Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent CCC 2023

Comments

• Off for bad light :/
  • And Notts all out with a lead of 18
  • That's it for the day
  • Given that our game is looking like a draw (I hope) it will be interesting to see what Middlesex do in their second innings. They surely have to risk all and go for the win? Or do they sit tight and hope we capitulate (as we have done many times before). Are Lancashire likely to declare and go for the win? It's going to be a nervous day tomorrow.
    I am more concerned about what is happening at Trent Bridge than at Canterbury. Our game, given the likely weather and current state of play, is more than likely going to be a draw. I emailed in to the commentary team about a possible Middx declaration because, although Notts lost having declared in the first game, they are batting last and it's virtually a "free hit" for them to try and win, thereby finishing above Somerset. If they lose a few wickets they can still try and shut up shop. There are still 114 overs left in that game and only a 10 run difference between the sides.   
  • Given that our game is looking like a draw (I hope) it will be interesting to see what Middlesex do in their second innings. They surely have to risk all and go for the win? Or do they sit tight and hope we capitulate (as we have done many times before). Are Lancashire likely to declare and go for the win? It's going to be a nervous day tomorrow.
    I am more concerned about what is happening at Trent Bridge than at Canterbury. Our game, given the likely weather and current state of play, is more than likely going to be a draw. I emailed in to the commentary team about a possible Middx declaration because, although Notts lost having declared in the first game, they are batting last and it's virtually a "free hit" for them to try and win, thereby finishing above Somerset. If they lose a few wickets they can still try and shut up shop. There are still 114 overs left in that game and only a 10 run difference between the sides.   
    I'm sure Middlesex will try to get a lead and declare, but it's going to take a miracle to get a decent lead and then take 10 wickets on what seems a flat pitch. And so far everything seems very normal, opening bowlers against opening batmen.
  • Think they've gone off at Trent Bridge
    We shall see, but I think both matches will be draws 
  • MrOneLung said:
    they are gonna get 200 ahead and roll us over aint they?
    That's my only concern. They declare tomorrow afternoon and we crumple to 34-4
    Me too!

Anyone speak to Fanny before she left for Nottingham with her dancing shoes?
  • MrOneLung said:
    they are gonna get 200 ahead and roll us over aint they?
    That's my only concern. They declare tomorrow afternoon and we crumple to 34-4
    Me too!

Anyone speak to Fanny before she left for Nottingham with her dancing shoes?
    Is Nottingham on the way to Shrewsbury ?  :)
  • It's funny how certain results come back to haunt you. Back in July, Middx were set 323 to beat Northants off 92 overs. They finished on 322-6 with Robson on 126* off 252 balls for a scores level draw. One more run and Middx would be currently 14 points ahead of us and only needing a draw to send us down. Perhaps "funny" is the wrong word and for us "lucky" will, hopefully, be the more pertinent one. 
  • Sponsored links:

• "Weather" it's good or bad for us, there doesn't look like there's going to be any rain today at either Canterbury or Trent Bridge
  • Billings posted yesterday that he was playing Padel Tennis at Roehampton in what he described as a "Big Tourno". Glad his job description and contract, as Club Captain, doesn't encompass supporting the team especially at what is a crucial time of the season.

Cook has been at pains to say that the captaincy situation is one that they will decide over the course of the winter and that there is no hurry to do so. That suggests that Billings will be fulfilling the remaining two years of his contract albeit that he might end up playing in The Blast only. 
  • Middx showing their intent - 15 runs off the first two overs
  • Is your commentary way out of sync with the pictures? I can't work out whether it's slow or fast!
  • Is your commentary way out of sync with the pictures? I can't work out whether it's slow or fast!
    The commentary is 20 seconds slow
  • It's funny how certain results come back to haunt you. Back in July, Middx were set 323 to beat Northants off 92 overs. They finished on 322-6 with Robson on 126* off 252 balls for a scores level draw. One more run and Middx would be currently 14 points ahead of us and only needing a draw to send us down. Perhaps "funny" is the wrong word and for us "lucky" will, hopefully, be the more pertinent one. 
    ECB desperately trying to figure out a way to implement a reserve day for a game that concluded two months ago…
    After a dismal year Northants go and bury Essex in three days. Funny old game.

Good luck Kent, hope we are not playing you next season.   
  • Stoneman out for Middx. 34-1 and a lead of 16
  • That stat about Sam Robson being the only player to have scored more than 73 in an innings in the CC this season is absolutely bonkers!
  • Holden out

61-2 and a lead of 43
  • Sponsored links:

• No Kent players but I know of at least one person on here who will be pleased with the BBC Team of the Year:

Lees (Durham)
    Libby (Worcs)
    Bohannon (Lancs)
    Westley (Essex)
    Rew (Somerset)
    du Plooy (Derbyshire)
    Dawson (Hants)
    Harmer (Essex)
    Clark (Surrey)
    Hutton (Notts)
    Porter (Essex)
  • The Canterbury pitch has been odd this season, just getting easier and easier as games progress. Yes the Surrey loss was horrendous, but a Day 4 pitch shouldn't be that easy to bat on.
  • Notts have put loads of fielders deep fwiw, absolutely no intention of letting Middlesex set a quick total. They don't want to hand it to Middlesex; I'd go as far as to say they've expressed a preference for who they want relegated, which bodes well for Kent
  • No play at Edgbaston yet, surprising that Trent Bridge wasn't affected
  • To be fair to Notts they haven't, yet anyway, brought on their part time bowlers so it looks like the onus is going to be solely on Middx to decide on the declaration

77-2 off 14 overs for a lead of 59 with 83 overs to go 
  • No play at Edgbaston yet, surprising that Trent Bridge wasn't affected
    The clue is in the names 'West Midlands' and 'East Midlands' and in the basic facts of UK geography
  • Omg hilarious freak run-out for Middlesex. Borderline unsporting, but Mullaney isn't withdrawing appeal. They REALLY want Middlesex down :D
  • Leuth said:
    Notts have put loads of fielders deep fwiw, absolutely no intention of letting Middlesex set a quick total. They don't want to hand it to Middlesex; I'd go as far as to say they've expressed a preference for who they want relegated, which bodes well for Kent
    Or maybe they know they can probably get Middlesex out for cheap, knowing they just have to go for it ? 
  • (Actually, not unsporting at all. If you block the ball as non-striker, the fielder can do as they wish!)
  • Leuth said:
    Omg hilarious freak run-out for Middlesex. Borderline unsporting, but Mullaney isn't withdrawing appeal. They REALLY want Middlesex down :D

Great assist by Robson