Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent CCC 2023

Comments

• Leuth said:
    Notts two spinners:

9-8-1-1
    Inspiring! Spin is an irrelevance in English cricket, they shrieked! Well now, I say!
    They've just taken at least one of them off - trying to blast the tail out!
  • We genuinely need to be relegated and regroup in a lower division. It’s been a woeful season and staying up will only mean we will struggle again next season. Does anyone actually want that same struggle again?  The coaching set up needs to be changed completely but I fear that won’t happen either. 
  • What a ridiculous situation where we're desperately hanging on for the draw. After Notts followed on.
  • 12 balls left
  • 86-6 and match drawn. We are now 2 points behind Middlesex. 
  • Thinking about it 168 from 32 overs was always going to be a really tough target unless we got off to a flyer. If we had cleaned them up just 7 overs earlier, 148 in 41 overs sounds very gettable.

The contrived declaration saw Warks chasing 176 in 60 overs. 
  • Slightly irritating too that Middlesex gained 1 or 2 more bowling points this morning as Lancashire chased quick runs.

I'm not sure the bonus points system makes sense, as 110 overs to get 400 runs for 3 batting points requires a good batting performance, whereas 110 overs to get 9 wickets is far easier.
  • Slightly irritating too that Middlesex gained 1 or 2 more bowling points this morning as Lancashire chased quick runs.

I'm not sure the bonus points system makes sense, as 110 overs to get 400 runs for 3 batting points requires a good batting performance, whereas 110 overs to get 9 wickets is far easier.
    400 runs is 4 batting points. Last season and prior it was 5 batting points.

This season 350 is 3 batting points.
  • edited September 2023
    We genuinely need to be relegated and regroup in a lower division. It’s been a woeful season and staying up will only mean we will struggle again next season. Does anyone actually want that same struggle again?  The coaching set up needs to be changed completely but I fear that won’t happen either. 
    I'm really not sure that going down is the answer simply because there are probably half the teams in the second tier as good as us and we are unlikely to attract the better (even though they won't be expensive ones) players in that division.

We will have to have a re-build though as there are question marks about all of the following. I'm not sure of the length of contracts for some of these:

Cox - going to Essex
    Hogan - will he play for another season or become Cook's replacement as bowling coach?
    Logan - hasn't been seen at 2s level for three months and generally accepted that he is leaving
    Blake - believe that he is out of contract and his limited opportunities, specifically in the Blast, suggests that he is on his way
    Crawley - centrally contracted but might he be tempted away nevertheless to somewhere like Surrey or, as per the latest rumour, Hampshire?
    Billings - has been in poor form in the CC for three or four seasons now and 100 runs in red ball from 12 innings this year says it all. Will he now just play in white ball given his allegiance to that other competition? 
    Bhuiyan - only on a short term contract. Might offer him another one year contract I suppose
    Klaassen - has played just five games for us this season due to injury and personal issues. Not sure if he has another year left or not but, if he doesn't, then we might not offer him a new contract

That leaves 14 namely Denly (Joe), Leaning, DBD, Compton, Evison, Muyeye, Finch, Qadri, Quinn, Gilchrist, Stewart, O'Riordan, Jas Singh and of course Parkinson. The obvious area of weakness is with the seam bowling but I suppose that, now that we have two decent spinners (and I would think that we will give Jaydn Denly a rookie contract too), we might try to go for two overseas quicks - Wes Agar and Spencer Johnson would be superb but availability, especially in the case of the latter, might well be the issue.  

• Sponsored links:

• LenGlover said:
    Slightly irritating too that Middlesex gained 1 or 2 more bowling points this morning as Lancashire chased quick runs.

I'll rephrase my point  :D

350 to get 3 batting points is far more of an achievement than taking 9 wickets in 110 overs! There's hardly any difference in the bowling bonus points between the best and worst sides, where even the poorest team Northants have got 28 out of 36, because they are so easy to pick up.

• LenGlover said:
    Slightly irritating too that Middlesex gained 1 or 2 more bowling points this morning as Lancashire chased quick runs.

