Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent CCC 2023

Comments

• DubaiCAFC said:
    I know Jaydn is a very talented player, and is going to have a good career. Unless he has been scoring runs for Kent 2s, he has had a poor season for Whitstable averaging just 10 runs. If he plays today, bit of pressure on him to come in and score a few.. 
    Jaydn's record in the Kent League is poor but he has scored some runs for the 2s. It is a step up but, there again, many of those he will come across today will be of the level he has played against in the 2s - for example, he played against Surrey 2s at the start of June and in the Surrey side were Patel, Sibley, Geddes, Blake, Reifer, Steel, Majid, Moriarty, Taylor, Virdi and Barnwell and eight of those are in Surrey's squad today.

Part of me feels that this has come about for two reasons - one because we are genuinely short of players but two because Kent want to send a message to members that we do have some decent youngsters coming through. The issue is that they have to go down to the 17 year olds to find them and there is no guarantee that they will make it either. Having said that, giving Jaydn the experience at this young age will stand him in good stead and he will, at least, have a mentor in his uncle to help him through the occasion.

• With Evison now injured, the whole balance of the team is likely to be wrong unless we do actually play Jaydn and perhaps that is the very reason he has been added to the squad. That being the case, I suspect that we might line up something like this:

Compton
    DBD
    Leaning
    Blake
    Finch
    Bazley
    Denly (Jaydn)
    Stewart
    Qadri
    Gilchrist
    Singh
    Parkinson
    So Surrey have decided to be generous & allow us to have 12 in our team tomorrow. 

I'd settle for that. :)
    I told you the balance of the team was wrong. Playing 12 was the only way I could sort it!!! I'm not sure Jaydn will get in the side on that basis because I'm don't think we will go in with four front line bowlers plus Jaydn/Leaning/DBD to bowl the other 10 overs especially following our refusal to bring Stewart back in the last match after he went for just 17 runs in 6 overs. 
    If they leave Stewart out that still gives them 5x bowlers - Singh ,Gilchrist, Qadri ,Bazeley,  Parky. With JD/Leaning/DBD picking up any of the 50 not completed by the 5 front liners 
    I appreciate that though the issue in doing so is that we are going in with just three seamers of which Singh is a relative rookie, Gilchrist has been out injured for most of the season and is being used sparingly as a result and Bazley has been plucked from club cricket albeit that he has been OK with the ball - he's only managed 5 runs with the bat in 3 inning - plus DBD who I don't think has bowled a ball this season. I can't remember that last time we did that given we've been blessed with having the likes of Stevens and/or Evison in the side. 

It's a risk whatever we do and perhaps the wrong thing to say that we are going to have to weaken the batting or bowling whichever way we go because we haven't been great in either discipline. For that reason, I have no issue with the likes of Jaydn being given a game or two because we aren't going to win the competition this season. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    I know Jaydn is a very talented player, and is going to have a good career. Unless he has been scoring runs for Kent 2s, he has had a poor season for Whitstable averaging just 10 runs. If he plays today, bit of pressure on him to come in and score a few.. 
    Jaydn's record in the Kent League is poor but he has scored some runs for the 2s. It is a step up but, there again, many of those he will come across today will be of the level he has played against in the 2s - for example, he played against Surrey 2s at the start of June and in the Surrey side were Patel, Sibley, Geddes, Blake, Reifer, Steel, Majid, Moriarty, Taylor, Virdi and Barnwell and eight of those are in Surrey's squad today.

Part of me feels that this has come about for two reasons - one because we are genuinely short of players but two because Kent want to send a message to members that we do have some decent youngsters coming through. The issue is that they have to go down to the 17 year olds to find them and there is no guarantee that they will make it either. Having said that, giving Jaydn the experience at this young age will stand him in good stead and he will, at least, have a mentor in his uncle to help him through the occasion.

I thought might been the case to score runs for the 2s, suppose the better bowlers and pitches help batsman. Wishing him all the best, I know the family will be very proud, that is for sure! 
  • DubaiCAFC said:

Has Jaydn also been "rushed in" because of the name? Having another "Denly" makes more of a good new story, than if he's been called Jaydn Smith for example.
  • Just seen Cox is off across the river.
    Ffs!

• DubaiCAFC said:

Has Jaydn also been "rushed in" because of the name? Having another "Denly" makes more of a good new story, than if he's been called Jaydn Smith for example.

Jaydn is undoubtedly looks a promising talent but hasn't put anything in the book that makes you think "wow". In my opinion, in that respect, his bowling is a lot more consistent than his batting. But he is a talent. I think if Ekansh Singh, who is also 17, had scored a bit more consistently (he is very much as the moment a 20/30/40 and out merchant) or had a second string to his bow (he does bowl military medium but it isn't threatening or consistent) then he might have been given a chance too. 

As for nepotism I would say this. I have witnessed the relatives of former players being "waved through" assessment trials. When the coach doing the assessment is hugging the young player's Dad when the rest of the parents aren't allowed withing shouting distance then there is an undoubted feeling of the prevalence of bias. I've seen a son of a county dynasty of players being given more opportunities in the 2s than his talent or scores have warranted. Once those individuals do get those opportunities they get to bat on wickets that are superior and more consistent than the majority of club tracks. Something that is deprived of those who do not "enjoy" that connection. That said, once they've reached the 1s they have to be judged on their performances alone. Jaydn will know that he will be compared to Joe. It's why Josh de Caires is Josh de Caires even though most people know who is Dad is. I'm sure someone like Fabian Cowdrey, for example, felt it too and that caused him to not be as successful as he would have liked and lead him to make the decision to retire at the age of 24. 

