Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: PORT VALE V CHARLTON ATHLETIC / SATURDAY 19th NOVEMBER 2022 3.00pm KO

Comments

• Options
    I’d play Chuks from the off , know he won’t last but maybe we can get ahead and lift spirits. Otherwise it’s just pot luck.
  • Options
    Don’t let it bounce , standard Sunday league shout was what Dobbo needed yesterday for their goal , still he has plenty (of credit) in the tank 
  • Options
    Garner is the problem for me. His style of playing is boring. No flair. And, in all areas we’ve been going backwards. And, he is just so averse to making changes. It was painfully obvious today that things needed to change at half time but he didn’t do it. It was crying out for Aneke and JFC and by the time he did bring them on we were 1-0 down and chasing the game.,Game after game he follows the same pattern and in general we play badly. Let’s face it we were lucky against both Ipswich and Burton to get any points. I’ve said it before that we could very well end up in a relegation scrap with him in charge and I still feel that will be the case. Sandgaard hasn’t backed him like all of us and evidently Garner wanted but let’s not disguise the fact that Garner has not done a good job so far and it is getting worse.
    I’ve never felt as bad about a Charlton team. What with Sandgaard and Garner I feel our club has been hijacked. This isn’t the Charlton that I’ve loved for so many years. 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Stupid comments from Garner…he’s just lost the dressing room. You’ve basically told the players they are not good enough. We all know that but to say it in public is out of order. Reminds me of Bowyer at the end. Tactics were not right on a shitty pitch. I bought a Charlton TV season pass for 200 quid….waste of money. Feel sorry for the fans that travelled. I’m done 
    I think there is a time to say it. When you, your club and it's supporters have been let down for the umpteenth time by the players who earn a good living but are being out-fought and out-thought by another side who aren't collective as talented as yours and probably earning a good bit less money. The message is clear - you are good enough and the consequences obvious - some of you will be going. He is looking for a reaction and we need one. 
  • Options
    My biggest concern around Adkins is not so much the style of football but rather why our players look so knackered. Despite having a week without any matches between games, even in the first half most of our players seemed to be blowing.
  • Options
    A proper lol performance highlights were the beers before, £100 before I’d had a pint away games now will be

derby 
    Bristol rovers 
    Cheltenham 

purely to get the ticks

Players ain’t good enough - time for the guitar botherer to depart 
  • Options
    I went yesterday - dreadful - like their ground though 

What on earth was going on outside the ground afterwards, Police everywhere, and scuffling with fans (mainly Charlton ones from what I can make out) ???
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

What on earth was going on outside the ground afterwards, Police everywhere, and scuffling with fans (mainly Charlton ones from what I can make out) ???
    What was the agg all about , was it Charlton fan’s anger after that crap that  Glad all fucking over was being played , over zealous old bill, local northern Herbert’s on the wind up … all of the above 
  • Options
    edited November 2022

What was the agg all about , was it Charlton fan’s anger after that crap that  Glad all fucking over was being played , over zealous old bill, local northern Herbert’s on the wind up … all of the above 

What I saw as I left the ground was pissed off Charlton fans rather than pissed up - the police were very heavy handed (and there were lots of them) - almost like they were hoping for aggro.

My missus was two miles away in the car waiting for me and my eldest and our anger had just about gone by the time we had walked that two miles. Didn't see any trouble at all as we walked away.
  • Options

https://youtu.be/03l-FNor37s

Clues maybe around 8mins45 in what is a decent video from a villa vlogger in our end.
  • Options
    My take on yesterday is that we lost after underperforming.
  • Options
    edited November 2022

