Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pre, Match & Post (p14) Thread| Plymouth Argyle vs Charlton Athletic (PJ2R)| Tues 22 November 2022

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    The emphasis is on pulling the opposition out of position so you can break forward.
    Except our passes are often too short
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    The emphasis is on pulling the opposition out of position so you can break forward.
    And limited movement in front and/or limited ability to hold the ball up don't help us. Further compounded, as was the case at Port Vale, by Dobson patrolling the back four and contributing to the side-ways nonsense. Who was in the Dobson role tonight?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Which would be nice if we ever actually broke forward, rather than the defence playing pass the parcel amongst themselves.
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    I know it shouldn’t bother me so much, but I was livid watching that. We create a rod for our own backs every chance we get. Pass, pass, pass under pressure… oooh, aren’t we cute? Going no where nine times out of ten, except when we get caught in possession or gift the other side a chance or six, then we’re chasing our tales. No one can defend, because all the emphasis is on keeping possession in useless areas of the pitch. 

Two moments summed it all up for me. When the second Plymouth goal went in after a calamitous individual error there was no reaction. Looking to keep possession, Mitchell played the ball across his own box straight to a Plymouth player. No one seemed to bat an eye! So, it happened again for their third, when Harness needlessly played a ball out to an under-presssure Henry who was routinely dispossessed…. Shrug.

We’re told that we have a style and an identity. Well, we play ineffective, careless, possession football, punctuated only by brief  moments of interest going forward and calamitous defending. 

Your a ray of sunshine aren't you...
  • Options
    Sadly, with the exception of Leaburn and maybe Campbell, it does not look from this and other performances that any of our other youth teamers are likely to make it into the first team on a regular basis this season. Henry, Elerewe and Chin did look promising but have gone backwards.
    Asimwe maybe on this performance might get there but probably too soon to say.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Which would be nice if we ever actually broke forward, rather than the defence playing pass the parcel amongst themselves.
    And dropping it
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    And limited movement in front and/or limited ability to hold the ball up don't help us. Further compounded, as was the case at Port Vale, by Dobson patrolling the back four and contributing to the side-ways nonsense. Who was in the Dobson role tonight?
    A mixture of Henry, JFC and Morgan mainly
  • Options
    Chin will be a winger. 

Elerewe was poor tonight. 

Henry was woeful.

Asiimwe will be the next to move up, Oguntayo was developing well before his injury, hopefully that continues.
  • Options
    Maybe I’m just pissed off with it because I had to watch it from in the Lyndhurst road stand, the only positive was hearing lots of “that number 8 is useful “.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    aliwibble said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    The Assimwe assist and several other forward breaks down the right, also every time Chin and Campbell had the space to break forward...

The danger is that it gives the opposition a good counter opportunity. 

Dazzler21 said:
     Dobson's been poor lately too. We need to eliminate that part of the play style for sure.
  • Options
    LCafc43v3r said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    I know it shouldn’t bother me so much, but I was livid watching that. We create a rod for our own backs every chance we get. Pass, pass, pass under pressure… oooh, aren’t we cute? Going no where nine times out of ten, except when we get caught in possession or gift the other side a chance or six, then we’re chasing our tales. No one can defend, because all the emphasis is on keeping possession in useless areas of the pitch. 

Two moments summed it all up for me. When the second Plymouth goal went in after a calamitous individual error there was no reaction. Looking to keep possession, Mitchell played the ball across his own box straight to a Plymouth player. No one seemed to bat an eye! So, it happened again for their third, when Harness needlessly played a ball out to an under-presssure Henry who was routinely dispossessed…. Shrug.

We’re told that we have a style and an identity. Well, we play ineffective, careless, possession football, punctuated only by brief  moments of interest going forward and calamitous defending. 

Your a ray of sunshine aren't you...
    So how many rays is that
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dobson is a real problem when trying to play out from the back.  Adkins knew it, Garner knows it.  The problem is we are even worse when he doesn't play. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    aliwibble said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    The Assimwe assist and several other forward breaks down the right, also every time Chin and Campbell had the space to break forward...