I also do tend to believe that Jaydn's selection has been brought forward because of the criticism of the Club producing so few players and those that have come through leaving for pastures new. That shouldn't be held against Jaydn and I hope that he ends up fulfilling his talent. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:

Jaydn is undoubtedly looks a promising talent but hasn't put anything in the book that makes you think "wow". In my opinion, in that respect, his bowling is a lot more consistent than his batting. But he is a talent. I think if Ekansh Singh, who is also 17, had scored a bit more consistently (he is very much as the moment a 20/30/40 and out merchant) or had a second string to his bow (he does bowl military medium but it isn't threatening or consistent) then he might have been given a chance too. 

As for nepotism I would say this. I have witnessed the relatives of former players being "waved through" assessment trials. When the coach doing the assessment is hugging the young player's Dad when the rest of the parents aren't allowed withing shouting distance then there is an undoubted feeling of the prevalence of bias. I've seen a son of a county dynasty of players being given more opportunities in the 2s than his talent or scores have warranted. Once those individuals do get those opportunities they get to bat on wickets that are superior and more consistent than the majority of club tracks. Something that is deprived of those who do not "enjoy" that connection. That said, once they've reached the 1s they have to be judged on their performances alone. Jaydn will know that he will be compared to Joe. It's why Josh de Caires is Josh de Caires even though most people know who is Dad is. I'm sure someone like Fabian Cowdrey, for example, felt it too and that caused him to not be as successful as he would have liked and lead him to make the decision to retire at the age of 24. 

I also do tend to believe that Jaydn's selection has been brought forward because of the criticism of the Club producing so few players and those that have come through leaving for pastures new. That shouldn't be held against Jaydn and I hope that he ends up fulfilling his talent. 
    I think we have just run out of players to try, we haven’t had a standout 2nd xl player kicking the door down so why not ? It’s what the competition is for. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:

Maybe the case for some families, but knowing the Denly family, they certainly wouldn't have done, or want that. They would have been pretty hard on Jaydn, well that is if Sam is the way Nick was him, and knowing Sam I am pretty sure he would have been. 

If someone has the talent, why not give them a chance, Kent have nothing to lose now! Might as well put a couple of more in, and get rid of the deadwood. 

• I have absolutely zero ill feeling toward Jaydn Denly but this is not a good decision. Averaging 10 in the KCL Champo shows he isn't ready regardless of his Kent 2s or any other form. I hope he makes me eat my words but this is a really odd selection no matter how you try and justify it.
  • Denly replaces Evison, Parkinson replaces Singh.

Sibley vs Compton today, I can't imagine too many switch hits and ramps from either  :D
  • Sponsored links:

• Anyone have a link for the stream today ?
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Maybe the case for some families, but knowing the Denly family, they certainly wouldn't have done, or want that. They would have been pretty hard on Jaydn, well that is if Sam is the way Nick was him, and knowing Sam I am pretty sure he would have been. 

If someone has the talent, why not give them a chance, Kent have nothing to lose now! Might as well put a couple of more in, and get rid of the deadwood. 

Beyond the departing Logan and one assumes Blake, the problem is that there isn't that much "deadwood" that isn't on longer term contracts such as players like Billings (top score 36 from 30 innings this season) and Joe Denly (84 runs in 11 innings in the CC) who are both on long term contracts. 

As for the Denlys, I haven't a bad word to say about them as individuals. Seb has played with and against Jaydn and told me that he had a good chat with Sam in the middle a couple of weeks ago and he took the time after the game to come up to him and say "well batted". I hope Jaydn does well if he plays today but he shouldn't be judged on that one performance. 
  • PaddyP17 said:
    I have absolutely zero ill feeling toward Jaydn Denly but this is not a good decision. Averaging 10 in the KCL Champo shows he isn't ready regardless of his Kent 2s or any other form. I hope he makes me eat my words but this is a really odd selection no matter how you try and justify it.
    I think we are all a bit guilty, because of his uncle being a bat who bowls a bit, of judging Jaydn as being the same. I think he has the capabilities of being a genuine all rounder in white ball especially and his introduction might well be to bowl half a dozen overs and bat at 7. He hasn't been taken apart on many occasions this season but this might be a step up. We shall see. 
  • Help ! Can't find the live stream ! Anyone, please ?
  • Compton gone 48/1

• Not a patch on the spitfire 
  • Anyone have a link for the stream today ?

Sorry Fanny, hadn't seen your post 'til now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-bcWBtjsiA
  • THANK YOU, AA ! You've made an old girl very happy ! 

How the heck you found this though, I have no idea ! 
  • So the team is:

Compton
    DBD
    Leaning
    Blake
    Finch
    Denly (Jaydn)
    Bazley
    Stewart
    Qadri
    Gilchrist
    Parkinson

If it's not on the Kent site, I usually Google "xxxx v Kent Live Stream" and it usually comes up trumps. Quite why it isn't linked from the Kent site I have no idea though 
  • Sponsored links:

• DubaiCAFC said:
    higher average than his uncle this year 😂
  • 104-1 off 20

DBD 46* (51)
    Leaning 24* (27)

If it's not on the Kent site, I usually Google "xxxx v Kent Live Stream" and it usually comes up trumps. Quite why it isn't linked from the Kent site I have no idea though 
    YouTube is always a good place to start.

• At The Oval today. Drummond batting well. 
  • Solid batting performance, though at some stage we'll need to increase the tempo
  • 153-1 off 28. Both DBD and Leaning have reached their 50s

• Solid batting performance, though at some stage we'll need to increase the tempo
    It does look like a typical Oval road
    It does look like a typical Oval road
    Apart from the odd one that turns square as has one of Cam Steele's to DBD - out for 65 (78)

161-2 off 30
  • 204-2 off 38

Really need to get on with it now
  • edited August 2023
    Nice 6 from Blake, a few more of those are needed