Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent CCC 2023

Comments

• 148-4 to 157-8

Start the car up
  • 148-4 to 166-9
  • 203 all out. Lancs win by 125 runs. 
  • Very disappointing…..
  • At the same stage we were 51-4 so Yorkshire are only 63 ahead at this stage for the loss of the same number of wickets but, as I say, are 2 runs behind on DLS. Always liked DLS. 

The last two thrashings serve to demonstrate how fortunate we were to win the game against Yorkshire. I suspect that we have chosen to bat second in the last two games because we don't trust our bowling to defend a total but the other issue is that not enough of our batsmen are capable, on current form, of getting a score - apart from Evison (166) and Compton (120), the rest have barely got 50 in the three games - and they all give it up too easily. That has also been the story in the CC.  
  • I gave up on the stream after watching the Lancs innings, deciding  I'd be less stressed pottering in the garden.

Just caught up with our demise...and finding this a heartbreaking season. After last night's capitulation in Newport, I was hoping for some much needed positivity today but no chance.

After P'Boro on Saturday, I was thinking about trying to persuade Mr F to make the trip to Beckenham on Sunday but honestly can't face it now. Ditto for next Thursday at Canterbury where we normally love to attend a match. 

I'm honestly not a fair weather supporter but enough's enough at the moment. 

Hoping & praying that something changes for the better before next season starts but seems as though a complete overhaul is required...and presumably our budget won't stretch that far. 

Very sad & concerning times.
  • Was at Beckenham last Sunday. The team just seem apathetic and ‘appear’ not to be bothered and quite chilled even though they were being hammered. Watching the live stream today and didn’t seem much different.

Sadly I suspect it will be CC Div2 next season as well. 
  • Terrible season. If Kent were a football team, you'd say that the manager has lost the dressing room.
  • edited August 2023
    I said that we could go after the Aussie Spencer Johnson. Instead we've signed another - Seb's mate Wes Agar 'til the 21st May. Hopefully Seb will get a chance to catch up with him. Jas Singh knows him well too - they played together in Adelaide. Agar is an absolutely massive unit. 

https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/news/wes-agar-joins-kent-for-pre-t20-championship-block/

It was back in April that I mentioned Spencer Johnson which originally came about because Seb "faced" him in Australia in December and he's been about the fastest for a few years in the South Australia Premier League. https://www.playhq.com/cricket-australia/org/saca-premier-cricket/summer-202223/west-end-one-day-cup/game-centre/6466a640  I see from The Hundred thread that he's taken 3 wickets for 1 run off his 20 balls tonight! He's also in the Australian white ball squad to face South Africa. That said Big Wes did OK for us.  
  • Our net run rate is not surprisingly after 2 thrashings, terrible, and easily the worst out of any county. A massive handicap, even if we somehow start winning matches

• Sponsored links:

• Following feedback from Members & supporters in the past week, the Club has been listening, addressing & working on suggestions & feedback on The County Ground, Beckenham.

Since the Spitfires’ last match at The County Ground against Leicestershire Foxes, work has taken place to move the hand operated scorebox from the Copers Cope Road end of the ground to a position near the Pavilion, to give greater scoreboard accuracy to those sitting in the Main Stand.

Work has also been done to improve the readability of the video scorecard attached to the Main Stand for those to view from the Pavilion side of the ground.

There has also been efforts to increase bandwidth to ensure a smoother streaming service on-site for this match

• I said that we could go after the Aussie Spencer Johnson. Instead we've signed another - Seb's mate Wes Agar 'til the 21st May. Hopefully Seb will get a chance to catch up with him. Jas Singh knows him well too - they played together in Adelaide. Agar is an absolutely massive unit. 

https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/news/wes-agar-joins-kent-for-pre-t20-championship-block/

It was back in April that I mentioned Spencer Johnson which originally came about because Seb "faced" him in Australia in December and he's been about the fastest for a few years in the South Australia Premier League. https://www.playhq.com/cricket-australia/org/saca-premier-cricket/summer-202223/west-end-one-day-cup/game-centre/6466a640  I see from The Hundred thread that he's taken 3 wickets for 1 run off his 20 balls tonight! He's also in the Australian white ball squad to face South Africa. That said Big Wes did OK for us.  
    Anderson has been playing T20 in Canada so availability would have been limited.
  • Our net run rate is not surprisingly after 2 thrashings, terrible, and easily the worst out of any county. A massive handicap, even if we somehow start winning matches

Kent are above Surrey!!! I regret switching my cricketing allegiance a few weeks back
    and might come back to kent
  • Kent are above Surrey!!! I regret switching my cricketing allegiance a few weeks back
    and might come back to kent
    Better wait until tomorrow at the Oval. (Mind you Surrey are without 12 players because of The Hundred.)
  • Jayden Denly in the kent squad 

Grim reading for Sussex too. Pujara isn't going to save us every game when we haven't got a bowling attack of any note. 
  • If only we'd had the last 2 games washed out, we'd be 3rd in the table...
  • Joe Denly, Marcus O'Riordan and now Joey Evison are all out injured for tomorrow's match against Surrey. Joe's nephew, 17 year old Jaydn, goes straight into the 14 man squad

