Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Match Thread (+POST-MATCH p13): Stevenage v Charlton Athletic | Tues 8 Nov 2022 (League Cup 3rd Rd)

Comments

• Just watched the video above and seen the scores on the doors and yet again any one who plays Left back who isn't a natural left footed player will struggle. Ok, in the odd one off match but add Chin to the list.
    He is in good company as Clare, Egbo, Gunter, Solly etc all struggled in that position as you have to tackle with your wrong foot if a player goes on the outside and you are limited going forward as you can only cut Inside.
    Even Joe Gomez struggled in a match at the Valley when he had to cover at LB.

TBF to Steven Sessegnon he seems to be doing a decent job but again not ideal. 

• One explanation regarding the train.
    After leaving Blackfriars the driver announced the next stop would be East Croydon.
    Not London Bridge where 90% of the passengers wanted to change to an onward journey.
    This led to some fans shouting and banging on the Drivers door, at which point he stopped the train.
    Apparently it wasn’t going to stop at London Bridge as planned because there wasn’t a platform available!

• thenewbie said:
    Southbank said:
    You know what...looking across the league and  3 cup competitions combined, and setting aside the performances, we actually are rather in the habit of winning football matches. 

the glaring exception in the last two months is of course losing abjectly at home to the bottom of the league side, which naturally was my first game at the Valley for six months.  :s

And while the U21s have sagged a bit in the last couple of months (maybe the best young players haven't been available), the U18 results are positively fearsome. 

If I were an optimist I would suggest that is evidence that the manager is instilling a good mentality and approach which is applied right though the club. I hesitate to suggest that this says anything about other aspects of the club, but I think these are reasons to be cheerful
    Indeed. 12 wins 8 draws and 5 defeats this season in all competitions. Some against lower and non league clubs of course and some on penalties, but nevertheless a 48% win ratio. Very acceptable given all the injuries and key failures in the transfer window up front and at left back. If it were not for the MK result we would all be a lot happier.
    Of all the problems we have at the club, the manager is not one of them. I would even go so far as saying that Garner will be in the Championship within a season or two, though (sadly) most likely not as manager of Charlton.
    Not wanting to tempt fate but he would be the perfect fit at Luton !!!!!!
  • edited November 2022
    thenewbie said:
    Southbank said:
    You know what...looking across the league and  3 cup competitions combined, and setting aside the performances, we actually are rather in the habit of winning football matches. 

the glaring exception in the last two months is of course losing abjectly at home to the bottom of the league side, which naturally was my first game at the Valley for six months.  :s

And while the U21s have sagged a bit in the last couple of months (maybe the best young players haven't been available), the U18 results are positively fearsome. 

If I were an optimist I would suggest that is evidence that the manager is instilling a good mentality and approach which is applied right though the club. I hesitate to suggest that this says anything about other aspects of the club, but I think these are reasons to be cheerful
    Indeed. 12 wins 8 draws and 5 defeats this season in all competitions. Some against lower and non league clubs of course and some on penalties, but nevertheless a 48% win ratio. Very acceptable given all the injuries and key failures in the transfer window up front and at left back. If it were not for the MK result we would all be a lot happier.
    Of all the problems we have at the club, the manager is not one of them. I would even go so far as saying that Garner will be in the Championship within a season or two, though (sadly) most likely not as manager of Charlton.

As it's a results business when Chairman and Owners are looking for Managers/Head coaches then the very least Ben Garner will need to achieve is a play off place as all the managers like Howe and Potter etc have achieved promotions and both the above took clubs from the lowest divisions to the top in England and Sweden respectively.

I feel Ben Garner is still learning and the harsh reality of Possession without shots on target are meaningless. We had to wait for super sub Chuks Aneke to draw us level but I agree that Ben Garner is a likeable and passionate coach who wasn't backed enough by the owner though it isn't our money but Thomas Sandgaard must've a twin as the guy who wanted European football in 5 years has gone AWOL. Blowing League 1 out of the water was said to sell season tickets and it worked; selling season tickets not blowing League 1out of the water !

The bottom line is Garner won't get a Championship gig if he isn't successful with Charlton; despite how attractive you try to play.

That's how the football business works.

