Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Iran - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    It's six!
  • Options
    If England are going to win this, it won't be via 1-0 shutouts. Our strength is up front, we've tore apart a previously solid Iranian team 
    I agree that's where the most quality is in this England team, but we know that Southgate is a big believer that teams who win tournaments are teams who control, and are controlled in, games. Ironically, apart from Italy in the Euros, who had the platform of a world class goalkeeper and one of the best CB partnerships of their generation, it has largely been true.

France were largely functional despite having a fair amount of flair talent. Same with Germany in 2014. Portugal were downright turgid in 2016. And then you had the great Spain sides who controlled the game with possession. 

I don't think Iran are quite as bad as the've looked at times, I could see them getting something against Wales or the US, but they're not great. England definitely won't be this free flowing and open in the upcoming games--be prepared for the switch to 3-4-3 on Friday. But England have shown that they do have this in their locker, and that they can play some very tidy attacking football when required. 
  • Options
    Astonished Wilson passed there
  • Options
    Fair play to Wilson there for not going for goal.
    You could have forgiven him for having a shot then, very unselfish play 
  • Options
    Very very unselfish from Callum Wilson - he'll probably not get a better chance for a World Cup goal and he passes it to Grealish.

What a stand up guy, he has to be with a name like that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fair play to Wilson there for not going for goal.
    I'd have been putting my laces through that if I found myself in that position and would probably see the ball sail over the bar and into the stands.
  • Options
    Wow totally unselfish from Wilson. 
  • Options
    As we approach injury time, we realise there is time for another four goals
  • Options
    Love to see Grealish on the score sheet!
  • Options
    Where did the 10 minutes come from?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looking forward to this turning into a 48 team competition in 4 years from now!
  • Options
    Oh god sake... Cmon, I've gotta go get my Son from School in 10mins

They're not gonna be happy when I'm forced to tell them the reasons I was late, was because the England game just wouldnt end
    They're not doing a school watch party?
    Dunno... He's in reception anyway, and doesnt have much interest in Football at the moment, if he doesnt buck his ideas up in a few years, he'll be up for adoption
    Get him the Panini book, that seems to have triggered an absolute obsession with mine!. Saw his first ever WC goal yesterday and sleeps in his kit lol. Got it on record for after pre school so he can watch the first half. 
  • Options
    Definitely better then the Ireland v Malta game last night. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Did the commentator just say 45k attendance out of a 65k capacity?

I just read it's a 68k capacity so even more of a balls-up on FIFA's part.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    If England are going to win this, it won't be via 1-0 shutouts. Our strength is up front, we've tore apart a previously solid Iranian team 
    I agree that's where the most quality is in this England team, but we know that Southgate is a big believer that teams who win tournaments are teams who control, and are controlled in, games. Ironically, apart from Italy in the Euros, who had the platform of a world class goalkeeper and one of the best CB partnerships of their generation, it has largely been true.

France were largely functional despite having a fair amount of flair talent. Same with Germany in 2014. Portugal were downright turgid in 2016. And then you had the great Spain sides who controlled the game with possession. 

I don't think Iran are quite as bad as the've looked at times, I could see them getting something against Wales or the US, but they're not great. England definitely won't be this free flowing and open in the upcoming games--be prepared for the switch to 3-4-3 on Friday. But England have shown that they do have this in their locker, and that they can play some very tidy attacking football when required. 
    England have scored 6 but have also been very controlled.  Its not like we have scored by flooding men forward.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I feel like I’ve been watching this match for about four hours! 
    Strap in, there's two more games to watch!
  • Options
    We've scored six and Kane didn't even have a shot on target!
  • Options
    Sod this... there aint gonna be anymore goals... Im off out