• Joe Denly, Marcus O'Riordan and now Joey Evison are all out injured for tomorrow's match against Surrey. Joe's nephew, 17 year old Jaydn, goes straight into the 14 man squad

Oh FFS, the catalogue of injuries this season is ludicrous
  • I got a late call this morning and stood at Seven oaks Vine in their 30 over friendly against Dragons. The visitors went off very quickly but slipped from 126-1 to 149-7, mainly thanks to some tight bowling from James Logan. Dragons got 199 on the end, but the Vine knocked them off with five overs to spare thanks to 101 not out from Logan. He played himself in and then took command, playing very well. One of his sixes smashed a car window! 

I doubt today will affect his Kent chances but hopefully it gives him some better form for the rest of the season.

He was a very nice guy to chat with as he batted and bowled.
  • Sponsored links:

• With Evison now injured, the whole balance of the team is likely to be wrong unless we do actually play Jaydn and perhaps that is the very reason he has been added to the squad. That being the case, I suspect that we might line up something like this:

Compton
    DBD
    Leaning
    Blake
    Finch
    Bazley
    Denly (Jaydn)
    Stewart
    Qadri
    Gilchrist
    Singh
    Parkinson
  • With Evison now injured, the whole balance of the team is likely to be wrong unless we do actually play Jaydn and perhaps that is the very reason he has been added to the squad. That being the case, I suspect that we might line up something like this:

Compton
    DBD
    Leaning
    Blake
    Finch
    Bazley
    Denly (Jaydn)
    Stewart
    Qadri
    Gilchrist
    Singh
    Parkinson
    So Surrey have decided to be generous & allow us to have 12 in our team tomorrow. 

I'd settle for that. :)

Compton
    DBD
    Leaning
    Blake
    Finch
    Bazley
    Denly (Jaydn)
    Stewart
    Qadri
    Gilchrist
    Singh
    Parkinson
    So Surrey have decided to be generous & allow us to have 12 in our team tomorrow. 

How many players would we need to win? 15?

Compton
    DBD
    Leaning
    Blake
    Finch
    Bazley
    Denly (Jaydn)
    Stewart
    Qadri
    Gilchrist
    Singh
    Parkinson
    Think that’s what the compo should be for , to give some of the youngsters exposure to a better standard of Cricket than 2nd Xl stuff. 

Sorry have given one of their 17 year old academy kids a one month contract to play in the Metro. 

I bet we are charging Jayden a match fee and making him bring his own tea. 

Compton
    DBD
    Leaning
    Blake
    Finch
    Bazley
    Denly (Jaydn)
    Stewart
    Qadri
    Gilchrist
    Singh
    Parkinson

I told you the balance of the team was wrong. Playing 12 was the only way I could sort it!!! I'm not sure Jaydn will get in the side on that basis because I'm don't think we will go in with four front line bowlers plus Jaydn/Leaning/DBD to bowl the other 10 overs especially following our refusal to bring Stewart back in the last match after he went for just 17 runs in 6 overs. 

Compton
    DBD
    Leaning
    Blake
    Finch
    Bazley
    Denly (Jaydn)
    Stewart
    Qadri
    Gilchrist
    Singh
    Parkinson

I told you the balance of the team was wrong. Playing 12 was the only way I could sort it!!! I'm not sure Jaydn will get in the side on that basis because I'm don't think we will go in with four front line bowlers plus Jaydn/Leaning/DBD to bowl the other 10 overs especially following our refusal to bring Stewart back in the last match after he went for just 17 runs in 6 overs. 
    Someone mentioned they thought Grant was carrying a knock in the last match & I thought he pulled up a bit sharply when failing to stop a boundary. 

Was that the reason he didn't bowl his full allocation of overs , or was there something else ? 

Compton
    DBD
    Leaning
    Blake
    Finch
    Bazley
    Denly (Jaydn)
    Stewart
    Qadri
    Gilchrist
    Singh
    Parkinson

Someone mentioned they thought Grant was carrying a knock in the last match & I thought he pulled up a bit sharply when failing to stop a boundary. 

Was that the reason he didn't bowl his full allocation of overs , or was there something else ? 
    That might well have been the case because it was strange that he didn't bowl any of the final 38 overs. That being the case, I hope that he isn't subject to a fitness test come the morning.

Compton
    DBD
    Leaning
    Blake
    Finch
    Bazley
    Denly (Jaydn)
    Stewart
    Qadri
    Gilchrist
    Singh
    Parkinson

If they leave Stewart out that still gives them 5x bowlers - Singh ,Gilchrist, Qadri ,Bazeley,  Parky. With JD/Leaning/DBD picking up any of the 50 not completed by the 5 front liners 
  • I know Jaydn is a very talented player, and is going to have a good career. Unless he has been scoring runs for Kent 2s, he has had a poor season for Whitstable averaging just 10 runs. If he plays today, bit of pressure on him to come in and score a few..