Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

**GAME OFF** Morecambe vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 10th December 2022 - 3pm | Match Torture

Morecambe vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 10th December 2022 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Andy Haines

Introduction
Right lads this is it, this is the big one... After all the friendlies, all the preparation, all the debate over whether the Nations League is worth its salt is over... Because tomorrow  we get to see England take on the World Champions France... Wait... What do you mean there is are away games which clashes, do you mean that someone at the Football League didnt think to check the dates to ensure this didnt happen - Well unfortunately thats the case, with Charlton in the form of their lives, you're being forced to choose between a great match, or another damp squid... ironically I could be talking about either encounter.

The Opposition
Name: Morecambe (24th) | Manager: Derek Adams
Ground: Mazuma Stadium
Previous Result: Morecambe 1-1 Exeter City

Last season if you had to pick a surprise package across all four Division of English Football then you'd have to say Morecambe were up there.

No one expected them to win promotion from League Two a few years ago, even when they did, it wasn't going to last, 12 months of joy before it all ended in tears with the Shrimps (not to be confused with the Shrimpers of Southend United) relegated back to the fourth tier... Ironically too their first relegation in the clubs history - However lets take a pause on this delightful history lesson... Because that didnt happen... Of course it didn't we're not playing League Two Football this Saturday, regardless of how soul destroying it may look.

Instead Morecambe defied the odds and survived, mainly thanks to the goals of Cole Stockton who had the season of his life... You could equally argue that Morecambe now find themselves bottom of the table (and looking likely for that first relegation) because Stockton hasn't come close to replicating that form, and has only found the net in two outings (once in the League) this campaign - Sadly though it seems as though Cole has finally found his shooting boots, with both goals coming in the last two matches - Morecambe of course come into this match with the glamourous job of propping up the rest of the Division, but form has been steady rather than disappointing, the Shrimps have lost just two games since the 15th October, and whilst they have just the one win, the five draws (all ending 1-1) show that our opponents are beginning to find some consistency.

Charlton Team News
With Charlton in town this weekend I really wouldn't expect another classic - The biggest highlight of the weekend will surely be for Sam Lavelle, who should finally get to face his old side for the first time since moving to SE7... the Defender joined from Morecambe last August, however injuries prevented him from playing against his old Employer, and come full-time I suspect many Charlton fans will be happy to leave him there too.

Elsewhere and Jayden Stockley will return to the team, allowing Chuks Aneke to take his comfortable spot on the bench, and so be more of an impact against tiring defences - Wednesday evening was a dark moment for fans, what with the loss to Stockport in the FA Cup, however I cling to some hope that they did so to focus on the League and that we will see a slight improvement (Maybe we'll only lose 2-1 this Saturday... Maybe), if anything Anthony Hayes and Jason Pearce will certainly have more time on the training pitch to implement improvements from our display at Edgeley Park!!

Maynard-Brewer
Mitchell - Lavelle - Ness
Clare - Dobson - Forster-Caskey - Sessegnon
Fraser
Rak-Sakyi - Stockley

Substitutes Bench: MacGillivray - Chin - Elerewe - Payne - Morgan - Aneke - Blackett-Taylor

Comments

• Options
    3 -0 defeat with Lavelle getting sent off
  • Options
    Just to add as a little footnote...

Morecambe Goalkeeper: Connor Ripley has just won League One Player of the Month
  • Options

Oh well, he deserves the chance to take a rest.
  • Options
    A comfortable 1-1 away win.
  • Options

which surely says that the Morecambe defence is shaky to say the least .. shame that our 'strikers' will be unlikely to take advantage .. as said Stockton hasn't been able to repeat last season's goalfest and no-one else has taken up the goal king role .. Morecambe will be keen to get away from the foot of the table, just the sort of team who find us easy meat  .. draw at best
  • Options
    1-0 Morecambe. Happy Christmas.
  • Options
    I thought they would have brought the game forward to 12.30 due to the WC. Bloody hell that means I'm up all night 2am for this and then the England game after. 
  • Options
    Anyone got insight on the season for Cole Stockton? When I was checking earlier aug/sept he didn't seem to be in the team.....? poor form....?injury....?fallout with manager....if he has returned to form we'll be lucky to get a draw.... when we need a win. 
    His goals at the Valley last season were class.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Cheers @ForeverAddickted I know it can’t be much fun putting these together at the moment. 

The positive part of me thinks that having Stockley back will give us proper shape and an outlet. Chuks can revert to being the 25 minute Messi and all will come good again.

The other side of me thinks it’s cold, we’re going to get outfought and we’ll have a player sent off for some unnecessary petulant act. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cheers @ForeverAddickted I know it can’t be much fun putting these together at the moment. 

The positive part of me thinks that having Stockley back will give us proper shape and an outlet. Chuks can revert to being the 25 minute Messi and all will come good again.

The other side of me thinks it’s cold, we’re going to get outfought and we’ll have a player sent off for some unnecessary petulant act. 
    Yeah as much as people dont like Stockley, he's been missed the last three games
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Heads up for anyone going that the games at Carlisle, Crewe, Rochdale, Salford and Accrington have already been called off due to Frozen pitches 
  • Options
    edited December 2022

Yeah as much as people dont like Stockley, he's been missed the last three games
    We seem to say this about whoever is out... They become the saviour
  • Options
    Chunes said:

We seem to say this about whoever is out... They become the saviour
    Oh I'm not going that extreme, dont think he's the saviour and has been shit in front of goal.

