Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pre, Match & Post (p14) Thread| Plymouth Argyle vs Charlton Athletic (PJ2R)| Tues 22 November 2022

Comments

• Options
    We have a team full of kids tonight.

To those of you who know far more about our youth than me what has happened to a player called Adigun. Him and Anderson always looked the real business to me when I saw them play.
    As I was saying..!

Now we just need Adigun!
  • Options
    We love an injury time goal dont we
  • Options
    Plymouth come forward, great work from Asiimwe, and he wins a free kick on the edge of our area.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Morgan looking tired now... He's put in some yards tonight. 
    He covers a lot of ground most games.  But doesn’t do enough with the ball
  • Options
    Chin gets fouled in the centre circle and we have a free kick which Harness will take.
  • Options
    Ball goes into the area, the ref blows his whistle, but it's just for a foul, not full time
  • Options
    Penalties!  Penalties...  Oh!
  • Options
    Not all that bad. A massive offside and two gifts, but they all tried pretty hard.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    NOW it's the final whistle. Plymouth 3 CAFC 2.
  • Options
    Thank you for all all the contributors tonight
  • Options
    Full time. 

Good consolation. 
  • Options
    FT 3-2, good run out, and Plymouth can consider themselves very fortunate, two gifts, and another from the Lino, youngsters did well, particularly Asiimwe..
  • Options
    OK, post match from here, I think.
  • Options
    Asimwe the only one who really enhanced his reputation tonight.
  • Options
    We love an injury time goal dont we
    Pierluigi Collina's time-keeping directive in the World Cup came as a result of watching us this season and seeing all our stoppage-time goals.

It's known as the Charlton Initiative.
  • Options
    1 down, 2 to go.

Roll on Stockport.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    I think Asiimwe isn't far off competing with Clare for RB.
  • Options
    The XG for this game will be interesting, as there were a LOT of chances for both sides 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Never mind - we’ll go again next season (as we’ll still be in this fecking awful division) 😡
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Campbell did well, looked more like a first teamer than youngster. 
  • Options
    Only one game, BUT on today's performance Assimwe looks a better deputy at RB than Chin does at LB.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Talal said:
    Southbank said:
    Campbell did well, looked more like a first teamer than youngster. 
    Don't think Kanu did badly with the little support he had either.

Elerewe gone backwards on today's showing. Karoy Anderson also did okay. Whilst Payne can pass, he cannot cross. 

Aaron Henry though... That was a very poor performance.

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Well this is dreadful 
    Basically a youth game now.
    Apart from the first teamers yes

Hence 'Basically'
    Yes playing very basically, basically shite 😬
    You’re a ray of fucking sunshine aren’t you!

Whilst it would have been nice to progress in the cup we just don’t have the squad, or enough fit first teamers, to have a go at this so we’ve played the youngsters and it’s been men against boys for large periods BUT the players will all have learned a bit tonight.

Not even about progressing, it’s just frustrating our senior players on the pitch aren’t giving a good showing, apart from jfc, and Thomas won’t let him play normally 
  • Options
    Could have been 10-10. Unfortunately the defensive frailties shown by the seniors were all on show and we gifted them two goals.

Hugely disappointed with Morgan and Payne.

Might have been expecting too much, but was hoping to see some improvement from Elewere after getting a lot of game time at Wealstone. Unfortunately I wasn't impressed and he seems to have gone backwards.

In all honesty it was probably the worst draw we could have got, I doubt either team particularly wanted the fixture. Micky Mouse cup and I would much rather have gone out in the group stage.
  • Options
    The emphasis is on pulling the opposition out of position so you can break forward.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Swisdom said:
    Southbank said:
    Swisdom said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Well this is dreadful 
    Basically a youth game now.
    Apart from the first teamers yes

Hence 'Basically'
    Yes playing very basically, basically shite 😬
    You’re a ray of fucking sunshine aren’t you!

Whilst it would have been nice to progress in the cup we just don’t have the squad, or enough fit first teamers, to have a go at this so we’ve played the youngsters and it’s been men against boys for large periods BUT the players will all have learned a bit tonight.

Not to play Garnerball?
    Yes.  Play Garnerball too.  All age groups do too. It’s how they learn.  
    Well play it in the underage games then.  It's either a first team game, or it's not.  Don't rip the piss out of the fans if it's a u21s game, be honest and say so.

No problem with trying to play out from the back, it wasn't Garnerball when Gunter amd Pratley were cooking it up at Burton 2 years ago.

I'll add the kids would learn a lot more, more quickly, if they actually thought the result mattered.  Source?  Every player that has ever gone on loan and realised the meaning of 3 points on a Saturday.
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    I know it shouldn’t bother me so much, but I was livid watching that. We create a rod for our own backs every chance we get. Pass, pass, pass under pressure… oooh, aren’t we cute? Going no where nine times out of ten, except when we get caught in possession or gift the other side a chance or six, then we’re chasing our tales. No one can defend, because all the emphasis is on keeping possession in useless areas of the pitch. 

Two moments summed it all up for me. When the second Plymouth goal went in after a calamitous individual error there was no reaction. Looking to keep possession, Mitchell played the ball across his own box straight to a Plymouth player. No one seemed to bat an eye! So, it happened again for their third, when Harness needlessly played a ball out to an under-presssure Henry who was routinely dispossessed…. Shrug.

We’re told that we have a style and an identity. Well, we play ineffective, careless, possession football, punctuated only by brief  moments of interest going forward and calamitous defending. 

Yup