Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent CCC 2023

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2023
    The "returning from England" rules are very confusing, especially as the rules for subbing in bowlers are more lax than for batsmen.
  • Options
    Crawley not there. I assume that he could come in for the second innings but as Compton was the nominated person to be left out we might have made the decision that Crawley should take his time to come back and that Compton should bat all day today. Billings not there either seemingly and mischieviously posting on social media that he is at the Walpole Tidal Pool in Margate. Radio silence from Kent on both counts. 

• Options
    Surrey have Jacks back but Smith will come in for the third innings. Crawley, apparently, was never going to come back today but, if he is going to play, then he needs to be available for at least half of the game. Crystal clear these rules aren't they!!!
  • Options
    Middx 184-4 and Eskinazi back in to bat so he didn't suffer from concussion after all
  • Options
    No sign of @Leuth today? Probably out celebrating Worcestershire's promotion or, possibly, out of respect for our plight, choosing not to laud his team's success? 
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    18-0 after 12 overs.
    Could we bat any slower?
  • Options
    Are we in a rush. Given our batting lately, this is cool.
  • Options
    Mueye out for 46 (61)

64-1
  • Options
    Eskinazi now out (as opposed to "out cold") and Middx are 225-5
  • Options
    No sign of @Leuth today? Probably out celebrating Worcestershire's promotion or, possibly, out of respect for our plight, choosing not to laud his team's success? 
    Been watching the stream ofc!

Assuming Middlesex get to 300, Kent need to get to...300 as well?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Middx now 241-6.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Been watching the stream ofc!

Assuming Middlesex get to 300, Kent need to get to...300 as well?
    Unless Middx don't take 9 wickets in Notts' first innings. And assuming both teams have the same result too. 
  • Options
    There are 58 bowlers in the County Championship that have taken more wickets than our top wicket taker(s). That is quite a sobering stat. 
  • Options
    Middx at 252-6 have their first bonus point of the game and third batting point of the season
  • Options
    DBD out for 3

82-2 
  • Options
    If we finish level on points with Middlesex, do we stay up on head to head as we beat them?
  • Options
    If we finish level on points with Middlesex, do we stay up on head to head as we beat them?
    No, I believe it is overall wins and they have one more than us
  • Options
    There are 58 bowlers in the County Championship that have taken more wickets than our top wicket taker(s). That is quite a sobering stat. 
    Although there are also 48 batsmen that have scored more runs than our top run scorer 
  • Options
    91-2 at lunch and 236 runs behind Lancs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    AA - it is almost like you are saying we are having a poor season....
    I suppose I am saying that but, perhaps, also that all are players can take comfort in their respective mediocrity. I actually said that once to a Kent age group coach once about a team Seb played in and it was absolutely true. This was an extremely talented group who were underperforming. It only takes one player to step up and start to get runs or take wickets and then other players think "if he can do it then so can I". Players are undoubtedly, initially at least, introspective when they get out cheaply or bowl badly but if they can look around that dressing room and think that everyone else has been bang average too then, all of a sudden. things aren't so bad . Most of the time that is just a confidence rather than ability thing although one would expect the senior pros to be the ones leading the way in terms of "turning up and setting an example". By that I mean the process of restoring your game than, necessarily, the result of that process. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I suppose I am saying that but, perhaps, also that all are players can take comfort in their respective mediocrity. I actually said that once to a Kent age group coach once about a team Seb played in and it was absolutely true. This was an extremely talented group who were underperforming. It only takes one player to step up and start to get runs or take wickets and then other players think "if he can do it then so can I". Players are undoubtedly, initially at least, introspective when they get out cheaply or bowl badly but if they can look around that dressing room and think that everyone else has been bang average too then, all of a sudden. things aren't so bad . Most of the time that is just a confidence rather than ability thing although one would expect the senior pros to be the ones leading the way in terms of "turning up and setting an example". By that I mean the process of restoring your game than, necessarily, the result of that process. 
    Be proactive rather  than reactive ?
  • Options
    Middx 274-6 at lunch. Higgins on 99*. Really don't wish the bloke anything bad in life but do hope, for our sake, that nerves get the better of him!
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    MrOneLung said:
    Be proactive rather  than reactive ?
    Indeed. For example, there have been opportunities this season for out of form senior pros to play 2s cricket. Now they might have some very good reasons for not doing so but, if the remedy is to take time away from the game rather than actually playing, then that sets the precedent for younger players to go down that path. Very often, those youngsters do not enjoy the backstop of a long term contract and they are the very ones who would benefit from the advice of someone who has been there playing in the 2s with them. Equally, if a senior pro isn't in the side and not playing 2s cricket then I would expect, at the very least, them to be there supporting the team, especially in the situation we have found ourselves in, because the message should be that "we are all in this together regardless of form or selection". They do not need to and should not be asking for the week off in those circumstances. 
  • Options
    100-2
  • Options
    Middx 274-6 at lunch. Higgins on 99*. Really don't wish the bloke anything bad in life but do hope, for our sake, that nerves get the better of him!
    Well that didn't work! Higgins has his ton. Good luck to the lad. Now please "shoulder arms"!!!

279-6
  • Options
    Well that didn't work! Higgins has his ton. Good luck to the lad. Now please "shoulder arms"!!!

279-6
    Good player Higgins. Quite a feisty character, I remember him once getting some stick at Canterbury!
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Middx have a batting point and seemingly on the attack too - 22 runs off the last two overs with Yadav 20 off his last 9 balls

314-6
  • Options
    Poor Notts bowling performance to allow Middlesex batting points. Couldn't they have pinched some Worcs bowlers for this match?
  • Options
    138-3, Leaning bowled by the spinner.

I can see Middlesex getting more batting points than us, which could be fatal