But as AFKA says, we've lacked shape and an outlet without him - Aneke is alright but mainly against tiring defences
  • Options
    Not losing is a must, but can't really see us winning, 1-1.
  • Options
    That line up is very worrying so hope you are wrong. Three at the back, Lavelle and the two kids. Ouch! I thought Inniss was okay for this game? If so then a back four seems the likely route I think.

I would be surprised if JFC starts. If it is a five man midfield we all know it will be Morgan. I would prefer a four man midfield for this. I also don't think AMB will dislodge McGoalie.

If playing two up front I would prefer Payne or Kirk alongside Stockley. JRS needs a break. He is not a central striker. His strengths are out wide. He has been poor recently and I don't think this is the sort of game for him.

Whatever the team and whatever the formation, this is not going to be easy. A win is hugely needed to help restore some confidence, but I can't see us winning. Cole Stockton is going to score isn't he? Think we may scrape a 1-1 draw, but would love us to sneak a win somehow (please).
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Heads up for anyone going that the games at Carlisle, Crewe, Rochdale and Accrington have already been called off due to Frozen pitches 
    Hoping it’s not called off - my first away of the season so looking forward to it. Given that lots of other matches in the frozen north are biting the dust I’m pretty concerned. 
  • Options
    Scrappy 1-0 win, the push for the play offs starts here.
  • Options
    This is Hayes first real team selection so be interesting. Also what formation. Still 3 at the back? 442, 433? 
    Personally think he may go back to 4 3 3. 
    Also isn't Innis available? Not sure I'd play him though
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    That line up is very worrying so hope you are wrong. Three at the back, Lavelle and the two kids. Ouch! I thought Inniss was okay for this game? If so then a back four seems the likely route I think.

I would be surprised if JFC starts. If it is a five man midfield we all know it will be Morgan. I would prefer a four man midfield for this. I also don't think AMB will dislodge McGoalie.

If playing two up front I would prefer Payne or Kirk alongside Stockley. JRS needs a break. He is not a central striker. His strengths are out wide. He has been poor recently and I don't think this is the sort of game for him.

Whatever the team and whatever the formation, this is not going to be easy. A win is hugely needed to help restore some confidence, but I can't see us winning. Cole Stockton is going to score isn't he? Think we may scrape a 1-1 draw, but would love us to sneak a win somehow (please).
    Yeah my formation was more on what I'd do with the players available rather than what I think we'll see

Something I rarely do with my Previews.

Wasn't sure if Inniss missing Wednesday was a precaution, but actually think both Mitchell and Ness have been better defensively than Lavelle and Inniss these last two games, hence why I'd put them back in - Also put JFC alongside Dobson, so Fraser gets pushed further forwards, but be surprised as often JFC gets in the way when playing alongside a similar player, its happened when he's played with Dobson, and has happened with Cullen too.

Depending on Inniss being fit, we'll probably go back to a 4-4-2 (Zzz), with the below what I expect to see

MacGillivray
    Clare - Inniss - Lavelle - Sessegnon
    Rak-Sakyi - Dobson - Fraser - Campbell
    Stockley - Kirk
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They're an absolute disgrace at the moment, so hopefully they can show some pride at the very least.  I can't stand any of them

• Options
    redman said:
    This is Hayes first real team selection so be interesting. Also what formation. Still 3 at the back? 442, 433? 
    Personally think he may go back to 4 3 3. 
    Also isn't Innis available? Not sure I'd play him though
    Not sure after his injury treatment at the end of the Cheltenham game. Did Hayes mention him post Stockport, to be honest I've not paid attention to the post-match Manager comments a lot this season - Most of it has been white noise
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    I think we should stop committing the sins of seasons past and put players in their proper positions. No more JRS up front just to give Stockley a partner. Put him back on the wing. 
  • Options
    A must win.
  • Options
                                                       McGoalie

Clare   Inniss  Lavelle  Sessegnon     

DJ     Dobson   Fraser        Kirk

Payne   Stockley

That's how I would set up for this game. Super-subs: Aneke, CBT, AMB, Ness, Mitchell, JFC, Kanu
  • Options
    According to the OS, Inniss available 
  • Options
    It's impossible to have any confidence in the side at present after the garbage they've been serving up, although hopefully Hayes will select a stronger side with at least some semblance of a proper structure and plan.

The inclusion of Dobson, Fraser, Blackett-Taylor and Stockley should at least add some stability. Stockley's goal return has been as poor as the (formerly) much-lauded Stockton's this season but we have missed his defensive contribution at set pieces, where we've been more useless than usual in his absence. I personally don't like playing three central defenders and would be tempted to bring back Maynard-Brewer. In terms of the forwards, I certainly don't want to see Kirk starting in a game like this.

Morecambe have had a terrible season but have picked up a few draws in recent weeks. They'll see this game as a great opportunity to pick up three points against a side with a soft underbelly. We need to show some character and fight, as defeat here really will push us towards a relegation battle which I don't think this side have the stomach for. 

The absence of a proper manager is hardly going to help, so let's hope that Sandgaard gets his finger out and makes an appointment in short order (unattractive as the prospect of working for him is). If he fannies around for another 5 weeks as he did in the summer, we may well find ourselves in deep trouble.
  • Options
    Madness games didn't get moved to accommodate those who want to watch England later 
  • Options
    Madness games didn't get moved to accommodate those who want to watch England later 
    Yep.
    All games played at 1pm should have been easy to arrange. 
  • Options
    We should use old fashioned methods to get this side to play. It's gonna be freezing so make them play in short sleeve shirts, hide the winter green and make them use a leather football with laces in it.