Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent CCC 2023

Comments

• The photo below is from the Kent U13 squad, taken at the Taunton Cricket Festival some 12 years ago. Only Zak Crawley and Marcus O'Riordan made it as professional cricketers but Ben Earl plays rugby for England and Nathan Baxter came through the Chelsea Academy and is currently Bolton's number one keeper.

One of the coaches, Ray Willis is father to former Kent cricketer and High Performance Director, Simon Willis. Ray was the main person to bring through Sam Billings, Ollie Robinson and Jordan Cox and was also responsible for effecting Seb's change at the age of 12 from bat/leggie to keeper/bat. Jordan's Cox's brother, Ashleigh, is also in the photo along with Kent League cricketers Matt Barker (Tunbridge Wells), Kai Appelby (Minster) and Jack Wheeler (Canterbury)

• In the 50 over Final, Leicestershire against Hampshire were 19-4, 51-5 and 81-6 in their innings but thanks, in the main, to their number 8 and keeper, Harry Swindells (who was only in the side because their Aussie overseas had to go home) who made 117 not out off 96 balls, they managed to get 267-7. And Leicestershire ended up winning by 2 runs.

The ECB will be seething that another little club has a trophy and no doubt next year insist that the big clubs play their superstar Hundred players in the Final. 
  • A few changes to the squad for our vital game starting tomorrow. Crawley is with England and Gilchrist, who has really struggled to find his form this season, has been left out from the team that played against Notts and Quinn and Billings, who were both in the 14 for the last game, aren't in the squad either. Ben Lister has been Charltonised as he picked up a hamstring injury playing for NZ and has flown back home. Added are Denly, O'Riordan, Singh and Bhuiyan to make 13 in total.

The cynic in me suggests that Billings was, perhaps, happy to be in and around the team (when not engaged elsewhere such as at corporate events at The Oval) for the Notts game at Canterbury but isn't prepared, even as Club Captain, to travel to Taunton for a game that could define our season. I hope that I am wrong and that he is making the trip because his encouragement and support is as important off the pitch as it is on it. 

• A few changes to the squad for our vital game starting tomorrow. Crawley is with England and Gilchrist, who has really struggled to find his form this season, has been left out from the team that played against Notts and Quinn and Billings, who were both in the 14 for the last game, aren't in the squad either. Ben Lister has been Charltonised as he picked up a hamstring injury playing for NZ and has flown back home. Added are Denly, O'Riordan, Singh and Bhuiyan to make 13 in total.

The cynic in me suggests that Billings was, perhaps, happy to be in and around the team (when not engaged elsewhere such as at corporate events at The Oval) for the Notts game at Canterbury but isn't prepared, even as Club Captain, to travel to Taunton for a game that could define our season. I hope that I am wrong and that he is making the trip because his encouragement and support is as important off the pitch as it is on it. 

Time for Denly to put in a performance, when we need him most. Looks like a long tail doesn't it!
  • With the weather turning, we need the seamers to step up. Surprised that Quinn has been left out, is he out of contract at the end of the season?
  • I can't see much cricket being played in Taunton over the next few days. 
  • With the weather turning, we need the seamers to step up. Surprised that Quinn has been left out, is he out of contract at the end of the season?
    I too am a bit surprised at Quinn's omission. For that matter, not only is there no mention of Quinn in the preview but there is nothing about Stewart either. Quinn signed a three-year contract in 2022 so still has another season to go. 

The team will almost certainly look like this:

Compton
    Muyeye
    DBD
    Denly
    Leaning
    Finch
    Evison
    Nijjar
    Singh
    Hogan
    Chahal
  • Is Taunton still Ciderabad these days, that we can play 2 spinners (plus Leaning and Denly)?
  • Is Taunton still Ciderabad these days, that we can play 2 spinners (plus Leaning and Denly)?
    I wouldn't have said overly so but, there again, with the absence of Leech, there might not have had too much encouragement to prepare bunsen burners. There's no use having two frontline spinners if you aren't going to use them either as evidenced by the reluctance for us to do so until 30 overs into Notts' 2nd innings in the last match.
  • with the likely shit weather Kent need any bonus points they can grab to creep above Middlesex
  • Sponsored links:

• Somerset's squad below. Interesting one is Tom Banton - averages just 25.95 in FC cricket and last played a red ball game on 28th July 2022
  • No play so far. 3 of the 5 Div 1 games have started
  • weather looks a bit better from 3:00 onwards
  • Middlesex 41-3, but their batsmen have an excuse this time as it must be pretty grim batting today. Proper September weather unlike last week.
  • 65-5 at lunch
  • Northants making a better fist of it, 72-2 at The Oval
  • Looks like the covers are coming off in Taunton.
  • Well that's a bit of a shock - we've left both Chahal and Nijjar out 

• We've won the toss and elected to bowl. With just four frontline bowlers!
  • Sponsored links:

And play O'Riordan. Baffling why Quinn isn't in the squad.

And play O'Riordan. Baffling why Quinn isn't in the squad.
    I haven't a clue why Quinn isn't being picked. We are probably a bit worried about our tail and we are might as well declare when six down if we had Singh, Chahal, Hogan and Bhuiyan as our last four hence O'Riordan's introduction.  
  • It really is a bit confusing as to what Jaydn Denly is - a bat who bowls, a bowler who bats or a genuine all rounder? For Whitstable, generally speaking, he bats at 4 and always bowls his 10 overs, for the Kent first team he bats and 6 and bowled and for England U19s he's opening the batting and barely bowling a ball.

I suspect that he might be seen as a bit like his uncle (although I think he has the potential to be a better bowler than Joe) i.e. in 4 day cricket more a batsman but in limited over cricket more of an all rounder. 

• What on earth  is that line up?? Wouldn’t even get promoted out of division 2. Been told it’s a green pitch so it should help the bowlers… someone tell Kent that, somerset currently 40/0 after 10. 
  • yes, Strange line up
  • Wicket to Bhuiyan - Abel caught at first slip by Muyeye

73-1
  • It really is a bit confusing as to what Jaydn Denly is - a bat who bowls, a bowler who bats or a genuine all rounder? For Whitstable, generally speaking, he bats at 4 and always bowls his 10 overs, for the Kent first team he bats and 6 and bowled and for England U19s he's opening the batting and barely bowling a ball.

I suspect that he might be seen as a bit like his uncle (although I think he has the potential to be a better bowler than Joe) i.e. in 4 day cricket more a batsman but in limited over cricket more of an all rounder. 

Currently watching him going absolutely berserk in a run-chase
  • Leuth said:
    It really is a bit confusing as to what Jaydn Denly is - a bat who bowls, a bowler who bats or a genuine all rounder? For Whitstable, generally speaking, he bats at 4 and always bowls his 10 overs, for the Kent first team he bats and 6 and bowled and for England U19s he's opening the batting and barely bowling a ball.

Currently watching him going absolutely berserk in a run-chase
    It is amazing to think how he's struggled in the second tier of the Kent League (averages 8.45 from 11 innings) but then not looked our of place in the Kent 1st XI and been very good for England U19s.