Indeed. Key and McCullum were behind the change in batting points as is all about getting players to bat as they would like them to do so for England. Having to score consistently more than 4 runs an over does take some doing especially if your game is built around occupying the crease. 
  • Is Simon Cook capable of sorting out this mess and taking the necessary tough decisions?
  • LordDofB said:
    Is Simon Cook capable of sorting out this mess and taking the necessary tough decisions?
    He needs to have a strong word with the current bowling coach.
  • LordDofB said:
    Is Simon Cook capable of sorting out this mess and taking the necessary tough decisions?
    He needs to have a strong word with the current bowling coach.
    Though having a serious word with the current Head Coach might, currently anyway, be beyond his station
  • This is going great guns so far, however having been saddled with the twin curse of supporting Charlton and Kent, well you know what I am getting at………
    Oh WHY did I post this yesterday ☹️
  • IAgree said:
    Bazball Kent! The great escape!
    Nearly……
  • One aspect that doesn't appear to have gone down too well with the supporters is the fact that the Club Captain was at a corporate event at his second home, The Oval, along with Steve Harmison and Darren Gough and then spent the day watching England play. 
  • One aspect that doesn't appear to have gone down too well with the supporters is the fact that the Club Captain was at a corporate event at his second home, The Oval, along with Steve Harmison and Darren Gough and then spent the day watching England play. 
    Ouch that’s not a good look at all. 
  • According to Matt Walker, Gilchrist "gritted his teeth with a pretty sore hamstring". That partially explains his lack of penetration but does question even more the decision to delay Chahal's introduction. 
  • Sponsored links:

That's poor. Surely this wasn't a last minute thing either, booked when he didn't play this week?
    That's poor. Surely this wasn't a last minute thing either, booked when he didn't play this week?
    I don't know when Billings was booked but I do know that he posted on social media him being on the stage in the Green Room at the Oval followed by a long distance shot of the game so he was hardly trying to hide the fact that he wasn't at the Kent game 
  • There's loyalty for you...not ! 

Very disappointed in him & his attitude. 

When's his contract up ? 

When's his contract up ? 
    He signed a new three year contract last year 

When's his contract up ? 
    He signed a new three year contract last year 
    B*GGER !
  • We genuinely need to be relegated and regroup in a lower division. It’s been a woeful season and staying up will only mean we will struggle again next season. Does anyone actually want that same struggle again?  The coaching set up needs to be changed completely but I fear that won’t happen either. 
    I'm really not sure that going down is the answer simply because there are probably half the teams in the second tier as good as us and we are unlikely to attract the better (even though they won't be expensive ones) players in that division.

We will have to have a re-build though as there are question marks about all of the following. I'm not sure of the length of contracts for some of these:

Cox - going to Essex
    Hogan - will he play for another season or become Cook's replacement as bowling coach?
    Logan - hasn't been seen at 2s level for three months and generally accepted that he is leaving
    Blake - believe that he is out of contract and his limited opportunities, specifically in the Blast, suggests that he is on his way
    Crawley - centrally contracted but might he be tempted away nevertheless to somewhere like Surrey or, as per the latest rumour, Hampshire?
    Billings - has been in poor form in the CC for three or four seasons now and 100 runs in red ball from 12 innings this year says it all. Will he now just play in white ball given his allegiance to that other competition? 
    Bhuiyan - only on a short term contract. Might offer him another one year contract I suppose
    Klaassen - has played just five games for us this season due to injury and personal issues. Not sure if he has another year left or not but, if he doesn't, then we might not offer him a new contract

That leaves 14 namely Denly (Joe), Leaning, DBD, Compton, Evison, Muyeye, Finch, Qadri, Quinn, Gilchrist, Stewart, O'Riordan, Jas Singh and of course Parkinson. The obvious area of weakness is with the seam bowling but I suppose that, now that we have two decent spinners (and I would think that we will give Jaydn Denly a rookie contract too), we might try to go for two overseas quicks - Wes Agar and Spencer Johnson would be superb but availability, especially in the case of the latter, might well be the issue.  

Crawley has extended his contract for another year. How much we see him if he starts playing white ball for England as well as Test cricket is another thing.

Cox - going to Essex

Crawley has extended his contract for another year. How much we see him if he starts playing white ball for England as well as Test cricket is another thing.
    If Crawley leaves jt will be for cricket reasons. 
    For example if Kent get relegated. 
    Money will not tempt him away as he comes from a multi million pound family. 
  • edited September 2023
    We genuinely need to be relegated and regroup in a lower division. It’s been a woeful season and staying up will only mean we will struggle again next season. Does anyone actually want that same struggle again?  The coaching set up needs to be changed completely but I fear that won’t happen either. 

Cox - going to Essex

If Crawley leaves jt will be for cricket reasons. 
    For example if Kent get relegated. 
    Money will not tempt him away as he comes from a multi million pound family. 
    Crawley has signed a 1 year extension with Kent - don’t see the point really, he rarely plays, so why not use his wages to get someone who will be available to play 🤷

Edit - I see someone already posted his extension - apologies 
  • I doubt we'll be paying Zak much, seeing that he's on a central contract.

Sussex have extended Archer's contract, and they'll see even less of him!
  • Aron Nijjar is being released by Essex. Having signed Parkinson, with Qadri already and no doubt young Denly about to be awarded a rookie contract I can't see us signing him permanently though. The others to be leaving Essex are Josh Rymell, Eshun Kelly and Will Buttleman, the latter becoming even more surplus to requirements than he was already with the arrival of Cox.