and Christmas. Hopefully we can take advantage and be right in the mix when January comes around.
    We do have some so called easier games, but we also need to factor in that half of our defence is injured.

It's probably just about ok with Clare - Inniss - Lavelle - Sess but we're pretty much 1 further injury away from a disaster.
  • Options
    Que sera, sera whatever will be will be, we’re going to Wemberlee, Que sera, sera 😉.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Southbank said:
    You know what...looking across the league and  3 cup competitions combined, and setting aside the performances, we actually are rather in the habit of winning football matches. 

the glaring exception in the last two months is of course losing abjectly at home to the bottom of the league side, which naturally was my first game at the Valley for six months.  :s

And while the U21s have sagged a bit in the last couple of months (maybe the best young players haven't been available), the U18 results are positively fearsome. 

If I were an optimist I would suggest that is evidence that the manager is instilling a good mentality and approach which is applied right though the club. I hesitate to suggest that this says anything about other aspects of the club, but I think these are reasons to be cheerful
    Indeed. 12 wins 8 draws and 5 defeats this season in all competitions. Some against lower and non league clubs of course and some on penalties, but nevertheless a 48% win ratio. Very acceptable given all the injuries and key failures in the transfer window up front and at left back. If it were not for the MK result we would all be a lot happier.
    Of all the problems we have at the club, the manager is not one of them. I would even go so far as saying that Garner will be in the Championship within a season or two, though (sadly) most likely not as manager of Charlton.

As it's a results business when Chairman and Owners are looking for Managers/Head coaches then the very least Ben Garner will need to achieve is a play off place as all the managers like Howe and Potter etc have achieved promotions and both the above took clubs from the lowest divisions to the top in England and Sweden respectively.

I feel Ben Garner is still learning and the harsh reality of Possession without shots on target are meaningless. We had to wait for super sub Chuks Aneke to draw us level but I agree that Ben Garner is a likeable and passionate coach who wasn't backed enough by the owner though it isn't our money but Thomas Sandgaard must've a twin as the guy who wanted European football in 5 years has gone AWOL. Blowing League 1 out of the water was said to sell season tickets and it worked; selling season tickets not blowing League 1out of the water !

The bottom line is Garner won't get a Championship gig if he isn't successful with Charlton; despite how attractive you try to play.

That's how the football business works.

As mentioned above, his record in all competitions is won 12, drawn 8, lost 5. Our record in the last eight games is won 6, drawn 1, lost 1.

I think that’s better than any of us realised.

We are in the top half, chasing the top six with a run of “easier” games between now and Christmas. Hopefully we can take advantage and be right in the mix when January comes around.
    We do have some so called easier games, but we also need to factor in that half of our defence is injured.

It's probably just about ok with Clare - Inniss - Lavelle - Sess but we're pretty much 1 further injury away from a disaster.
    I don't think Inniss/Ness or Elerewe or even Mitchell? would be a disaster.
    I think Lavelle/Ness or Elerewe or even Mitchell might be a bit of a worry.