• thenewbie said:
    Southbank said:

As it's a results business when Chairman and Owners are looking for Managers/Head coaches then the very least Ben Garner will need to achieve is a play off place as all the managers like Howe and Potter etc have achieved promotions and both the above took clubs from the lowest divisions to the top in England and Sweden respectively.

I feel Ben Garner is still learning and the harsh reality of Possession without shots on target are meaningless. We had to wait for super sub Chuks Aneke to draw us level but I agree that Ben Garner is a likeable and passionate coach who wasn't backed enough by the owner though it isn't our money but Thomas Sandgaard must've a twin as the guy who wanted European football in 5 years has gone AWOL. Blowing League 1 out of the water was said to sell season tickets and it worked; selling season tickets not blowing League 1out of the water !

The bottom line is Garner won't get a Championship gig if he isn't successful with Charlton; despite how attractive you try to play.

As mentioned above, his record in all competitions is won 12, drawn 8, lost 5. Our record in the last eight games is won 6, drawn 1, lost 1.

I think that’s better than any of us realised.

We are in the top half, chasing the top six with a run of “easier” games between now and Christmas. Hopefully we can take advantage and be right in the mix when January comes around.
  • thenewbie said:
    Southbank said:

Agreed. Garner has a long way to go before he's "hot property".

Yes it's great that we're getting cup wins, indeed I was there for 2 of the games, but Championship owners won't be getting excited because we beat an U21 team in the Pizza Cup, a 7th tier non league side at home, and beat Stevenage in a game where we were terrible for most of the match.

In the league, never mind the big spenders, we're 18 points behind Schumacher's Plymouth. 
  • Norm was on the train we were all on.
  • seth plum said:
    One explanation regarding the train.
    After leaving Blackfriars the driver announced the next stop would be East Croydon.
    Not London Bridge where 90% of the passengers wanted to change to an onward journey.
    This led to some fans shouting and banging on the Drivers door, at which point he stopped the train.
    Apparently it wasn’t going to stop at London Bridge as planned because there wasn’t a platform available!

15 platforms at London Bridge and late in the evening they could not find one. Ridiculous.

A pity they did not reach that conclusion before they went through all the London stops and decided East Croydon was the logical place all the passengers could get home from. Obviously geography was not their strongest subject at school. I was advised to pick up my son there and so I did at 3:30am, home at 4:15am. He goes to work at 6:30am.

At least we won!
  • Sponsored links:

• Redrobo said:
    seth plum said:

15 platforms at London Bridge and late in the evening they could not find one. Ridiculous.

A pity they did not reach that conclusion before they went through all the London stops and decided East Croydon was the logical place all the passengers could get home from. Obviously geography was not their strongest subject at school. I was advised to pick up my son there and so I did at 3:30am, home at 4:15am. He goes to work at 6:30am.

At least we won!
    Initially they were turfing everybody off the train at London Bridge, but at the last moment when the majority had gone down to the concourse, they said the Train was going on to East Croydon.
    This was around 1.45am.
  • A couple of points:
    • Would be surprised if Stevenage didn't go up, they looked a tidy, well organised side, who were easily the better team for 70 minutes or so. Steve Evans is a decent manager at that level.
    •  Dobson's worst game for the club? Seemed completely off it.
    • JFC was probably our best player and was only on for 15 minutes, it's criminal now if he can't play in the league - surely our third best CM.
    • As good as Chuks is, it highlights how bad Stockley is. I was with a few non-Charlton fans in the away end, and they thought he was piss poor. His lack of mobility is a huge worry going forward
    Think, if possible, Stockley will be moved on in January. 
  • A couple of points:
    • Would be surprised if Stevenage didn't go up, they looked a tidy, well organised side, who were easily the better team for 70 minutes or so. Steve Evans is a decent manager at that level.
    • JFC was probably our best player and was only on for 15 minutes, it's criminal now if he can't play in the league - surely our third best CM.
    • As good as Chuks is, it highlights how bad Stockley is. I was with a few non-Charlton fans in the away end, and they thought he was piss poor. His lack of mobility is a huge worry going forward
    Might have had a niggle - Rich Cawley mentioned him nursing a potential hamstring problem in the first half
  • Fumbluff said:
    And why does Garner even need to mention those stripy Nigel virgins. 
    Literally nobody wants to play them, I’m hopeful the Geordies destroy them…

The reason we don't want to play the team that is on the Surrey/London boarder in the League cup is the 4-1 defeat by their reserve team on a depressing night on and off the pitch.

