Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent CCC 2023

Comments

• This is what happens when you lose your best player's to play in an absolutely shit competition called the Hundred. 
    I used to love the 50 over competition but now it's a joke. 

#fuck the Hundred 
    Much as the 100 annoys me, all counties are in the same boat, indeed we won this competition last year despite losing several players.
    Not quite in the same boat in the sense that, for example, in the first year Glamorgan did not lose a single player and ended up winning the Royal London. Last season we were much stronger as we had at our disposal the likes of Denly (injured), Stevens (retired) and Robinson (left) who scored over a thousand runs between them in the competition. Gilchrist took 14 wickets too and at the moment he looks a shadow of his former self. 
  • This is what happens when you lose your best player's to play in an absolutely shit competition called the Hundred. 

#fuck the Hundred 
    Much as the 100 annoys me, all counties are in the same boat, indeed we won this competition last year despite losing several players.

I think it’s a strength in depth issue - we haven’t got any. 
  • Seems like we are woeful in every department?

#fuck the Hundred 
    Not quite in the same boat in the sense that, for example, in the first year Glamorgan did not lose a single player and ended up winning the Royal London. Last season we were much stronger as we had at our disposal the likes of Denly (injured), Stevens (retired) and Robinson (left) who scored over a thousand runs between them in the competition. Gilchrist took 14 wickets too and at the moment he looks a shadow of his former self. 
    We've gained Leaning who's not in the 100 this year, plus Hogan and Parkinson. Could have played Quinn instead of Gilchrist also. Or are they all injured as well?
  • edited August 2023
    This is what happens when you lose your best player's to play in an absolutely shit competition called the Hundred. 

#fuck the Hundred 
    We've gained Leaning who's not in the 100 this year, plus Hogan and Parkinson. Could have played Quinn instead of Gilchrist also. Or are they all injured as well?
    "Missing" from last season:

Robinson - 534 runs @ 59.33
    Stevens - 250 runs @ 125.00 plus 0 wickets but 41 overs with an E/R of 4.87
    Denly - 293 runs @ 41.85 plus 7 wickets @ 30.12 with an E/R of 5.12 
    Muyeye - 81 runs @ 27.00 plus 1 wicket @ 17.00 with an E/R of 4.25
    Linde - 30 runs @ 30.00 plus 2 wickets @ 66.00 with an E/R of 6.82
    Podmore - 43 runs @ 14.33 plus 7 wickets @ 28.28 with an E/R of 5.65
    Saini -  13 runs @ N/A plus 5 wickets @ 58.00 with an E/R of 6.54
    Henry - 0 runs plus 3 wickets @ 18.66 with an E/R of 5.60

"Gained" this season: 

O'Riordan - 9 runs @ 4.50
    Leaning - 39 runs @ 19.50 plus 0 wickets with an E/R of 6.50
    Bazley - 5 runs @ 2.50 plus 4 wickets 25.75 with an E/R 6.87  
    Parkinson - 0 runs @ 0.00 plus 3 wickets @ 31.00 with an E/R of 7.50
    Lister - yet to play

Hogan isn't going to play for us as he is Assistant Coach in this comp and the reason why we have signed Bazley and Lister (plus we have Jas Singh and Bhuiyan in reserve)
    Gilchrist clearly isn't (as yet) the same bowler this season (0 wickets and E/R of 10.83 yesterday and figures of 2-430 in all games since the end of last season) as last year (14 wickets @ 32.71 with an E/R of 6.81) but he had to play at some point otherwise he would never get match fit (we have no 2s games 'til September) and was better than Quinn last season (7 wickets @ 38.85 and the worst E/R of 8.07 in the squad)

From a batting perspective, we had Robinson, Denly, Stevens and Muyeye available to us. We've effectively replaced them with Leaning, O'Riordan and Bazley. 
  • A bit like the preceeding Championship match, one team show that the wicket is a good one for batting on, and Kent then come on and conjure a total that is utterly embarassing. My only hope for this season now is that we can somehow grow enough spine to get a win and maybe a draw or two to keep our place in the top tier, but I literally cannot see this being worth chasing unless we can get a better squad for next season.  Frankly, a lot of these wil find division 2 a struggle.
  • We play Lancashire on Wednesday but Parkinson won't be allowed to play. I wonder at what stage players are released from the Hundred back to their counties because as far as I'm aware neither DBD or Muyeye have played as yet. 
  • We play Lancashire on Wednesday but Parkinson won't be allowed to play. I wonder at what stage players are released from the Hundred back to their counties because as far as I'm aware neither DBD or Muyeye have played as yet. 
    Amongst other other things with the Hundred, a lot of he players seconded don't; even play!
  • Sponsored links:

• Didn’t go on Sunday, mad long drive back from Cornwall on Friday, glorious opening day game on Saturday and simply not keen on the ground. For me it’s a pig of a place to get to, the wicket is usually a street and I don’t like the stand. St Lawrence or the Neville ground any day (although it’s good there is cricket which is in London I guess).

However Kent were v poor early in the competition last year so let’s hope for a turnaround!
  • The sad case of James Logan. In a couple of the months time he will come to the end of his contract with us and it is safe to assume that his contract is not going to be renewed given he hasn't played for the First Team in any form of the game for almost two years. So what has gone wrong?

