Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent CCC 2023

Comments

• Bopara being released by Sussex. Wouldn't mind him popping up at Kent next season!
    There might be a place for him if a certain hard hitting batsman, who is only being utilised during an injury crisis, isn't with us as I believe he won't be. 
  • edited July 2023
    I see that DBD, Klaassen and Muyeye have been picked up as wildcards in The Hundred. As far as I can see the other ones we've lost are Crawley, Billings and Cox (so that's five batsmen and a seamer) which would leave us with this as our squad for the 50 over competition: 

Compton
    Denly
    Leaning
    Finch
    Blake
    O'Riordan
    Evison
    Linde
    Logan
    Qadri
    Gilchrist
    Quinn
    Stewart
    Singh (Jas)
    Bhuiyan
    Hogan

Of the 16, Gilchrist and Logan may not be available as they do not even appear to be playing 2nd X! cricket at present. That really does leave us short and I would not be surprised if there isn't a call up one or two club cricketers to supplement the squad. 

• Interesting that  Leaning has missed out this year, with Denly missing again. Quite damning that Linde wasn't wanted really.

Muyeye's recent form got him the callup you imagine.

The squad doesn't look too bad, maybe 1 or 2 batters short if there are injuries. Plenty of spin options, and a good chance for Singh and Bhuiyan to get some overs. 
  • One thing that I hadn't realised is that players can be released back to counties if they aren't being used by their franchise which is a lot better than the situation we've had previously
  • One thing that I hadn't realised is that players can be released back to counties if they aren't being used by their franchise which is a lot better than the situation we've had previously
    Is that a change for this year? It wasnt the case last year and something I know Alec Stewart was pushing the powers that be to introduce as we had 3 players in the hundred last year who didnt play a single game and a handful others who only played 1 or 2.
    Is that a change for this year? It wasnt the case last year and something I know Alec Stewart was pushing the powers that be to introduce as we had 3 players in the hundred last year who didnt play a single game and a handful others who only played 1 or 2.
    We had the likes of Leaning last season not playing a minute in The Hundred last season too but it is my understanding that they can be released this year. Whether that is on a game to game basis or after a period of time following splinter rash as a result of sitting on the bench I'm not aware
  • I've since discovered that Linde is in the draft for the Caribbean Premier League and that starts on 16th August. Presumably Kent have agreed to this. 
  • I've since discovered that Linde is in the draft for the Caribbean Premier League and that starts on 16th August. Presumably Kent have agreed to this. 
    Win-win surely. Don't have to play him or pay him. Result!
  • I haven't got any information as to what has happened to O'Riordan but he "retired not out" in the first innings. The NV play video, unfortunately, shows the ball before he did so and tells us nothing but he didn't come back to bat and has been removed from the batting list for the second innings. I just hope that this isn't a recurrence of the injury that is preventing him from bowling post operation.  
  • Sponsored links:

• 13 man squad for CC game against Warwickshire - Agar, DBD, Gilchrist and O'Riordan all injured and Billings once again left out of squad. Jas Singh included following his 8 wickets last week for the 2s as is Finch (averages 64.22 in the 2s Championship) after his ton in the same game

• Bopara being released by Sussex. Wouldn't mind him popping up at Kent next season!
    There might be a place for him if a certain hard hitting batsman, who is only being utilised during an injury crisis, isn't with us as I believe he won't be. 
    That same hard hitting batsman is currently playing a three day game (alongside his friend and fellow Hayes CC player, Will McVicar) for Cornwall against Devon, making 102 off 85 balls. A sign of things to come? 

https://cornwallccc.play-cricket.com/website/results/5618066
    Worst overseas player ever .  
  • wmcf123 said:
    I've since discovered that Linde is in the draft for the Caribbean Premier League and that starts on 16th August. Presumably Kent have agreed to this. 
    No one is ever likely to take that accolade from Miguel Cummins - in the County Championship his record in 2021 was 162.2-19-622-6. That's 6 wickets at 103.66 and an economy rate of 3.83

Unfortunately, that stint with us appears to have ruined the lad. Since then he has played just two professional matches - both for Barbados in 2022 
  • wmcf123 said:
    I've since discovered that Linde is in the draft for the Caribbean Premier League and that starts on 16th August. Presumably Kent have agreed to this. 
    No one is ever likely to take that accolade from Miguel Cummins - in the County Championship his record in 2021 was 162.2-19-622-6. That's 6 wickets at 103.66 and an economy rate of 3.83

Unfortunately, that stint with us appears to have ruined the lad. Since then he has played just two professional matches - both for Barbados in 2022 
    That was a short term deal though. We signed Linde for TWO seasons!
  • wmcf123 said:

More than half a season wasn't "short term" enough for Cummins!!!