Any non League 1 team will do.

Although Guy Luzon was "a rabbit in the headlights" that night. It's already obvious that Garner would not be. Garner does his homework, and he's showing more and more that he's done his homework on us, the fans, and our history. 

Anyway Newcastle will stuff them. As Garner says, any draw that gets us excited, is a a good one.
    Luzon was a disgrace not a rabbit in the headlights. We went into that game in some form and he dropped all our best players to the bench. Local derby and he didn't get it. Worst manager we have had (and I include the smiling moron/laundry basket man who's name I can't even recall!)
    I wouldn’t disagree. The person who coined the phrase, however, was Steve Parish.
  • edited November 2022
    To be sent to the Dysfunctional, Dickensian, dank, dark, eerie concrete jungle that is Croydon in the middle of the night must've been traumatic for you Kentish types that are used to the garden of England and greenery. Please talk to someone if it has left you with nightmares. 
  • seth plum said:
    Redrobo said:
    seth plum said:

At least we won!
    Initially they were turfing everybody off the train at London Bridge, but at the last moment when the majority had gone down to the concourse, they said the Train was going on to East Croydon.
    This was around 1.45am.
    I know, I had driven to Tonbridge and then went onto East Croydon when they said that was going to happen.

I think they then cancelled the train so he had to get a taxi there. Unfortunately his phone was out of charge so I just had to stick it out and see what happened. Left home at 11pm to pick him up. I would have been home quicker if I had picked him up from the ground!
  • Great to be in another hat in the last 16 this time, so well done to Ben's men for a hard fought win.

Garner's done well keeping us in the cups given the resources available to him, further weakened through injuries. Whilst the opposition pushed aside have all been teams we should beat on paper, getting the job done on the pitch is another matter and we've emerged victorious and still in contention on all fronts.

It's still far too early for him to be thought of as another great manager of our Club, but the signs are he might be if backed. I think it's fair to say he wasn't everyone's first choice when appointed, but he's slowly winning fans over and it doesn't look like going with him was a bad decision.
  • A couple of points:
    Think, if possible, Stockley will be moved on in January. 
    I just can’t see it, unless there’s at least one better replacement out there who fits into our budget. And even then we would still only have Leaburn, Aneke plus A.N.Other - which is not enough. 

More likely that we keep Stockley and get someone in on loan like we tried to do last window. 
  • Southbank said:

Even Golfie?
  • we absolutely robbed the win last night but ill take it. 87 mins of absolute dross
  • Sponsored links:

• A couple of points:
    Might have had a niggle - Rich Cawley mentioned him nursing a potential hamstring problem in the first half
    He started the match badly as well, giving the ball away twice in the first couple of minutes, which was most unusual
  • I wonder what the up to date goals per minutes played stats are for Chucks at Charlton.
  • It’s criminal that JFC doesn’t get to play in the league. (JFK not getting a sniff I can understand). Whatever the issue is, it needs sorting out,
  • To be sent to the Dysfunctional, Dickensian, dank, dark, eerie concrete jungle that is Croydon in the middle of the night must've been traumatic for you Kentish types that are used to the garden of England and greenery. Please talk to someone if it has left you with nightmares. 
    Tbf if you've come from Stevenage it may seem like Paradise 
  • edited November 2022
    I might add that Stevenage put so much effort in the first half closing the space that they started to tire around 60 mins and it was really obvious how the game changed.  We didnt take advantage until the 75 mins mark when changes were made and they were hanging on, lots of gamesmanship and it was very scrappy until Chuks started to cause his usual havoc and the midfielders started to boss the interplay.  Very awkward game and not a pretty one to watch but we managed to get through and the penalties were first class, they all looked like they were going to score. On to the next round 
  • Fair play to the Stevenage supporters for following their local team rather than Tottenham or Arsenal however there were an above average number of unpleasant hooded specimens 
  • Are we now a cup team, having not been one for decades?
  • This season we’re becoming a last minute team.
  • Will not be meeting Spurs or The Gunners in the next round.