Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Iran - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    SDAddick said:
    If England are going to win this, it won't be via 1-0 shutouts. Our strength is up front, we've tore apart a previously solid Iranian team 
    I agree that's where the most quality is in this England team, but we know that Southgate is a big believer that teams who win tournaments are teams who control, and are controlled in, games. Ironically, apart from Italy in the Euros, who had the platform of a world class goalkeeper and one of the best CB partnerships of their generation, it has largely been true.

France were largely functional despite having a fair amount of flair talent. Same with Germany in 2014. Portugal were downright turgid in 2016. And then you had the great Spain sides who controlled the game with possession. 

I don't think Iran are quite as bad as the've looked at times, I could see them getting something against Wales or the US, but they're not great. England definitely won't be this free flowing and open in the upcoming games--be prepared for the switch to 3-4-3 on Friday. But England have shown that they do have this in their locker, and that they can play some very tidy attacking football when required. 
    England have scored 6 but have also been very controlled.  Its not like we have scored by flooding men forward.
    Fair point, I do think they've flooded men forward at times but it has been in controlled moments and in some cases at least planned movements. 

Time will tell. Iran are probably the weakest team England will play in this tournament, or at least the team they match up against the best. I think a free flowing, attacking England side could be very successful. And it would show very important and impressive evolution from Southgate--who I think very highly of as an international manager.

If nothing else, they should be a good side. Assuming this game ends before they play the US on Friday.
  • Options
    FT 6-2
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Oh god sake... Cmon, I've gotta go get my Son from School in 10mins

They're not gonna be happy when I'm forced to tell them the reasons I was late, was because the England game just wouldnt end
    They're not doing a school watch party?
    Dunno... He's in reception anyway, and doesnt have much interest in Football at the moment, if he doesnt buck his ideas up in a few years, he'll be up for adoption
    Get him the Panini book, that seems to have triggered an absolute obsession with mine!. Saw his first ever WC goal yesterday and sleeps in his kit lol. Got it on record for after pre school so he can watch the first half. 
    Didn’t know you could still do that!

betamax?

On wax, he's only 3 so can use his imagination for the visuals. 
  • Options
    Any scored penalty is a good one... But that wasn't well placed. 
  • Options
    Exactly why VAR is hated:

A over zealous offside given yesterday
    A 100% penalty not given today 

And again. It may be a penalty but compared to Maguire's claim, no way. 

VAR has 7 people who are as inconsistent as the 1 on the pitch 
  • Options
    Awful decision for the pen
  • Options
    Farcical finish, VAR proving how fucking useless it is and how weak the refs are, joke.

Anyway great performance but still concerned about defence.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Awful decision for the pen
    Well it was either that or play until they scored.
  • Options
    Farcical finish, VAR proving how fucking useless it is and how weak the refs are, joke.

VAR isn't useless the moron operating was.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Bellingham my MotM
    Saka second. 
  • Options
    I always somehow forget that SCP is a part of the England set up. Great to see him get a high five from Southgate there. 
  • Options
    A very entertaining game. So pleased England won. I really like this team of players!👍👍👍
  • Options
    Fastest ever goal, in a world cup, by a substitute, for Rashford as well.
  • Options
    Wow... Just saw the reason for the penalty
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Why do people persist in saying this type of thing?

You do know what "VAR" stands for don't you?  
  • Options
    great result, good going forward but our defence is utter crap and we will be found out against good teams
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    I always somehow forget that SCP is a part of the England set up. Great to see him get a high five from Southgate there. 
    Two shits knew he was no good...
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Who watches the video?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Off_it said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Who watches the video?
    The "Video" part of it is bang on. Can't fault it. The ability to play back recordings from various camera angles is magnificent. Well played everyone.

It's the "A" and the "R" parts that are just plain shite!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Off_it said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Who watches the video?
    Technically, the VAR watches the video. 
  • Options
    What a nice young lad Jude is. 19year old already speaks better English than I do and probably has got a good command of the German language too!
  • Options
    shame to concede 2, having seen that from Iran wouldn't like to say who goes through from our group.