Logan played two matches for his native county, Yorkshire, between 2018 and 2020 before being released amid limited opportunities with the first team. He joined us on a two-month contract in June 2021 after impressing in trials for the club's Second XI and took 1 for 14 from three overs against Hampshire in his Vitality Blast debut. He claimed three wickets in his maiden first-class appearance for Kent, at Lancashire, before making his List A debut in the 2021 Royal London Cup. A debut in the 2021 Royal London Cup and earning a permanent contract to the end of the 2023 season but played for the Second XI through 2022 and this season too up until 1st June when he was picked for his final game for the 2s returning figures of 3-0-13-2.

Logan has also been turning out for the Vine in the Kent League for the last three years with, it is fair to say, moderate success with bat and ball. So was he ever really that good? Well his First Class stats of 12 wickets at 17.00 and an E/R of 2.54 would suggest that he once had something about him but that wasn't enough to persevere with even though we gave him a three year contract. 

After talent, confidence in ones own ability is the most important commodity that any sports person needs to possess. That arrogance. That "I don't just belong on this stage, I own it". History is littered with those that had the talent but not that self-belief. I just wonder if Logan is one of those. That whatever worked for him at one time doesn't any longer. Of all the disciplines in cricket I would have to say the art of spin bowling seems to find the most victims. Simon Kerrigan, Amir Virdi, Ravi Patel and our own Adam Riley readily spring to mind. Did they fall down the pecking order because they just had that one discipline and one that, as we found in the absence of Jack Leach, isn't producing out and out spinners but batsmen who bowl spin - Will Jacks and Liam Livingstone for example - and who can justify their place in the side with their batting.   

Some might argue that Logan's been stealing a living but he didn't force anyone to give him a contract. Up until the last couple of months he spent all of his time carrying the drinks for the First Team on the odd occasion but, mostly until the last couple of months, plying his trade in the stiffs. I'm sure that it was doing his brain in trying to make things work for him. He is thoroughly approachable, a seemingly good bloke and whatever the reasons I wish him all the best for the future. It's surely better to have played professional cricket than never to have played at all and who knows, he might come back better for the experience be it in cricket or any other field of his choosing. I sincerely hope so.  
    It is a shame, but as you say, weird he got given a three year contract.  The only Vine game I've stood in this season (at Bexley), Logan batted at 7, scoring 12 off 35 balls before being bowled, and only bowled right at the end. At that point, Bexley were clawing themselves back into the game, and Logan picked up the ninth wicket (Jas Singh), but his two overs went for 17. 

His bowling style is a little strange, and he goes very wide at the crease with his front foot; that must hamper his wicket taking chances unless it's turning square...

I wish him good luck but if he doesn't have a Kent contract, and the Vine go down, I think it doubtful he'll stay around to play in Sevenoaks next year...
  • Simon Cook has named a squad of 13 for the Spitfires’ trip to Blackpool.

Daniel Bell-Drummond has been released by London Spirit to play in this match. Players are only eligible for release if their Hundred team has played at least two matches in The Hundred & the respective player has not been named in the starting XI for their Hundred team’s last two matches. Players also cannot play for their county on the same day as their Hundred franchise plays.

Joe Denly has travelled with the squad as the Club’s medical team continues to assess his side strain. Should he not play, Jack Leaning, who made his 100th Kent appearance in all formats last time out, will continue to captain the side.

Matt Parkinson will not be able to play in this match due to the loan agreement in place with Lancashire. Nathan Gilchrist & Marcus O’Riordan have not made the trip to minimise workload as they return from their long-term injuries.

• Welcome home, Deebs. 

Let's see what you can do tomorrow.
  • Three changes from the last match - O'Riordan, Parkinson and Gilchrist replaced by DBD, Quinn and Jas Singh 

Kent won the toss and elected to bowl

https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/fixture/lancashire-vs-kent-spitfires-2/?tab=m_summary 
  • Roll them over for 220 and win by 7 wickets 
  • 117-1 off 25
  • 202-2 off 38
  • 237-3 off 43
  • Roll them over for 280 and win by 6 wickets 
  • Sponsored links:

• 328-5 off 50

Bizarrely, I think that Stewart must have tweaked something because his opening spell of 6 overs went for just 17 and he didn't then bowl any of the remaining 38 overs. He might not be the best of death bowlers but, if he isn't injured (and he fielded throughout) then it does look rather strange that he wasn't brought back at any stage. Best of the other bowlers was Bazley with 10-2-46-2 followed by Jas Singh who picked up 3 for 74 off 10 overs on what is his List A debut. Leaning took 4 catches. 
  • restrict them to 328 and win by 4 wickets 
  • Lucky we won the toss, or this could have been tricky!
  • I wonder how much Northants are having to pay Prithvi Shaw. On his debut for them he hit 244 off 152 balls out of a total of 415-8 against Somerset!!!
  • Three changes from the last match - O'Riordan, Parkinson and Gilchrist replaced by DBD, Quinn and Jas Singh 

Kent won the toss and elected to bowl

https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/fixture/lancashire-vs-kent-spitfires-2/?tab=m_summary 
    Putting the opposition on to repeat the success from the previous game...
  • 41-2 off 10
  • 97-4 off 20
  • edited August 2023
    148-5 off 31.1

Edit - 148-6 off 31.2

We will do well to win this now.............

• I wonder how much Northants are having to pay Prithvi Shaw. On his debut for them he hit 244 off 152 balls out of a total of 415-8 against Somerset!!!
    I saw him against Sussex at Northampton on Sunday. He looked very dangerous until he played on. Fortunately, he only got 20-odd.
  • 153-7

The difference between the two sides, batting wise, is that four of Lancs top 5 reached 20 and went on to get 51, 57, 97 and 107. Four of our top 6 reached 20 but got out for 24, 30, 31 and 38.