https://youtu.be/03l-FNor37s

Clues maybe around 8mins45 in what is a decent video from a villa vlogger in our end.
    Nice video, one thing is very noticable about 3.20, def a handball as claimed by a few players, the guy does move his hand to ball, so got done there..
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Rob said:
    Garner is the problem for me. His style of playing is boring. No flair. And, in all areas we’ve been going backwards. And, he is just so averse to making changes. It was painfully obvious today that things needed to change at half time but he didn’t do it. It was crying out for Aneke and JFC and by the time he did bring them on we were 1-0 down and chasing the game.,Game after game he follows the same pattern and in general we play badly. Let’s face it we were lucky against both Ipswich and Burton to get any points. I’ve said it before that we could very well end up in a relegation scrap with him in charge and I still feel that will be the case. Sandgaard hasn’t backed him like all of us and evidently Garner wanted but let’s not disguise the fact that Garner has not done a good job so far and it is getting worse.
    I’ve never felt as bad about a Charlton team. What with Sandgaard and Garner I feel our club has been hijacked. This isn’t the Charlton that I’ve loved for so many years. 
    IF we had won yesterday, we would have three points off sixth and still in three Cup competitions. There would have been zero complaints about Garner. I don't think he's any great shakes either but he isn't the problem so far. He's been given poor support from the penny-pinching owner and his side lacks leaders and winners. The players let him down yesterday.
    Rob said:
    IF we had won yesterday, we would have three points off sixth and still in three Cup competitions. There would have been zero complaints about Garner. I don't think he's any great shakes either but he isn't the problem so far. He's been given poor support from the penny-pinching owner and his side lacks leaders and winners. The players let him down yesterday.
    Stockley without a goal scorer to play off him is not worth being on the team sheet. Stockley without wingers to provide crosses to him is not worth being on the team sheet. The loss of Washington was down to TS. That there was no replacement for Washington was down to TS. Playing without wingers who can cross a ball is down to what players are in the squad, that squad in the main was put together before Garner got here and there is little chance that the problems, that Garner inherited, will change and that is down to TS.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Thing is Benny boy, WE expected different from YOU when you joined the club as well.

So just get on with doing your job and stop whining like a child.
    Behave. 
    He's been shafted by banjo boy.
    The buck stops with Sandgaard 
    Of course it does. 

But if you're the manager you have those conversations in private and/or with the owner, not with the press.

As it is we've now got him openly saying "the team isn't good enough and this isn't what I was told or expecting" (so I'm not happy). So how's that going to get a result in the next game?

When you're a manager - in any field - you don't go moaning to your staff or your customers that life is shit. You just don't. They can think that if they want, but it's your job to manage the situation as best as you can. That's the first 10 minutes of any management course in any field.
    Wonder if you had these same opinions when Bowyer used to slag off the team week-in and week-out during a bad run? 
    Yep, absolutely.

But saying the team put in an unacceptable performance is one thing, saying the squad isn't good enough is quite another. Effectively saying, to the press, the owner has over-promised and let you down is a whole different ball park.
    I think saying the squad isn't good enough is different to saying the players aren't good enough.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    Are we any better off than this time 12 months ago? League position is exactly the same now as it was then as is the points total (Plus one extra this season) 

I’ve lost track on how many comments Garner has made re budgets, recruitment etc. It won’t make the blindest bit of difference. You have had the wool
    pulled over your eyes like the rest of us, so it’s either case of jacking it in or trying to make the best of what you have available to you. 

Maybe he did Jackson a favour, the owner 
    Lets get Gunter, Matthews and Gilbey back!

Jackson is currently in a midtable League Two side with the likes of Gunter and Davison. 

We played pub football last season, no thank you to round two of that stuff. 
    Aren't we just 1 point better off than we were at this point last season? Garner has given us only a handful of good performances, the rest have been awful - exactly the same as Jackson.

Both pretty limited managers in my opinion.
  • Options
    Rob said:
    What would constitute 'flair'? With these players? Kirk as a free-role 10 and two wingers not flair enough for you? Honestly. And Aneke was all warmed up and about to come on when they scored, we hadn't been 'chasing the game' 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    That was dreadful. What is Garnerball exactly? Pass it around the back before losing it in midfield?