As for Linde, he has been awful in the CC but, if you look at his overall Blast averages, he isn't the worst:

Batting - 22.84 average with a strike rate of 150.94
    Bowling - 26 wickets at 29.07 with an economy rate of 8.21

For comparison purposes, if we took someone like Qais Ahmed who was a success in my opinion, for example:

Batting - 7.36 average with a strike rate of 122.72
    Bowling - 24 wickets at 29.00 with an economy rate of 7.10

So Linde and Qais have the same bowling average, albeit that Qais saves a run an over but there is absolutely no comparison between their batting. Linde in the side means that we can have that extra bowler whereas Qais never offered us that
  • Kent have won the toss and elected to bat:

• TS Muyeye
    •  BG Compton
    •  JL Denly
    •  HZ Finch
    •  JA Leaning*
    •  JM Cox†
    •  JDM Evison
    •  G Stewart
    •  Hamidullah Qadri
    •  MR Quinn
    •  Arshdeep Singh
  • wmcf123 said:

As for Linde, he has been awful in the CC but, if you look at his overall Blast averages, he isn't the worst:

For comparison purposes, if we took someone like Qais Ahmed who was a success in my opinion, for example:

So Linde and Qais have the same bowling average, albeit that Qais saves a run an over but there is absolutely no comparison between their batting. Linde in the side means that we can have that extra bowler whereas Qais never offered us that
    Linde has been decent this season in the Blast, but he wasn't just signed to play in the Blast, which meant we ended up with a wasted overseas spot and wage in the CC.
  • wmcf123 said:

Linde has been decent this season in the Blast, but he wasn't just signed to play in the Blast, which meant we ended up with a wasted overseas spot and wage in the CC.
    I agree though the financial implications of that contract hasn't prevented us from signing two other overseas at times for the CC. Linde's contract would, undoubtedly, be more because he was signed for all codes but he certainly wouldn't cost us twice as much due to that factor. In fact, I would love to see what someone like Matt Henry is commanding to play either CC or Blast alone let alone both. 
  • Compton caught behind for 9

21-1
  • Sponsored links:

• Denly LBW for 1. That's 32 runs in 8 innings in the CC this season

26-2
  • It's all going pear shape! Finch out for a duck

26-3

Muyeye 19*
  • Every time you post, it's another wicket  :#
  • What’s Ben Compton averaging this season ? Doesn’t feel anywhere near as good as before 
  • FFS !!! 

But it can only improve....now 30 -3  :)
  • Every time you post, it's another wicket  :#
    It's a gift. There you go, no wicket!
  • What’s Ben Compton averaging this season ? Doesn’t feel anywhere near as good as before 
    He hasn't but his average of 33.92 is still a lot better than Cox (27.91), Leaning (24.41), Billings (9.19) and Denly (4.00). In fact, Compton has 475 runs from 15 innings whereas Billings and Denly have between them 124 runs from 18 innings. 
  • edited July 2023
    Every time you post, it's another wicket  :#
    It's a gift. There you go, no wicket!
    Apologies but there has been another wicket. Muyeye has sold Leaning down the river and run his captain out

40-4
  • It DOESN'T get better ! 

Now 40-4  !
    He hasn't but his average of 33.92 is still a lot better than Cox (27.91), Leaning (24.41), Billings (9.19) and Denly (4.00). In fact, Compton has 475 runs from 15 innings whereas Billings and Denly have between them 124 runs from 18 innings. 
     This is not based on any evidence rather than my memory but doesn't cox generally score more runs as the season progresses.