The danger is that it gives the opposition a good counter opportunity.
    In all honesty, I was thinking more of the regular first team, rather than it being a critique of tonight so much. And in the first half, Harness was definitely not averse to the odd hoof out from defence.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dobson is a real problem when trying to play out from the back.  Adkins knew it, Garner knows it.  The problem is we are even worse when he doesn't play. 
    Dobbo is a firefighter - not a creative spark

When we need someone to win the ball back and keep us ticking over he's outstanding.  When he tries a long pass it's rarely fruitful.  Reminds me of Semedo (tbf i loved him too)
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:

When we need someone to win the ball back and keep us ticking over he's outstanding.  When he tries a long pass it's rarely fruitful.  Reminds me of Semedo (tbf i loved him too)
    He is great at winning the ball back, it's the keeping us ticking over bit he can't do.  His actual passing is fine, it's the angles he makes to receive it and his ability to play on the half turn that's the problem IMO.  That's probably the reason he isn't coverted by clubs higher up the leagues.

You can't play him in a double pivot because you still have that problem and he doesn't know when to attack the ball, he is so much better at that when he knows it's only him.

It's a massive problem because you simply can't not play him.  Semedo was a much better passer of the ball.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Swisdom said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:

He is great at winning the ball back, it's the keeping us ticking over bit he can't do.  His actual passing is fine, it's the angles he makes to receive it and his ability to play on the half turn that's the problem IMO.  That's probably the reason he isn't coverted by clubs higher up the leagues.

You can't play him in a double pivot because you still have that problem and he doesn't know when to attack the ball, he is so much better at that when he knows it's only him.

It's a massive problem because you simply can't not play him.  Semedo was a much better passer of the ball.
    As long as he stays in his lane he is fine at keeping us ticking over imo.  Win it back a play a simple pass to someone more creative.  But he’s not going to be the one to beat a man with skill or a turn of pace and set us off offensively. 
    Maybe this is why people regard JFC as the saviour (which he isn’t) because he can pick a pass and can sit in front of the back four and play like a quarterback.  He just isn’t mobile enough for me 
  • Options
    Considering Plymouth had a much more
    experienced side than us out , I would say despite the result tonight was a good game for our boys. 

The non league loanees would have had a look. At some better opposition, and the youngsters can only benefit from the experience. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Their goalie got given MOTM award.
  • Options
    Marshall was complimentary about the senior pros in the second half, which must mean Morgan and Payne. I'm not sure I agree that we had more control in the second half than the first though.
  • Options
    Just got back from cricket club AGM where my contribution was zero when they were looking for posts to fill and all i could add was the odd snidey quip
    so i'll continue here
    just seen the result
    good
    crock of shit and i look forward to us losing in this shameful competition next year 

101 legends going down there,  i predicted 84,  forgot to add the 17 parents that went down there to watch their kids 

South West Addicks some of them. 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    Hmmm. Don't quite remember Killer & Flash doing that....especially when they were chasing clearances from Les Berry.

Somehow football in the 70's & 80's seemed a lot simpler & more effective. Defenders defend & forwards score. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Just got back from cricket club AGM where my contribution was zero when they were looking for posts to fill and all i could add was the odd snidey quip
    so i'll continue here
    just seen the result
    good
    crock of shit and i look forward to us losing in this shameful competition next year 

101 legends going down there,  i predicted 84,  forgot to add the 17 parents that went down there to watch their kids 

South West Addicks some of them. 
    Yes. Was an impressively large branch a while back when Lester Trask was running it. 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    The XG for this game will be interesting, as there were a LOT of chances for both sides 
    Expected goals data not available for the Pizza Trophy unfortunately… but the shot data from Opta is still interesting to compare and contrast.

Plymouth - CAFC

Shots Total 16-18
    Shots On Target 7-7
    Shots Inside the Area 12-10
    Big Chances 1-3

“Big Chances - A situation where a player should reasonably be expected to score, usually in a one on one scenario or from very close range when the ball has a clear path to goal and there is low to moderate pressure on the shooter. Penalties are always considered big chances.”
    https://www.statsperform.com/opta-event-definitions/

& broken down by half…

1st:
    ST 10-8
    SOT 4-4
    SIA 8-7
    BC 1-3

2nd:
    ST 6-10
    SOT 3-3
    SIA 4-3
    BC 0-0
  • Options
    What strikes me in matches is the number of times a pass goes behind our players and they have to turn to retrieve it. This even happens when we are tapping it about at the back, which they appear to be training for? That is bad enough, but when we are coming forwards, all too often momentum is lost as a player has to check his run and double back.       
  • Options
    I thought Anderson took his goal really well. Was it also him that had that long range drive from outside the box that forced a good save? it is rare we see a Charlton midfielder pinning those on target.