He can’t even get a 4-4-2 right. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    shirty5 said:
    Are we any better off than this time 12 months ago? League position is exactly the same now as it was then as is the points total (Plus one extra this season) 

I’ve lost track on how many comments Garner has made re budgets, recruitment etc. It won’t make the blindest bit of difference. You have had the wool
    pulled over your eyes like the rest of us, so it’s either case of jacking it in or trying to make the best of what you have available to you. 

Maybe he did Jackson a favour, the owner 
    Lets get Gunter, Matthews and Gilbey back!

Jackson is currently in a midtable League Two side with the likes of Gunter and Davison. 

We played pub football last season, no thank you to round two of that stuff. 
    Aren't we just 1 point better off than we were at this point last season? Garner has given us only a handful of good performances, the rest have been awful - exactly the same as Jackson.

Both pretty limited managers in my opinion.
    Jackson had a bigger squad budget. 

And more of 'his' signings. 
  • Options
    That was dreadful. What is Garnerball exactly? Pass it around the back before losing it it midfield?

He can’t even get a 4-4-2 right. 
    Makes it sound like 442 is a simple, basic, formation that every player is comfortable with.

I am willing to bet that until about 6 weeks ago half our starting 11 had ever played 442 professionally.  I strongly suspect JRS and CBT have ever played wide in a midfield 4, Clare has hardly ever played as a full back in it.  Dobson certainly wouldn't have played it in his academy career, the same is probably true for Inniss, Sessegnon and Tupac.  By Garner's own admission Kirk hadn't played in that position in his whole life.

I really don't understand why people assume, in 2022, that 442 is a default players are naturally comfortable with.  Mike Bassett was a dinosaur, over 20 years ago.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

What I saw as I left the ground was pissed off Charlton fans rather than pissed up - the police were very heavy handed (and there were lots of them) - almost like they were hoping for aggro.

My missus was two miles away in the car waiting for me and my eldest and our anger had just about gone by the time we had walked that two miles. Didn't see any trouble at all as we walked away.
    At times its like our lot go to a different game.
    The old bill were quite pleasant outside when we left on 84minutes.
    Wished us on our way , pointed us in the direction we might be able to pick a cab up aswell.
    Luckily enough cab there and was able to get the 17.13 back to London.

• Options
    cabbles said:
    Re: investment in Jan, it’ll be take whatever someone offers for Leaburn and a couple of loans 
    100%. Hoping Leaburn is still injured so we have a chance of seeing him second-half of the season.
    Come on, we all know that Leaburn will return from injury on 28th Jan, tear Bolton new one and by the time we visit Exeter the following Saturday we'll all be saying, "It's project break-even, inevitable, but why couldnt we sell Stockley instead? "

Vale fans view of Garner is quite funny, but true....

https://www.onevalefan.co.uk/2022/11/league-one-manager-in-danger-of-the-sack-moans-about-port-vale-again/
    You can see why he has a reputation for moaning.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    cabbles said:
    Re: investment in Jan, it’ll be take whatever someone offers for Leaburn and a couple of loans 
    100%. Hoping Leaburn is still injured so we have a chance of seeing him second-half of the season.
    Come on, we all know that Leaburn will return from injury on 28th Jan, tear Bolton new one and by the time we visit Exeter the following Saturday we'll all be saying, "It's project break-even, inevitable, but why couldnt we sell Stockley instead? "

Vale fans view of Garner is quite funny, but true....

https://www.onevalefan.co.uk/2022/11/league-one-manager-in-danger-of-the-sack-moans-about-port-vale-again/
    You can see why he has a reputation for moaning.
    I have to agree with Ben on one point though..

"They just set out to stop you playing. There’s no ambition for them to go and attack and take the game to you. They’re at home today and their whole ambition was to sit and stop us. Make it a dull game and try and nick it 1-0, which they did"...